2018 Maui Invitational

tigerbrotha12

I watched the highlights of the Wisconsin/xavier game .  What stood out to me was the opportunity to shoot 3's for Wisky and the one big man for Xavier.   To me Size will be the biggest thing for AU in the tournament.  I listened to Pearl's postgame last night and he mentioned that no doubt Gonzaga and Duke will be #1 seeds, so it is not so important to win the tournament but to get a couple of good wins  for the resume and grow...

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I understand....we gotta beat X to get to Duke .........the right set of conditions we play both top teams....or lose the first game and the tournament gets less interesting for AU...….. so need to be taking em one game at a time

On 8/16/2018 at 1:54 PM, Tiger said:

I want to see Wiley send his chubby butt tumbling to the floor when he tries to cock one back on Austin

(assuming we are fortunate enough to play them)

I think you may be mixed up with cubby and diesel

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I think you may be mixed up with cubby and diesel

Lololol in all fairness that post was 3 months ago 

10 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

That is a long flight and time difference it will take a full day to acclimatize.

Possibly but the first game is 1:30 in the afternoon and there should not be much in the way of " jet lag" on a flight like that...  Mostly the adjustment will be the difficulty of shaking off that 40 degree Alabama weather and having to adjust to the 80 degrees they find in Hawaii......but I'm confident they can handle it...😀'

So excited!!  Have not been this excited since Doc Robinson ,Fishback,Porter,Mamadou,Bryant Smith were  tearing it up!

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Possibly but the first game is 1:30 in the afternoon and there should not be much in the way of " jet lag" on a flight like that...  Mostly the adjustment will be the difficulty of shaking off that 40 degree Alabama weather and having to adjust to the 80 degrees they find in Hawaii......but I'm confident they can handle it...😀'

You must not travel much or far (as in 10+ hour flight far)....Jet lag is real. And its not a "i couldn't sleep on the plan problem", its a "i'm wide awake at 3am cause my body thinks its noon and i can't hold my head up at 3pm cause my body thinks its midnight" problem. Glad the team is getting there today so they have a few days to adjust. But a few days won't matter to some as some folks really struggle with it.....good thing these guys are young!

30 minutes ago, gravejd said:

You must not travel much or far (as in 10+ hour flight far)....Jet lag is real. And its not a "i couldn't sleep on the plan problem", its a "i'm wide awake at 3am cause my body thinks its noon and i can't hold my head up at 3pm cause my body thinks its midnight" problem. Glad the team is getting there today so they have a few days to adjust. But a few days won't matter to some as some folks really struggle with it.....good thing these guys are young!

LA use to kill me having a meeting at 7:00 Pacific being 10 my time:hammerin: can't imagine Hawaii time change

4 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

LA use to kill me having a meeting at 7:00 Pacific being 10 my time:hammerin: can't imagine Hawaii time change

all they have to do is walk on the beach,look at the bikinis, and they will be wide awake and adjusted to the time zone....they are 18-24 years old....horace will have to stay at the hotel and babysit

I don't think jetlag would be an issue considering they got to hawaii on thursday and the first game is on monday. And if it is, then it's something that every other team would be dealing with too, so it's a wash

19 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

I don't think jetlag would be an issue considering they got to hawaii on thursday and the first game is on monday. And if it is, then it's something that every other team would be dealing with too, so it's a wash

The discussion is not about there being jet lag for our team. The discussion is if jet lag is real or not and if it would have had an affect on our team if we had to play the day after the flight instead of Monday.

2 hours ago, lost said:

So excited!!  Have not been this excited since Doc Robinson ,Fishback,Porter,Mamadou,Bryant Smith were  tearing it up!

From that year this got me more excited. One of the best in game dunks ever at any level...

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

For the better part of 20 years I traveled all over the world on a regular basis...Europe, South America,  South Africa ( 15 hours non-stop to Cape Town from Miami) and Asia (Singapore, Japan)  and typically when I got off the plane I went to the hotel, took a shower, dressed and then went out to do business.   I understand and have dealt with jet lag ….in both directions from the US.....it does wear you down. . I always found it easier to fly east than west however. .

But at least the time of the game is in pretty much in sync with their body clocks and their normal sleep time since it's only 4 or  5 hours difference       But I  was mostly making a joke about the weather....    I understand the issues and going the day before is wise...and why not? ...no point in hanging around Auburn when you can be in Hawaii. :)

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

From that year this got me more excited. One of the best in game dunks ever at any level...

Still don't know how he did that.  Just ridiculous. 

Us against Duke would be the biggest game we've been a part of, with a semblance of a chance to win, in QUITE a while. Dont mention that Clemson last game to me or Ill add you to the ignore list.

imagine us handing Zion, RJ and Cam Reddish their first loss.

13 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Us against Duke would be the biggest game we've been a part of, with a semblance of a chance to win, in QUITE a while. Dont mention that Clemson last game to me or Ill add you to the ignore list.

imagine us handing Zion, RJ and Cam Reddish their first loss.

If we play it right we can do it

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

If we play it right we can do it

I'm still back to approach....do you just let Zion have his points and stop the rest? ..or what.

But of course we first need to deal with X and that's not easy on a neutral court. 

24 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'm still back to approach....do you just let Zion have his points and stop the rest? ..or what.

But of course we first need to deal with X and that's not easy on a neutral court. 

This is all just me thinking but the way I see it, I don't think we can afford to do alot of doubling if we do it would have to come from whoever guards their center. But I imagine we'd play alot of zone against them. Their guys can hit 3's but this is a neutral court, and they are streaky so make them have to shoot over us. Make Zion have to post and score with his back to the basket. Harper should be ok with his match up.

Brown and Doughty doesn't have a chance defensively, they have a big order offensively as well as if creating a shot was ever going to be important it's a game like this. My favorite guy on Duke's team is Cam Reddish. He's not discussed hardly but he's chumma's size but has a guards skill set.

Barrett is relentless attacking the basket so whoever matches with him has to be very smart and good with moving their feet on defense. And then there's Zion......so that's why I can't see us matching them man to man but maybe zone.

I think Dunbar is probably the best bet defensively for Barrett. Maybe we'll try a different line up as chumma at 4 doesn't create a mismatch with this team. The true freshman from Kentucky that's 6'6" has a grown man body and he didn't stop him so I guess we have to out score them. 

Barrett can play out of control at times. Zion has been in foul trouble before. If we can get that to happen and slow the game up I think we can hurt them. Brown and Harper will need to be on. Brown is going to have to do something besides shoot set shots. They are long and athletic so they will make up alot of space quickly to make shooters come off their spot. We will have to attack them to get them in foul trouble. I think Harper can exploit his guy a little. Lastly if the game is close at the end that should work in our favor. They are a bunch of freshmen learning on the fly.

On 7/24/2018 at 5:20 PM, mustache eagle said:

Our win against xavier, uconn and a couple of the other "name" schools has been very, very good for our program.  Even though some of those teams have been in down years when we beat them, we still beat some traditional bball schools recently.  Man, would our season be off to a rockin start if we can beat some of those teams this year.  It could help us tremendously to play on the neutral court.

BUT! The last time we played in Hawaii, we had some tough sledding.  I thought we had some things go against us, including some officiating - i think from officials in a conference that calls games differently than we play in the SEC.  Hope we come out of Maui with at least a 2-1 record ... or how about 3 wins against xavier, duke and then arizona/gonzaga!

The last time we played in Hawaii a man named Barbee was the "leader" of the team. Nuff said.

Zion loves to go to the hoop and with Spencer and Wiley having a tendency to foul I expect he will have both of them on the bench by end of the first half.

Not sure ZW plays any serious defense so that's probably our best chance to match his points :dunno:   in fact the thing about most top frosh like the Duke bunch is they have never played much D in HS and Coach K is trying to get them in that mindset too.   

Could be high scoring since both teams like to run...maybe use our smaller line-up without Wiley or Spencer?  

I was thinking playing a big line up. If we played our small line up they could still play their starting team, or minus their center and not skip a beat. But I don't know maybe wearing them out and making them go to their bench might work.

As far as Zion the best defense I've seen played on him is Nasir little who play's on North Carolina. He maybe has the best physique I've seen on a freshman since LeBron James. And he's aggressive and mean when he plays. A throwback type. We don't have any of those though. Maybe he'll piss chumma off and chumma will get a chip on his shoulder 😂

Archived