ESPN Preseason FPI Rankings

WFE12

10 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Saban lost to Auburn on the road

Dabo lost to bama on the road

Meyer lost to Iowa on the road

Kelly hasn't coached in college football since 2012... we'll see what he can do next year.

No offense, but you had to list 3 coaches to get to almost as many losses as Gus had on the road this season. 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

No offense, but you had to list 3 coaches to get to almost as many losses as Gus had on the road this season. 

So, you're saying Saban, Sweeney & Meyer are not equal to Gus? ;)

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Irrelevant to the conversation. He was arguing to corch that those coaches never had trouble on the road. I just pointed out that all 3 lost on the road just last year. 

16 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Irrelevant to the conversation. He was arguing to corch that those coaches never had trouble on the road. I just pointed out that all 3 lost on the road just last year. 

You turned "struggle" into "never has trouble". Those are closer to meaning the opposite than the same. 

57 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Dabo lost to bama Syracuse on the road even worse

Meyer lost to got obliterated by Iowa on the road seriously how did he forget this

Kelly hasn't coached in college football since 2012... we'll see what he can do next year.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Dabo lost to bama on the road

Meyer lost to Iowa on the road

lol he said does not struggle on the road not go undefeated on the road!!!

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'd call losing to Iowa struggling... :)

not when it is his only second road loss ever during his tenure at ohio state! lol.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

not when it is his only second road loss ever during his tenure at ohio state! lol.

but.... Iowa...
4-5 in the Big 10... and it wasn't even a close game either. 

15 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

umm he did not give Gus a heck of a contract. That was leath. lol that was a month before he was even hired.

You are factually incorrect.

51 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

but.... Iowa...
4-5 in the Big 10... and it wasn't even a close game either. 

If losing one bad game to Iowa and twice overall on the road in 6 years means that Urban Meyer struggles on the road, then Gus Malzahn flat out, super duper, mind blowingly, unbelievably sucks at coaching on the road. 

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If losing one bad game to Iowa and twice overall on the road in 6 years means that Urban Meyer struggles on the road, then Gus Malzahn flat out, super duper, mind blowingly, unbelievably sucks at coaching on the road. 

While I honestly wish that anytime anyone mentioned any other coach failing at anything, someone didn't come along to point out how Gus fails far worse (I'm a huge fan of ending the popular sport of bashing our head coach, especially now that he's locked in for several more years), I'll also point out that, had Gus lost to a 4-5 team many of those same people would have lost their minds and called for his head even if he hadn't lost any other games. Don't forget two of our 4 losses this year were to play-off teams and a 3rd was to a team that went undefeated.

24 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

While I honestly wish that anytime anyone mentioned any other coach failing at anything, someone didn't come along to point out how Gus fails far worse

Actually, the first comment was that Gus has struggled on the road. Then somebody said, "What coach doesn't?" Then 4 coaches were (accurately) named. You yourself were responding to that assertion. So you can't really play that card.

(I'm a huge fan of ending the popular sport of bashing our head coach, especially now that he's locked in for several more years)

And I'm a huge fan of ending this habit you share with others of labeling every single critique of the 7 million dollar man as "bashing". 

I'll also point out that, had Gus lost to a 4-5 team many of those same people would have lost their minds and called for his head even if he hadn't lost any other games. Don't forget two of our 4 losses this year were to play-off teams and a 3rd was to a team that went undefeated.

117 total yards of offense against Clemson. 20 point lead over LSU blown. 7 total points scored in the SECCG. 19 total points scored against bama and uga last year. 16 point loss in the bowl game and it wasn't actually that close. How many times does it have to be said? It's not just that he lost, or even that he's losing over 4 games a season on average the last 3 seasons. It's how he's losing. I don't know if y'all are incapable of acknowledging that or just refuse to, but it has a lot to do with the tone of the conversation. That's where the exasperation from all us "bashers" is coming from. 

48 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'll also point out that, had Gus lost to a 4-5 team many of those same people would have lost their minds and called for his head even if he hadn't lost any other games. Don't forget two of our 4 losses this year were to play-off teams and a 3rd was to a team that went undefeated.

Loof addressed everything else, but I'd like to refute this one point.

This Gus led team lost to CU and looked BAAAAD (offensively at least) in doing it.  They lost to a far inferior LSU team and looked BAAAAAAD in doing it.

However after seemingly learning important lessons,  righting the ship, and defeating our dreaded rivals in amen corner, there were entire threads dedicated, almost exclusively, to us "Gus Bashers" ALL eating crow, hat in hand, and throwing bouquets of the most exquisite valentines his way.  All willing to forgive and forget as he truly seemed to come into his own as the Auburn head football coach.

So to this statement:

tenor.gif

54 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Loof addressed everything else, but I'd like to refute this one point.

This Gus led team lost to CU and looked BAAAAD (offensively at least) in doing it.  They lost to a far inferior LSU team and looked BAAAAAAD in doing it.

However after seemingly learning important lessons,  righting the ship, and defeating our dreaded rivals in amen corner, there were entire threads dedicated, almost exclusively, to us "Gus Bashers" ALL eating crow, hat in hand, and throwing bouquets of the most exquisite valentines his way.  All willing to forgive and forget as he truly seemed to come into his own as the Auburn head football coach.

So to this statement:

tenor.gif

And then the somewhat important game called the SECCG had to played (which determined a spot in the CFP) against our 2nd biggest rival that we kicked the "dog crap out of" and what happened.......

wde

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

117 total yards of offense against Clemson. 20 point lead over LSU blown. 7 total points scored in the SECCG. 19 total points scored against bama and uga last year. 16 point loss in the bowl game and it wasn't actually that close. How many times does it have to be said? It's not just that he lost, or even that he's losing over 4 games a season on average the last 3 seasons. It's how he's losing. I don't know if y'all are incapable of acknowledging that or just refuse to, but it has a lot to do with the tone of the conversation. That's where the exasperation from all us "bashers" is coming from. 

I hate arguing with you, Loof, because I really like you. Like generally you and 72 are two of my favorite guys on the board, but in answer to your question, it's been said too many times. The horse has been beat so much that it's a puddle. The season is over, why do we constantly have to rehash the bad and why do we stoop to the level of referring to our coach as things "the 7 million dollar man". I mean, if Gus was on social media talking about how awesome he was I could understand the constant need to put him down, but he's made mistakes and he's taken steps to hopefully correct those mistakes, that's it. I'm sure he doesn't even know what this site is, but I'd be mortified if I knew he was reading all of the hate that was spewed about him.

I, personally, acknowledged to you, just this morning, the points that you made about the failures that happened last season should never happen again. I know you saw it because you liked it. Still, conversation after conversation on this board somehow turns back to how bad some people think our coach is and again I'm accused of "being incapable of acknowledging it" whenever I take the said of "let's stop bashing our coach". I just don't get it. Auburn is our team and he's our coach, at least for probably a good 4 more years. Why don't we put last year to bed and move on?

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I hate arguing with you, Loof, because I really like you. Like generally you and 72 are two of my favorite guys on the board, but in answer to your question, it's been said too many times. The horse has been beat so much that it's a puddle. The season is over, why do we constantly have to rehash the bad and why do we stoop to the level of referring to our coach as things "the 7 million dollar man". I mean, if Gus was on social media talking about how awesome he was I could understand the constant need to put him down, but he's made mistakes and he's taken steps to hopefully correct those mistakes, that's it. I'm sure he doesn't even know what this site is, but I'd be mortified if I knew he was reading all of the hate that was spewed about him.

I, personally, acknowledged to you, just this morning, the points that you made about the failures that happened last season should never happen again. I know you saw it because you liked it. Still, conversation after conversation on this board somehow turns back to how bad some people think our coach is and again I'm accused of "being incapable of acknowledging it" whenever I take the said of "let's stop bashing our coach". I just don't get it. Auburn is our team and he's our coach, at least for probably a good 4 more years. Why don't we put last year to bed and move on?

Nope, not if he loses to uga and spuat the next two years. Our new AD did not hire Gus.

wde

8 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

And then the somewhat important game called the SECCG had to played (which determined a spot in the CFP) against our 2nd biggest rival that we kicked the "dog crap out of" and what happened.......

wde

Yes, I left that part unsaid as he "unlearned" the lessons (very quickly) obviously.

I'm going to say this though....

In my quest to be positive and search for signs of sunshine to pump as we head into the 2018 season, I'm HOPING that I'm right (as much as it p1$$e$ me off) that the main issue with the seecg was his being more focused on financial security than the job at hand and, frankly, after that let-down I don't blame the team for not being up for the Who Gives a Crap Bowl vs Who Really Cares (undefeated or not).  Maybe those games were just perfect storms...I don't know.

So.... We'll have a decent idea (I THINK) of what Gus is really going to be on Sept 1st.  Then we just cross our fingers and drink....heavily.

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Yes, I left that part unsaid as he "unlearned" the lessons (very quickly) obviously.

I'm going to say this though....

In my quest to be positive and search for signs of sunshine to pump as we head into the 2018 season, I'm HOPING that I'm right (as much as it p1$$e$ me off) that the main issue with the seecg was his being more focused on financial security than the job at hand and, frankly, after that let-down I don't blame the team for not being up for the Who Gives a Crap Bowl vs Who Really Cares (undefeated or not).  Maybe those games were just perfect storms...I don't know.

So.... We'll have a decent idea (I THINK) of what Gus is really going to be on Sept 1st.  Then we just cross our fingers and drink....heavily.

This Washington game will be extremely telling . I imagine the confidence of some will take a step back when that time creeps up closer.

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

This Washington game will be extremely telling . I imagine the confidence of some will take a step back when that time creeps up closer.

Agree 100%.

I won't be running on confidence... I'll be running on hope, prayer, genie wishes....

Sadly, if AU beats them 42-3, I will probably still have "when's the next brain-fart game" in the back of my mind throughout the season.

29 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Agree 100%.

I won't be running on confidence... I'll be running on hope, prayer, genie wishes....

Sadly, if AU beats them 42-3, I will probably still have "when's the next brain-fart game" in the back of my mind throughout the season.

If we beat this team 42-3, this would mean Gus and this team has turned a corner. I would be pleasantly surprised.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

If we beat this team 42-3, this would mean Gus and this team has turned a corner. I would be pleasantly surprised.

As would I.

And then I would remember this thread and hope you're right. :jossun:

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I hate arguing with you, Loof, because I really like you. Like generally you and 72 are two of my favorite guys on the board,

Simple solution friend.....

Join us.  And you TOO can say "Told you so!!!"

u8JLQoQ.gif

4 hours ago, AU-24 said:

You are factually incorrect.

wait what? How did Allen Greene give Gus a contract when he was not even hired yet? Please explain that to me and the rest of us. I would love to hear this.

Archived