Biggest needs

bigbird

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Safety 

DT

C

WR

QB

We were so close to addressing the safety issue this yr.    We almost had two stud safeties and that would have made a huge difference today.   

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, lala said:

We were so close to addressing the safety issue this yr.    We almost had two stud safeties and that would have made a huge difference today.   

Absolutely.  To me, that was the only miss to this class. Hunter or Avery would've made this class great instead of really good

43 minutes ago, lala said:

Carlito Gonzalez is a stud..  

To reel in Gatewood, LB, S, and WR. Actually let's just sign the players that Gus and this coaching staff really want because that will mean that 2017 was a huge success and everyone stays put ?

15 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

More 5-star recruits and not so many 3-stars. It works for other teams, so why not us.

Biggest problem is there are maybe thirty 5* HS players and Bama, Ohio State, Michigan and FSU got about 2/3rds of them this year.... leaving the remaining 10 or so to be divided by more than 100 schools.   Frankly, to me it is like basketball...the top teams get the top rated guys and the other 120 schools are scrambling over less than a dozen 5* players.   Note that FSU and Michigan both had ten 3* players each....same number as AU.

You just have to do the best you can...but I don't see it in the cards for AU to get more than a couple 5* in any given year......just have to out coach 'em on the field. 

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2017

6 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

More 5-star recruits and not so many 3-stars. It works for other teams, so why not us.

We got 3 guys who were rated 5*s by at least 1 site. We usually only get 1 or 2 in a class.

1. Safety as we will be losing 3 after this year

2. DT always need at least one a year ideally an elite one - We have a couple now who if they show out could leave early

3. OT always the hardest to find

4. LB always need about 3 per class for depth, special teams and for the ones that don't work out.

5. CB - Lock down corner anytime one is available and you can get them you need them ideally bigger ones who could also play safety or nickel

6. Buck as we always need a pass rusher who can also contain QB in the pocket

Depth at all positions

1. Joey Gatewood or we will have zero depth again.  And no matter how good you are, you don't win if you score 10 points.   ( Yeah I recall we beat State once, 3-2.)

2. DT   will we go JUCO and recruit HS?

28 minutes ago, Beaker said:

1. Joey Gatewood or we will have zero depth again.  And no matter how good you are, you don't win if you score 10 points.   ( Yeah I recall we beat State once, 3-2.)

AU is on a few QB's in 2018. 

32 minutes ago, Beaker said:

My guess is it will be high school kids because barring attrition we will not need a juco DT. We will have 3 SRs, 3 JRs, & 2 RS Freshmen on roster for the 2018 season not counting whatever we get in the 2018 class.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

My guess is it will be high school kids because barring attrition we will not need a juco DT. We will have 3 SRs, 3 JRs, & 2 RS Freshmen on roster for the 2018 season not counting whatever we get in the 2018 class.

thanks....seems like we are starting to build some depth (if these recruits work out).  pass me some more kool aid.

I will always go with the trenches first.(ol)(DL)

Cb

Safety

Buck/Rusher

Te

Lb

Qb

Rb

Wr

An elite pass rusher, a power back, a lock down corner, an elite return man, a 6-5 receiver with great hands, an all-American left tackle, the best DT QB available.

Just those seven guys. 

Every Year starts with OL, DL, QB.  Every year.  Then you fill in your biggest needs from there.  You never have OL , DL, or QB down in the bottom or anywhere near it.  Folks who put QB near the bottom are going to feel funny if JS is a one and done QB.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 3:48 PM, bigbird said:

With the addition of this class, what positions do you see as needing to be addressed most in the 2018 class?

HC,OL....ohhhh... you meant players...NEVERMIND

1 hour ago, NorthGATiger said:

Every Year starts with OL, DL, QB.  Every year.  Then you fill in your biggest needs from there.  You never have OL , DL, or QB down in the bottom or anywhere near it.  Folks who put QB near the bottom are going to feel funny if JS is a one and done QB.

Completely agree , I would add LB next.Every year regardless!!

On 2/1/2017 at 7:43 PM, AU64 said:

Biggest problem is there are maybe thirty 5* HS players and Bama, Ohio State, Michigan and FSU got about 2/3rds of them this year.... leaving the remaining 10 or so to be divided by more than 100 schools.   Frankly, to me it is like basketball...the top teams get the top rated guys and the other 120 schools are scrambling over less than a dozen 5* players.   Note that FSU and Michigan both had ten 3* players each....same number as AU.

You just have to do the best you can...but I don't see it in the cards for AU to get more than a couple 5* in any given year......just have to out coach 'em on the field. 

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2017

I would say a more realistic thing to want is more high profile 4 stars. I.E. the 4 stars that are still in the top 100 or barely missed the cut. That to me seems to be what we are lacking. No team besides the ones you named have a realistic shot to get more than 1 or 2 five stars a year. We need to work on getting more quality 4 stars and less 3 stars.

On 2/1/2017 at 2:48 PM, bigbird said:

With the addition of this class, what positions do you see as needing to be addressed most in the 2018 class?

Linebackers. We'll need more LB's. We've now signed a total of four in the past two years. That's not enough to maintain, let alone improve.

I don't post very often, but I was wondering since we didn't sign all we could have on signing day would we not be filling some of these holes with graduate transfers or would we just try to get early enrollees that would count against last year?

33 minutes ago, alabastertiger said:

I don't post very often, but I was wondering since we didn't sign all we could have on signing day would we not be filling some of these holes with graduate transfers or would we just try to get early enrollees that would count against last year?

A little too soon to know for sure.

1 hour ago, alabastertiger said:

There's not a straight answer to this right now. A piece of NCAA legislation has to be decided first.. There is a movement to get a rule passed that stops teams from allowing January enrollies count to the previous year's 25 enrolled limit. Now if that is part of 1 piece legislation tied in with the 10th assistant & December signing period it is unlikely to be passed as most legislations that have multiple things tied to it does not get passed by the NCAA often. If it is passed however then AU would have to fill the remaining spots with transfers & grad transfers this Summer if it wants to use all 25 enrolled spots. The staff may choose to do anyway since it did not meet a couple of needs it had on the board.

Archived