2019 Grad Transfer WR Zach Farrar Commits to AU!

GwillMac6

• ellitor changed the title to 2019 Grad Transfer WR Zach Farrar Commits to AU!
  • ellitor featured and pinned this topic

6 ft 4?! 💃

• Love 1

Auburn hit the grad transfer market and came back with a wide receiver.

Former Youngstown State receiver Zach Farrar committed to Auburn on Saturday following a visit to the Plains this weekend. Farrar announced his decision to commit to the Tigers on Twitter on Saturday afternoon.

Farrar spent last season at Youngstown State, where he caught 20 passes for 307 yards and a touchdown while playing in just six games, with five starts. The 6-foot-4, 205-pounder was a former three-star prospect out of Southlake, Texas, before signing with Oklahoma out of high school.

Farrar did not see the field with the Sooners, redshirting during the 2016 season before transferring out of Norman, Okla. Upon leaving Oklahoma, Farrar spent the 2017 season at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, where he 11 passes for 266 yards and four touchdowns, averaging 24.2 yards per reception.

Farrar will have two years of eligibility remaining at Auburn, becoming the second straight grad transfer to join the Tigers with multiple years of eligibility remaining; former UMass grad transfer Jack Driscoll joined Auburn last season, started all 13 games at right tackle and will man that spot again this fall.

The addition of the 6-foot-4 Farrar gives Auburn another potential option at its split end wide receiver spot as the Tigers try to replace Darius Slayton, which would allow star sophomore Seth Williams to play more inside at the big slot.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't want to be that guy

someone has to be that guy

Edited by auskip07
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

What are we doing? Our recruiting is trash right now. Don't we have stud wr's interested in this class? We are going to scare them off. Over sign d linemen, o lineman then linebackers not wr's.....we're going to end up trying to make a safety an o lineman and the Gus fantastic five are going to try to make it a good move

Edited by cole256
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, cole256 said:

What are we doing? Our recruiting is trash right now. Don't we have stud wr's interested in this class? We are going to scare them off. Over sign d linemen, o lineman then linebackers not wr's.....we're going to end up trying to make a safety an o lineman and the Gus fantastic five are going to try to make it a good move

From what I heard we were looking for a big and tall WR to replace Slayton so Seth Williams would move back inside. The guy is 6’4”.  

23 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't want to be that guy but out of all positions wr seems like the spot where we have our most depth.....why? And why so many schools? 

After Slayton went pro Gus made up his mind immediately to bring in someone that would handle the big physical receiver roll even if that wasn’t Slayton’s true role. Gus is bound and determined to have another Duke Williams in terms of what can be brought on the field. That’s why he’s been looking so hard at grad transfer wide receivers.  He feels we don’t have anyone on roster who can do that role in the immediate season. 

As for the why so many schools question I don’t understand what you were asking.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

19 minutes ago, cole256 said:

What are we doing? Our recruiting is trash right now. Don't we have stud wr's interested in this class? We are going to scare them off.

This guy ain’t going to scare anyone off. He hopes to be one and done. If he does he won’t affect the current WR recruits at all. If he’s here two years he only affects them minimally.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

From what I heard we were looking for a big and tall WR to replace Slayton so Seth Williams would move back inside. The guy is 6’4”.  

Seth Williams never made a true move outside. The staff tried him for a bit outside in the spring and liked him much better inside.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Seth Williams never made a true move outside. The staff tried him for a bit outside in the spring and liked him much better inside.

Good to see you back posting in the recruiting section!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, cole256 said:

We're a power run, play-action team...

• Haha 5
  • Sad 2

22 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

We shouldn't have to take a GT WR after 6 years of Gus recruiting his own players. If we needed a big WR he should have been recruiting kids with size the entire time. Remember the comment about not wanting to use Kam Martin against the Clemson D his freshman year because of his lack of size? Recruit size out of HS instead of these smaller kids if you are going to do this. SMDH on this one. 

WAR EAGLE!!!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ellitor said:

After Slayton went pro Gus made up his mind immediately to bring in someone that would handle the big physical receiver roll even if that wasn’t Slayton’s true role. Gus is bound and determined to have another Duke Williams in terms of what can be brought on the field. That’s why he’s been looking so hard at grad transfer wide receivers.  He feels we don’t have anyone on roster who can do that role in the immediate season. 

As for the why so many schools question I don’t understand what you were asking.

Why did he only play in 6 games? Injured?

• Like 1

I understand the stated reasoning of wanting a replacement for Slayton, but I don't particularly like it. Why not put Matthew Hill in that spot if we want Seth Williams in the big slot role? We have an abundance of talent at wide receiver, three tight ends who all fit the mold of a big, physical receiving threat, and now we have one less initial counter opening to bring in a grad transfer at a different position. 

That said, since it's a done deal, I hope the young man has the season of his life and gets the chance to play in the NFL. I wonder how his jumping skills are for high pointing the ball? I really don't know what to expect out of a former 3 star (who played at a high school football powerhouse, so it's not like he just slipped through the cracks) that hasn't exactly put up all world numbers since leaving Norman, but he does at least have the size to give me hope that he can contribute.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, ellitor said:

This guy ain’t going to scare anyone off. He hopes to be one and done. If he does he won’t affect the current WR recruits at all. If he’s here two years he only affects them minimally.

We have all these wr's and they're all supposed to be good, sooner or later some wr's in high school are going to say they have too many guys I'm not going to see the field here until I'm a redshirt junior, I'm going to go to this school where I can play as a redshirt freshman.

Do you think this guy is good? 

50 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Good to see you back posting in the recruiting section!

Thanks man I know everybody has been missing my guidance

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Auburn will be his fourth college in four years. It certainly seems like he transferred from Oklahoma because he realized he wasn't going to get any spotlight there, went to JUCO, then apparently didn't have any suitors in the FBS ranks so he went to an FCS school hoping a big school would get interested. To be completely honest, this seems like a kinda desperate move by Malzahn.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Since we have landed to WR that Gus seemed to be raving about, can we please now, get our head outta of our butt and recruit other positions with much more need? 

Geez...….….

• Haha 2

I just can't understand our recruiting....really overall logic. We want physical wr's that are fast and blocking monsters then we recruit little guys. We move qb's to skill positions....I don't know man...do we not know how the team is going to react if they just hand a starting position out to a transfer??

• Like 3

Welcome to the family Zack!!. Wish I could be more excited about your commitment. I'm not sure there are enough pass play snaps in  our 2019 arsenal to keep our current WRs happy.  Like many of our fans I was hoping to pick up a 6'-6" 320 lb 4* grad transfer OT with two years left to play. Too much to ask for I reckon. Now the question is will we go after a DT or DB or maybe even a QB next.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, autan said:

Now the question is will we go after a DT or DB or maybe even a QB next.

Auburn does need a DB after true freshman Cam'Ron Kelly transferred to UNC.