Hurts and Tua: a tale of deceit and betrayal

Zeek

Personally, I believe Saban has utterly fooled Hurts into staying. He probably already knew Tua was taking over. Now that Hurts hasn’t transferred he’s stuck there for the rest of this year and left with only one more year of eligibility as a Grad Transfer.

Saban did this just to keep him from transferring imo. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think so.  Hurts is one semester from graduation and then he can go somewhere else.  I think he is a fool for leaving.  If he would switch to RB he would be better off.  He was the best RB on the team last year and he will not have a future in NFL at QB.  WR\RB maybe but not QB.

Hurts will be fine. He will add another ring to his collection and then go on to someplace else and play and year and maybe get drafted. 

Jalen Hurts should try TE.  Those are valued more highly in the NFL than RB's and with bammer's double secret probation juicing program he can bulk up to TE weight easily.

11 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Personally, I believe Saban has utterly fooled Hurts into staying. He probably already knew Tua was taking over. Now that Hurts hasn’t transferred he’s stuck there for the rest of this year and left with only one more year of eligibility as a Grad Transfer.

Saban did this just to keep him from transferring imo. 

I think you are dead on......NS doing what he can to keep Hurts available all season as a back-up so will give him some playing time until his four games are in the books and then Nick can do what he wants......either play him or not,  depending on game circumstances.  .  

Hurts will /can be a grad transfer after this season BUT if he plays in more than 4 games he will only have one year eligibility remaining as a transfer which greatly reduces his value to another school.....whereas, if he dumps the season now or very soon, he can do the grad transfer and still have two more seasons to play which would likely give him many more (or better) opportunities elsewhere. ….especially if he is still looking to be a QB starter.  There are lots of good schools where he could be a starting  QB for another two years if he plays things correctly. 

I expect his father sees what is going on ...not sure whether Jaylen does however …..but perhaps :dunno:

At least a few of you realize football isn’t the only reason one attends college....

Why in the world would anyone leave a free ride right before they have the diploma in their hand?

1 hour ago, AUFlyer99 said:

At least a few of you realize football isn’t the only reason one attends college....

Why in the world would anyone leave a free ride right before they have the diploma in their hand?

Good question …but a pretty common occurrence.....

It could be interesting to see how it plays out when CNS sends JH in late in game 6, 7 or 8 to do mop-up duties and Hurts knows he'll burn a year of eligibility....would Hurts dare do like the UTK player did last year and just say "no"?

What’s forgotten by most is that as a true freshman Hurts was hailed as a sure fire multiple Heisman winner, just like Tua is now. There were times I thought Gary Danielson would leave his wife for him. Now Tide Nation has thumped him aside for their newest hero.

Both of them seem to be good kids and if they were at AU we would probably be referring to either of them as a true "Auburn man".....but IMO, there is only room for one of them at bama right now...….only one guy will play QB when it matters and it appears that is Tua.. 

So Hurts is faced with the decision of spending a season of eligibility playing meaningless minutes ......or waiting for Tua to get planted (which with the bama OL is likely never to happen) so Nick would have a competent and experienced back-up.

I'm thinking this will play out in about 3 more weeks and the "QB controversy" will be over.....Tua will have the job and Hurts will be a true back-up ...or Hurts will take his red shirt season and start thinking about his future elsewhere....JMO. 

8 hours ago, alexava said:

Kiffin called it weeks ago. That’s why saban is so touchy about it. It’s guilt. 

You're right, saban knows he might have ruined this kid's future by keeping Hurts from going to another school  but that won't stop him for doing what ever is best for nick saban , disgusting in my mind. He really is a despicable person.

WDE

4 hours ago, Slammer1 said:

You're right, saban knows he might have ruined this kid's future by keeping Hurts from going to another school  but that won't stop him for doing what ever is best for nick saban , disgusting in my mind. He really is a despicable person.

WDE

This is wrong on so many levels.  Jalen is on record as saying he wasn't leaving, no matter the circumstances, because he graduates in December.  It's not all Darth Saban here.  Jalen is a man making his own decisions.

16 hours ago, AU64 said:

Both of them seem to be good kids and if they were at AU we would probably be referring to either of them as a true "Auburn man".....but IMO, there is only room for one of them at bama right now...….only one guy will play QB when it matters and it appears that is Tua.. 

So Hurts is faced with the decision of spending a season of eligibility playing meaningless minutes ......or waiting for Tua to get planted (which with the bama OL is likely never to happen) so Nick would have a competent and experienced back-up.

I'm thinking this will play out in about 3 more weeks and the "QB controversy" will be over.....Tua will have the job and Hurts will be a true back-up ...or Hurts will take his red shirt season and start thinking about his future elsewhere....JMO. 

That's just it AU64, any decent HC/Coord/position coach will preach that every game matters - every minute matters - every opponent better be taken seriously and there are no meaningless minutes/opponents.  

The OP chose to specifically mention "deceit and betrayal" in the thread title and that's fine.  But would someone please tell me the name of a HC that for a decade has managed a program and has consistently won at an unprecedented/historical clip in CFB, and is managing the reigning NC roster that would handle these two QBs any differently?

46 minutes ago, keesler said:

That's just it AU64, any decent HC/Coord/position coach will preach that every game matters - every minute matters - every opponent better be taken seriously and there are no meaningless minutes/opponents.  

The OP chose to specifically mention "deceit and betrayal" in the thread title and that's fine.  But would someone please tell me the name of a HC that for a decade has managed a program and has consistently won at an unprecedented/historical clip in CFB, and is managing the reigning NC roster that would handle these two QBs any differently?

Oh, I always expect the coach to do what is best for himself and his school......and have not been disappointed in recent years..   And that is  why I now hope and expect that young players will do what is best for themselves.  This OP was about bama and Nick.....but you could have written the same headline for Urban and what he has been doing with his QBs.  

As for "meaningless".....coaches can preach all they want but players will draw their own conclusions about what is important though I still  hope that most college players are on the field because they are really having fun and enjoy playing football.  That probably does apply mostly to those who will never play after the finish their college eligibility.....whereas for a portion of the roster, every game is a "business trip" and a chance to impress scouts.   So playing end of game minutes or being the starter against Ala. State is probably not the route to the NFL.  JMO.  

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Oh, I always expect the coach to do what is best for himself and his school......and have not been disappointed in recent years..   And that is  why I now hope and expect that young players will do what is best for themselves.  This OP was about bama and Nick.....but you could have written the same headline for Urban and what he has been doing with his QBs.  

Agreed.  

I can look back over the years and tick off several active & retired HC's that strung along QBs for their own personal well-being and for the comfort of having an experienced, quality back-up at their disposal.  Maybe folks pointed to some of those guys (Carroll/Spurrier/Nutt/Miles/Meyer/Fulmer/Osborne/Stoops. etc.) and said they were deceitful and betrayed their Qbs too, I just can't remember.  Balancing an elite level roster to insure the future success of your program has to be a massive balancing act, no doubt some feelings will get hurt in the process.

At the end of the day, everyone on this board knows how the fan base gathers up the tar 'n feathers when the Head Coach mis-evaluates the QB position & then proceeds to not have a backup ready to plug in and take over.  I'd have to err on the side of caution and do everything in my power to retain a quality #2QB, especially one he's got a 26-2 record.

He should pull a Kodi and switch to another position. I do not think he will grade as high for an NFLQB. But he could also switch positions once he gets there...Terrelle Pryor comes to mind...

2 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

He should pull a Kodi and switch to another position. I do not think he will grade as high for an NFLQB. But he could also switch positions once he gets there...Terrelle Pryor comes to mind...

That's an option but not sure he could make it at bama….maybe TE as suggested but would have to bulk up.  One thing bama has plenty of though are fast WRs...so probably no better options there either.   He's in a tough spot...JMO...

He could leave the team now and finish his degree for free in December, and then still have 2 years to play immediately plus a degree in hand.

That's what I'd do. Best thing for him as a person.

2 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

He could leave the team now and finish his degree for free in December, and then still have 2 years to play immediately plus a degree in hand.

That's what I'd do. Best thing for him as a person.

He has 2yrs to play Only if he doesn't play more than 4 games this season for uat.  More than 4 games played and he forfeits his red-shirt year.

Folks will pretty much know what Hurt's intends to do after the Arky St game on Saturday.  UAT will be up by a ton early in the 3rd qtr, QB#1 (Tua) will come out and which QB will get the mop up duty?  Will Hurt's agree to play one of his 4 games on a cupcake?  Will they put in QB#3?

16 minutes ago, keesler said:

He has 2yrs to play Only if he doesn't play more than 4 games this season for uat.  More than 4 games played and he forfeits his red-shirt year.

Folks will pretty much know what Hurt's intends to do after the Arky St game on Saturday.  UAT will be up by a ton early in the 3rd qtr, QB#1 (Tua) will come out and which QB will get the mop up duty?  Will Hurt's agree to play one of his 4 games on a cupcake?  Will they put in QB#3?

Wow, the way you state it, we should update the OP title as this is getting exciting!!!

New title:

"Hurts and Tua: a tale of deceit and betrayal, mystery and intrigue".

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

That's an option but not sure he could make it at bama….maybe TE as suggested but would have to bulk up.  One thing bama has plenty of though are fast WRs...so probably no better options there either.   He's in a tough spot...JMO...

I agree.  The kid just hasn't progressed enough in the passing facet of the game to provide a serious push for taking over as QB#1. He's had every opportunity with 2 full yrs as a starter (26-2 record) plus the entire spring getting #1 reps, plus fall camp.  He is dependable, takes care of the ball and he can execute that offense with a cool as a cucumber demeanor.  He's just missing a piece when the competition gets championship level.  He plays for a program that's an annual CFP final four team, they have to have a guy that gives them the best chance to hoist the hardware.

He'd get no more PT as a TE than he would at WR, as there are several players ahead of him all with very talented/experienced, and those guys know their position well and have been trained in an area Hurt's hasn't.  He'd have a learning curve to overcome and he'd have to out shine the guys already in front of him. A tough spot indeed - but he is not without options for his future, he's just got some serious decision making coming his way in the next few weeks.

On 9/4/2018 at 11:49 PM, alexava said:

Kiffin called it weeks ago. That’s why saban is so touchy about it. It’s guilt. 

Saban doesn't feel guilty. He's not capable of it. He just doesn't like anybody calling him out on anything he does. He is treating JH just like he treated my friend's son....different position.....exact same situation. And he was absolutely hateful when asked for a decision about the young man's future. He wasted a year of that kid's college career by stringing him along. 

4 hours ago, Barnacle said:

People think Hurts is being treated unfairly, really? He got a chance to win the job and lost it. 

No. The controversy started way back in the spring and it's about the WAY it was handled, or to be more precise...not handled/avoided.... by the nickatator. I'm pretty sure Hurts was not going to be the starter once Tua got to bammer.

Archived