aucanucktiger

Jarrett's Moment

Recommended Posts

For those that give awards the time of day - early season high profile game and IMHO his best opportunity to rise above the pack with stats, a comeback and/or a "Heisman moment" (i.e. a Sportcenter top 10 moment with legs). Widely watched game with big media expectations for Auburn and Stidham, against an LSU team also getting plenty of respect (especially it's secondary). He'll need WR help and an unexpectedly good performance by our OL but I'm feeling this is when he either seizes the moment or goes to the NFL remembered as another very good college QB - even if he rock & rolls later against UGa and/or Bama. 

Go Jarrett Go!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




agree. LSU was Cam's coming out game too. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

For those that give awards the time of day - early season high profile game and IMHO his best opportunity to rise above the pack with stats, a comeback and/or a "Heisman moment" (i.e. a Sportcenter top 10 moment with legs). Widely watched game with big media expectations for Auburn and Stidham, against an LSU team also getting plenty of respect (especially it's secondary). He'll need WR help and an unexpectedly good performance by our OL but I'm feeling this is when he either seizes the moment or goes to the NFL remembered as another very good college QB - even if he rock & rolls later against UGa and/or Bama. 

Go Jarrett Go!

Absolutely. I mentioned the other day that as good as Cam was, his signature play came against an LSU team who was not dissimilar to this one in terms of perceived talent and ranking and such. We weren't sure yet what kind of team we were. Well, we rang up 440 yards on the ground on those bastards and Cam sexed the entire nation with one sprint to the end zone. 

Stidham isn't built to have a wow play like that but he can absolutely stitch together a powerful performance if his team gives him some help, and the 3:30 CBS game is a perfect time to do it. A lot of eyes will be fixed on storm coverage, and shoot, the broadcast might even switch over to the weather room. Otherwise, you're right, this is the big stage and this whole team can really make a statement for the various committees, voters and opinion makers. 

Edit: LOL, what @ChrisH said. 

Edited by McLoofus
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

washington had a great secondary as well. i think we win but i want a blow out. i think the argument can be made that gus is a better coach right now than this time last year. we have had some dogfights with lsu and if we win big with lsu getting a little love i think we get more respect and helps keep that motivation going.............

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

washington had a great secondary as well. i think we win but i want a blow out. i think the argument can be made that gus is a better coach right now than this time last year. we have had some dogfights with lsu and if we win big with lsu getting a little love i think we get more respect and helps keep that motivation going.............

100%. I personally don't think an argument can be made to the contrary. Only question for me is do we have the OLs and RBs to move the ball and score. Every other piece is in place. 

This game almost always lets us know what kind of team we are. 2014 is the only real exception I can think of, but that's a whole 'nother conversation. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we will play our best game yet for the season and will come out on top by 14 or more points.  I ,think like last years's game, we will run up some good numbers by half time. Unlike last year in Baton Rouge, Gus will not let off of the pedal and will pour it on all 60 minutes. JMHO, but one that I think will hold true come saturday.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

we rang up 440 yards on the ground on those bastards and Cam sexed the entire nation with one sprint to the end zone

Cam is no Wilt Chamberlain ???

  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SPECIAL TEAMS! Carlson 2.0 will be the difference. JS has a chance to quiet some of the TUA love and shine in the spotlight on Saturday. WDE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

O Line has got to come of age or we could see something like Clemson ‘17. LSU’s defense is incredibly athletic and dangerous an JB Grimes is not unaware. This is the game where Chip Lindsay needs his offense to show it’s identity. With force....

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree. I just hope Chip /Gus gives my man crush the freedom to gunsling that ball across the middle like the first quarter against Udub. Especially to NCM. We have to run the ball too but I want Stidham to be cerebral Saturday for 300+. 

Edited by AUBwins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I agree. I just hope Chip /Gus gives my man crush the freedom to gunsling that ball across the middle like the first quarter against Udub. Especially to NCM. We have to run the ball too but I want Stidham to be cerebral Saturday for 300+. 

Do not fear, my man crush (Chip) needs this game to ensure his break out season.  He has been looking forward to this game for a year and will utilize JS’ skill set to the max.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's ALOT of dualities between this game and the 2010 game for Cam. Not just for the QB position, but for the offense and the whole team (respect wise). If he can give you a game as good throwing as Cam was running, that would put him at least top 5 IMO. Tua and Haskins seem to be the media darlings but Stidham has the schedule to make more of a case than either of those two. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Or we just lay another egg. :slapfh:

"We're up by 9, I like where we're at"

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The OL must have their best game of the season to this point.  Otherwise, Stidham will be running for his life and we'll have little to no running game.

I think if the OL gets punched in the jaw a couple times, they'll get ugly, fast.  Can't wait to see how our defense plays, those guys are exciting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is going to be a defensive showcase from both sides.  I trust Stidham way more than Burrow when faced with pressure and I'd take Lindsey over Ensminger (what a joke) everyday of the week.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loeffler < Nallsminger < Franklin* < Lashlee < Mazzone < Borges < Lindsey < Petrino < Malzahn

 

*In fairmess to Franklin, he wasn't given a chance to succeed

 

 

hehe just made y'all take a 20 year trip down OC memory lane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tigeraddikt said:

Loeffler < Nallsminger < Franklin* < Lashlee < Mazzone < Borges < Lindsey < Petrino < Malzahn

 

*In fairmess to Franklin, he wasn't given a chance to succeed

 

hehe just made y'all take a 20 year trip down OC memory lane.

Loeffler gets a bad rap. He, like everyone else associated with the program in 2012 except Chizik, is a lot better than what he was allowed to be here. He's definitely a hell of a lot better than Nallsminger, Franklin or- so far- Lashlee. His offense at BC is one of the best in the country right now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Loeffler gets a bad rap. He, like everyone else associated with the program in 2012 except Chizik, is a lot better than what he was allowed to be here. He's definitely a hell of a lot better than Nallsminger, Franklin or- so far- Lashlee. His offense at BC is one of the best in the country right now. 

Think alot of the problem with Loeffler was that his offense was such a radical change in philosophy from what we'd been running with Gus. That, and Kiehl Frazier, who Gus specifically had recruitied became the guinea pig for that experiment.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Think alot of the problem with Loeffler was that his offense was such a radical change in philosophy from what we'd been running with Gus. That, and Kiehl Frazier, who Gus specifically had recruitied became the guinea pig for that experiment.

Possibly. But people forget that our offense was already pretty awful in 2011. We failed to score 20 points in six games that season. We failed to score more than 14 four times and we failed to score more than 10 twice, with most of those failures happening on the back half of the season. We got worse as 2011 went on, not better. The ship was already sinking and I don't think any OC was going to even remotely sniff success in 2012. Gus knew that and I personally think that's why he took the Arkansas State job. 

As for the change in philosophy, that would have been mitigated by midseason under normal circumstances. We recruit the same guys that other schools with different offenses do. And Loeffler's first offense at BC improved dramatically as their season went on.

I'm sure the different concepts made it more challenging, but I'm of the opinion that Loeffler and his offense are scapegoats for much broader problems. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Possibly. But people forget that our offense was already pretty awful in 2011. We failed to score 20 points in six games that season. We failed to score more than 14 four times and we failed to score more than 10 twice, with most of those failures happening on the back half of the season. We got worse as 2011 went on, not better. The ship was already sinking and I don't think any OC was going to even remotely sniff success in 2012. Gus knew that and I personally think that's why he took the Arkansas State job. 

As for the change in philosophy, that would have been mitigated by midseason under normal circumstances. We recruit the same guys that other schools with different offenses do. And Loeffler's first offense at BC improved dramatically as their season went on.

I'm sure the different concepts made it more challenging, but I'm of the opinion that Loeffler and his offense are scapegoats for much broader problems. 

I think you are right, for sure. The problems in 2012 most certainly stemmed from the top down. Maybe I didn't word my post very well. My point was just that if you are going to criticize anything having to do with the offense, the criticism should be aimed at the change in philosophy, rather than the philosophy itself. I'm not blaming Loeffler, I'm blaming Chizik - who was convinced that the problem with the 2011 Auburn defense was the 2011 Auburn offense.  Gus left because Chizik wasn't going to let him run his offense in 2012 and he didn't want to become the scapegoat either. To your point, its very likely that Loeffler wasn't given the reigns to run his offense in 2012.

As to what types of offenses our players had background in, you're probably right, but my point there is that Kiehl Frazier, our heir apparent quarterback had been playing in a Malzahn system since middle school. We were asking that kid to do things he had never done in his entire life, and completely robbed him of the athletic/instinctual type of play that made him a high-school All-American. Again, I don't blame Loeffler for that, I blame Chizik for bringing in Loeffler and then asking him to run an offense that was literally the exact opposite of what we were doing under Gus. I think Loeffler was asked to come in and try and fit a square peg into a round hole. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I think you are right, for sure. The problems in 2012 most certainly stemmed from the top down. Maybe I didn't word my post very well. My point was just that if you are going to criticize anything having to do with the offense, the criticism should be aimed at the change in philosophy, rather than the philosophy itself. I'm not blaming Loeffler, I'm blaming Chizik - who was convinced that the problem with the 2011 Auburn defense was the 2011 Auburn offense.  Gus left because Chizik wasn't going to let him run his offense in 2012 and he didn't want to become the scapegoat either. To your point, its very likely that Loeffler wasn't given the reigns to run his offense in 2012.

As to what types of offenses our players had background in, you're probably right, but my point there is that Kiehl Frazier, our heir apparent quarterback had been playing in a Malzahn system since middle school. We were asking that kid to do things he had never done in his entire life, and completely robbed him of the athletic/instinctual type of play that made him a high-school All-American. Again, I don't blame Loeffler for that, I blame Chizik for bringing in Loeffler and then asking him to run an offense that was literally the exact opposite of what we were doing under Gus. I think Loeffler was asked to come in and try and fit a square peg into a round hole. 

I hear ya. You might be right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now