Gus is an average coach

AUIH1

2 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Are you really saying Smart caught lighning in a bottle last year,  Seriously.?

What’s the difference between Kirby’s second year and Gus’ 1st? 

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Who said anything about Tubs?  We were talking about when Gus took over.

I guess I lost in translation.;  My apologies.

Just now, DAG said:

No not some better talent . Auburn had top ten talent. Gene Chizik was a good recruiter. I can at least say at. After coming off a NC victory, Auburn had the 5th and 6th greatest recruiting class prior to Gus getting there. I don’t know if Michigan State, in their history has ever had recruiting classes like that. I am not saying Gus is an average coach . He is a solid coach . But come on. He is not on NS level. He is not comparable to NS. We got be real here for a second.

I think we are talking past each other.  I don't think Gus is comparable to Saban now. However, at the same points in their careers, which would be MSU Saban and AU Gus, they had similar trajectories with similar situations. Gus has had better talent and resources than Saban did at MSU and the records reflect that. Will Gus evolve in the same manner as Saban did?  I have no idea. Will he continue to grow and develop his coaching acumen? We all hope so.  

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I think we are talking past each other.  I don't think Gus is comparable to Saban now. However, at the same points in their careers, which would be MSU Saban and AU Gus, they had similar trajectories with similar situations. Gus has had better talent and resources than Saban did at MSU and the records reflect that. Will Gus evolve in the same manner as Saban did?  I have no idea. Will he continue to grow and develop his coaching acumen? We all hope so.  

Ok I think I understand what you are saying now . My bad.

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Gus has no clue.  We can only hope so.

wde

First, for an OP that was intially scoffed at, funny this turned into a legit discussion.  Props!

As for Gus' trajectory... I feel like he has it in him to be truly great.  Among the greatest even.

...if only he can grow past a handful of fatal flaws, which have been discussed to death on this board.

Unfortunately (so far, for 4 years) the operative phrase for Gus is "if only".

21 hours ago, AUcivE09 said:

These threads are like a family tree that doesn't fork.

I'm a frayed knot.

Disagree with OP.  Gus is an above average coach. He won the National Championship as OC in 2010. He came within 13 seconds of winning another National Championship in 2013. He won the SEC West in 2017. He beat both teams in the National Championship game (Ala & Ga) in 2017. He is 4-7 against Nic Saban which is far better than any other active SEC Coaches record against Nic Saban. 

As someone that knows TX football, like yourself, @bigbird what’s your opinion on this and how is Morris viewed, etc?

My take:

I believe Morris is one of only 2 coaches to win 7+ games in a season at SMU since 1984, which is a pretty impressive to me.

June Jones seemed solid at SMU early, but pretty much stayed on a flat trajectory before declining.

What I noticed with Morris however is his upward trajectory, and getting better every year.

Total O went from  76,55,15

PPG went from 73,71,12

As you said, it will take him time to get his players, but I think once he gets them, look out. Which I hate, because I’m still having Matt Jones nightmares. Lol

6 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

As someone that knows TX football, like yourself, @bigbird what’s your opinion on this and how is Morris viewed, etc?

My take:

I believe Morris is one of only 2 coaches to win 7+ games in a season at SMU since 1984, which is a pretty impressive to me.

June Jones seemed solid at SMU early, but pretty much stayed on a flat trajectory before declining.

What I noticed with Morris however is his upward trajectory, and getting better every year.

PPG went from 73,71,12

As you said, it will take him time to get his players, but I think once he gets them, look out. Which I hate, because I’m still having Matt Jones nightmares. Lol

AU screwed up when when we did not hire Kirby.

wde

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

The problem there is Saban ,before the REC, was average against weaker teams.  Put Saban at South Carolina , Ole Miss, AU, or LSU and he is a  middle of the road coach that will make a run every few years.  You can't compare anyone to what he is doing at UA because it is not a fair comparison. It would be like comparing American power lifters of the 70's and 80's to East German power lifters of the 70's and 80's.  There's just something that skews the numbers.

So Gus is average against all teams.  Give me Saban any day, every day against Malzahn..   Give me Smart and even Muschamp against  Gus any day.

wde

7 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

I think I might've heard that some where before

7 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

So Gus is average against all teams.  Give me Saban any day, every day against Malzahn..   Give me Smart and even Muschamp against  Gus any day.

wde

Just trade out your AU stuff for UGA or SC stuff and you'll be happy

9 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

Your mind will change when UGA takes a step back this year. 

Just now, bigbird said:

I think I might've heard that some where before

I did from a good source.

wde

Just now, bigbird said:

Just trade out your AU stuff for UGA or SC stuff and you'll be hapoy

You are being cheap now with the insults.

wde

I know I'm a bit of a broken record but regarding Saban's "greatness" run, the greatest attribute he's got is Emmert taking over the NCAA thus giving the REC blackmail power to keep them safe from any retribution they deserve.

Thus, I believe Kirby may (MAN, I hope so!!) find out, the hard way, that it's not so easy to cheat and pay and juice up players, when you don't have the NCAA covering your six.  This year's recruiting class is more "red flag" than impressive.

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Your mind will change when UGA takes a step back this year. 

I feel the same way. 

8 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

You are being cheap now with the insults.

wde

That wasn't intended to be an insult. Just a solution to the problem being presented... repetitively

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I know I'm a bit of a broken record but regarding Saban's "greatness" run, the greatest attribute he's got is Emmert taking over the NCAA thus giving the REC blackmail power to keep them safe from any retribution they deserve.

Thus, I believe Kirby may (MAN, I hope so!!) find out, the hard way, that it's not so easy to cheat and pay and juice up players, when you don't have the NCAA covering your six.  This year's recruiting class is more "red flag" than impressive.

Very similar to Hugh's 2013 signing class

Just now, bigbird said:

Very similar to Hugh's 2013 signing class

Yes!  Odd that a school/team with a flat(-ish) trajectory (or no real trajectory at all in the case of OM) hires a new head coach with no real pedigree (as a HC) and suddenly.... BAM, they can out recruit the bammers.

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That wasn't intended to be an insult. Just a solution to the problem being presented... repetitively

The solution to the problem is obliviously being misinterpreted.......repetitively. 

35 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

My take:

PPG went from 73,71,12

He is a stud coach.  He is Gus minus the stubbornness with more creativity, especially in the passing game.  He will recruit lights out in the DFW and North East Texas area.  The area HS coaches love him and there is more than enough talent there to accomplish what he wants to do.  His biggest problem for now is the overall team speed he has at Arky.  Once that transitions, everyone will dread playing them. As long as Chavis keeps the D relevent (which there is no reason to think he won't) Arky will be a tough out.

Archived