8-17! (merged threads)

WarEagleChemE

45 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'd say their backs we're equal to our backers. The problem was two fold. 1) They schemed their backs into positions of success and 2) The OL were able to routinely get to the 2nd level and onto our LB.

I'd also say their backers and ends were better than our OL not the backs. I can't find much fault in the backs. They are put in limiting positions by scheme and blocking.

My absolute biggest complaint is our incessant ability to go away from success.  Seriously, if you have a back avg 5+ ypc and he bust out a 30+ yard run, why do we not see him again? IMO, Shivers should be RB1 and it's not close.  To me, he has better speed, power, aggression, and heart.  

If you can't see the difference in their backs and our backs then I don't know what to say.  I'm talking entirely outside of blocking.  And that's not a defense of Gus just stating the obvious.  Our linebackers played like a pile of turds...  Yes one time the guard got up into Deshaun but the others deshaun either had the wrong run fit or was just to slow getting to the point of the attack.  

We went 4-5 wide.  That's what you've been wanting.  Stidham just can not carry this team to a win.  Don't give me designed short passes crap.  He can't read a defense to save his life.  Double hitch on a slant... 

Other then bad OL play everyone is complaining about scheme and no adjustments...  we've adjusted all year trying to play to the strength of our QB.   So other the responsibility falling ultimately on the head coach what "coaching" mistake has Gus made in games this year?  

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I have said all year about the offense.  An OL that can't run block and a QB that is inconsistent isn't a good combination at all.  Also as I've said I don't care what the power that be decide.  Auburn is who Auburn is... We have history to prove we are a great program just not consistent no matter the type of coach.  We will have a good season followed up with a very average season, then an average season followed up by a great season.  It's been that way since 1980.  That's my reluctance on change, that and how well this staff recruits.  One thing is for certain if we go backwards in recruiting we definitely wont be able to compete for championships for a while.  

In 2017 we were 4th in scoring offense in the SEC at 33 pts per game only 4 pts per game behind the SEC leader.  We were 2nd in the SEC in first downs per game.  The scheme didn't get bad.  The defensive coaches didn't figure out our offense.  Gus didn't forgot how to coach.  We are just inexperienced, haven't executed, and lost confidence on O.  Like I have said before other then this year and no I haven't looked it up so I could be wrong but AU's offense as Gus as coach or OC has been in the top 3-4 every season except this one.  

Gus's overall record as HC against power 5 teams w winning records at years end. For this season to date I included power 5 teams with .500 records, bc i'm not sure how they'll end up. Turds are not on the list for this year bc we haven't played them yet. UCF was left off bc they aren't a power 5 team.

2013: 6-2

2014: 5-5

2015: 2-6

2016: 2-5

2017: 6-3

2018: 3-4 ( OM and UT each at .500) 

Overall: 24-25

Sub .500. Anyone surprised by this? My math may be off bc I did this rather quickly, but I  don't think it is.

22 minutes ago, corchjay said:

If you can't see the difference in their backs and our backs then I don't know what to say.  I'm talking entirely outside of blocking.  And that's not a defense of Gus just stating the obvious.  Our linebackers played like a pile of turds...  Yes one time the guard got up into Deshaun but the others deshaun either had the wrong run fit or was just to slow getting to the point of the attack.  

We went 4-5 wide.  That's what you've been wanting.  Stidham just can not carry this team to a win.  Don't give me designed short passes crap.  He can't read a defense to save his life.  Double hitch on a slant... 

Other then bad OL play everyone is complaining about scheme and no adjustments...  we've adjusted all year trying to play to the strength of our QB.   So other the responsibility falling ultimately on the head coach what "coaching" mistake has Gus made in games this year?  

One time? Seriously? Their OL and TE climbed on our LBs all night. Are there backs better, yes...maybe. However, they seem much better because of the better blocking and the better play calling/scheme. They were always placed in positions to suceed. None of their backs would be any better than ours in our offense. If you can't see that, then...

It doesn't matter the formations or personnel if you throw screens ~70% of the time and neglect 1/3 of the field. If Stidham can't lead this offense, then why was he brought in. Why was he such a heralded recruit? Why did he have success under another staff? If Stidham can't lead this offense, then how did he has such success last year? More importantly, why has he struggled so badly this year?

Also, if he isn't the right QB for this team, then it's a failure on the coaches for one of two reasons.  Either for not recruiting the type of QB needed or for not realizing it, not pulling Stidham, and not having another QB ready.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Gus Malzahn is about to be 8-17 vs. our rivals Bama, UGA, & LSU.

I repeat 8-17 vs Bama, UGA, & LSU!!!

Keeping him does nothing except delaying finding a potential solution. There is no hope of a real turn around w/ Gus as the HC. I know $32 mil is a very hard pill to swallow but damn it swallow it, cut ties, & let's move on to the hope of a bright future with the program. No point delaying the inevitable.

Amen Brother Ellitor, Amen!

2 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

Gus's overall record as HC against power 5 teams w winning records at years end. For this season to date I included power 5 teams with .500 records, bc i'm not sure how they'll end up. Turds are not on the list for this year bc we haven't played them yet. UCF was left off bc they aren't a power 5 team.

2013: 6-2

2014: 5-5

2015: 2-6

2016: 2-5

2017: 6-3

2018: 3-4 ( OM and UT each at .500) 

Overall: 24-25

Sub .500. Anyone surprised by this? My math may be off bc I did this rather quickly, but I  don't think it is.

Nope not surprised at all.  That is Auburn for you.  This year is the anomaly for a Gus offense only year close was 2015 and the QB issues.  2013 and 2014 the defense was so bad thankfully we won as many games as we did.  

You can almost always predict how Auburn will do like clock work.  Good team, average team, average team, better then good, average team, bad team (6-6), good team, great team, average, average, good, bad, average, very good, average, great team... I've seen it my entire life.  I'd say I've watched closely and been a "student" of AU football for 35 years.  

It will not happen.....but I would love to see Gatewood play at least 1 or 2 series during the Liberty game. Heck, give Cord a series or 2.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

One time? Seriously? Their OL and TE climbed on our LBs all night. Are there backs better, yes...maybe. However, they seem much better because of the better blocking and the better play calling/scheme. They were always placed in positions to suceed. None of their backs would be any better than ours in our offense. If you can't see that, then...

It doesn't matter the formations or personnel if you throw screens ~70% of the time and neglect 1/3 of the field. If Stidham can't lead this offense, then why was he brought in. Why was he such a heralded recruit? Why did he have success under another staff? If Stidham can't lead this offense, then how did he has such success last year? More importantly, why has he struggled so badly this year?

Also, if he isn't the right QB for this team, then it's a failure on the coaches for one of two reasons.  Either for not recruiting the type of QB needed or for not realizing it, not pulling Stidham, and not having another QB ready.

I've rewatched the game... and Deshaun (who I love) was out of place on run fits all night and to slow to recover.  Like i said I noticed the guard got to him 1 time.  Maybe I missed another.  So screen to backs and they smoke our linebackers and safeties in 1 on 1 situations.  Same thing on our side same type screen to our backs result in a 3 yard loss.  

What 3rd of the field did we neglect?  The deep stuff? Our OL can't hold long enough, 2 deep safeties... You're a DB coach in a 2 deep set where do you as a D coach want the ball thrown in that set?  middle deep correct?  or deep sideline either one?  So the right offensive call is intermediate and short throws to counter.  Stidham played 3 nice games at Baylor against Big12 defenses.  What's the average points allowed on defense in that conference?  40?  Stidham had some nice throws deep last year when safeties were pulled in for run support.  He still had the same issues when the first option was covered and/or any pressure or assumed pressure.  he's got a great arm.  In speaking of right QB for the team has nothing to do with his talent and everything to do with his intangibles.  That's why everyone was excited that he "worked a lot over the summer" with pocket presence issues.  

12 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Nope not surprised at all.  That is Auburn for you.  This year is the anomaly for a Gus offense only year close was 2015 and the QB issues.  2013 and 2014 the defense was so bad thankfully we won as many games as we did.  

You can almost always predict how Auburn will do like clock work.  Good team, average team, average team, better then good, average team, bad team (6-6), good team, great team, average, average, good, bad, average, very good, average, great team... I've seen it my entire life.  I'd say I've watched closely and been a "student" of AU football for 35 years.  

What was your prediction for this year, if you made one? 

I said 9-3. Thought we'd lose to UW, UGA and UA. Figured we'd be solid, but not great.

6 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

It will not happen.....but I would love to see Gatewood play at least 1 or 2 series during the Liberty game. Heck, give Cord a series or 2.

Malik and Worm/K-Mart running the zone read.  Malik and K-Mart were deadly together last year

1 minute ago, doug3020 said:

What was your prediction for this year, if you made one? 

I said 9-3. Thought we'd lose to UW, UGA and UA. Figured we'd be solid, but not great.

10-2/9-3... Wasn't sure how LSU would be.... but did predict a close game against UT as well but predicted we'd win

UT made Kentucky look bad yesterday. Made our loss to them a bit more tolerable but not much.

51 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Not calling time out last night with 1:15 left in the half forcing Kirby to punt for starters. Kirby let the clock run down so he had virtually nothing to lose by going for it I, 4th, and 3. Result, touchdown. That being said, look man I get it coaching is a fraternity and I understand you feel the need to defend a fellow coach. I can't argue x's and o's with you, but I can certainly argue logic. All I know is it's always some issue with Malzahn. This year we don't have the quarterback, according to you, or the offensive line, or the running backs. Prior years it's been injuries According to some that have caused us to crap the bed. Another year it was because Jeremy Johnson just didn't work out for whatever reason irregardless of the fact that our genius head coach was busy hyping him  4for the Heisman. It's always some issue that mysteriously seems to be out of Gus's control. If he is here one more year I'll have the popcorn ready so I can sit back and watch what the excuse is next year. Jarrett Stidham can't see the field, and can't read defenses, but my argument is he's been under Gus's tutelage for 2 years now. Maybe that's his problem.

13 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Stidham played 3 nice games at Baylor against Big12 defenses.  What's the average points allowed on defense in that conference?  40?  Stidham had some nice throws deep last year when safeties were pulled in for run support.  He still had the same issues when the first option was covered and/or any pressure or assumed pressure.  he's got a great arm.  In speaking of right QB for the team has nothing to do with his talent and everything to do with his intangibles.  That's why everyone was excited that he "worked a lot over the summer" with pocket presence issues.  

Not sure that fans or coaches had a good understanding of JS when he came to AU.....he was represented as a dual threat and took most AU fans more than half a season to see that he was not quick, not fast afoot, not much interested in taking a hit and no real threat to run the ball.   Nothing changed this year except he seemed even less able to escape pressure.   

As for "pocket presence"....JS has had problems with pressure and still does.  I've yet to see him stand in with a defender coming toward him....and take the hit in order to get the ball off to an open receiver.  Last night he dumped several passes with open receivers in view.....just too quick to surrender.   Gotta give Fromm some credit....he was under pretty good rush and AU defenders laid the wood to him several times.....but never shied away from trying to get the pass off. 

We are bowl eligible, JS probably not going to be back next year....the remaining games are not critical so guess it's time to give someone else a shot at the QB job starting next week...and right from the start...rather that just isolated plays in the middle of an offensive series. 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Not sure that fans or coaches had a good understanding of JS when he came to AU.....he was represented as a dual threat and took most AU fans more than half a season to see that he was not quick, not fast afoot, not much interested in taking a hit and no real threat to run the ball.   Nothing changed this year except he seemed even less able to escape pressure.   

As for "pocket presence"....JS has had problems with pressure and still does.  I've yet to see him stand in with a defender coming toward him....and take the hit in order to get the ball off to an open receiver.  Last night he dumped several passes with open receivers in view.....just too quick to surrender.   Gotta give Fromm some credit....he was under pretty good rush and AU defenders laid the wood to him several times.....but never shied away from trying to get the pass off. 

We are bowl eligible, JS probably not going to be back next year....the remaining games are not critical so guess it's time to give someone else a shot at the QB job starting next week...and right from the start...rather that just isolated plays in the middle of an offensive series. 

Yeah friend, you keep holding out hope for that. If you think Gus is going to start a different quarterback next week I'm going to Florida and count Republican votes in Broward County

3 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Five dollars here, 10 dollars there, and it'll add up in no time.  Count me in for the first donation of $10.

Everyone should donate their age in dollars. When your older like I am you're in a bigger hurry to see success on the field and a trophy in the case so I don't mind giving more to the cause. 😁 

2 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Everyone should donate their age in dollars. When your older like I am you're in a bigger hurry to see success on the field and a trophy in the case so I don't mind giving more to the cause. 😁 

In that case, as of 2 days ago I owe $56...AU class of 1985.

21 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

UT made Kentucky look bad yesterday. Made our loss to them a bit more tolerable but not much.

anigif_enhanced-22156-1417390201-1.gif

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Oh, I wish we could.  ..at least buy the blackmail material on Emmert to help Auburn ignore the rules and buy some officiating.

Wondering what Saban's blackmail material consists of.. possibly crossdressing pix?

4 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

In that case, as of 2 days ago I owe $56...AU class of 1985.

With my $58 we're already over $100. Progress. 

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

You must have been asleep during Dye's best years from 83 - 89. Just about all of them were in the hunt for an SEC title going into November even the disappointing 84 team. 

13 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Wondering what Saban's blackmail material consists of.. possibly crossdressing pix?

That would be funny, but seriously I believe he has info on Emmert's involvement in breaking rules at LSU while they were both there.

I believe they might be buds but probably even co-conspirators.... certainly, at least, Saban knows Emmert's skeletons.

And this isn't just pulling stuff out of the air.  You can easily Google articles with these very implications. I know I've linked them in other threads.

52 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

That’s a sign of good coaching. Your team has improved over the course of the season. When is the last time we said that about Auburn? 

6 minutes ago, AUJedi said:

That’s a sign of good coaching. Your team has improved over the course of the season. When is the last time we said that about Auburn? 

2013 and November 2017

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Oh, I wish we could.  ..at least buy the blackmail material on Emmert to help Auburn ignore the rules and buy some officiating.

Lol why buy when you could just bump into Saban and pickpoket several...........would never miss it😁

Archived