Tenth Assistant coach talk (Merged)

Newbomb

23 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Good. We really, really, really need UT to start competing with bama and uga again. The dumpster fire in Knoxville has made everything easier for our main two rivals and I'm sick of it. I'm hoping Mullen can do big things at Florida, too. I realize this will make things a little harder on us, but not to the extent that it would bama and uga. 

That times 1000.

With Tennessee on Alabama's schedule, Florida on LSU's schedule, and both on Georgia's schedule, it does nothing but help Auburn if Tennessee and Florida become properly competitive again.  I am even hoping South Carolina and Mizzou can become consistently competitive.  Let the East have a taste of what the SEC West meat grinder was like for awhile.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Strychnine said:

That times 1000.

With Tennessee on Alabama's schedule, Florida on LSU's schedule, and both on Georgia's schedule, it does nothing but help Auburn if Tennessee and Florida become properly competitive again.  I am even hoping South Carolina and Mizzou can become consistently competitive.  Let the East have a taste of what the SEC West meat grinder was like for awhile.

Didn't even think about UF vs LSU. Great point. 

1 hour ago, Strychnine said:

I am even hoping South Carolina and Mizzou can become consistently competitive.

USCe will be opening a Football Operations Center in 2018. Champ made short work of that issue. Still mind-boggling that we don't have that at AU. I believe that, along with staff incentives, was VERY high on Gus' new contract requirements.

http://expandingourvision.com/football/

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Jeff, just look at the thing's setup. Auburn assigns geographical recruiting areas to assistant coaches. T-Will has Greater Atlanta. That's the most populated area in the entire South and in near proximity to Auburn. Of course T-Will is going to top our list. We may have some coaches that are better recruiters than others but this outfit's method of assessing that is absolute nonsense. What area is assigned to Horton? Wherever it is, it's nowhere near as easy to pull players from as is Greater Atlanta. They are comparing apples and oranges.

IN WHAT WORLD do you live in is there a better recruiter on staff currently than Twill?! Ever since he became a full time on the field position coach he has been our best recruiter. Like @McLoofus said there is a reason our best recruiter is in the most talented region of our recruiting base. Was garner a better recruiter in his prime as a younger man? Probaly. But I think Twill will eventually be the best recruiter AU has ever had as a assistant. WAR DAMN T WILL!!!!!!!! NEVER LEAVE US!!!

36 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

IN WHAT WORLD do you live in is there a better recruiter on staff currently than Twill?! Ever since he became a full time on the field position coach he has been our best recruiter. Like @McLoofus said there is a reason our best recruiter is in the most talented region of our recruiting base. Was garner a better recruiter in his prime as a younger man? Probaly. But I think Twill will eventually be the best recruiter AU has ever had as a assistant. WAR DAMN T WILL!!!!!!!! NEVER LEAVE US!!!

I didn't say there is a better recruiter, or anything close to that. I said T-Will has Atlanta as his geographical base, which means that rating coaches on their recruiting results when they have different bases is an apples to oranges comparison. Give any other of our coaches that base and he'll look pretty darn good too. That takes nothing away from Williams, but such a system is doing a dis-service to the other coaches. That rating system is like playing with loaded dice, or to use another term, the system's results are not based on a level playing field. Give me Atlanta to sell widgets and give you Dothan and statistically I'll do a lot better than you do, regardless of our relative sales abilities.

20 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I didn't say there is a better recruiter, or anything close to that. I said T-Will has Atlanta as his geographical base, which means that rating coaches on their recruiting results when they have different bases is an apples to oranges comparison. Give any other of our coaches that base and he'll look pretty darn good too. That takes nothing away from Williams, but such a system is doing a dis-service to the other coaches. That rating system is like playing with loaded dice, or to use another term, the system's results are not based on a level playing field. Give me Atlanta to sell widgets and give you Dothan and statistically I'll do a lot better than you do, regardless of our relative sales abilities.

Guarantee you if you put any other assistant besides garner in twill's area they would not have near the success that T will has. He is that damn good.

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Guarantee you if you put any other assistant besides garner in twill's area they would not have near the success that T will has. He is that damn good.

So what? Their rating system is flawed, is my point.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

So what? Their rating system is flawed, is my point.

so what? I do not care what your point is. I have my own agenda!!!! TWILL!!! TWILL!!!! my man crush!!! WOOO!!!!!! lol

^Entertaining conversation. Seriously. 

I don't suppose there's a list of candidates for the 10th spot? I think I saw somewhere, maybe in this thread, that Gus "has a plan". I'm guessing we won't know that plan until the hire happens?

How about Al Borges as QB coach ?....got some good young guys on the roster now and maybe some specific "development" time for Willis and Joey G.? 

In my opinion Horton, Garner, Porter would all do very well in T-Will's area.  Obviously he's doing something right but he has the right area to be able to do well.  T-Will is doing what he's supposed to be doing.  Bringing energy and recruiting well.  Lets see if he can start getting us some of the linebackers that are in the Top 5 of their respective positions then lets talk recruiting.  AU with me recruiting at LB should be able to get a top 20 LB.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

How about Al Borges as QB coach ?....got some good young guys on the roster now and maybe some specific "development" time for Willis and Joey G.? 

Al's time has passed.  He's at AU now to study film and isn't even involved in coaching much.  He's here to collect a small paycheck but to mainly get the state retirement and insurance benefits after retirement and he and his wife love the Auburn area.  

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

Al's time has passed.  He's at AU now to study film and isn't even involved in coaching much.  He's here to collect a small paycheck but to mainly get the state retirement and insurance benefits after retirement and he and his wife love the Auburn area.  

Thanks....I figured that but he was known for developing QBs and while his offense might have passed, I was wondering if his ability to help young QB prospects hone their QB skills might still be something to consider?      Guess AU is in a position to pull a good coach from somewhere but with all the new coaching jobs suddenly available, we could also be at risk of losing one of ours.  

Lots of coach shuffling coming up soon.

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Thanks....I figured that but he was known for developing QBs and while his offense might have passed, I was wondering if his ability to help young QB prospects hone their QB skills might still be something to consider?      Guess AU is in a position to pull a good coach from somewhere but with all the new coaching jobs suddenly available, we could also be at risk of losing one of ours.  

Lots of coach shuffling coming up soon.

I think Borges greatest asset was his ability to play call not coach although he did a fair job of on field coaching as well but that was now almost 15 years ago.  

I heard a while back that it would be a Special teams/defensive coach as the 10th.  Special teams was definitely a low point this season

23 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I think Borges greatest asset was his ability to play call not coach although he did a fair job of on field coaching as well but that was now almost 15 years ago.  

Thanks....that could be...I just recall that he got credit for developing Jason Campbell and a couple of other QBs that made it to the NFL ...but that's a while back. 

It seems that most of our best recruiters are on the defense. We could use a strong offensive recruiter especially in Ga. Dell McGee is the obvious choice assuming we could get him. 

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but I've seen Shelton Felton's name being thrown around on some other sites as a possibility for the 10th position.  He is at UT Chattanooga now coaching LB's.  Former Crisp County HC who was rumored to be hired last year as a defensive analyst when Big Cat Bryant signed with us.  Not sure how the rule on former coaches impacts this situation as he is coaching at a 4yr school now.  Also not sure how or if this would impact Quay Walker's current recruitment.

Just now, Tiger said:

IDK who this Shelton Felton guy is but I'm in love with his name

Agree.

Big Cat Bryant and Shelton Felton sound like a great wrestler/manager team, actually. They'd start out as heels, and then Big Cat would turn face at some point. But Prince Tega Wanogho would then turn heel and be managed by Shelton Felton and he'd do this whole thing with a cape and a crown and start going by "His Royal Majesty" and...

...I'm jacking this thread, aren't I? I'm sorry. I really am. 

31 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Agree.

Big Cat Bryant and Shelton Felton sound like a great wrestler/manager team, actually. They'd start out as heels, and then Big Cat would turn face at some point. But Prince Tega Wanogho would then turn heel and be managed by Shelton Felton and he'd do this whole thing with a cape and a crown and start going by "His Royal Majesty" and...

...I'm jacking this thread, aren't I? I'm sorry. I really am. 

LOL that escalated quickly and I wouldn't have it any other way

I need an LSUFreek gif rendition of this post ASAP

30 minutes ago, Tiger said:

LOL that escalated quickly and I wouldn't have it any other way

I need an LSUFreek gif rendition of this post ASAP

The best I could come up with on short notice (no pun intended):

C1C8DFED-25FA-48E0-BE1F-A2590EE9FCB2.gif

I'm hoping that we give E conflicted emotions. It's a threadjack... but it's wrestling... but it's a threadjack... but it's wrestling...

Good thing is it's in the main forum and he'll probably never see it. ;D

Archived