World Cup 2018

AUDub

Dempsey unselfishly setting up Jozy. Too bad. 

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most that's been asked of Tim all night and he's up to the challenge. 

Ballgame. Beat Panama Tuesday and we're back on track.  

Pulisic is player of the game, and as good as Dempsey was with his hat trick, Pulisic deserves it. 

2 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Fantastic result!  

When was the last time we crushed a team like that? 

[exhales, takes drink of water, packages bottled water to mail to John Brooks]

As an aside, we just bought my daughter a Nike Strike, the same ball they were using tonight. She's so proud of it. Got cleats to match it too. :D

Been a while. Probably Gold cup a few years ago with Donovan. Never looked that dominating though. That core being together made all the difference. 

Just saw we didn't have a corner last night. That's a trip. 

And Honduras had 8 which is crazy as well.  Pretty impressive for the defense to keep the Goose egg

So had they been healthy, would we likely have seen Yedlin and Fabian Johnson at RB/LB, with Cameron sliding back in to CB with Brooks? Also, where/who would Bobby Wood replaced had he been healthy?

Also, looks like John Brooks will be out against Panama.

4 hours ago, AUTUmike said:

So had they been healthy, would we likely have seen Yedlin and Fabian Johnson at RB/LB, with Cameron sliding back in to CB with Brooks? Also, where/who would Bobby Wood replaced had he been healthy?

Also, looks like John Brooks will be out against Panama.

Probably. Gonzalez did not have a good game at what would probably have been Cameron's spot. At LB, Arena supposedly likes Villafaña a lot, but it probably would have been Johnson there. 

I imagine Clint would have been the odd man out up front. 

I would think Woods would be a 70' substitution (maybe 2ND half sub).  Clint has too much experience as a veteran scorer to take him out IMO. That goal in the box Friday is what I am talking about.   I think Woods would replace Jozy if he were to start or one of either Clint or Jozy as a sub depending on the situation. 

Pulisic needs to play.  

9 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I would think Woods would be a 70' substitution (maybe 2ND half sub).  Clint has too much experience as a veteran scorer to take him out IMO. That goal in the box Friday is what I am talking about.   I think Woods would replace Jozy if he were to start or one of either Clint or Jozy as a sub depending on the situation. 

Pulisic needs to play.  

Just going by what Bruce supposedly told Clint before the match. 

Clint's still playing at a high level, but he won't be with us forever. The lineup of the future is most likely going to be Wood and Jozy up front, and I'd be very happy with it.

ETA: It's a good bet there's a transfer to the EPL in Wood's future. Apparently, both Merseyside clubs and Leicester are watching him very carefully. 

16 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

Probably. Gonzalez did not have a good game at what would probably have been Cameron's spot. At LB, Arena supposedly likes Villafaña a lot, but it probably would have been Johnson there. 

I imagine Clint would have been the odd man out up front. 

Gotcha. Yeah Cameron and Brooks are great together, so I'd think that would surely be the answer once everyone is healthy.

I don't follow soccer at all outside of the national team, but for my money I would much rather see Wood replace Altidore and keep Dempsey out there.

I started to try and come up with line ups that put yedlin wood and Fabian on the field ... even looking at a 3-5-2

i can't come up with anything that doesn't mess up pulisic and Dempsey.  Neither of those guys is really a defender.  Dempsey as a 10 sitting under woods/altidore but that would withdraw pulisic as an 8.

i would never be a good coach.  E finally have pieces to think about.

i thought nagbe was quiet this game

15 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

I started to try and come up with line ups that put yedlin wood and Fabian on the field ... even looking at a 3-5-2

i can't come up with anything that doesn't mess up pulisic and Dempsey.  Neither of those guys is really a defender.  Dempsey as a 10 sitting under woods/altidore but that would withdraw pulisic as an 8.

i would never be a good coach.  E finally have pieces to think about.

My ideal lineup right now is a 4-1-2-1-2

Wood - Jozy up front

Pulisic at attacking midfielder

Nagbe - Bedoya (tentative, too bad Lleget will be out for a while) on the wings

Bradley at holding midfielder

Johnson - Brooks - Cameron - Yedlin across the back

Howard (tentatively) between the sticks

Dempsey as the super sub

19 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

i thought nagbe was quiet this game

Quiet on the offensive end but for that one dribble early, but he took a lot of pressure off of Bradley and was very disruptive defensively. Led us in tackles, breaking up many Honduran attacks. His performance was the type that fans won't notice, but that coaches absolutely love.

Mexico and the Soca Warriors about to go to half scoreless. 

18 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

My ideal lineup right now is a 4-1-2-1-2

Wood - Jozy up front

Pulisic at attacking midfielder

Nagbe - Bedoya (tentative, too bad Lleget will be out for a while) on the wings

Bradley at holding midfielder

Johnson - Brooks - Cameron - Yedlin across the back

Howard (tentatively) between the sticks

Dempsey as the super sub

I could live with that.  Love love love Pulisic as attacking midfielder. Just glad we finally have a player qualified to be a #10 since Donovan.  He can set up others and score from all over the field. How are his free kicks on goal? Have not seen any yet. 

1 minute ago, AUBwins said:

I could live with that.  Love love love Pulisic as attacking midfielder. Just glad we finally have a player qualified to be a #10 since Donovan.  He can set up others and score from all over the field. How are his free kicks on goal? Have not seen any yet. 

Here's one from a few years back.

MajorComplicatedBronco-size_restricted.g

I think he could fulfill the role, but as long as Dempsey is on the field, I would prefer it be him. That goal Friday was cheeky. Poor keeper. 

4 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Here's one from a few years back.

MajorComplicatedBronco-size_restricted.g

I think he could fulfill the role, but as long as Dempsey is on the field, I would prefer it be him. That goal Friday was cheeky. Poor keeper. 

Yep.  That'll work.  I agree on Dempsey.  It was pretty sick.  Reminded me of the Messi goal on us last year.  Funny thing is when Clint was lining up, you could just feel that he would score it. Maybe it was because of the way we were playing.  I had the same feeling with Messi.  I almost cringed when he was approaching because I expected it to go in.  It was definitely pretty to watch both of those goals.  I liked that side kick goal by Spain Thursday too. It was a little nasty. 

Everyone here have beIN? I signed up for it last year when the MNT was playing a qualifier on it and love it. Great for keeping up with La Liga, Serie A and the League Championship. 

5 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Yep.  That'll work.  I agree on Dempsey.  It was pretty sick.  Reminded me of the Messi goal on us last year.  Funny thing is when Clint was lining up, you could just feel that he would score it. Maybe it was because of the way we were playing.  I had the same feeling with Messi.  I almost cringed when he was approaching because I expected it to go in.  It was definitely pretty to watch both of those goals.  I liked that side kick goal by Spain Thursday too. It was a little nasty. 

The way Clint was moving after the ball left his foot was hilarious. He knew it was in as soon as he struck it.

Archived