Hardest job in America

bigbird

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Interesting take. He makes some very good points.

Agreed, he makes some really good points. I will continue to contend that Orgeron will fizzle out at LSU quicker than most expect; he really benefits from his coordinators.

Yes, not winning the SEC since 2013 is frustrating and doesn’t meet our standards. However, what’s more frustrating are losses like Tennessee ,Arkansas in OT, and other head scratchers when we had far superior talent.

My biggest complaint about Gus is that we hired him to be a mastermind of offense. Yet the dude has never solved the red zone and recently the O has been nothing but a hindrance. The hurry up aspect of Gus’ O was critical as was the mobile QB. The league has caught up and moved past his concepts unfortunately.

To the point of the video though, yes Auburn is a tough job and especially now that we’re almost guaranteed to have to play Georgia twice. However, there’s also a lot of support and tools at Auburn to be successful. We should never lose to Arkansas, Ole Miss, or Miss State with what we have at Auburn. 

Hmmmmm well that is odd. Mikey is a lot younger than he likes to put on.

Interesting...and a point the guy just rushed through but which I think is crucial was his comment about the stretch drive playing three or four teams at the end of  the year with more talent on the field than AU.     JMO but the pie in the sky dreamers here are the ones who think that with the right coach we could out-recruit  bama, uga and LSU and maybe the aggies.  Even more delusional are the ones who think that because we have a top ten recruiting class that we have more talent than those teams …..which have top 5 classes most years. 

And yes, I doubt that Gus will coach out his contract....somewhere along the line Gus will lose enough games that Greene will not be able to withstand the pressure to make a coaching change. 

Thank you for posting @bigbird.  Very good posts indeed that should make a lot of people think, including myself.  The last half of this video should be posted in your hijacked thread on the OL.

The moving of the Georgia game will help a little with the potential gauntlet of the playoff scenario. The video points are good ones except that I don't pull for Alabama against Georgia or anyone else. I don't smoke at all and rarely drink. Basically like to live clean and I won't mess that up by being a Gump, even for a short period of time. 

How is the AU job tougher than Vandy, Ole Miss, Arkansas, MSU, or South Carolina?  How is it tougher than the bottom half of any P5 conference?

45 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Agreed, he makes some really good points. I will continue to contend that Orgeron will fizzle out at LSU quicker than most expect; he really benefits from his coordinators.

Yes, not winning the SEC since 2013 is frustrating and doesn’t meet our standards. However, what’s more frustrating are losses like Tennessee ,Arkansas in OT, and other head scratchers when we had far superior talent.

My biggest complaint about Gus is that we hired him to be a mastermind of offense. Yet the dude has never solved the red zone and recently the O has been nothing but a hindrance. The hurry up aspect of Gus’ O was critical as was the mobile QB. The league has caught up and moved past his concepts unfortunately.

To the point of the video though, yes Auburn is a tough job and especially now that we’re almost guaranteed to have to play Georgia twice. However, there’s also a lot of support and tools at Auburn to be successful. We should never lose to Arkansas, Ole Miss, or Miss State with what we have at Auburn. 

Dabo benefits off his coords too. And is that not part of the skill of a head coach? To be able to lead without getting in the way?

I agree 100% on the we hired Gus to be a mastermind. I don't understand how all the excuses that a novice would have apply to Gus as well. What's the point of hiring a savant if he can't overcome what most could not

29 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Interesting...and a point the guy just rushed through but which I think is crucial was his comment about the stretch drive playing three or four teams at the end of  the year with more talent on the field than AU.     JMO but the pie in the sky dreamers here are the ones who think that with the right coach we could out-recruit  bama, uga and LSU and maybe the aggies.  Even more delusional are the ones who think that because we have a top ten recruiting class that we have more talent than those teams …..which have top 5 classes most years. 

And yes, I doubt that Gus will coach out his contract....somewhere along the line Gus will lose enough games that Greene will not be able to withstand the pressure to make a coaching change. 

Thank you for always managing to want to cap the ceiling of our program and limit what we can accomplish. We are the biggest sleeping giant in the sport and there is no ceiling with the right coach. 

40 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

How is the AU job tougher than Vandy, Ole Miss, Arkansas, MSU, or South Carolina?  How is it tougher than the bottom half of any P5 conference?

Because we play in the toughest division, in the toughest conference, with the toughest permanent cross-divisional rival.

Tougher than Vandy, and USCe because we play in the west, so we play UA, LSU, TAMU unlike Vandy and USCe

Tougher than Arky, OM, and MSU because, although in the same division, we play UGA a minimum of once every year.

The toughest teams in the SEC besides AU are UA, UGA, LSU, TAMU, UF. We play 4/5 every single season no matter what and some seasons we play all 5. After all that, if we succeed,  we play the SECe winner, potentially another UF or UGA match up.

That's how it's different.

26 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Expectations are more reasonable at those schools.  JMO

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Because we play in the toughest division if the toughest conference with the toughest permanent cross-divisional rival.

Tougher than Vandy, and USCe because we play in the west, so we play UA, LSU, TAMU unlike Vandy and USCe

Tougher than Arky, OM, and MSU because, although in the same division, we play UGA a minimum of once every year.

The toughest teams in the SEC besides AU are UA, UGA, LSU, TAMU, UF. We play 4/5 every single season no matter what and some seasons, we play all 5. After all that, if we succeed,  we play the SECe winner, potentially another UF or UGA match up.

And we don't have our football only facility :Sing:

28 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Because of the (somewhat unrealistic) expectations of the fan base. Our people act like AU has some fabulous history of dominance and all we need is to hire Coach Right and everything will be back in the magical place where it used to be. There is no such place. Where we used to be is where we are right now.

Do we want better? Sure. 1993, 2010 and 2013 were great years but sadly, they are outliers, not Auburn's norm. We have never consistently out-recruited UAT, UGA, Florida or Tennessee. We beat them more than we should when looking at recruiting results but we don't beat them because we recruited better.

I think if we, as a fan base, would get behind our coaches and support them instead of bitchin' because they aren't Saban we'd recruit better and win more games.

34 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but the pie in the sky dreamers here are the ones who think that with the right coach we could out-recruit  bama, uga and LSU and maybe the aggies.  Even more delusional are the ones who think that because we have a top ten recruiting class that we have more talent than those teams …..which have top 5 classes most years. 

Would love for you to provide some quotes. Otherwise, I think you're wildly misrepresenting the sentiments of those with whom you disagree. 

Good strategy. Convince yourself now that when they fire him, it will be because of "pressure" and not because the guy just wasn't good enough at his job. 

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Because of the (somewhat unrealistic) expectations of the fan base. Our people act like AU has some fabulous history of dominance and all we need is to hire Coach Right and everything will be back in the magical place where it used to be. There is no such place. Where we used to be is where we are right now.

Do we want better? Sure. 1993, 2010 and 2013 were great years but sadly, they are outliers, not Auburn's norm. We have never consistently out-recruited UAT, UGA, Florida or Tennessee. We beat them more than we should when looking at recruiting results but we don't beat them because we recruited better.

I think if we, as a fan base, would get behind our coaches and support them instead of bitchin' because they aren't Saban we'd recruit some better and win more games.

Show me again Clemsons fabulous history of dominance again before Dabo. THE COACH MATTERS. IT IS EVERYTHING. I mean come tf on. For goodness sake. Just look at how our perennial cellar dweller basketball program that historically is the worst in SEC history can turn around with the right coaching hire. You literally see IN AUBURN how much the right coach can change everything. Michigans fabulous history of being the all time leader in wins means nothing when you hire the brady hokes and rich rods of the world. 

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I think if we, as a fan base, would get behind our coaches and support them instead of bitchin' because they aren't Saban we'd recruit better and win more games.

So the fan base is what comes up with the 5 QB rotation game plans, the 17 1st down dives and Whirlybird cox-cat play calls, executes the play calls, and under recruits positions of needs. Yep, that tracks.

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Because we play in the toughest division, in the toughest conference, with the toughest permanent cross-divisional rival.

The toughest teams in the SEC besides AU are UA, UGA, LSU, TAMU, UF. We play 4/5 every single season no matter what and some seasons, we play all 5. After all that, if we succeed,  we play the SECe winner, potentially another UF or UGA match up.

I will say this. DO we have a tougher schedule than these programs? Absolutely. Literally every year. Only Lsu schedule with Florida being their permanent cross division rival is close to as hard as ours. BUT are those programs significantly worse jobs than AU? Absolutely.

Watch out, fellow Pack members! The Bus is firing on all cylinders this morning!

*Fans complaining is why we lose
*Gus's job is in jeopardy because of "pressure"
*Expectations make his job hard, not the other teams and coaches he recruits against and plays
*People who think we can be better don't know what our past W-L records are
*It's okay to lose 5 games a year because we've always done it that way
*We can't out-recruit the state school in talent-rich Tennessee
*Expectations are too high because delusional fans don't understand how recruiting rankings work

Get the word out! The roads aren't safe today! Awoooooooo

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

But we could be more. Why settle?

35 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Oh boy. You don't always have to have the best talent. LSU has been average at best the last 8 years. All the talent in the world. Same with uga and A&M. bama also before Saban. Yeah, you need to recruit at a high level. But you damn sure better develop the players you have and be able to adapt to their strengths. A top 15 class, with some difference makers, can have you competing for championships on a regular basis, as long as you have some good coaching and development mixed in. Gus has the recruiting down pretty good, just not the other important parts. And has shown he is either to dumb or stubborn to make that change.

Your last sentence, what makes you think it's just some pressure that will want Green to make a change? That Greene can't think for himself as an AD and that only pressure will make him want to change? That is just nonsense. Greene will want to make the change when he thinks the change is needed. Won't be because of the pressure from the fans. I can tell you this with 100% certain.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Show me again Clemsons fabulous history of dominance again before Dabo. THE COACH MATTERS. IT IS EVERYTHING. I mean come tf on. For goodness sake. Look at how our perennial cellar dweller basketball programs that historically is the worst in SEC history can turn around with the right coaching hire. Michigans fabulous history of being the all time leader in wins means nothing when you hire the brady hokes and rich rods of the world. 

For every Dabo and Pearl, there are several dozen Butch Jones and Avery Johnsons out there. Those guys looked like good hires, in Johnson's case it should have been a home run. Do you have a magic crystal ball to tell the difference?

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

For every Dabo and Pearl, there are several dozen Butch Jones and Avery Johnsons out there. Those guys looked like good hires, in Johnson's case it should have been a home run. Do you have a magic crystal ball to tell the difference?

First of all Pearl does not belong in the same category as those guys. He was a proven coach in the SEC before we hired him and was not some "up and comer". Second no I do not. That does not mean I do not want to stop trying just because there is always going to be risk involved in a coaching search. It is a huge inexact science but if a change needs to be made you cannot let that thought process hold you back.

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Expectations are more reasonable at those schools.  JMO

You don't think it's reasonable for AU to strive for at least 9 to 10 wins a year. 8 and everything is OK? Be the Vandy, Ole Miss, Arkansas, MSU, or South Carolina's?  Unreal. Reasonable? My ass.

Archived