2016 Week 1 Depth Chart (MERGED)

AUtigers2324

So is Kam Martin going to be a regular, between the tackles RB at 170 something and with his speed, or is he gonna be O-Mac?

Also, Malik Miller looked great in the spring game until his injury, but I notice he isn't listed on that depth chart.  Anyone know what the story is with him?

6 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

So is Kam Martin going to be a regular, between the tackles RB at 170 something and with his speed, or is he gonna be O-Mac?

Also, Malik Miller looked great in the spring game until his injury, but I notice he isn't listed on that depth chart.  Anyone know what the story is with him?

Hopefully they're going to give Miller a little time to watch and learn and ease him into this thing.  Barring injury, I think Miller's just further down the "go to" chart.  Unless Gus promised him the first carry in the Clemson game like he did for Roc in the Bama game.  (Shudder) 

Kam has to be OMac-like.  No way he can survive going through the tackles at that size. 

Edited by Woodstock Tiger

14 hours ago, WDEKC said:

Trying to decide if it's good or bad that none of our WRs from possibly the best WR recruiting class ever really don't seem to be challenging for starting positions.

Obviously that could change as the year goes on, but I thought at least one of them would be pushing for some serious playing time from the beginning.

They're freshmen and in the rotation- that's already purty good 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Just a guess, but I think Martin will get mostly O-Mac/Grant type work with some RB1 sprinkled in. Those little, compact guys can 1) hide behind blockers, 2) fit through smaller gaps and 3) often bounce off of contact. Additional mass increases the force of a collision, so sometimes a smaller guy- again, if he's compact- can sometimes survive contact quite well. Also, word is he's a tough little SOB and actually pretty good in pass protection. 

And Malik is RB4, so he's likely not to show up on the depth chart. But he will play IMO. 

Edited by McLoofus

Honestly, good OL and good play calling have turned average backs into good backs. AU just needs those 2 things to overcome the losses at RB.

3 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Honestly, good OL and good play calling have turned average backs into good backs. AU just needs those 2 things to overcome the losses at RB.

And, while I appreciated Peyton Barber, he was probably the least effective RB we've had in several years.  No matter how good Jovon might have been if he could have stayed out of the doghouse... the odds of him doing that and being available for every game were not that great.     JMO

I'm comfortable with our RB situation this year and consider that position to be stronger than last year by several notches....and Cox being another year older and stronger will make a big difference too......as will some good OL play.    There is lot of talent at RB this year.

• Like 1

We have a stable of RBs in the backfield who all bring a different type of style to the table. Realistically, we do not need 1 major workhorse to go for 1000 yards to be productive in the backfield. We do need this RB by committee to produce when their numbered is called and to stay healthy.

• Like 2

WOW.  Marlon Davidson beat out Cowart for a starting spot.  I know the kid is supposed to be good, but I don't think some folks appreciate how hard it is to start on the D-Line day 1 in the SEC.

• Like 1

I posted in the other depth chart thread, but LB surprises me with D. Davis and M. Atkinson listed first in the "or" scenario.

4 minutes ago, jcm81 said:

D. Davis and M. Atkinson at LB.  I realize there is an "or" for both, but it's surprising their names are first.

I noticed this too. I'm surprised 

5 minutes ago, jcm81 said:

D. Davis and M. Atkinson at LB.  I realize there is an "or" for both, but it's surprising their names are first.

I just noticed the "or". Both of them come first alphabetically. 

Our starting WR's are severely undersized other than Slayton. Everything else is good. Derrick Brown at 330 pounds... Jeez. Assume Stephen Roberts won't be playing this game, which sucks, but Ruffin, Tray, and Markell should be sufficient. Hoping Tray's bum shoulders don't do him in again this season.

Edited by ClaytonAU

Just now, McLoofus said:

I just noticed the "or". Both of them come first alphabetically. 

It's not alphabetical, look at some of the others listed as "or".

Surprises (to me) on Offense: Will Hastings is an "OR" starter next to Truitt.  Slayton is starting over Stevens.

On Defense: True freshman Marlon Davidson is starting (beast).  Holsey (Sr.) is a backup corner to Davis (Rs Fr).  Ouch.  I expected Holsey to be a starter somewhere on that chart (he is behind Ford at nickel too).  

• Like 1