Bashing Gus

AU64

9 hours ago, dave$AU said:

I have been saying the same thing and wonder if our football fortunes will ever get over the hump of inconsistency.

we're very consistent right now

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Great question.  Gus needs to show us many things on the offensive side of the ball as well as special teams and putting playmakers in position to succeed.  I will try to condense it from my standpoint.

Gus needs to show the ability to come up with an actual game plan that utilizes our strengths against the particular team we are playing every week.  Up to this point he has not done that.  What we have seen up to this point is Gus just running the exact same things over and over again regardless of who we are playing.  To him, he has some plays and he runs them.

Gus needs to show the ability to make offensive adjustments to his game plan, that he does not have, as well as personnel to adjust if needed during the game.  This ability would be awesome during the game but hell at this point we will take it at halftime if needed.  Stop running Pettway into the ground because you don't know of anything else to do.  Gus has players at his disposal.  He just REFUSES to use them.

Gus needs to get over his fear of youth and put his play makers in a position to succeed.  We have too many guys who offer way too much to never see the field.  Nowhere is this more prevelant than on Special Teams.  I'm literally shocked he does not have Pettway returning kicks and punts at this point.  Put your burners back there in practice every day and find the guy that can catch the ball and use his speed to run north and south while making people miss.  I have nothing against KJ and I have heard all of the arguments on his 20 something yard average but please tell me the last time we housed a punt or kickoff for 6 points against a good team.  Isn't that what killed us against FSU in the Natty or am I getting old.

Gus needs to quit acting like a turd in front of the media.  When he feels the pressure, like the last three weeks, he answers more questions about things without being so standoffish.  When he does not feel the pressure he acts like a jerk.  If you are winning and kicking teams teeth in, then yeah act how you want to.

My biggest complaint.  Flex posted some very good information here after one of our games.  It had really good insight as far as X's and O's of what we are doing wrong.  This is the part that really gets me with Gus......I don't think he understands these simple concepts.  Let me reword that. he does not understand why what he is doing is not working.  That is the killer.  Where in the hell are our TE's?  Why is McClain who runs like a friggin gazelle not lined up in that spot making LBs and Safeties cringe?  For all of the stuff Gus has done in the past trying to stretch the defense out wide with that horrible WR Screen why in the world does he refuse to attack the guys on defense that are blitzing every play killing us???????????  It is mind numbing to watch.  And he makes 4 bills as our HC and offensive guru.  If our O-line has issues then why in the world are these issues never worked out before the season?  It's the same every year with this guy.

Fix these and I will be on board.  My fear is that he does not know how to fix the real issues of why it isn't working.  If we can't run then his solution will be to pass more ect. instead of being able to diagnose why the running game is not successful.  My reason for this thinking is that there is no way Al Borges and Chip Lindsey don't already see these problems and he refuses to change.  Maybe just maybe he will let others have some input for the remainder of the season.

My question to the Gus lovers in return is as follows

If we hired Gus mainly because of his ability, that he had shown, to compete with anyone as a great offensive mind, then why would anyone want to keep him in year five of this disaster?

What he said.

Great question.  Gus needs to show us many things on the offensive side of the ball as well as special teams and putting playmakers in position to succeed.  I will try to condense it from my standpoint.

Gus needs to show the ability to come up with an actual game plan that utilizes our strengths against the particular team we are playing every week.  Up to this point he has not done that.  What we have seen up to this point is Gus just running the exact same things over and over again regardless of who we are playing.  To him, he has some plays and he runs them.

Gus needs to show the ability to make offensive adjustments to his game plan, that he does not have, as well as personnel to adjust if needed during the game.  This ability would be awesome during the game but hell at this point we will take it at halftime if needed.  Stop running Pettway into the ground because you don't know of anything else to do.  Gus has players at his disposal.  He just REFUSES to use them.

Gus needs to get over his fear of youth and put his play makers in a position to succeed.  We have too many guys who offer way too much to never see the field.  Nowhere is this more prevelant than on Special Teams.  I'm literally shocked he does not have Pettway returning kicks and punts at this point.  Put your burners back there in practice every day and find the guy that can catch the ball and use his speed to run north and south while making people miss.  I have nothing against KJ and I have heard all of the arguments on his 20 something yard average but please tell me the last time we housed a punt or kickoff for 6 points against a good team.  Isn't that what killed us against FSU in the Natty or am I getting old.

Gus needs to quit acting like a turd in front of the media.  When he feels the pressure, like the last three weeks, he answers more questions about things without being so standoffish.  When he does not feel the pressure he acts like a jerk.  If you are winning and kicking teams teeth in, then yeah act how you want to.

My biggest complaint.  Flex posted some very good information here after one of our games.  It had really good insight as far as X's and O's of what we are doing wrong.  This is the part that really gets me with Gus......I don't think he understands these simple concepts.  Let me reword that. he does not understand why what he is doing is not working.  That is the killer.  Where in the hell are our TE's?  Why is McClain who runs like a friggin gazelle not lined up in that spot making LBs and Safeties cringe?  For all of the stuff Gus has done in the past trying to stretch the defense out wide with that horrible WR Screen why in the world does he refuse to attack the guys on defense that are blitzing every play killing us???????????  It is mind numbing to watch.  And he makes 4 bills as our HC and offensive guru.  If our O-line has issues then why in the world are these issues never worked out before the season?  It's the same every year with this guy.

Fix these and I will be on board.  My fear is that he does not know how to fix the real issues of why it isn't working.  If we can't run then his solution will be to pass more ect. instead of being able to diagnose why the running game is not successful.  My reason for this thinking is that there is no way Al Borges and Chip Lindsey don't already see these problems and he refuses to change.  Maybe just maybe he will let others have some input for the remainder of the season.

If we hired Gus mainly because of his ability, that he had shown, to compete with anyone as a great offensive mind, then why would anyone want to keep him in year five of this disaster?

I don't consider this to be a disaster in any way shape or form. Whether we keep him or not will not happen till late November. THe complaints are legit but over played. IOW just whining.

Not a Gus lover by any stretch of the imagination, but the program is not a disaster. Far from it. 2012 was a disaster. This a really, really talented team with an amazing defense, adequate-to-good special teams and a dysfunctional offense. The roster is comprised by and large of quality kids. It's one of the most talented rosters Auburn's ever seen. If, by some miracle, this offense finds its footing, then we're in contention for hardware. 

We might have hired him for his offensive mind, but as @GwillMac6 has pointed out a couple times, it's actually *every other part* of being a head coach that he's good at. If he can just swallow his pride and let a competent OC do his job, then we're in for some good times.

Our defense plays like their hair is on fire.  I love that about those guys and the coaches who have instilled that into them.  They play football like Auburn is supposed to play football.  

Our offense, on the other hand, particularly the line and receivers, play tentative, like either they don't know what they are doing or they just don't give a crap.  I want to see an O line firing off and blowing the other team off the ball on running plays and looking like a brick wall in pass protection.  I want to see receivers running precise routes,  making strong cuts, going up and fighting for the ball, blocking downfield, running over people after the catch with a death grip on the ball.   Our backs run hard but many of the rest of them just don't look like they want to be out there doing what they are doing.

I believe Gus overthinks everything.  He doesn't have any fire in his eyes.  He has created this culture on our offense where they all (both the coaches and players) think they need to trick someone rather than just line up and kick butt.  That is my complaint with him.  If our offense would just line up and get after people they have enough talent to beat most of the teams on our schedule.  

Personally, I am already sick of the Gus bashing. I am not particularly thrilled with everything I have seen, but I also have seen some adjustments being made. And once again, we have been bitten by the injury bug and by now being very, very thin at QB. I wish Gus had a little more faith in his players playing up to their abilities. The worst thing he does, in my opinion, is overthink and not trust in his players and coaches. (the poster above beat me to it!) Of course, if I had a rabid fan base nipping at my heels all the time, I might be a little paranoid too.

Ask me in November if I think we need to replace Gus, but all this talk this early in the season is soooooo bad for Auburn and our reputatiion. We just sound like a bunch of whiny babies. And it will scare off recruits and potential coaches, etc. 

And besides, exactly WHO do you think is out there that we could hire? Only other coaches who are on the hot seat now, too. Because NO coach in his right mind would come to Auburn if they think we have a dumpster fire going on here. So just let the season play out and maybe we will all be happy.

23 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

Ahhhh yes the good ol days...well you should all be enjoying the current situation then since we have returned to the Barfield years...

No, we haven't. Had a coach follow Doug that ensured those days would never return. Reading some of your other post OtP, you seem ok. This one is pretty idiotic. 

35 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

No, we haven't. Had a coach follow Doug that ensured those days would never return. Reading some of your other post OtP, you seem ok. This one is pretty idiotic. 

Ok. 

9 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Because this isn't a disaster and it isn't year five. Two good to great offensive years followed by a couple of lesser, but not disastrous years. This year is yet to be determined. My question: Why do the Gus bashers have to exaggerate everything trying to make things sound worse than they really are?

15 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

And besides, exactly WHO do you think is out there that we could hire? Only other coaches who are on the hot seat now, too

I think everyone needs to consider this.

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

Because this isn't a disaster and it isn't year five. Two good to great offensive years followed by a couple of lesser, but not disastrous years. This year is yet to be determined. My question: Why do the Gus bashers have to exaggerate everything trying to make things sound worse than they really are?

Actually, it is year 5

2013 - Year 1

2014 - Year 2

2015 - Year 3

2016 - Year 4

2017 - Year 5

I think our talent is keeping us afloat and away from disaster. I also think the kids genuinely like Gus which is why they haven't given up on him like the kids did to Chizik in 2012.

1 hour ago, selias said:

Actually, it is year 5

2013 - Year 1

2014 - Year 2

2015 - Year 3

2016 - Year 4

2017 - Year 5

Not speaking for "gosh I do love Gus Mikey" but I'm guessing he meant it hasn't been a disaster for 5 years...just the last two.  Bottom line is since 2013(and that took some luck) we have been an average football program that can't beat its rivals. If thats what Auburn folk want then so be it. 

1 hour ago, ToomersStreet said:

I think everyone needs to consider this.

Somebody needs to start a thread.

7 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

I just wish Aubie could speak faux......be nice to hear what he thinks of all this.

Aubie is an insider, he can't speak his mind until it's decided. Then he will spill his guts, that's how insiders work. 

6 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Aubie is an insider, he can't speak his mind until it's decided. Then he will spill his guts, that's how insiders work. 

But Aubie doesn't know how to speak. No one has ever heard him utter a sound. Are you saying...............?

30 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Not speaking for "gosh I do love Gus Mikey" but I'm guessing he meant it hasn't been a disaster for 5 years...just the last two.  Bottom line is since 2013(and that took some luck) we have been an average football program that can't beat its rivals. If thats what Auburn folk want then so be it. 

Average != disaster.  I would not argue against the fact that we have ended the season with an average record.  But average in the toughest division of the toughest conference really is not that bad.  There are a lot of teams who would love to have 8 regular season wins in this conference.  Disaster was late 90s with Bowden.  There was no hope ever.

With that said, of course I would like to be competing for SECC & NC every year.  But outside of UAt, no one has been consistently at the top year in and year out.  There have been countless threads on here about if AU went to a bowl each year and competed for a NC every 5 years or so, then how many would be happy.  Most reasonable people would take this.  Yes it sucks the run that the Turds are on and to have to compete with them every year, but to call Gus's tenure a disaster is a bit of a stretch.

Just now, lkeel75 said:

Average != disaster.  I would not argue against the fact that we have ended the season with an average record.  But average in the toughest division of the toughest conference really is not that bad.  There are a lot of teams who would love to have 8 regular season wins in this conference.  Disaster was late 90s with Bowden.  There was no hope ever.

With that said, of course I would like to be competing for SECC & NC every year.  But outside of UAt, no one has been consistently at the top year in and year out.  There have been countless threads on here about if AU went to a bowl each year and competed for a NC every 5 years or so, then how many would be happy.  Most reasonable people would take this.  Yes it sucks the run that the Turds are on and to have to compete with them every year, but to call Gus's tenure a disaster is a bit of a stretch.

We've also lost to 2 very below average UGA teams.  This is the attitude that drives me nuts with you folks. Its all well ok bama is so good we should just be happy with our 5 losses and move on. We can't possibly compete so lets settle for less.  Well what about the other 3 or 4 losses a year?  Excuse losing to bama all you want, how bout the other losses?   If we can't compete with bama then we should be 11-1 no?  10-2 at worst?  I hate to break it to ya but the SEC hasn't been all that the last couple of years.  Look at the crap that comes out of the East.  And lets not pretend Auburn shouldn't be beating MSU, Ole Miss, Arky and A&M every single year if Auburn is where it should be.  I will give Gus some leeway on losing to bama while they are on this run although I would much rather have a coach and a fan base who said nah lets frickin find a way to kick bama's ass instead of bowing down to them like they are unbeatable.  Clemson is not any better a program historically than Auburn and yet they have stood toe to toe with them the last 2 years and beaten them once.  Get the coach that wants to beat the best and quit making excuses for why you are a second rate program!!!! 

22 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

But Aubie doesn't know how to speak. No one has ever heard him utter a sound. Are you saying...............?

Actually, I'm saying he is a perfect insider, what every program needs.  He does express his thoughts pretty well, though. 

49 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

We've also lost to 2 very below average UGA teams.  This is the attitude that drives me nuts with you folks. Its all well ok bama is so good we should just be happy with our 5 losses and move on. We can't possibly compete so lets settle for less.  Well what about the other 3 or 4 losses a year?  Excuse losing to bama all you want, how bout the other losses?   If we can't compete with bama then we should be 11-1 no?  10-2 at worst?  I hate to break it to ya but the SEC hasn't been all that the last couple of years.  Look at the crap that comes out of the East.  And lets not pretend Auburn shouldn't be beating MSU, Ole Miss, Arky and A&M every single year if Auburn is where it should be.  I will give Gus some leeway on losing to bama while they are on this run although I would much rather have a coach and a fan base who said nah lets frickin find a way to kick bama's ass instead of bowing down to them like they are unbeatable.  Clemson is not any better a program historically than Auburn and yet they have stood toe to toe with them the last 2 years and beaten them once.  Get the coach that wants to beat the best and quit making excuses for why you are a second rate program!!!! 

I addressed it in another thread a few minutes ago, but there seems to be a notion permeating through the board to not make a coaching change, stick with what we have until Saban retires.

My retaliation for that notion is what makes folks think our coach/coaches will miraculously be able to do their job just because NS is gone?  What has Nick Saban done to prevent Gus from putting an effective offense on the field, or stopped Herb Hand from coaching an SEC level oline?  

Will Saban's retirement allow Auburn to shine and jump up to the kings throne in this conference?  Will his removal allow us to kick UGA 's butt, or somehow win more bowl games?

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

I just wish Aubie could speak faux......be nice to hear what he thinks of all this.

Alas, Aubert's faux-speak would be, by definition, a noble falsehood.

19 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I do not see anyone being a proponent or satisfied with a consistent 4 or 5 loss team every year. I do see some of us not agreeing with "chicken little the sky is falling" so soon assessment of this season. You believe it is falling. It is apparent by your comparison of our current situation to the "Barfield years", you were obviously not around then or have a horrible memory due to aging or whatever. 

To many post about Bammer in this thread also, and you are responsible for a few. Some of us quit worrying about Tuscaloosa after the "Barfield years". Quite confident that Auburn will take care of that situation.  

Archived