Hardest job in America

bigbird

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Man all the hate this week is extra.

giphy.gif

For me, it's not Gus based hate. I'd feel the same with any coach if the results, the frustration, and the way in which they occurred were the same.  My "hate" is a result of unrealized potential and wasted possibilities. I want to win and more than that I want to do so with consistency.  

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ellitor said:

True but per Keith FWIW many times the way our fans have bellyached wherever it may be has created an additional challenge our staff has to deal with on the trail. I/m not saying don't bellyache or call for better just that we collectively are being heard. And yes it's up to our HC to win & do better so the bellyaches drops down.

Only Gus can change the narrative ~ only he can be the Pepto for our bellyache's.

His empty promises of "a bright future" and "I'll get this thing turned around", and "we were inexperienced", and "it's not the end of the world", and "I need to be a CEO coach", and "I need to be a hands-on coach", and "I'm going to BE the OC" is nauseating.

He gives us too much junk to digest, the product he puts on the field gives us all IBS with explosive bouts of diarrhea.  :OnTheCan:

12 minutes ago, keesler said:

Only Gus can change the narrative ~ only he can be the Pepto for our bellyache's.

His empty promises of "a bright future" and "I'll get this thing turned around", and "we were inexperienced", and "it's not the end of the world", and "I need to be a CEO coach", and "I need to be a hands-on coach", and "I'm going to BE the OC" is nauseating.

He gives us too much junk to digest, the product he puts on the field gives us all IBS with explosive bouts of diarrhea.  :OnTheCan:

Yup HE is the one who told us we'd be back in the NCG

He does have the hardest job. No other coach in the land gets the privilege of being Alabama's #1 rivalry. We are witnessing the greatest run in college football history across the state, and we have managed two championship appearances during it. We can thank Gus for that. His high octane offense made those runs possible.

With that being said, Gus is stubborn. He has brought a lot of criticism on himself. Some of the things that I have seen on the field are downright unacceptable. They have caused us seasons of disappointment. We can also thank Gus for that. His unwillingness to adapt and seemingly incapability to groom a quarterback made those seasons possible. 

The truth lies somewhere in between. The schedule is brutal, always, but we have risen to the occasion multiple times with him. We have also faltered multiple times. I'm in the camp that if he tanks again, and we can get a coach that we know will be better, we should. The problem is that there may not be a coach out there that is.

3 hours ago, Win4AU said:

If Gus can get Auburn to 9-10 win seasons instead of 8 with the CFP being in play every year I think Gus will coach out his contract.  He has the QBs to be here at least 3-4 more years.

Not probable. I can't remember anyone coaching out his contract except maybe Bear and Eddie Robinson and his was for life. Gus won't coach out his contract because if he's winning 10 games per year he'll get extensions but if he's winning 8 games he doesn't make it. 

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Yup HE is the one who told us we'd be back in the NCG

Every coach says that..."we intend to win championships".....guess it's good to have optimistic goals but consider that fewer than 1% of Div 1 coaches have even coached in a national championship game so guess I would not bet the rent money on it actually happening in any sport. :dunno:

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Every coach says that..."we intend to win championships".....guess it's good to have optimistic goals but consider that fewer than 1% of Div 1 coaches have even coached in a national championship game so guess I would not bet the rent money on it actually happening in any sport. :dunno:

Intend is different than "will" lol but I agree with you, still don't be upset when people hold you to your monotone words!

7 hours ago, Zeek said:

His average record at Auburn is (8.83-4.5) with an atrocious (2-6) bowl record. Take out his best and worst season he averages out to (8.5-4.75). He has had 6 years to prove himself and he's proved that he is a consistent 8-9 win coach. 

I mean at some point we are going to have to realize that Gus has had as much success through year six as the rest of our coaches, and recognize there is still plenty of room for growth.

I enjoy the guy in the OP though.🤫

He had an earlier video basically mocking Lombardi and NFL scouts on their resistance to scouting players in the spread. His point is there are not college coaches crying because they cannot evaluate HS players in various offenses. 

These are the best threads. As far as Gus having the hardest job in America? I don’t agree. Expectations are much higher in a number of other schools. Granted we face A tough schedule year in and year out , yet Gus is still kicking and even got a raise despite being insanely inconsistent. Our brass has proven to be more patient than quite a bit of schools in terms of this. 

Mr.  Pate hit the nail on the head and we all know it. There’s not a more challenging job in college football. 

40 minutes ago, DAG said:

These are the best threads. As far as Gus having the hardest job in America? I don’t agree. Expectations are much higher in a number of other schools. Granted we face A tough schedule year in and year out , yet Gus is still kicking and even got a raise despite being insanely inconsistent. Our brass has proven to be more patient than quite a bit of schools in terms of this. 

The challenge is the point here. Pressure is high at a lot of places.

And someone said Arkansas expectations are more realistic ? That’s just not true. Arkansas does NOT respect Auburn. Half of their fan base don’t respect Gus. They think he is a joke and is under performing with the talent he has. They expect to at the very least be able to win 9 games and compete ever since Petrino had them at a high level. The only team they expect to consistently lose to is Alabama. Prior to BB last year, if you talked to them or went to their boards quite a few of them thought they could beat Auburn consistently. To be fair, before things went off on the deep end for them, the auburn and Arkansas series was tied. Gus KNOWS Arkansas expectations even with leas talent and that’s why I honestly believe he did NOT want to really go. He knows how those folks are. Again, I think our fan base and some people in the media over exaggerate about the hot seat and Gus. Like I said, Gus has been wildly inconsistent and yet has gotten two raises in his time here. Florida is on their third coach in since 2010.

6 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

The challenge is the point here. Pressure is high at a lot of places.

The challenge isn’t the point because he hasn’t lived up to the challenge yet has been rewarded. Most people who don’t live up to the challenge get fired. 

I think he is 2-4 against LSU

2-4 against Bama

2-5 against UGA

4-2 against Texas A&M

3-3 against Mississippi state 

dominating Arkansas, Ole Miss. 

And 2-4 in bowl games. I don’t know if this is all accurate. Someone else can double check this.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

The challenge isn’t the point because he hasn’t lived up to the challenge yet has been rewarded. Most people who don’t live up to the challenge get fired. 

Not Gus but the job!!!! Name another schedule year in and year out like Auburn’s right now. 

15 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Not Gus but the job!!!! Name another schedule year in and year out like Auburn’s right now. 

Yes the schedule is tough. But you either can live up to it or you can’t. Gus is making a lot of money to be just above average. If you are getting paid top dollar to be just above average then I don’t consider you to have the hardest job because your standards are already well below par the expectations. But what I am going to say is this program and their fans put in a lot of resources to stay with the top dogs. There is a lot of money , time and investment that goes into Auburn football. Our fans need to stop acting like little prissy girls for once. I can assure you the players, coaching staff, etc want these type of games and want to play against quality talent in the SEC as competitors. 

Another thing I am sick of hearing about is how tough our schedule is. UGA just got nice the last couple of years . They were very beatable during Some of Gus’s tenure. LSU too. They were very beatable when Les was going do his crap and they were beatable the last two years. Hell, Troy state beat them at HOME two years ago. But people forget that very quickly .

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

So the fan base is what comes up with the 5 QB rotation game plans, the 17 1st down dives and Whirlybird cox-cat play calls, executes the play calls, and under recruits positions of needs. Yep, that tracks.

it's my fault.  

41 minutes ago, DAG said:

Another thing I am sick of hearing about is how tough our schedule is. 

Me too. Give me Clemson’s. 

Oh wait....

See our SOS from year to year if you think it hasn’t been a yearly grind experienced by few. 2015 was a reprieve if you will, and we were still at 15.

As for this year, well I guess we are supposed to look away from the reality of the schedule and expect 10 wins because we are Auburn. We should be better than being Auburn and heads will roll until we are not Auburn. 

9 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Me too. Give me Clemson’s. 

Oh wait....

See our SOS if you think from year to year if you think it hasn’t been a yearly grind experienced by few. 2015 was a reprieve if you will, and we were still at 15.

As for this year, well I guess we are supposed to look away from the reality of the schedule and expect 10 wins because we are Auburn. We should be better than being Auburn and heads will roll until we are not Auburn. 

Clemson would run through the SEC. preseason perception blinds you guys. People Talking about UF. They have potential to be elite but they haven’t proved it. Last year they loss their homecoming game to Missouri. Loss to Kentucky who was a quality team. Killed by UGA. Now, everybody wants to big them up. Let them prove it first .

LSU - a good team. That is about it. They are also very beatable team

Aggies- a good team. They have potential but they have to prove it. People are assuming other teams are going to just get better.

So yes, you are damn right I expect auburn to compete and beat these teams. They dang sure better be beating the likes of Mississippi state , ole miss and Arkansas.

Only two teams IMO look and feel elite. UGA and Bama. I can tell you right now, Oregon don’t fear Auburn. Washington fans last year did not fear Auburn. I can’t wait till that actually changes for Auburn. The hard truth is most of the teams have been hanging on to Alabama’s success. 

And I am not saying we have to beat UGA and Alabama every year so I don’t want anyone trying to put those words in my mouth.

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

Clemson would run through the SEC. 

They would probably be 10-2 or something. Makes a difference when you can’t just coast through the season.They lost two QBs one week and could still win the game.

Who does Clemson play? 

I remember when they beat us one year, according to ESPN their chances of making it to the playoffs rose to OVER  90% since they played nobodies for the rest of the full season. 

Lets assume we beat three top ten teams at the time : Oregon, Florida, and LSU in Red Stick and finish 9-4 ( lose to saggy Aggy, Bama, Georgia, bowl)  Who all is sharpening the ax around here?

‘Fess up 

23 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

They would probably be 10-2 or something. Makes a difference when you can’t just coast through the season.They lost two QBs one week and could still win the game.

Who does Clemson play? 

I remember when they beat us one year, according to ESPN their chances of making it to the playoffs rose to OVER  90% since they played nobodies for the rest of the full season. 

Lets assume we beat three top ten teams at the time : Oregon, Florida, and LSU in Red Stick and finish 9-4 ( lose to saggy Aggy, Bama, Georgia, bowl)  Who all is sharpening the ax around here?

‘Fess up 

Or they would probably go 14-0. Clemson has proven they can beat anybody , anywhere. They aren’t a good example to use . It’s like those 2000 USC squad teams. They didn’t have the hardest schedule year in and year out either , but unless you had a VY at  QB 99 percent of the teams did not want to see them. But if they were in the SEC, going 10-2 potentially still puts them in the playoffs . Do people not understand that ? Being in the SEC with all its challenges AMPLIFIES your recruiting. We were not good last year and according to 247 we had well with a top 15 class and if we would’ve signed Pickens we would’ve had a top six class. We would’ve had a better recruiting class than Clemson , who won a dang national championship. That’s after losing to the likes of Tennessee and Mississippi state. For you guys who want to partition to join the ACC because the SEC is so tough consider this:

Unless you built a reputation like Clemson has (winning on the big stages), you lose 1 game , you are potentially marked out of playoff contention for the rest of the year. Another thing you need to consider is you won’t get the sameness type of recruits you get in the SEC. I don’t think the SEC has a bunch of elite teams but they do have a bunch of elite, remarkable athletes and that can’t go unnoticed. And I don’t go off who is top ten at one point of time. I need to see the complete body work. There are plenty of teams (Auburn) who are top ten at one point of time only to fall off at the end of the season. 

24 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Who does Clemson play? 

‘Fess up 

I for one believe we can win 9 games and maybe that is why I am going so hard right now . Yes the SEC is a challenge but we have guys who grow up knowing this challenge. A lot of these guys played against and with each other. They want this challenge. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Who does Clemson play? 

‘Fess up 

9 wins is the floor for me. Anything less than 9 wins should result in a coaching change The only way Gus survives going 8-4 in 2019 is if one of those 8 wins is against UGA or Bama.

Clemson would not go undefeted in the SEC. Uat has done it what, 1 time?  Y'all are spoiled. Gus has brought Auburn to hights that even Coach Pat Dye didn't achieve. 2 national championship games, winning 1. 

I would love to be consistantly competing to be in the playoffs Look, we were one win away from the playoffs in 2016.  We play in the toughest conference in the world, our recruiting (other than oline) has never been better. I am optimistic about the future. New season, new hope. Lets have some fun people, life is to short to be so stressed out about kids playing a game, no matter how addicting it is!! War Eagle! IGTBAAT ALWAYS!

Archived