2020 5* DE Myles Murphy

ellitor

How much longer can this go on?  Clemson should not be in this position. Global warming and a severe world-wide backup of sewer systems is the cause of this non-sense.

image.jpeg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, he gone. Not much of a surprise. Frankly, especially as a DL player, why wouldn’t you go to Clemson right now? Other than that creepy Tiger.

Auburn is getting its ass whipped in recruiting. Clemson will take anyone they want pretty much 

Im holding out on us having a good season defensively ....sending 2-3 out in first round of draft ....at least 1 anyway.....and some of these guys backing off commitments and pulling a pickens but in reverse and coming back to Auburn....a man can dream

Last time we finished runner up for this long with this many top tier recruits was the Terry "No Plan B" Bowden recruiting era. Still, there's some possible benefit to finishing second with this many bluechippers - chances are SOMEBODY will back out of their commitment, in which case we're their most likely Plan B. In theory. 

Damn, the ‘cruitin’ board is a dreary place to visit nowadays. Oh well, it’s only May.....and we still have depth😃!

Weve gotten owned for so long in recruiting now when it matters, my give a damn up and left awhile back. Get used to it...things ain't changing till we get a legit coach. 

Just now, twilli13 said:

Weve gotten owned for so long in recruiting now when it matters, my give a damn up and left awhile back. Get used to it...things ain't changing till we get a legit coach. 

When you have ample playing time to sell and a clear path to early playing time (OL) and still cannot close the deal on at least a few of these studs? Yah we have a big recruiting problem. Great recruiting programs are able to load up and get guys to make nonsensical decisions like going somewhere where the boat is already full at their position in a class. We cannot even get guys to come when the boat is completely empty.

Murphy says he preferred later playing time at CU versus early playing time promised at AU.  Then we lose top recruits due to early playing time promised elsewhere.   Then we lose recruits due to our poor play.  Then we lose recruits to schools whose poor play shows that they need help.  And so on.....  see a pattern?

Bottom line, recruiters recruit.   Your play on the field can be good, bad, mediocre, and you can still recruit if you have a vision to sell.   Hoping for all the stars to align is a strategy to get your butt handed to you over and over while the big dogs take what they want.    Hell we were in 2 out of 4 NC games and never really took advantage of it.  What other performance metric do you need to hit?

I’m ready for this slow, grinding “Bus” wreck to end before we’re relegated to Moo St or USCe status in the conference.  AU needs a coach who can man-up on the trail and get the studs in-house so we can compete.    Gus ain’t cutting it anymore.   Unless you enjoy the occasional 3* diamonds in the rough story.  

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

When you have ample playing time to sell and a clear path to early playing time (OL) and still cannot close the deal on at least a few of these studs? Yah we have a big recruiting problem. Great recruiting programs are able to load up and get guys to make nonsensical decisions like going somewhere where the boat is already full at their position in a class. We cannot even get guys to come when the boat is completely empty.

Amen brother. It's sad. Dell McGee and Sam Pittman are absolutely dominating recruiting. Maybe in a few more years, Cadillac can get to where McGee is, but that's a big if. McGee is a stud recruiter. We wont even compare the online recruiting. It's insane we cant get some top guys at this point. Here's the difference. Gus makes too many beta hires and has a beta culture...hires  'nice guys' like him. Kirby hires guys like him who are hungry and who wont take no for an answer. I've thought for a while maybe they were paying players. But in retrospect, I think it's just a cultural thing. Gus sells come to Auburn and be part of the kumbaya family and let's have a nice happy, sing a long time at bbqs together. Kirby relentlessly goes after the alpha recruits with an alpha approach, saying come to Uga if you are driven like I am and together we will whip everyone's ass and get you to the NFL. 

12 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Amen brother. It's sad. Dell McGee and Sam Pittman are absolutely dominating recruiting. Maybe in a few more years, Cadillac can get to where McGee is, but that's a big if. McGee is a stud recruiter. We wont even compare the online recruiting. It's insane we cant get some top guys at this point. Here's the difference. Gus makes too many beta hires and has a beta culture...hires  'nice guys' like him. Kirby hires guys like him who are hungry and who wont take no for an answer. I've thought for a while maybe they were paying players. But in retrospect, I think it's just a cultural thing. Gus sells come to Auburn and be part of the kumbaya family and let's have a nice happy, sing a long time at bbqs together. Kirby relentlessly goes after the alpha recruits with an alpha approach, saying come to Uga if you are driven like I am and together we will whip everyone's ass and get you to the NFL. 

Exactly.  And if you buy into that it’s harder to recruit to auburn anyway because it’s not a “flagship” school, then all the more reason taking the warm, fuzzy approach is going to get trounced.    You’ve gotta have a bad-A at the helm to keep up. 

1 hour ago, 1auburn1 said:

Exactly.  And if you buy into that it’s harder to recruit to auburn anyway because it’s not a “flagship” school, then all the more reason taking the warm, fuzzy approach is going to get trounced.    You’ve gotta have a bad-A at the helm to keep up. 

Dont get me wrong. Clemson uses the family thing too, but I think they add in the alpha winning thing too with Dabo. Hes a type a extroverted type guy. He sells family too, but also has the take no prisoners approach to recruiting. He sells recruits on we are going to win a s*** load of games and then have fun after we win. Gus sells we are going to have bbqs, ping pong games, and yeah, we might try and win a few while we are at it.

Until we can win big the year, maybe 2 straight years, after one of our "special" seasons; we are never going to get over the proverbial hump in recruiting.  We seem to blow an engine while in the lead on the last lap at Talledega.

11 hours ago, 1auburn1 said:

Murphy says he preferred later playing time at CU versus early playing time promised at AU.  Then we lose top recruits due to early playing time promised elsewhere.   Then we lose recruits due to our poor play.  Then we lose recruits to schools whose poor play shows that they need help.  And so on.....  see a pattern?

Bottom line, recruiters recruit.   Your play on the field can be good, bad, mediocre, and you can still recruit if you have a vision to sell.   Hoping for all the stars to align is a strategy to get your butt handed to you over and over while the big dogs take what they want.    Hell we were in 2 out of 4 NC games and never really took advantage of it.  What other performance metric do you need to hit?

I’m ready for this slow, grinding “Bus” wreck to end before we’re relegated to Moo St or USCe status in the conference.  AU needs a coach who can man-up on the trail and get the studs in-house so we can compete.    Gus ain’t cutting it anymore.   Unless you enjoy the occasional 3* diamonds in the rough story.  

Murphy is a great kid who didn’t want to say anything negative about CRG. That is what that playing time comment was about. 

35 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Until we can win big the year, maybe 2 straight years, after one of our "special" seasons; we are never going to get over the proverbial hump in recruiting.  We seem to blow an engine while in the lead on the last lap at Talledega.

These up and then way down disaster seasons have taken a toll. 

You’re going to have up and down seasons over and over until you can get on top of the recruiting game.    That’s happens to the majority of schools.   Don’t have the horses to sustain injuries and graduation and you end up with a poor season.   Clemson didn’t start winning big and then started recruiting.   They were a middling ACC school and were signing A-list QBs and other blue-chippers. Oh, and developing them.   Now they’re in the reload position.  

6 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Dont get me wrong. Clemson uses the family thing too, but I think they add in the alpha winning thing too with Dabo. Hes a type a extroverted type guy. He sells family too, but also has the take no prisoners approach to recruiting. He sells recruits on we are going to win a s*** load of games and then have fun after we win. Gus sells we are going to have bbqs, ping pong games, and yeah, we might try and win a few while we are at it.

And that is why Clemson is going to become/keep being a juggernaut on the trail like Florida and Ohio State when Urbs was there and like Bama has throughout the Saban years. Clemson gets the best of both worlds. He gets to sell the Family aspect AND also appeal to a totally different type of recruit which is point to elite winning and elite play on the field plus numerous first round picks over the past several years. NOT TO MENTION they are unquestionably the new age WR U when it comes to the guys they have put in the NFL under Dabos tenure. And judging from last years title game that is not going to stop anytime soon with them being WR U.

5 hours ago, AUBwins said:

THIS SOOOOOOO MUCH. The last 3 times we won a SEC title (all under 3 different head coaches which tells the real story here) we never took full advantage of it and the great recruiting boost we SHOULD of got out of it. When I look back at Gus tenure I think the main thing you can point to on why we never really got on a roll is just as simple as Dabo and Chad Morris beat us for Deshaun Watson. They took that next step from where Tahj Boyd got them to just knocking on the door with multiple 10 win seasons to with Deshaun Watson where they broke down the damn door and went to 2 straight natty games and won 1 of them.

58 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

THIS SOOOOOOO MUCH. The last 3 times we won a SEC title (all under 3 different head coaches which tells the real story here) we never took full advantage of it and the great recruiting boost we SHOULD of got out of it. When I look back at Gus tenure I think the main thing you can point to on why we never really got on a roll is just as simple as Dabo and Chad Morris beat us for Deshaun Watson. They took that next step from where Tahj Boyd got them to just knocking on the door with multiple 10 win seasons to with Deshaun Watson where they broke down the damn door and went to 2 straight natty games and won 1 of them.

Yep, we should have had that opportunity this year with what should have been a 10+win season with Nix (or much improved Joey) leading us this year to a promising year. 

12 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Archived