Joey Gatewood

twilli13

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Anyone hearing anything on Gatewood or any of the qbs? How did they do in the scrimmage?

I don't know about Gatewood but Bo did throw a TD pass., that's all I have read. This is the quietest I seen this board for spring practice that I can remember.

WDE

11 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Anyone hearing anything on Gatewood or any of the qbs? How did they do in the scrimmage?

From everything I’ve read Gatewood and Nix are battling for tbe starting position, and pretty much have separated themselves from being third or fourth string. 

Gatewood’s passing offense is maturing but is it maturing enough to beat out Nix is tbe question. Auburn has had success with two other QBs that had tbe legs but a raw passing game. The delineation between those QBs and someone like JF3 is can the passing game get up to snuff and tbat’s the million dollar question. The early reports on Gatewood are very promising.

From everything I’ve read about Nix, coaches believe he’s playing better than any TF QB they’ve ever seen at Auburn. The question for me there is how does that translate to the pecking order. Does a TF playing light years ahead of his time at Auburn mean he’s a TF playing above schedule but still not quite ready, or is he playing beyond that and worthy of a starting job now regardless of other player progression..

Obviously I hope Gatewood starts and in a perfect world, we include Nix in the offense in tbe same way that we included Jeremy Johnson when he was only a TF in 2013. 

1 hour ago, Slammer1 said:

I don't know about Gatewood but Bo did throw a TD pass., that's all I have read. This is the quietest I seen this board for spring practice that I can remember.

WDE

This is exactly what Gus needs while he gets this team sorted out and evaluates his QBs.  Honestly, Gus owe's Bruce a solid for taking the spotlight off of football. 

25 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

From everything I’ve read Gatewood and Nix are battling for tbe starting position, and pretty much have separated themselves from being third or fourth string. 

Gatewood’s passing offense is maturing but is it maturing enough to beat out Nix is tbe question. Auburn has had success with two other QBs that had tbe legs but a raw passing game. The delineation between those QBs and someone like JF3 is can the passing game get up to snuff and tbat’s the million dollar question. The early reports on Gatewood are very promising.

From everything I’ve read about Nix, coaches believe he’s playing better than any TF QB they’ve ever seen at Auburn. The question for me there is how does that translate to the pecking order. Does a TF playing light years ahead of his time at Auburn mean he’s a TF playing above schedule but still not quite ready, or is he playing beyond that and worthy of a starting job now regardless of other player progression..

Obviously I hope Gatewood starts and in a perfect world, we include Nix in the offense in tbe same way that we included Jeremy Johnson when he was only a TF in 2013. 

From what I read on here Gatewood seems to be the crowd favorite and I do want the best guy to be our starting QB and as  I have mentioned before if a TF can handle the job and is the  best choice then so be it.. See Trevor Lawrence.. Good luck to both of them.

WDE

18 minutes ago, Slammer1 said:

From what I read on here Gatewood seems to be the crowd favorite and I do want the best guy to be our starting QB and as  I have mentioned before if a TF can handle the job and is the  best choice then so be it.. See Trevor Lawrence.. Good luck to both of them.

WDE

Gatewood hasn’t always been a crowd favorite. During this past Christmas, several were telling me he wasn’t cut out to be a QB. People are warming up to him though.  

18 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Gatewood hasn’t always been a crowd favorite. During this past Christmas, several were telling me he wasn’t cut out to be a QB. People are warming up to him though.  

And we are still accepting applications to the fan club. 

4 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

And we are still accepting applications to the fan club. 

😂 Let’s do it.

To the exclusive founding members group: you, Cole, AuburninEugene, and a couple more, thank you for your service!!

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:
1 hour ago, Slammer1 said:

WDE

I was one of the doubters early on.  ...had him transferring even...

For some reason the HS highlights I saw earlier in the year didn't impress me.  I had a conversation with @ellitor about that....his running seemed tentative at contact, much like JJ.

However, I stumbled upon more highlights later in the season and they were so much more impressive than what I saw previously.  Not comparing him to Cam but much more Cam-like.

His poise in the bowl game (though in mop up duty) was a very pleasant surprise compared to the reports that came out through the season making him out as a bit in the doghouse.  Maybe they were right, or not, but I'm guessing the "de-recruitment" went well and it sounds today like he's even possibly showing signs of leadership. 

If he truly has a leadership mentality then he is coachable.  If he's coachable his passing will come along.  Add that to his running ability and he certainly will resemble Dak Prescott,  if not Cam.

No knock on Bo but I'm still of the opinion that a Gus-run offense is much more suited to a QB who can run like a RB (as well as pass).  That's why I'm team Gatewood. 

War Eagle! 

I really hope we dont go into the season still trying to figure who to start at QB. I remember the frustrating loss to Clemson a few years ago, feeling like we could have won if we didnt keep swapping QB's every other drive.

24 minutes ago, SaturdayGT said:

I really hope we dont go into the season still trying to figure who to start at QB. I remember the frustrating loss to Clemson a few years ago, feeling like we could have won if we didnt keep swapping QB's every other drive.

To be fair, we literally didn't have a QB that season. We had a party problem, a track star, a basketball player and an arm in a sling. It was the Breakfast Club of insufficient quarterbacking options. Gus made exactly one good decision the offseason prior, which was trying to get Davis Webb. 

The story on Joey was always that he had the physical tools but everything else was unknown. Consistency throwing the ball, decision making, leadership... the resume just wasn't there. Early on, it was thought that he had that "it" factor that you like to see in any team leader- that charisma that draws in the guys around him- but then there were reports of maturity issues over the summer and into fall camp last year. So that became an unknown, too. And it's not like he was going to pull a redemption story midseason when Stidham never went down. Not as QB <2. 

I think *almost everyone has been "Team Joey" in that we have all been hoping that we have a guy who is a physical freak and who also possesses the mental acuity to play the position. The evidence hasn't been there for the latter but he seems to be trending to the good and I'm pretty *almost everyone will be perfectly happy if he wins the job. 

*The **exceptions are Team Bo, who would follow recruiting hype right off a cliff, and Team Malik, who assume that he's the guy just because of his meager, mediocre experience. 

**There is no Team Cord. Trust me. I've been looking. 

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The story on Joey was always that he had the physical tools but everything else was unknown. Consistency throwing the ball, decision making, leadership... the resume just wasn't there. Early on, it was thought that he had that "it" factor that you like to see in any team leader- that charisma that draws in the guys around him- but then there were reports of maturity issues over the summer and into fall camp last year. So that became an unknown, too. And it's not like he was going to pull a redemption story midseason when Stidham never went down. Not as QB <2. 

I think *almost everyone has been "Team Joey" in that we have all been hoping that we have a guy who is a physical freak and who also possesses the mental acuity to play the position. The evidence hasn't been there for the latter but he seems to be trending to the good and I'm pretty *almost everyone will be perfectly happy if he wins the job. 

*The **exceptions are Team Bo, who would follow recruiting hype right off a cliff, and Team Malik, who assume that he's the guy just because of his meager, mediocre experience. 

**There is no Team Cord. Trust me. I've been looking. 

You are the team Cord bro lol don’t fight it . 

1 hour ago, AuMarine said:

I just want the QB race to be settled by the end of spring. I want the best man to win. 

I wouldn’t bet on it 

I supervised a kid that went to school with Joey. He said that Joey was incredibly talented, but lacked a lot of maturity. I think that was the general consensus among the crowd that didn't think he'd pan out. It seems that he is maturing and developing, which is great news for us. If we have to choose between two good quarterbacks, then we have a good problem. 

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I was one of the doubters early on.  ...had him transferring even...

For some reason the HS highlights I saw earlier in the year didn't impress me.  I had a conversation with @ellitor about that....his running seemed tentative at contact, much like JJ.

However, I stumbled upon more highlights later in the season and they were so much more impressive than what I saw previously.  Not comparing him to Cam but much more Cam-like.

His poise in the bowl game (though in mop up duty) was a very pleasant surprise compared to the reports that came out through the season making him out as a bit in the doghouse.  Maybe they were right, or not, but I'm guessing the "de-recruitment" went well and it sounds today like he's even possibly showing signs of leadership. 

If he truly has a leadership mentality then he is coachable.  If he's coachable his passing will come along.  Add that to his running ability and he certainly will resemble Dak Prescott,  if not Cam.

No knock on Bo but I'm still of the opinion that a Gus-run offense is much more suited to a QB who can run like a RB (as well as pass).  That's why I'm team Gatewood. 

War Eagle! 

Nicely stated and well thought out opinion!  Thanks!

2 hours ago, AuMarine said:

I just want the QB race to be settled by the end of spring. I want the best man to win. 

Likely won't be done, at least publicly, till around 2 or so weeks before the 1st game.

Just now, ellitor said:

Likely won't be done, at least publicly, till around 2 or so weeks before the 1st game.

I do not want to start the season with the uncertainty of not knowing who our starter is and the possibility of that Clemson game all over again. Makes my head hurt. 

Let the best man start.. PLEASE... 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I think *almost everyone has been "Team Joey" in that we have all been hoping that we have a guy who is a physical freak and who also possesses the mental acuity to play the position

“Team Joey” does not equal “hopeful but not getting my hopes up.”

Personally I hope we don't find out until the game starts. I would love for them to have a clear cut starter at the end of Spring training but not tell anyone who it is. the le the other teams know about who is starting the better. As long as the team knows I'm fine. We will need some advantages this is one place we can have one.   

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:
2 hours ago, DAG said:

You are the team Cord bro lol don’t fight it . 

One man wolfpack!

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Gatewood has to be ahead in the zone read. I've yet to see Nix's dual threat. In the  4 games I saw last year great arm but running not gonna happen in SEC.

Archived