Jarrett Stidham to be named Auburn's Starting QB

RunInRed

Just now, McLoofus said:

I fear you're right. Definitely a little sunshine/optimistic slant to my post. Probably more about me just being scared on principal of having a true FR at QB in a meaningful moment. 

Also, I was just reading another thread where you and someone else were discussing whether or not there's any value in MW keeping his redshirt, and now that I think about it... maybe you guys are right and there's really not? That's another thing that I've just kind of stated without really thinking about it. Curious what others think? 

The only reason I question the RS is based on the future for us. Ok, say JS doesn't get hurt and balls out. If he leaves next year (which I doubt) you have wasted time not giving a kid live experience. IF JS does get hurt, you absolutely need to pull the RS anyhow. Then I think, we have JG coming in and possibly Justin...what good is keeping MW red shirted when you have those guys coming in, who possibly will go at him for #2 or even starter? You might as well give him some game time experience, instead of bringing in 2 or 3 guys who have zero experience behind JS. Also, I am of the assumption SW will transfer. I think he needs to heal up this year and come along strong for next year..just don't think it will be us.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DAG said:

The only reason I question the RS is based on the future for us. Ok, say JS doesn't get hurt and balls out. If he leaves next year (which I doubt) you have wasted time not giving a kid live experience. IF JS does get hurt, you absolutely need to pull the RS anyhow. Then I think, we have JG coming in and possibly Justin...what good is keeping MW red shirted when you have those guys coming in, who possibly will go at him for #2 or even starter? You might as well give him some game time experience, instead of bringing in 2 or 3 guys who have zero experience behind JS. Also, I am of the assumption SW will transfer. I think he needs to heal up this year and come along strong for next year..just don't think it will be us.

Can't argue with any of that. Might also be a recruiting plus if a FR gets on the field for us this year.

Whatever is best for winning games this year is what the staff will do, I'm sure. Will be very interesting to see how they handle any games where the result isn't really in question, though. 

And no matter what condition Sean is in, I still feel like we're in a better place this year than the last 2 going into the season. Even if we can't depend on him to make the tough throws, we should be able to at least depend on him to (*puke*) manage the game. 

25 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Very excited about PT's potential!!!!

So they decided to move BSmith over to LG?  Solid move. (I was a little worried about 2 youngins on the left side)

So, the RG side is between Horton, Bell, and Harrell?  If those other 2 guys are really making it a close competition with Horton, then I feel really good about our depth there. 

Could have my guard positions backwards. 

7 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Don't forget, we could always go with Cox behind center in some of those spinning Wing T plays...  I kid. 

All jokes aside, I'm curious if CCL has run much Wildcat in the past. I'm in the minority in thinking that KJ has been very effective for us in that role. Maybe more out of necessity than anything, but I'm okay if we dust it off from time to time this year. 

29 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

All I've seen is that Sean isn't 100%. If he's at 50%, then no, he doesn't need to be on the field. But if he's, say, 85-90% then he's probably still better than a true FR, even a preturnaturally gifted one. 

We definitely need to try to have both SW and MW as ready as we can get them, but I'm all for keeping the freshman's shirt red as long as possible. 

Agree on the SW issue but guess it would depend on a lot of things......to finish up a game for JS would be fine but on the other hand, if something happened early in the season, I would not think SW would be a good #2 to finish out a season.     We've seen enough instances around the country where the #1 QB goes down mid season and there is no reliable #2.  

Guess I would try to bring MW along with some game experience....Ga Southern for example.    I really like SW and appreciate his guts and effort  but think his career at AU is over as a starter....so might as move on to the guy we think might be able to QB half a season if pressed into action.  And keep SW for real emergencies .....like finishing a game.

Figured Stidham would show why he was a top recruit and showed flashes as a Freshman at Baylor.

I hoped that SW would be the backup, just because of his grit and ability to be an accurate passer and move the ball (regardless of his downfield inaccuracy). 

But if White is hurt at all, then I don't want him out there, like he tried in the GA game, and simply make it worse. Let Willis play some in the first game, to get his feet wet, and bring him along as #2.

45 minutes ago, DAG said:

You make a good point McLoofus. My only fear is we have seen 85-90 % Sean. All it takes is one bad hit and he is completely done. But even so, apparently he can't even make the throws he is accustomed to. This tells me he is injured not hurt. 

This is what I've been reading between the lines of people not wanting to actually say it (except Crepea, who seems to be reveling in it).  That is what makes me nervous about him being our #2.

44 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I fear you're right. Definitely a little sunshine/optimistic slant to my post. Probably more about me just being scared on principal of having a true FR at QB in a meaningful moment. 

Also, I was just reading another thread where you and someone else were discussing whether or not there's any value in MW keeping his redshirt, and now that I think about it... maybe you guys are right and there's really not? That's another thing that I've just kind of stated without really thinking about it. Curious what others think? 

I don't think we can afford not to burn it. Get him acclimated as quickly as possible. If he's not ready in the event that Stidham goes down, we've still got a veteran in Sean who we can rely on.

Just as an aside, it's really impressive how quickly Malik has risen through the ranks. He was treated like somewhat of a pariah by a  fair number of people on this board when he committed to us. Glad to see that our coaches knew what they were doing when they recruited him. If they do decide to burn his RS, I'm going to be very excited to see more of him. 

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Just as an aside, it's really impressive how quickly Malik has risen through the ranks. He was treated like somewhat of a pariah by a  fair number of people on this board when he committed to us. Glad to see that our coaches knew what they were doing when they recruited him. If they do decide to burn his RS, I'm going to be very excited to see more of him. 

To be honest I was pumped. The high school coaches in Georgia were all buzzing about this kid last year. 

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

To be honest I was pumped. The high school coaches in Georgia were all buzzing about this kid last year. 

Yeah, you said he was a Nick Marshall clone. Like you, there were a few others with knowledge who were giving him his due credit. I just remember some people acting like we shouldn't have taken him "just to take a QB", as if he wasn't worthy of the offer. Anyway, I'm just glad that he's balling out. To be getting the kind of love that he is right now as a true freshman says a lot. I don't care how healthy or not healthy Sean White is, Sean's a veteran now. Anytime you have a freshman come in and potentially take a veteran quarterbacks spot, that says a lot. 

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

This worries me. I hate to think that we've gone from having the best 1-2 punch in the SEC and possibly the nation to having to rely on a true freshman if Stidham goes down. If White really isn't where he needs to be, health wise, I honestly hope that Chip drops him to third string in practice and gives Willis the 2nd string QB reps. We don't need a repeat of the Georgia game with an unhealthy White.

Statistically, Sean had pretty good of numbers last year. But he is average at best at quarterback even when healthy. I feel more comfortable with Willis at backup than I do Sean White regardless. 

4 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I was pumped no matter how good he was, because recruiting him showed that Gus had learned that we need bodies at QB and can't hang our hat on one guy.

12 minutes ago, logan adams said:

Statistically, Sean had pretty good of numbers last year. But he is average at best at quarterback even when healthy. I feel more comfortable with Willis at backup than I do Sean White regardless. 

Do you really want to get in this discussion again? How many times do people need to point out that, before his injury, Sean was the #1 QB in the country for pass efficiency and near the top for YPA? That's not "pretty good", that's excellent. If Sean was healthy, there wouldn't even be a question who is the better choice as backup, but since he apparently isn't, we may have to hang our hat on a true freshman who, thank God, has some serious potential.

18 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Agreed. Funny how "3* I've never heard of" is so often enough for folks to completely write a kid off. 

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Do you really want to get in this discussion again? How many times do people need to point out that, before his injury, Sean was the #1 QB in the country for pass efficiency and near the top for YPA? That's not "pretty good", that's excellent. If Sean was healthy, there wouldn't even be a question who is the better choice as backup, but since he apparently isn't, we may have to hang out hat on a true freshman who, thank God, has some serious potential.

But Lion, he didn't complete >80% of the deep passes or red zone passes, which over two seasons probably totaled like 8 attempts and were almost all thrown in the direction of freshmen. Also, he, uh, doesn't look very athletic- if you know what I mean- so he is completely immobile. Why do you keep defending this guy?!?!

I don't know who should be starting qb, left tackle, right guard, punter or even second string. I can't wait for it to start though. 

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

I don't know who should be starting qb, left tackle, right guard, punter or even second string. I can't wait for it to start though. 

Yes you do. You just won't tell us. You're like the Bruce Wayne of Auburn insiders. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Agreed. Funny how "3* I've never heard of" is so often enough for folks to completely write a kid off. 

But Lion, he didn't complete >80% of the deep passes or red zone passes, which over two seasons probably totaled like 8 attempts and were almost all thrown in the direction of freshmen. Also, he, uh, doesn't look very athletic- if you know what I mean- so he is completely immobile. Why do you keep defending this guy?!?!

IMG_0047.JPG

6 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Way to keep that info close to the vest, Gus. I'm sure everyone was shocked after they had been reading about it on social media for the past hour.

Archived