QB Tyree Jackson looking to transfer

PigskinPat

Buffalo QB this year. He’s a 6’7” 245 lb DT QB with a cannon for an arm, but isn’t the most accurate at the moment. Do you guys think he’s even on our radar? Do we put feelers out to Fields or do we just roll with who we have?

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2018/12/26/18156753/tyree-jackson-transfer-buffalo-qb

He had a 28-to-12 TD-to-interception ratio. He was explosive, completing only 55 percent of his passes but averaging 7.7 yards per throw. He was valuable in the run game, carrying 36 times for 6.7 yards per carry (sacks not included) and seven touchdowns. His passer rating was a solid 137, second in the MAC behind Ohio’s Nathan Rourke.”

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that Gus ought to go with who he has on the roster now. His recruiting highly rated QB's and then looking for a transfer every,or every other year is just pitiful and a waste of scholarships!  Almost as bad as looking for OL transfers. He needs to get off his lazy butt, and get hot on the recruiting trail, and DEVELOP the one's that he has given a scholly to! That sucker has just flat-dab not done the job that he was hired to do! RECRUIT and DEVELOPE! I could also throw in the lack of surrounding himself with QUALITY assistants in certain positions. But that's another story for another day.....

When I read “not the most accurate at the moment “ my interest level tanked. I think we already have a big great athlete at qb. We have what I think is a gifted passer coming out of high school and two more options. If you take a transfer you almost have to promise him the job. I probably wouldn’t want to disrupt the competition. Seeing a high light film could change my mind though.

I watched him in their bowl game against Troy; he looks to have a lot of potential.  Whether he should transfer to Auburn is another question.  On a side note, I love some the gutsy decisions that the Troy coach (Neil Brown?) went with in that game.  Reminded me of a young Tommy Tuberville.

45 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

I think when people say "develop a QB" they don't even fully know what that means. They just repeat what somebody else said 

Care to expound on where everyone is getting it wrong? 

I promise this is nothing negative.  Just my honest desire.

I don't want a GT.

I want to see one of these (what should be) very talented QB's that are already on the roster.  Yes, even including over Bo Nix.

Yes, I get all the "well they weren't good enough to get on the field this year" arguments etc. That's fine...maybe they weren't.

But I'm genuinely excited about the potential of (in order) Joey Gatewood, Cord Sandberg & Malik Willis.

I suspect Joey & Cord possibly share a similar style (w/ Joey having a bigger upside & probably more speed) and Malik could be similar to Nick Marshall.

Bryant or Tate (especially Tate) would have been real interesting.  The rest, I'm sure are good in their own right, but I just want to see the young men, already on the roster, produce.

JMO...

War Eagle

8 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I promise this is nothing negative.  Just my honest desire.

I don't want a GT.

I want to see one of these (what should be) very talented QB's that are already on the roster.  Yes, even including over Bo Nix.

Yes, I get all the "well they weren't good enough to get on the field this year" arguments etc. That's fine...maybe they weren't.

But I'm genuinely excited about the potential of (in order) Joey Gatewood, Cord Sandberg & Malik Willis.

I suspect Joey & Cord possibly share a similar style (w/ Joey having a bigger upside & probably more speed) and Malik could be similar to Nick Marshall.

Bryant or Tate (especially Tate) would have been real interesting.  The rest, I'm sure are good in their own right, but I just want to see the young men, already on the roster, produce.

JMO...

War Eagle

Agree 100%!

It's time to fully utilize the players this staff has worked so hard to recruit and sign.  

30 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Care to expound on where everyone is getting it wrong? 

First off, half the people on this forum spell it “develope”.

You always bring in good talent to raise the competition in any position room. Just don't promise the young man the job, create a true open competition. If Bo, Malik or the others win then that's the QB for 2019. I'm sure Gus knows he needs to win now so I doubt if he'll settle on a TRUE FRESHMAN QB to play a major part of his future.  Unless that TRUE FRESHMAN QB won a very good open competition.  I think the Jackson kid adds to the talent level in that position room.

3 minutes ago, HarrisBoy334 said:

You always bring in good talent to raise the competition in any position room. Just don't promise the young man the job, create a true open competition. If Bo, Malik or the others win then that's the QB for 2019. I'm sure Gus knows he needs to win now so I doubt if he'll settle on a TRUE FRESHMAN QB to play a major part of his future.  Unless that TRUE FRESHMAN QB won a very good open competition.  I think the Jackson kid adds to the talent level in that position room.

These grad transfers ain’t going anywhere and wasting their last year to compete. They must be assured they are going to win this “competition “ for the job. 

26 minutes ago, alexava said:

First off, half the people on this forum spell it “develope”.

Only a looser would spell it "develope". :)

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

I think when people say "develop a QB" they don't even fully know what that means. They just repeat what somebody else said 

But what if that person does know what it means?  My biggest problem with a one year quarterback is the time it takes for him to get comfortable in a new system, using new terminology, getting the timing down with receivers, coaches getting to know what are the strengths of the new qb and calling the right plays which fit those strengths.  

38 minutes ago, alexava said:

These grad transfers ain’t going anywhere and wasting their last year to compete. They must be assured they are going to win this “competition “ for the job. 

Sometimes just looking at what's there  let's them know their chances at winning the job. Does anyone at AU as of now scare u if u were a grad transfer?

5 minutes ago, HarrisBoy334 said:

Sometimes just looking at what's there  let's them know their chances at winning the job. Does anyone at AU as of now scare u if u were a grad transfer?

When has a grad transfer looked at what's here (outside of Stidham?) 

We are hard core AU fans and even we don't know enough about the current QBs on this roster.  So how the hell would a kid who's been at another program know what AU has and what their odds of winning the job would be?  

9 minutes ago, HarrisBoy334 said:

Probably not but I haven’t seen enough of them to judge. They would have to go on what the coaches tell them. I doubt any coach guarantees the job. But they guarantee the player he is good enough to win the job, which virtually guarantees the job. 

Watched Gus working with qb's...not impressed. Jalen Hurts is the only GT I would go for...and I would sell the farm for him...jmho

10 minutes ago, alexava said:

They would have to go on what the coaches tell them. I doubt any coach guarantees the job. But they guarantee the player he is good enough to win the job, which virtually guarantees the job. 

This is exactly what happened when we recruited JFIII, oh wait!!!!

Archived