FWIW.

WarDamnEagleWDE

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, corchjay said:

I am to the point that I don't care what happens to Gus or the staff considering his failures in Big Games... 

But you are an idiot if you think the offense that we saw Saturday night is not the same as we saw A-day (spring)

Just watch a little bit of it... Don't watch result of the play just watch the play call itself.  Alignment, Routes, running game... All the same from A-Day.

Proof...  

Remember that the defense was hamstrung during A-Day...

9 hours ago, corchjay said:

Doc you are correct.  The game plan to stop our offense has been figured out.  Man to Man on the edge, bracketed coverage to the middle of the field, Blitz inside on pass rush and run Blitz.  The thing is there are only about 4 teams on our schedule that has the quality of players to do all that but in those games we lose. 

Why can't the coaches figure out how to beat the blitz ?

OP says they had an offense and they scrapped it. Does anybody remember after Clempson '16, when asked "did you know you'd play all 3 qb's (from practice)", Chandler Cox said "No, we just knew SW was our guy". Rhetorical question, as I remember it 100%. Keeps flipping the script the night before the game. If it's not true....it sure does manifest as so.

The truth lies in the middle of two solid posters.  While an offense was being implemented in the spring under the direct influence of CL, the finalized offense and game planning and plays that we ran are being influenced, that is quite obvious by the facts of watching the game and the sidelines.   WDE has an agenda, just like all of us:  We want to see Auburn be in the best possible position to win.  

11 hours ago, jAUSon said:

Mercer is so dead. I feel sorry for them. We're gonna hang 17 on them suckers.

3 FGs and 4 safeties?

12 hours ago, JGLEATON said:

feeling the pressure after last year... knows what on the line and can't get out of his own way...

Spot on, It's called panic and when you are panicked you can't  think logically.  I know this from experience but thank the Lord  and with His help I have managed to survive all these years. I normally don't get into these kinds of discussions but Gus is at a major turning point in his career, either he recognizes it and does something positive about it or he needs to go.  If I were him, I would go back to what worked for him to start with. I don't see us using the HUNH hardly at all.any more. If you look around lots of teams are using it now. It's an effective method of keeping the opposition off balance. Why he has for the most part abandoned it makes no sense to me. As the old saying goes, dance with the girl what brung ya. JMO

WDE!!!

51 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

The truth lies in the middle of two solid posters.  While an offense was being implemented in the spring under the direct influence of CL, the finalized offense and game planning and plays that we ran are being influenced, that is quite obvious by the facts of watching the game and the sidelines.   WDE has an agenda, just like all of us:  We want to see Auburn be in the best possible position to win.  

I agree. Both posters can be correct. We heard all off season and saw in the spring game a short and immediate passing game that was not existent in the Clemson game. I don't count screen passes as a developed short passing game. So from that standpoint, it isn't the same offense we thought we would see. But yes,  the run game looked just as unimaginative as always and we saw similar formations. 

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Agree!

And I think he probably did maybe scrap / alter the initial thinking or game plan after KJ went down... and we weren't clicking in the passing n paso blockino game 1... even out of necessity and not just a whim... 

Need to simplify keep everybody on field and go back to the HUNH... let CL call a good game... 

so if this all is true - and i don't have many doubts that it is - how long until these 4 and 5-star athletes that chose Auburn over the programs we consistently lose to cause divisions in the locker room?

Here is the problem as I see it.  Gus is a NERD.  Sleeps only 2 or 3 hours per night.  He is then up for the remainder of the night and day with all kinds of thoughts going through his brain.  It would not surprise me one bit that he changes things at the last minute.  He outsmarts himself.  We've all seen it with some of his trickery.  Looks good on paper but falls flat on it's face in game situations.

9 minutes ago, tinman said:

Here is the problem as I see it.  Gus is a NERD.  Sleeps only 2 or 3 hours per night.  He is then up for the remainder of the night and day with all kinds of thoughts going through his brain.  It would not surprise me one bit that he changes things at the last minute.  He outsmarts himself.  We've all seen it with some of his trickery.  Looks good on paper but falls flat on it's face in game situations.

My problem with this thought, while I somewhat agree, is if he is such a nerd why has he not been able to adapt or evolve his scheme, stubborn?  He just comes up with gimmick plays and can't fix the fundamental flaws of the scheme

13 minutes ago, JGLEATON said:

Agree!

And I think he probably did maybe scrap / alter the initial thinking or game plan after KJ went down... and we weren't clicking in the passing n paso blockino game 1... even out of necessity and not just a whim... 

Need to simplify keep everybody on field and go back to the HUNH... let CL call a good game... 

quite possible, guessing KP has had minimal reps in CL's offense

15 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

not at all just how gus rolls

If this is even remotely close to true (and I believe it is), he needs to roll out the door now!

I will sign @WarDamnEagleWDE's petition to appoint an interim and have CKS and CCL do their thing the rest of the year. 

I posted this the other day in my score prediction, but here it is again: Since the start of the 2011 season, Auburn has won a grand total of 3 games against teams that finished with less than 4 losses - South Carolina in 2011, Alabama and Missouri in 2013.

Even more sobering is our last 4 games against Power 5 opponents:

2016 UGA - 164 total yards of offense and 7 points scored

2016 Alabama - 182 total yards of offense and 12 points scored

2016 Oklahoma - 339 total yards of offense and 19 points scored (248 yards/13 points if you exclude our last drive against their scrubs)

2017 Clemson - 117 total yards of offense and 6 points scored

Very disturbing.

28 minutes ago, jskilgro said:

so if this all is true - and i don't have many doubts that it is - how long until these 4 and 5-star athletes that chose Auburn over the programs we consistently lose to cause divisions in the locker room?

If the status quo remains the same, cracks will eventually emerge and some division will occur imo. It's human nature. Now,  the players and coaches are all gonna say the right things and act like it's all good, but the product in the field will tell the tale. Hopefully it doesn't get that far. 

Dang....kept hoping all the new  debbie downers would go back to work after the game was over but they just keep at it.

The problems are obvious even to the coaches....they will try to fix them....if they do,  everyone will be happy (well not everyone) and if they don't,  a new coach will get a chance to try next season.      

So why not let it rest until after the Mercer game and then pick that one apart when there is something new to look at ?  .

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Dang....kept hoping all the new  debbie downers would go back to work after the game was over but they just keep at it.

The problems are obvious even to the coaches....they will try to fix them....if they do,  everyone will be happy (well not everyone) and if they don't,  a new coach will get a chance to try next season.      

So why not let it rest until after the Mercer game and then pick that one apart when there is something new to look at ?  .

No, they aren't obvious to Gus.  It's been the same problems for nearly three years.  It's not people being "Debbie Downers".  It's folks finally realizing that the HC is out of his depth.  19-17 in his last 36.  11-17 when you remove cupcakes, despite us recruiting at a very high level an having a killer defense for the last couple of years.  That's all you need to know.

44 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

My problem with this thought, while I somewhat agree, is if he is such a nerd why has he not been able to adapt or evolve his scheme, stubborn?  He just comes up with gimmick plays and can't fix the fundamental flaws of the scheme

So my question. .. is the scheme fundamentally flawed... can it be fixed / adjust to the elite D's solution that has stiffled it?

Also I'm almost okay with being patient the next few games IF they make changes and actually roll out and try things that will attack those issues and NOT go vanilla n try and hide stuff or keep status quo just to roll up 40 on our sisters of the blessed  Jr college...

WAY past Time to re innovate the scheme.... OR GET out of the way.

17 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

AU isn't running the offense that was practiced all spring, summer and fall. Another wasted offseason when Gus changes everything a couple days before the game. 

@WarDamnEagleWDE Do you know what Chips reaction was to Gus not only changing the offensive he worked all offseason to install but interjecting himself  into the gameplan playbook, etc after both Gus repeatedly stated they would run Chip's offense?  Also, what do you predict for our offense going forward?

48 minutes ago, AU64 said:

How does it not bother you that our HC finds himself in the exact same position at the exact same time he found himself in 2015 & 2016?  Trying to "fix" problems that he ultimately caused?  He's rearranged the deck chairs on his offensive staff since 2015 and hired/fired a few coaches, but somehow we still see a dysfunctional, fundamentally bad, injury prone, ineffective product on the field after having 8 months to prepare and scheme.

Will you be here Monday morning praising the staff for fixing the problems, adjusting the scheme, creating new offensive strategies after Auburn kicks the ever loving day lights out of mighty Mercer?  Or will it take two weeks when we annihilate Mizzou in their fearsome stadium? 

15 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Don't get me started its just hard to see how AU has not progressed one little bit. I've seen Auburn coaches before even Shug and this guy  blows my head off

When I was a  young boy my grandfather would tell  me stories about augolf1716 fighting against the White Walkers.....................

Archived