2018 UMASS GT OT Jack Driscoll commits to AU!!! (4/25/18)

ellitor

AUsome! War eagle! I wonder if this will cause the coaches to move one of the other 3 tackles inside and slide Horton to center. Either way, the depth at tackle looks a lot better now. 

See that he committed and ratings look very good....nice to see a guy come in who is pretty much ready to play

6 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Yeah this is a big get and fills an immediate need. I feel better about missing on Calvin Anderson now. Think Driscoll graded better. 

Sure did. @ellitor mentioned one reputable source that has him as the #2 returning tackle in Go5. Pretty sure the top 2 guys at any position in Go5 are going to be very, very good football players. And this guy has already started for at least 5 SEC games. 

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1

It’s rare to have a gt come in with two years left to play, I would imagine. This gives me a whole lot better feeling about our o-line the next two years. I don’t think we have anyone above RS junior  this year.

This is fantastic news. 2 years to play and immediate help where we badly needed it. Props to Gus, Grimes, and all who recruited him.

Edited by Tiger
typos

A little tidbit I heard this morning about JD. (may be early in this thread but didn't want to go back and look)

Apparently he never intended to transfer.  He fully intended to continue his career at UMass.  However he applied to the Grad program for his degree and they declined him.  So he was forced to look else where.  Needless to say the football coach was not a happy camper about all this, but nothing he could do to fix it.

WDE JD!!  Welcome to The Family!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like he could be a diamond in the rough that makes waves next year. I'd like to see the Tennessee game from last year. UMass gave up 7 sacks to Tennessee, which is a little concerning. In any case, it sounds like he's got the physicality and the drive. If there are any issues with fundamentals, we've got the guy to fix those.

1 hour ago, LKEEL75 said:

A little tidbit I heard this morning about JD. (may be early in this thread but didn't want to go back and look)

Apparently he never intended to transfer.  He fully intended to continue his career at UMass.  However he applied to the Grad program for his degree and they declined him.  So he was forced to look else where.  Needless to say the football coach was not a happy camper about all this, but nothing he could do to fix it.

WDE JD!!  Welcome to The Family!!!

That doesn't add up - if his grad goal (as published) is truly an MBA, US News & World Report ranks Auburn's MBA program @ #73 nationally. UMass (a fairly unimpressive academic university) has a part time, on-line MBA ranked #204 nationally and it's full time grad biz school is not even ranked by US News.

Edited by aucanucktiger

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

UMass gave up 7 sacks to Tennessee

UT did have a couple of good d-linemen.

20 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Yea... so does bama, Georgia, and maybe a few other teams we're going to face. That was my point. 

Thanks @McLoofus.  He's #58 for those playing at home. I don't have the time to watch the whole thing right now, but I've already seen several plays where he's driving his man 5-8 yards down field. Gotta like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

That doesn't add up - if his grad goal (as published) is truly an MBA, US News & World Report ranks Auburn's MBA program @ #73 nationally. UMass (a fairly unimpressive academic university) has a part time, on-line MBA ranked #204 nationally and it's full time grad biz school is not even ranked by US News.

They didn't say what his original grad request was just that he was not accepted into the UM grad program.

50 minutes ago, kd4au said:

I'm guessing our coaches might have taken time to look at his film before making an offer.   I'm happy to have him on board and see no negatives about getting him on campus for the summer. 

I said before he committed he would be a good get as at worse case he would provide depth at multiple positions. Best case is he becomes a starter at a position of need. War Eagle and welcome aboard.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I said before he committed he would be a good get as at worse case he would provide depth at multiple positions. Best case is he becomes a starter at a position of need. War Eagle and welcome aboard.

Agree...it is a home run if you can bring in a GT with potential to start....not many of those around.