2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

RunInRed

59 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I just want to point out as the president of the gatewood fan club two years ago I said he would be the type of recruit that would have the charisma that would recruit for us and the type of guy who other big name players would want to play for....two years ago!

Kudos!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

You apparently are the president of the humble brag club as well!!! CHEEEERS! haha.

There's no humble to it with Cole. Lol. That is in no way a knock BTW.

On 4/10/2017 at 6:08 PM, ellitor said:

There's no humble to it with Cole. Lol. That is in no way a knock BTW.

I mean calling something 2 years in advance is pretty good stuff. That's almost you one day saying if Cole says it you should listen. I should be on the cusp of that now. I should already be there with basketball but I don't want to get off topic

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I mean calling something 2 years in advance is pretty good stuff. That's almost you one day saying if Cole says it you should listen. I should be on the cusp of that now. I should already be there with basketball but I don't want to get off topic

someone is still champagne and campaigning I see!!! haha WOOOO!!!! Live it up man.

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

someone is still champagne and campaigning I see!!! haha WOOOO!!!! Live it up man.

Yeah I was talking to E.....that's a inside joke we have....I don't really know you, you're new to me so I'm going to have to see a few more of your post before I decide if you're worthy lol

Edited by cole256

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Yeah I was talking to E.....that's a inside joke we have....I don't really know you, you're new to me so I'm going to have to see a few more of your post before I decide if you're worthy lol

MAYBE this is a inside joke with me and jalen rose and I am the one who has to decide if YOU are worthy?! EH! EH! ever think of that? lol

10 hours ago, cole256 said:

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

MAYBE this is a inside joke with me and jalen rose and I am the one who has to decide if YOU are worthy?! EH! EH! ever think of that? lol

THIS is the beef that America needs right now. Please, gents, carry on.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

5813126C-A0A2-78EF-1433664E4C8FCBAB.jpg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Are we sure VIper is part of the humble brag club?

There was a gif in his post on March 27th. It doesn't show up and I can't find the gif on the net. Anyway if you remember the gif, it resoundingly answers your question.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Nah he has to get his weight up first. I'm like Nas in this football board beef game, right now he's like young thug....I can't beef with him until I see some substance lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Nah he has to get his weight up first. I'm like Nas in this football board beef game, right now he's like young thug....I can't beef with him until I see some substance lol

well you never will. I do not bring any substance. I am like Drake I ain't about that hug life but I am about that hug life on Degrassi!!! WOOOO!!

• Like 2

Don't mention drake on here. Foundation eagle called him a gangster rapper on the board one time! One of the funniest things ever IMO

Understanding Joey Gatewood’s HS quarterback situation

I’ve heard a lot about his from readers, so I wanted to dedicate the second half of this notebook to give everyone a better understanding of Joey Gatewood’s quarterback situation at Bartram Trail High in Jacksonville, Fla.

The reason I bring this up: Gatewood was asked on Saturday about his future at the quarterback position in high school. Will his coaches spread him around the field as a wide receiver, running back and elsewhere in 2017?

Gatewood’s answer was simple.

“I’ll be back at QB only,” he said.

That’s the goal, but it’s more complicated than that.

Last season, Gatewood had two other impressive high school quarterbacks on his high school team: Jordan Smith and Riley Smith. Jordan Smith was the senior, so he was given priority at times. He ended up committing to Gardner-Webb.

DSC_0007-2_yuskzb.jpg
Auburn QB commit Joey Gatewood (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Now it’s just Gatewood and Riley Smith. Gatewood is the bigger playmaker and athlete of the two, but Smith is a stud in his own right.

For some perspective, his last three unofficial visits have been to Harvard, Yale and Princeton. But Smith isn’t just a cerebral guy. He looks the part. At 6-foot-4 and 200 pounds, Smith often looks like the most physically impressive quarterback at camps. When I went to an Orlando Under Armour camp in February, Smith stood out more than any quarterback — and, oh yeah, Gatewood was there.

That’s not a knock on Gatewood who is developing well as a quarterback and can make plays that few other high school prospects can make. It’s just a testament to the tricky quarterback competition at Bartram Trail.

Even trickier, Smith is likely to pick up a little more college interest in the upcoming evaluation period. The Ivy League schools want him for his brain, but FBS-level programs — Central Michigan, Troy and Western Michigan have offered — are likely to show more interest in the coming weeks.

I’ve spoken with people close to both Gatewood and Smith. Most parties have admitted that it’s going to be tough for both to stay at Bartram Trail next season. For Gatewood, Smith’s presence could stunt his QB development. For Smith, Gatewood’s presence can take away from the exposure he needs and deserves from college coaches.

In short, Gatewood probably is right that he’ll only be a quarterback in 2017, but it’s going to likely take some school shifting from either him or Smith, and that’s not always logistically feasible.

But to get something important out of the way: Gatewood hasn’t been a backup quarterback because of his own personal skill set.

He’s been with two other college-level quarterbacks who also deserve to play the position and get their chance at college exposure. It doesn’t hurt that a high school coach knows he can stretch Gatewood out wide and have one of the best weapons on the high school stage stay on the field.

Edited by ellitor

I liked seeing the confidence behind JG saying he's confident that he will make Ross his WR. 

Ross also tweeted this to JG and JG and Shaun Shivers both responded to him, which was pretty cool to see. 

Seeing QBs (or any player for that matter) make a serious effort to help recruit while still in HS is always one of my favorite things to see. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ellitor said:

That’s not a knock on Gatewood who is developing well as a quarterback and can make plays that few other high school prospects can make. It’s just a testament to the tricky quarterback competition at Bartram Trail.

Even trickier, Smith is likely to pick up a little more college interest in the upcoming evaluation period. The Ivy League schools want him for his brain, but FBS-level programs — Central Michigan, Troy and Western Michigan have offered — are likely to show more interest in the coming weeks.

I’ve spoken with people close to both Gatewood and Smith. Most parties have admitted that it’s going to be tough for both to stay at Bartram Trail next season. For Gatewood, Smith’s presence could stunt his QB development. For Smith, Gatewood’s presence can take away from the exposure he needs and deserves from college coaches.

In short, Gatewood probably is right that he’ll only be a quarterback in 2017, but it’s going to likely take some school shifting from either him or Smith, and that’s not always logistically feasible.

But to get something important out of the way: Gatewood hasn’t been a backup quarterback because of his own personal skill set.

He’s been with two other college-level quarterbacks who also deserve to play the position and get their chance at college exposure. It doesn’t hurt that a high school coach knows he can stretch Gatewood out wide and have one of the best weapons on the high school stage stay on the field.

What this article tells us is that Gatewood wasn't the clear-cut best QB on his high school team last year and may not be this coming year either. I like that he's kept his commitment to AU and is pushing to recruit for this class. He needs to be his team's main QB this coming season to get some experience under pressure. Otherwise a year of redshirting and two more on the bench may not be enough for him to excel in the SEC.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

What this article tells us is that Gatewood wasn't the clear-cut best QB on his high school team last year and may not be this coming year either. I like that he's kept his commitment to AU and is pushing to recruit for this class. He needs to be his team's main QB this coming season to get some experience under pressure. Otherwise a year of redshirting and two more on the bench may not be enough for him to excel in the SEC.

Yeah, that read could be taken several ways for sure. It's an odd situation down there, not sure I've seen the likes of this before. And you are absolutely correct that JG needs to be the guy at QB this year, he needs to raise his experience level a lot or it could really hinder him in the future. 

Just now, NoALtiger said:

Yeah, that read could be taken several ways for sure. It's an odd situation down there, not sure I've seen the likes of this before. And you are absolutely correct that JG needs to be the guy at QB this year, he needs to raise his experience level a lot or it could really hinder him in the future. 

Not if he ends up at WR or TE at AU which is very possible.

We'll just watch the Lamar Jackson thing happen again and you'll have a group of guys who will say that was a great decision sarcastically. Then you'll have another group of guys try to tell you he's great at that school but couldn't have played here.  Then you're regular didn't want him anyway group. Then the group who gets mad that you talk about the guy being successful somewhere else and will wait for that one bad game to say look he's not really good!

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

We'll just watch the Lamar Jackson thing happen again and you'll have a group of guys who will say that was a great decision sarcastically. Then you'll have another group of guys try to tell you he's great at that school but couldn't have played here.  Then you're regular didn't want him anyway group. Then the group who gets mad that you talk about the guy being successful somewhere else and will wait for that one bad game to say look he's not really good!

Honest question, no agenda: do you think Gatewood is as good- or at least in the same ballpark- as Jackson? We were all super high on him early on but it seems like general opinion has cooled on him a little bit. Still an elite athlete but maybe not developing at QB on schedule. Just asking you because I value your opinion.

He seems to still be super fired up about his Auburn commitment and I really hope it stays that way. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Honest question, no agenda: do you think Gatewood is as good- or at least in the same ballpark- as Jackson? We were all super high on him early on but it seems like general opinion has cooled on him a little bit. Still an elite athlete but maybe not developing at QB on schedule. Just asking you because I value your opinion.

He seems to still be super fired up about his Auburn commitment and I really hope it stays that way. 

As good as Jackson now? No. But at the same stage? Yes. Jackson didn't have another scholarship qb behind him though. Gatewood at 80% other schools, clear cut qb easy. Some of the guys that are good prospects like bo nix....he'd be in the same situation at this school had he'd been unlucky enough to be in this situation. 

I know you have seen me write about my cousin that plays basketball for Tennessee, while he went to high school in Huntsville nobody even knew his back up name, when my cousin left to prep school img in Florida that back up was an all district player his FIRST year playing. Just because my cousin was there didn't mean his back up sucked.

Also i you may have seen my harping over us not taking the safety named woods but we took the safety Peters. I just posted an article on woods rival thread about how he's been killing guys at Michigan. They say he brings that down south hitting style and he's just 17 no weight program yet, i wasn't saying Peters sucked because apparently he's one of the more athletic guys on the team, woods is just a different breed than I've ever seen. They both are D1 guys. They both are impressive, if they both played on one team though at the same position Woods would be the one playing though. Doesn't change both are better than 90% of guys at their position in the state

• Like 2

To me, he is an elite athlete that could develop into a great QB(especially now that we have a couple true QB coaches). I believe he is behind in his development at QB due to his team's focus at other positions. However, I also believe he could be a monster TE in the manner of OJ was for ua.  Either way, I am thrilled he is committed to us and love the passion he is showing on the recruiting trail. 

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, cole256 said:

As good as Jackson now? No. But at the same stage? Yes.

Yep, definitely meant at the same stage. I hate it when folks try to compare high school kids to 3rd and 4th year college guys. 

• Like 1