Things I Think I Saw: Auburn vs Ole Miss

JMR

• WarTiger changed the title to Things I Think I Saw: Auburn vs Ole Miss

That's a pretty open-ended question, Corch. I thought Stidham was a little better this week, possibly helped by the chance to throw the ball between the hash marks for a change. I have been pretty disappointed overall with his "reaction" to pressure, whether real or imagined. I will say, I don't think his reactions are out of fear of getting hit, but rather out of fear of a bad play. Unfortunately, his reactions have in some cases created WORSE than sacks or losses. I thought he was better this week, although the protection was also better, so who knows? I do think at least part of the problem has been the extreme predictability of our offense, and the fact that there have been very limited "complimentary" routes in our passing game, half-field reads assigned, and even one-defender reads at times.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, CR said:

Coach, any idea what's happened to Moultry?

Just a guess, CR, but sometimes when a coach gets a little "down" on a player, the player doesn't handle it very well. I'm not saying Garner is wrong at all, but some guys need positive reinforcement, and when you're not doing much right, it's tough for a coach to come up with anything positive. Moultry is just going to have to "take coaching", and get better. Then he'll get what he needs from his coach.

10 minutes ago, JMR said:

Just a guess, CR, but sometimes when a coach gets a little "down" on a player, the player doesn't handle it very well. I'm not saying Garner is wrong at all, but some guys need positive reinforcement, and when you're not doing much right, it's tough for a coach to come up with anything positive. Moultry is just going to have to "take coaching", and get better. Then he'll get what he needs from his coach.

Gotta be tough to play for Garner as we've seen before. Hope Moultry takes the heat and comes on. Thanks.

1 hour ago, JMR said:

• T.D. Moultry is still struggling. His technique is often fundamentally unsound, which gets exposed quickly in this league, and he gives up too quickly on plays, rather than working to recover quickly. He is a talented kid, but he’s got work to do before he can put that talent to use.

His effort is lax, too. I saw 2 plays (for sure) where he was initially beat, gave up, stood and watched Ta’amu scramble and make a play instead of continuing to fight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JMR said:

That's a pretty open-ended question, Corch. I thought Stidham was a little better this week, possibly helped by the chance to throw the ball between the hash marks for a change. I have been pretty disappointed overall with his "reaction" to pressure, whether real or imagined. I will say, I don't think his reactions are out of fear of getting hit, but rather out of fear of a bad play. Unfortunately, his reactions have in some cases created WORSE than sacks or losses. I thought he was better this week, although the protection was also better, so who knows? I do think at least part of the problem has been the extreme predictability of our offense, and the fact that there have been very limited "complimentary" routes in our passing game, half-field reads assigned, and even one-defender reads at times.

I've also had the same thought process and discussed on the board the half field reads and spoke about his freshman year at Baylor being mainly a 1 read system.  

1 hour ago, JMR said:

Agreed.   and do your job first then make the play.  I think he may be trying to make the play instead of doing his job on a particular play

I've also been disappointed with Moultry's play this year after the rave reviews last year.  Aggressiveness and decision making don't seem to be there so far.  You may have hit the nail on the head with the root cause Corch. Hopefully that light will come on soon.  We really need him.

• RunInRed featured and pinned this topic

As much as Kam could help the running game with Boobee banged up I’d still put Malik Miller and Shivers ahead of him.  Kam wants to run as fast as he can between the center and guard ever play and would be much better served on the outside runs and quick pitches where speed matters more.  I’ve seen Miller get stopped in the backfield twice only to throw off tacklers and make a big run.  Miller and Shivers would be true thunder and lightning.

I have this serious love/hate relationship with Stidham this season. My biggest gripe this week was his lack of "playing to win" and I think that can be said just about every week, but it stood out to me more this week. For example: third down and Stidham keeps the ball and takes off but instead of even trying to reach the 1st down marker (which he very likely would make) he gives up on the play and we end up with a 4th and 2. Or on other plays where he rolls/scrambles to the sideline he'd rather just run out of bounds (sometimes for a loss) instead of cutting up field for a couple of yards or at the very least, throwing the ball away.

I think it's plays like these where people start assuming he's trying to avoid contact as much as possible.

OR.. as this has suddenly occurred to me, perhaps his fumbling issues from last season (mostly when he DID keep the ball and run into contact) has made him overly cautious about attempting it this season. Hmm...

• Like 1

You have now placed your finger square on this teams problem, their field general leader is SAWFT! The team takes on the persona of the quarterback. There was no excuse for him to slide on that play. In my mind it was the most clear example of this teams problem was his failure to get that first down so the team could kneel and run out the clock. Heck even Sean White would have tried to get it. Cam  and Nick would have ripped off ten yards or scored. Anyway, i am with you and until he shows some intestional fortitude we will keep playing like we are now.

I’m sorry but I can’t get past the quality of our defensive opposition when discussing any offensive improvements. I do think we looked better overall but then again we should have. I imagine most SEC teams look improved after playing OM’s defense. The big thing that I noticed (as was mentioned) was Stidham throwing between the hash’s. That’s a game changer for us I think. 

• Like 1

Something I’ve noticed (and has been pointed out on here) about Kam... He’s not a patient runner. He tries to hit the prespecified hole as quickly as possible rather than patiently waiting on the blocking to develop. Honestly, I think he’s more powerful than folks give him credit for, and I think he’s still a very talented RB. Unfortunately, with our poor blocking this year, holes aren’t opening where they are expected to, so he’s not able to be effective in our offense right now. Thus, I think Kam getting buried in the depth chart is less about talent and more about how his talent is more limited than some of the others with the poor OL play. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jfsmoncrief said:

Moultry should be playing linebacker 

I agree. IMO, It will be hard to keep Jibunor off the field.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2018 at 9:22 PM, bigbird said:

I agree. IMO, It will be hard to keep Jibunor off the field.

I have thought this as well. I never liked him at buck. I did think CRG would be able to get him to an elite level there but I thought he would he a good backup to dwill

On 10/22/2018 at 10:13 AM, Linayus said:

I have this serious love/hate relationship with Stidham this season. My biggest gripe this week was his lack of "playing to win" and I think that can be said just about every week, but it stood out to me more this week. For example: third down and Stidham keeps the ball and takes off but instead of even trying to reach the 1st down marker (which he very likely would make) he gives up on the play and we end up with a 4th and 2. Or on other plays where he rolls/scrambles to the sideline he'd rather just run out of bounds (sometimes for a loss) instead of cutting up field for a couple of yards or at the very least, throwing the ball away.

I think it's plays like these where people start assuming he's trying to avoid contact as much as possible.

OR.. as this has suddenly occurred to me, perhaps his fumbling issues from last season (mostly when he DID keep the ball and run into contact) has made him overly cautious about attempting it this season. Hmm...

It's his coaching...

Gus drills into his QBs not to turn the ball over, don't create negative plays. ( We don't throw the ball over the middle. Our pass posts mostly consist of only 50/50 balls way down the field or screen plays to the sidelines) last season J. Stid late on the season he got those extra yards with his legs ( see the Alabama game) this year, the pressure of not making bad plays cares causes him to not stretch for the next few yards, or fear of his Oline turning a guy or two loose causes him to rush his throws. He's been so inconsistent and so have our more experienced receivers. It's fitting when he gets those extra yards, we get a penalty or a sack. Or he drops a dime after an overthrow and the receiver drops it. I do think he is a rhythm throw QB, and is better at throwing it on a rope or a line but we don't have routes like that but we've force him way down the field where its less rythm and more 50/50 versus thread the pass after some rythm throws. ( I'm thinking more of A TE over the middle of the field)..I realize this breakdown has more to do with throwing than your point about fumbles. 

This is an incredibly frustrating year. I'm sure he's frustrated as well. I just want consistency, successful consistency. From Gus ...for J.Stid..for Auburn. 

Edited by Randman5000
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2018 at 8:50 AM, AUFriction said:

Something I’ve noticed (and has been pointed out on here) about Kam... He’s not a patient runner. He tries to hit the prespecified hole as quickly as possible rather than patiently waiting on the blocking to develop. Honestly, I think he’s more powerful than folks give him credit for, and I think he’s still a very talented RB. Unfortunately, with our poor blocking this year, holes aren’t opening where they are expected to, so he’s not able to be effective in our offense right now. Thus, I think Kam getting buried in the depth chart is less about talent and more about how his talent is more limited than some of the others with the poor OL play. 

I was very impressed with the patience Shivers showed on his runs, even the one or two when the blocking never developed and he was dropped for a loss. One of these days, he's going to hit a crease and be gone, with DBs taking poor angles on him due to his track speed. I still like Asa, and think he could be an important piece for us at some point, but Worm is living up to my billing him as the best running back in the 2018 recruiting class.