Joey Gatewood

twilli13

7 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Gatewood hasn’t always been a crowd favorite. During this past Christmas, several were telling me he wasn’t cut out to be a QB. People are warming up to him though.  

I have been pro Gatewood since he signed with us. He is coming into his own and should be a good QB for us. I see a QB much like MSU's Nick Fitzgerald but could be a better passer and faster.  I see Joey as being the type of bruising QB who can take off and run over a bucket full of DBs & LBs before being brought down. I cannot wait to see the spring game on the SEC network. I would hope it would be a live showing of this. Does anyone have this information?

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, AidiAU said:

And we are still accepting applications to the fan club. 

membership is free at the moment....however, as Joey gets better, there will soon be a membership fee!

9 hours ago, keesler said:

This is exactly what Gus needs while he gets this team sorted out and evaluates his QBs.  Honestly, Gus owe's Bruce a solid for taking the spotlight off of football. 

Remind me, what is football again?  It sounds vaguely familiar.....

A BIG War Eagle to Bruce and the Men’s basketball team!!!  

I haven’t been this giddy since the second quarter of the 2013/14 BCSNC Game! (Honestly, probably since we won the BCSNC in 2010/11)

I see references of Gatewood being compared to Jeremy Johnson. Joey is faster, a better passer, and does not mind running over defenders if needed. JJ was very gun shy and an overall slower runner than Joey. Joey is an all around more athletic QB than JJ. I do not think there really is much comparison between the 2 of them. JJ could not stomach being hit. However, Joey seems to relish running over defenders of which is what is needed  

4 hours ago, bg5 said:

Personally I hope we don't find out until the game starts. I would love for them to have a clear cut starter at the end of Spring training but not tell anyone who it is. the le the other teams know about who is starting the better. As long as the team knows I'm fine. We will need some advantages this is one place we can have one.   

Thats a respectable strategy when you have two proven QBs with different skill sets. But we have 2 Freshman, one with about 10 college snaps on film, the other with none. They are both rookies, so the Oregon plan will be to throw max pressure on whichever it is. 

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

To be fair, we literally didn't have a QB that season. We had a party problem, a track star, a basketball player and an arm in a sling. It was the Breakfast Club of insufficient quarterbacking options. Gus made exactly one good decision the offseason prior, which was trying to get Davis Webb. 

Wasn’t that a PJ song? Hmmm...shoulda been.

It’s obviously sac religious to compare him to Cam Newton, but the size and running ability is there with Gatewood for Gus to run more of the 2010 offense. Add Schwartz as the first guy we’ve had that truly can replace the McCalleb role and the ability to stretch defenses horizontally while eating them inside is absolutely there. 

Watch Gaetwood’s Hs highlights too. He was a good kick returner, wide receiver, and played running back too. I only say that to say that the kid is some QB like Jeremy Johnson that is scared to take a hit. He has no fear running between the tackles. 

Id love to see him start. Hoping the light has come on in the passing game though

15 hours ago, wde1968 said:

Gatewood has to be ahead in the zone read. I've yet to see Nix's dual threat. In the  4 games I saw last year great arm but running not gonna happen in SEC.

lol even LSU's QB had success running the ball. Running wouldn't be Nix's problem if he had to do it

24 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

It’s obviously sac religious to compare him to Cam Newton, but the size and running ability is there with Gatewood for Gus to run more of the 2010 offense. Add Schwartz as the first guy we’ve had that truly can replace the McCalleb role and the ability to stretch defenses horizontally while eating them inside is absolutely there. 

Watch Gaetwood’s Hs highlights too. He was a good kick returner, wide receiver, and played running back too. I only say that to say that the kid is some QB like Jeremy Johnson that is scared to take a hit. He has no fear running between the tackles. 

Id love to see him start. Hoping the light has come on in the passing game though

1. Gatewood is giving up 20 lbs to Cam, so I wouldn't say the size is there.
2. Schwartz as a running back? Huh? Try Shivers. Stove might be front of the line for that role, though.
3. Yes, Schwartz can stretch the field vertically, though, because he's a WR. Hopefully we have a QB who can take advantage. 
4. I think it's a little disrespectful and off-target to say JJ was scared to take a hit. He was never supposed to be the running QB that many around here assumed he was. (Hmm, wonder why they assumed that.) He was more in the Jason Campbell mode and was probably drilled to not take hits. Funny, Sean White was called an idiot for not being "scared to take a hit". Auburn fans are funny.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

1. Gatewood is giving up 20 lbs to Cam, so I wouldn't say the size is there.
2. Schwartz as a running back? Huh? Try Shivers. Stove might be front of the line for that role, though.
3. Yes, Schwartz can stretch the field vertically, though, because he's a WR. Hopefully we have a QB who can take advantage. 
4. I think it's a little disrespectful and off-target to say JJ was scared to take a hit. He was never supposed to be the running QB that many around here assumed he was. (Hmm, wonder why they assumed that.) He was more in the Jason Campbell mode and was probably drilled to not take hits. Funny, Sean White was called an idiot for not being "scared to take a hit". Auburn fans are funny.

1. Cam weighed around 250# and Gatewood is around 237#-so not that much difference 

2. The poster was obviously comparing Swartz and Mccalleb ability to run jet sweeps, but you may be right that Stove will get that role

3. There were tons of posts about JJ being scared to take hits at that time and that’s what the poster was probably referring to 

4. White didn’t have the size to take hits and that probably resulted in his injuries 

39 minutes ago, toddc said:

1. Cam weighed around 250# and Gatewood is around 237#-so not that much difference 

2. The poster was obviously comparing Swartz and Mccalleb ability to run jet sweeps, but you may be right that Stove will get that role

3. There were tons of posts about JJ being scared to take hits at that time and that’s what the poster was probably referring to 

4. White didn’t have the size to take hits and that probably resulted in his injuries 

Cam was around 240 when he played for Auburn......JJ did not have the running ability that Gatewood has that limited his role in the zone read offense....We need balance between passing and running to make the zone read all the more effective.

17 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I have been pro Gatewood since he signed with us. He is coming into his own and should be a good QB for us. I see a QB much like MSU's Nick Fitzgerald but could be a better passer and faster.  I see Joey as being the type of bruising QB who can take off and run over a bucket full of DBs & LBs before being brought down. I cannot wait to see the spring game on the SEC network. I would hope it would be a live showing of this. Does anyone have this information?

I think this is a great comparison. Might be faster but I wouldn't go as far as to say a better passer. Not yet. This QB race is far from over but is a two man race now. 

32 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I think this is a great comparison. Might be faster but I wouldn't go as far as to say a better passer. Not yet. This QB race is far from over but is a two man race now. 

Sucks for Bo, but Cord must be really good to be giving Gatewood a run.

22 hours ago, ellitor said:

Likely won't be done, at least publicly, till around 2 or so weeks before the 1st game.

I'm shocked. :P

If Gatewood can't pass, it's going to be a long season if he's our starter. If he can bring an option back to the offense and make the throws to keep defenses from attacking the exchange point without fear, he can be special. I'm interested to see how it plays out, but I would be very surprised if we have any success with a QB who can't throw. 

8 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

If Gatewood can't pass, it's going to be a long season if he's our starter. If he can bring an option back to the offense and make the throws to keep defenses from attacking the exchange point without fear, he can be special. I'm interested to see how it plays out, but I would be very surprised if we have any success with a QB who can't throw. 

If Gus can successfully run the zone read then passing may not be as big a deal as you’d think.  I point to 2010 and 2013.  There were a couple games were Cam had 10 completions for like 100-150 but ran for 200 yards.  I’d have to research but I think Nick had similar games in 13.  Auburn has a boatload of RBs and Fast WRs to keep the edges honest on the sweeps etc.  I agree passing can’t be a liability but as long as the Qb can fake the end round and throw it deep and hit a bubble screen then the passing offense should be fine.(sarcasm)(kinda)

4 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

If Gus can successfully run the zone read then passing may not be as big a deal as you’d think.  I point to 2010 and 2013.  There were a couple games were Cam had 10 completions for like 100-150 but ran for 200 yards.  I’d have to research but I think Nick had similar games in 13.  Auburn has a boatload of RBs and Fast WRs to keep the edges honest on the sweeps etc.  I agree passing can’t be a liability but as long as the Qb can fake the end round and throw it deep and hit a bubble screen then the passing offense should be fine.(sarcasm)(kinda)

The ZR can't be a primary offense anymore.  It can be used periodically to keep defenses off balance, but it can't be the staple of the offense. It has been figured out.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The ZR can't be a primary offense anymore.  It can be used periodically to keep defenses off balance, but it can't be the staple of the offense. It has been figured out.

Seems lot of NFL teams use it that way, some with a lot of success?

5 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Cam threw for nearly 3000 yards in the air. That's more than Stidham last season. Marshall was less, but still had 14 TDs in the air. In 2014, it seemed defenses had less respect for Marshall as a passer and crashed the line, attacking the exchange point. Against better defenses, I don't see being a one-dimensional read option team as a winning strategy, but we will see. In either case, I hope Gatewood can make some throws beyond screens if he gets the job. 

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Agree about the ZR. 

We need a QB who can throw and get the ball to the receivers.  We have so many weapons with the WRs.

Now,  if we would only utilize those weapons and get them the ball...... 

13 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

Agree about the ZR. 

We need a QB who can throw and get the ball to the receivers.  We have so many weapons with the WRs.

Now,  if we would only utilize those weapons and get them the ball...... 

Maybe even find some ways to enable them to get open. 

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Maybe even find some ways to enable them to get open. 

Extending the play is one way. 

6 hours ago, toddc said:

1. I'm glad to know that you'll be backing me up the next time that somebody says a 190 lb RB "should be fine after he gets into our S&C program and puts on 13 lbs"! It's been tough arguing against the size queens alone all these years.

2. Yeah, I know what the poster meant, and the fact is it's odd that he wants to move one of our most accomplished returning pass catchers to a running back's "role", especially when we have a running back who is just as fast as well as another returning veteran WR who is very accomplished in the same role. Now that we're talking about it, it's even more bizarre that he's forgetting about Cory Grant. 

3. Those prior posts about JJ were equally disrespectful. Like when he caught heat for looking over his shoulder on that long run against LSU. People just hated the dude because he was a bad quarterback and started finding reasons to pile on. And the dude wasn't referring to those posts. He straight up said JJ was scared to take a hit. Let him stand behind those comments.

4. Carl Lawson spent a lot of time on IR. So did Bo Jackson, Tre Williams, Tray Matthews... Too small?

Edit: Sean White's 247 recruiting profile listed him at 200. Wikipedia has him listed at 211. Aaron Murray's 247 NFL profile lists him at 210. He had 87 "rushing attempts" (sacks and scrambles included) in both his freshman and sophomore seasons. They were the same size, but I don't recall folks saying that Murray was too small to take hits. Especially since he was a 4 year starter and even after Nick Fairley stole his poor little true freshman soul. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

1. I'm glad to know that you'll be backing me up the next time that somebody says a 190 lb RB "should be fine after he gets into our S&C program and puts on 13 lbs"! It's been tough arguing against the size queens alone all these years.

2. Yeah, I know what the poster meant, and the fact is it's odd that he wants to move one of our most accomplished returning pass catchers to a running back's "role", especially when we have a running back who is just as fast as well as another returning veteran WR who is very accomplished in the same role. Now that we're talking about it, it's even more bizarre that he's forgetting about Cory Grant. 

3. Those prior posts about JJ were equally disrespectful. Like when he caught heat for looking over his shoulder on that long run against LSU. People just hated the dude because he was a bad quarterback and started finding reasons to pile on. And the dude wasn't referring to those posts. He straight up said JJ was scared to take a hit. Let him stand behind those comments.

4. Carl Lawson spent a lot of time on IR. So did Bo Jackson, Tre Williams, Tray Matthews... Too small?

Edit: Sean White's 247 recruiting profile listed him at 200. Wikipedia has him listed at 211. Aaron Murray's 247 NFL profile lists him at 210. He had 87 "rushing attempts" (sacks and scrambles included) in both his freshman and sophomore seasons. They were the same size, but I don't recall folks saying that Murray was too small to take hits. Especially since he was a 4 year starter and even after Nick Fairley stole his poor little true freshman soul. 

Should have said SW was too fragile! Totally agree on JJ when he got a bad rap for being/running scared, I thought it was too much then and now.

As long as it is one of Bo or Joey G I will be very pleased. I was so worried Gus was going to start Malik by default because of "experience". SO this is promising. 

Archived