2019 Grad Transfer WR Zach Farrar Commits to AU!

GwillMac6

What about this guys resume would lead anybody to believe he's going to play one year then head to the NFL?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

What about this guys resume would lead anybody to believe he's going to play one year then head to the NFL?

Good question. I’m hopeful he can just chip in 25 catches, 2 TDs, and quality perimeter blocking. 

On 5/18/2019 at 6:04 PM, SlocombTiger said:

We shouldn't have to take a GT WR after 6 years of Gus recruiting his own players. If we needed a big WR he should have been recruiting kids with size the entire time. Remember the comment about not wanting to use Kam Martin against the Clemson D his freshman year because of his lack of size? Recruit size out of HS instead of these smaller kids if you are going to do this. SMDH on this one. 

WAR EAGLE!!!

We did, they just all left (Kyle Davis, Nate-Craig)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree w Cole in a way, but i took a baseball view. Did he even say NFL was his goal? Maybe he just wants to enjoy being a WR in college football as he is trying to up his MLB draft status.

I actually hope that is his plan...that would be an amazing college experience.

10 hours ago, auburnphan said:

I wish we would stop pigeon holing our offensive talent.  That is how you come up with decisions like this and have unprepared athletes for the nfl.

Yep I wonder what RD's draft status would be if he played for say... Oklahoma.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Hollywood brown 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Glad to have this kid . Glad he joined . Can he gain 100 pounds to play guard ?? J/k 

Bo and Gatewood I’m sure are excited about this target . 

To be fair, we dont need ANY more bodies at OG. While it seems to some we have abandoned OL recruiting in recent classes, we havent. We have missed on basically all of our top OT targets and most of the backups. OG on the other hand, is a different story. If any OG could just be lined up at OT we would be fine, but they can not. 

18 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Good question. I’m hopeful he can just chip in 25 catches, 2 TDs, and quality perimeter blocking. 

i understand you said you were hopeful for quality perimeter blocking, but what about this guy and his history makes anyone think he is going to be a good blocking WR? Auburn asks MUCH more out of their WRs as far as blocking goes. It takes some guys years to be able to get their blocking down... He wasnt coached to block at Oklahoma like he will be asked to do here. Their WRs dont block near as much as ours. They actually run legit routes. Ok so he wasnt asked to block at OU like he will be asked to do at Auburn. Youngstown State? LoL even if he was asked to block at YSU, the players he was asked to block arent in the same stratosphere as the ones he will be asked to block in the SEC. 

Between YouTube videos and other forums, people automatically presume he will be an exceptional blocker. And how people think that mystifies me. I know you arent saying he will be a good blocker Jeff, i just dont get it... 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I know you arent saying he will be a good blocker Jeff, i just dont get it... 

I think you think too hard about some things. lol. I don’t know if he will be a quality blocker or not. Being 6’4 and weighing 208 should help his cause when he is blocking  5’10 180 pound DBs though. 

24 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I think you think too hard about some things

boy ain't that the truth? 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

To be fair, we dont need ANY more bodies at OG. While it seems to some we have abandoned OL recruiting in recent classes, we havent. We have missed on basically all of our top OT targets and most of the backups. OG on the other hand, is a different story. If any OG could just be lined up at OT we would be fine, but they can not. 

tenor.gif

11 hours ago, weagl1 said:

They need to concentrate on bringing in O linemen we have plenty of WR.  

The two aren't mutually exclusive. We have slots available on the annual limit and the overall 85 limit isn't a problem either. Personally I didn't see the need for another WR but since we pursued several, there must be a need/want there and since there's not a numbers crunch, why not another WR? If a quality OL becomes available we can add him too.

14 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

We did, they just all left (Kyle Davis, Nate-Craig)

That's pretty much it, we don't sign big pro style receivers.....even though they are the guys that's been successful.  only guy that would still be here is Craig and with how he was rated it should've been planned he wouldn't be here. And it's funny that the bigger guys aren't usually happy with their usage but here we are in critical need of one....we don't even use them when we have them. We always have smaller guys on deck, for whatever reason Gus doesn't feel like he can recruit or develop complete receivers so if it's so important to offer random guys he should keep the bodies on deck

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, AUallday said:

I agree w Cole in a way, but i took a baseball view. Did he even say NFL was his goal? Maybe he just wants to enjoy being a WR in college football as he is trying to up his MLB draft status.

I actually hope that is his plan...that would be an amazing college experience.

I believe he literally said he's trying to go to the NFL in a year

13 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Agreed.  What really concerns/bothers me is that this supposed offensive genius cannot come up with an offensive system/game plan with the talent he has at wide receiver currently on the roster.  He feels that a player with next to nothing on his resume over the last 3 years is gonna be the answer because he fits a height criteria?  I mean he may end up great, but there is nothing that tells us he is gonna be.  

I just think with Williams, Schwartz, Hill, Stove, Hastings, Jackson, Johnson, McClain at WR alone you can design an offensive passing attack.  Then throw in the commitment the last year on taller h-back/pass catching tight ends in Joiner, Canella, Wilson, Fromm and Deal it is pretty easy to split them outside and get a mismatch if you created new plays.

Also, on the Graduate OT need.  I think we can offer any of them the opportunity to start at Right Tackle, Driscoll is solid but can be beat out.

Edited by auburnphan
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Agreed.  What really concerns/bothers me is that this supposed offensive genius cannot come up with an offensive system/game plan with the talent he has at wide receiver currently on the roster.  He feels that a player with next to nothing on his resume over the last 3 years is gonna be the answer because he fits a height criteria?  I mean he may end up great, but there is nothing that tells us he is gonna be.  

I just think with Williams, Schwartz, Hill, Stove, Hastings, Jackson, Johnson, McClain, Fuqua at WR alone you can design an offensive passing attack.  Then throw in the commitment the last year on taller h-back/pass catching tight ends in Joiner, Canella, Wilson, Fromm and Deal it is pretty easy to split them outside and get a mismatch if you created new plays.

Well I don’t see anything wrong with going to get the guy if Gus feels like the guy could be beneficial to the team. We do need some WR height. Don’t know if you noticed in A day, but don’t think McLain can adjust to the ball while it’s in the air. We couldn’t guarantee Lamichael Pettway bunch of catches so we may also just want the guy for perimeter blocking. 

Also, we may still find a transfer O linemen. It’s not either/ or.

Edited by aujeff11

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Well I don’t see anything wrong with going to get the guy if Gus feels like the guy could be beneficial to the team. We do need some WR height. Don’t know if you noticed in A day, but don’t think McLain can adjust to the ball while it’s in the air. We couldn’t guarantee Lamichael Pettway bunch of catches so we may also just want the guy for perimeter blocking. 

Also, we may still find a transfer O linemen. It’s not either/ or.

never said it was an either or situation with lineman.

just because a guy is 6'4 does not mean he is a perimeter blocker.  I believe if that were to be an issue they would just put Jackson in and waste him like they did Nate-Craig because from all reports he is a great blocker.

Both Hill and Williams 6'1" and 6'3" showed that ability that McClain might not have.  In almost every offense guys move around.

If we didn't run an offense that ran mainly run plays and screen passes with the low percentage Hail Mary bomb shot as its base we really don't need height at all.  

Gus can do what ever he wants and we can disagree with his decisions.   Most of us have had issues with his roster management for a long time so it really surprises nobody.

I also think most of us can agree minus depth at the offensive line this is by far the most superiorly talented offensive team Gus has ever had.  Any play caller should put up 30 plus points with this talent a game.  If I were the head coach I would wanna call the plays too.  These guys are gonna make people look good that don't deserve it.  I am excited to see the offense as we are loaded with big play guys and I think it is gonna be hard enough to get everyone their touches with the talent we already have!

• Like 1

Just now, auburnphan said:

just because a guy is 6'4 does not mean he is a perimeter blocker.

Hey, I’m not privy to the coaches conversations. When I say “maybe he will be used for blocking,” I’m not saying “Hey Phan, this guy will be our blocking WR and he will do awesome!”

3 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Both Hill and Williams 6'1" and 6'3" showed that ability that McClain might not have. 

According to a sub our coaches weren’t really happy with WRs during spring practice until the spring game. So I’m going to be happy that Gus is doing what he can to bolster his offense to be ready for the upcoming season. He may just be a depth guy which is highly likely given that Pettway didn't like the depth chart. 

10 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I also think most of us can agree minus depth at the offensive line this is by far the most superiorly talented offensive team Gus has ever had.

2014 called

10 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Any play caller should put up 30 plus points with this talent a game.  If I were the head coach I would wanna call the plays too. 

Weeeee!!!!!! 

5 hours ago, auburnphan said:

I just think with Williams, Schwartz, Hill, Stove, Hastings, Jackson, Johnson, McClain at WR alone you can design an offensive passing attack.  Then throw in the commitment the last year on taller h-back/pass catching tight ends in Joiner, Canella, Wilson, Fromm and Deal it is pretty easy to split them outside and get a mismatch if you created new plays.

Also, on the Graduate OT need.  I think we can offer any of them the opportunity to start at Right Tackle, Driscoll is solid but can be beat out.

Farrar might have done next to nothing but he’s still done more than McClain has

On 5/19/2019 at 12:32 AM, WFE12 said:

So we're gonna get that from a guy that couldn't make it at OK and played at Youngstown St.....Aight bro. Seth can't be a Duke type WR?...Aight bro.

Never said Seth couldn't. Just passing on how the staff feels, particularly Gus. Also if Seth is moved outside then there's the hole of an inside physical WR (In staff's eyes).

On 5/19/2019 at 12:34 PM, cole256 said:

Agree. Just restating what the kid has said himself. His mindset seems like the type that would still go pro even if he got a low draft grade after this season.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Never said Seth couldn't. Just passing on how the staff feels, particularly Gus. Also if Seth is moved outside then there's the hole of an inside physical WR (In staff's eyes).

Wasn't directing that to you. I was talking about Gustav.

• Thanks 1