Chip Lindsey

auburn4ever

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t know that it’s a foregone conclusion that chip is going anywhere. I also think it’s pure speculation that Freeze is even considered to replace him. If someone has anything concrete........

the question I have is this. will the new coordinator be a Gus man? Unless its Freeze I hope Gus dies not have total authority to hire who he pleases or we screwed. 

It’s Gus’ team, he decides who he wants working for him.  He and the OC may work out the staff plan together, but Gus calls the shots as he should.

If Gus is going to let Chip go, he needs to do it after the bammer game and bring in Freeze asap so that he can start installing his offense for the bowl game. The sooner we get the new OC and other position coaching jobs, the better off we are. One interesting thing would be for Gus to wait till after the bowl game and hire the new OC and have GUs to run the offense 100% for the bowl game to see if him running it his total way might produce some of the pre 2015 stats.

I was on the Freeze train but Briles sticks out to me for a couple reasons.

#1 is Stidham.  I think Briles would talk Stidham into staying one more year.  Wasn’t Briles Stidham’s coach at Baylor?

#2 is Gus was visiting Baylor prior to the scandal sharing ideas with Art and Kendal about passing offense.  If Gus wanted to bring those ideas to Auburn and resurrect his offense then this is his chance.

5 hours ago, kd4au said:

Are you basing this on the outstanding play of or QB's since he has been here? I would much prefer he moved on and hire a real QB coach/OC if we must keep Gus.

I was basing it on sarcasm...

4 hours ago, keesler said:

It’s Gus’ team, he decides who he wants working for him.  He and the OC may work out the staff plan together, but Gus calls the shots as he should.

I agree. And if he was worth a piss at doing it, we wouldn't want him gone..

8 hours ago, corchjay said:

Gus is the head coach he’s paid to meddle.  

There is a major difference in meddling as a head coach and straight up not letting people do their jobs. When you dictate the staff for your OC and insert yourself into the inner working of the offence and it obviously negatively affects your team, there is a problem. 

Plus, you know good and well what my comment alludes to, let's not play semantics. 

Soeone has to carry the blame for the way this offense has played all season. We all know Gus sure as heck won't take one drop of blame during his 6 years on the Plains.

I don't think anyone would mind "meddling" if the results showed that it worked.  

6 hours ago, doc4aday said:

If Gus is going to let Chip go, he needs to do it after the bammer game and bring in Freeze asap so that he can start installing his offense for the bowl game. The sooner we get the new OC and other position coaching jobs, the better off we are. One interesting thing would be for Gus to wait till after the bowl game and hire the new OC and have GUs to run the offense 100% for the bowl game to see if him running it his total way might produce some of the pre 2015 stats.

I'm not sure why anyone would think any new OC would get to bring their own coaches or run their own offense. Chip wasn't allowed to do either.

On 11/16/2018 at 5:21 PM, AUpreacherman22 said:

There’s no way Chip will be here next year.   He’s the fall guy for gus to stay one more year.   

How many fall guys does 1 man get in his tenure? First grandpa Ellis, Then basically he threw his own son Lashlee to the wolves now Chip. WHERE DOES IT END WITH GUS!!!???? When is he held accountable?

57 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

How many fall guys does 1 man get in his tenure? First grandpa Ellis, Then basically he threw his own son Lashlee to the wolves now Chip. WHERE DOES IT END WITH GUS!!!???? When is he held accountable?

The Ellis change actually fixed things though. 

Its the offensive staff changes that havent helped. I am curious though to see what moves will be made in the off-season. 

What I struggle with, is if we want Gus to hire a guy to run their offense, then what use is Gus to us? The CEO thing got ruled out in 2015. To me, I think him hiring Grimes was banking on a short term miracle as he knew what OL recruiting looked like at the time. 2019 will have the weight of 2018s struggles on it and if we thought the blocking was bad this year, we lose Cox this year. That is scary.

10 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

The Ellis change actually fixed things though. 

Its the offensive staff changes that havent helped. I am curious though to see what moves will be made in the off-season. 

What I struggle with, is if we want Gus to hire a guy to run their offense, then what use is Gus to us? The CEO thing got ruled out in 2015. To me, I think him hiring Grimes was banking on a short term miracle as he knew what OL recruiting looked like at the time. 2019 will have the weight of 2018s struggles on it and if we thought the blocking was bad this year, we lose Cox this year. That is scary.

*Ron Howard voice* Nothing. HE IS NO USE TO US!!!! haha. He is not a good enough recruiter like a Dabo or Urban to warrant being a CEO Head Coach. He is not a dynamic personality where that would work. It would be like basically bowden and paterno when they were in their 70's and still coaching. Just a figurehead who does not do much.

Some of y’all need to wake up from the dream of Gus, an offensive coach, letting someone come in and run their own offense with zero input from him. It ain’t happening. 

Just now, PoetTiger said:

Some of y’all need to wake up from the dream of Gus, an offensive coach, letting someone come in and run their own offense with zero input from him. It ain’t happening. 

Well then we are f#$%^d for next year. THE ONLY hope we had was Hugh Freeze coming in and doing what he wanted unbothered by Gus.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Well then we are f#$%^d for next year. THE ONLY hope we had was Hugh Freeze coming in and doing what he wanted unbothered by Gus.

Why the love for Freeze? IMO he is basically Gus lite or Gus 2.0...only thing is he cheated. His teams never saw the SEC title game and for every win over Bama there was an loss to Arky or someone else of the sort....I’d rather see the Briles kid or someone else.....JMO 

2 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Why the love for Freeze? IMO he is basically Gus lite or Gus 2.0...only thing is he cheated. His teams never saw the SEC title game and for every win over Bama there was an loss to Arky or someone else of the sort....I’d rather see the Briles kid or someone else.....JMO 

I too rather have Baby Briles but Freeze knows how to run a great passing attack in the SEC. Something Gus is absolutely allergic to and the worst at. His passing schemes are chicken s$%t. First you have to factor in that he was at Ole Miss a perennial cellar dweller and second he is coming in as OC not head coach. His offenses were always potent.

I think he has to go if you want to sate the fanbase at all tbh. I think Kelly Bryant would be a nudge but youre going have to have immense change from some coaching spot if you want legitimate hype for the team next season. I honestly think this could be a team with even less expectations than 2016

5 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

He better or the reality is he will be gone within this time next year. If he was an “offensive coach,” he wouldn’t have such terrible remnants of offensive stats. So yes, it needs to happen. Some times you don’t need input. You need to STFU to grow and Gus needs some growing to do. Otherwise, it is just pride.

Archived