program worth nearly 1 billion

logan adams

I’m on mobile so copy and paste of the article is too difficult. Anyway, we are top 10 in high worth of football programs. 

https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Study-Auburn-football-program-worth-nearly-1-billion-127459403/

The value of Auburn's football program jumped 20.4 percent year over year, according to a study released this week.

Ryan Brewer, an associate professor of finance at Indiana University-Purdue University Columbus, released his evaluations of the value college football programs across the country. Those numbers were released by the Wall Street Journal.

Auburn ranks eighth nationally and third in the SEC with a value of $871.9 million. Auburn's football program was worth $724.2 million in 2017, according to Brewer. In other words, that's how much Auburn's football program could be bought and sold for on the open market if it was a professional organization.

Brown found three college football programs are valued above $1 billion: Alabama, Ohio State and Texas. The Longhorns lead the way at $1,105,493,378. Ohio State had led the country in each of the last three seasons previous to 2018.

Here's more from The Wall Street Journal on Brewer's evaluations of the college football landscape:

Brewer’s study calculates what a college team would be worth on the open market if it could be bought and sold like a professional sports franchise. Brewer analyzes each program’s revenues and expenses along with cash-flow adjustments, risk assessments and growth projections.

Brewer’s analysis reveals adjusted revenues are up $5.6 billion from last year and cash flow jumped 2.7 percent.

SEC teams comprise half of the top 16 programs, including seven of the 12 most-valued programs.

14 minutes ago, AUwent said:

This type of stuff is so confusing. Texas A&M not even in the top 10?!

Less about donations and more about total value.  All of those teams consistently draw better ratings than the Aggies.  That's worth a ton in value.

5 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Auburn has comparable resources to be just as good as Clemson. Not as much space or lakes but the resources are definitely there

Clemson has one resource that is priceless, a truly elite HC. The best in the business today.

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Auburn has comparable resources to be just as good as Clemson. Not as much space or lakes but the resources are definitely there

Psssssssssh, we're Auburn! No half-decent coach would want to come here! /s

2 hours ago, keesler said:

Clemson has one resource that is priceless, a truly elite HC. The best in the business today.

Clemson accepted they were playing with house money and allowed their CEO type HC to build something. I dont know if Auburn will ever allow a HC to build something

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Clemson accepted they were playing with house money and allowed their CEO type HC to build something. I dont know if Auburn will ever allow a HC to build something

But what did he go outside the box and do? He just came in and took our recruiting area and made it his own. And he was consistent. He let coaches he hired do their jobs. They are everything we could've been. They just didn't do all the Jerry Springer/Maury pouch drama

10 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Less about donations and more about total value.  All of those teams consistently draw better ratings than the Aggies.  That's worth a ton in value.

A&M is #1 on that list and it's a huge gap to #2. Not sure why they were left off. They have crazy crazy money. 

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I am kind of surprised we are ahead of LSU and Tennessee.

Why? AU is heads and shoulders a better place than both of those schools. Why I get so pissed off here about all of the 8-5 season we have. No excuse for this to happen at all. We have the money to compete with anyone. 

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

They are #1 by a long shot. 

Even over Texas?  I know A&M is well-endowed, but it has been well known how much Texas has always had.  That's surprising to me.

Just now, abw0004 said:

Even over Texas?  I know A&M is well-endowed, but it has been well known how much Texas has always had.  That's surprising to me.

Yes. Trying to google it now. It's crazy how much money A&M has. 

4 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Why? AU is heads and shoulders a better place than both of those schools. Why I get so pissed off here about all of the 8-5 season we have. No excuse for this to happen at all. We have the money to compete with anyone. 

Good timing.  You quoted me and posted at the same time I quoted you and posted.  :laugh:  Otherwise I would have combined the posts to save space.  LSU is the only powerhouse in their state.  Nothing to compete for when donations come into play.  Tennessee has always had a winning past and had the largest stadium in the country for a while.  I just figured they had a lot of money coming in from the days in the 90's and 00's.

For me, I sort of see Auburn as a small market team in terms of a footprint.  A lot of people up north do not even know what state Auburn is in.  No joke.  If you look at the fan footprint in the state, Auburn is a small blip in the state.  Nothing wrong with being a small market team though.  OKC Thunder is the definition of a small market team and they are vying for 1st place in the league.  

Don't get me wrong, I am VERY proud to see Auburn in the top 10 for value.  Very proud.

6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The first thing Auburn has to do is recognize who the CEO type of HC is.  We have had a difficult time recognizing him as of late.

43 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The first thing Auburn has to do is recognize who the CEO type of HC is.  We have had a difficult time recognizing him as of late.

Our own HC has had a difficult time identifying himself as a CEO type HC or a Hands-On type HC.  Back 'n forth, flip flop, every other year he identifies with something different and puts himself in a different position relative to the operation and management of his team.

Edit to add:  Then we have all of the "behind the scenes" influences and big money Boosters and powerful BOT members interjecting themselves, threatening to withhold donations, some drawing a hard line to fire the HC or make him so damn miserable that he'll leave on his own, etc.  

Auburn can be as good as they want to be if they get out of there own way like Clemson. When Dabo struggled early on there were no clandestine airline trips, threats, alleged meeting with other coaches etc. Stop looking over your shoulder and just focus on getting better. I will say Dabo did not have a championship program in his own state he had to deal with. Alabama’s success has often impacted how Auburn makes decisions.

12 minutes ago, keesler said:

Our own HC has had a difficult time identifying himself as a CEO type HC or a Hands-On type HC.  Back 'n forth, flip flop, every other year he identifies with something different and puts himself in a different position relative to the operation and management of his team.

Edit to add:  Then we have all of the "behind the scenes" influences and big money Boosters and powerful BOT members interjecting themselves, threatening to withhold donations, some drawing a hard line to fire the HC or make him so damn miserable that he'll leave on his own, etc.  

To the first paragraph; this is how an inexperienced HC (or anybody that doesn’t have the needed experience) acts when given a position of importance.  It’s been the basis for hope that Gus “learns” how to be a good coach.  Gus has taken a long time to define his vision for Auburn Football.  This season is critical in his development, but he will never be a CEO type of HC, he doesn’t trust anybody he hires to do the job, too hands on and micromanaging. 

So, he’s a Hands-On type that will never change.  Not that it’s a bad thing, it’s just the way he is.  I don’t think he can adapt as quickly as a CEO type of HC can and that limits Auburn’s ceiling.

As to the edited part; Not being a CEO type of HC, in my thinking, is why the behind the scenes influences and big money Boosters interject themselves.  They are all CEO types and can see how the hands on approach has flaws and, eventually, will fail.

Then again, if we make a coaching change we are still stuck with hiring somebody by committee. Hence the “recognizing” the right person is so important.  I know who would be in charge of that and hope he can stand tall if called upon.

4 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Auburn can be as good as they want to be if they get out of there own way like Clemson. When Dabo struggled early on there were no clandestine airline trips, threats, alleged meeting with other coaches etc. Stop looking over your shoulder and just focus on getting better. I will say Dabo did not have a championship program in his own state he had to deal with. Alabama’s success has often impacted how Auburn makes decisions.

I think Alabama's success has impacted Auburn in a way that spurred them on to some of the best years in our football history.  We fans have experienced Championship level success in the last decade, which is something neither me or any living family member has ever had the opportunity to experience.  

Auburn will never get out of their own way, it's "Family" down to the core.

Archived