Hardest job in America

bigbird

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Show me again Clemsons fabulous history of dominance again before Dabo. THE COACH MATTERS. IT IS EVERYTHING. I mean come tf on. For goodness sake. Just look at how our perennial cellar dweller basketball programs that historically is the worst in SEC history can turn around with the right coaching hire. You literally see IN AUBURN how much the right coach can change everything. Michigans fabulous history of being the all time leader in wins means nothing when you hire the brady hokes and rich rods of the world. 

Shoot, we don't even have to go outside our conference to find a program that became a perennial power since Dye left. Look at Florida. Shoot, we don't even have to look outside our division. Look at LSU. And now all signs point to TAMU joining the elite at one point or another. There are others.

We can't win consistently because we never have before? Great got-ahmighty, what kind of thinking is that?!?!

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Watch out, fellow Pack members! The Bus is firing on all cylinders this morning!

*Fans complaining is why we lose
*Gus's job is in jeopardy because of "pressure"
*Expectations make his job hard, not the other teams and coaches he recruits against and plays
*People who think we can be better don't know what our past W-L records are
*It's okay to lose 5 games a year because we've always done it that way
*We can't out-recruit the state school in talent-rich Tennessee
*Expectations are too high because delusional fans don't understand how recruiting rankings work

Get the word out! The roads aren't safe today! Awoooooooo

I think it's a good thing that your profession isn't archery. You miss the target so often....

42 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

How is the AU job tougher than Vandy, Ole Miss, Arkansas, MSU, or South Carolina?  How is it tougher than the bottom half of any P5 conference?

Expectations.  8 wins and a decent bowl gets you extensions at those places.  Do that too much at AU and you're fired.

3 minutes ago, AUcivE09 said:

Can I just drink my coffee and enjoy reading about Auburn for 5 minutes?!

Not when the delusions of mediocrity flood the boards.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Do you have a magic crystal ball to tell the difference?

Nope, but we do have a 6 year track record, if that helps.

I want Gus to succeed. However, as many positives as he brings, he has some glaring deficiencies as well. To ignore those is beyond reason and a complete recipe for failure.

For every Dabo and Pearl, there are several dozen Butch Jones and Avery Johnsons out there. Those guys looked like good hires, in Johnson's case it should have been a home run. Do you have a magic crystal ball to tell the difference?

What is your point? Settle for paying a coach top 5 money and lose 5 games a year. Mainly because of the HC's deficiencies. It's year 6.  Roll the dice and see if we can get another Pearl. Find the right guy that will fit in at AU. Find the next Pat Dye. Find the right fit.

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Shoot, we don't even have to go outside our conference to find a program that became a perennial power since Dye left. Look at Florida. Shoot, we don't even have to look outside our division. Look at LSU. And now all signs point to TAMU joining the elite at one point or another. There are others.

We can't win consistently because we never have before? Great got-ahmighty, what kind of thinking is that?!?!

Mediocre coaches having ENORMOUS success (albeit just 1 year in most cases) shows HOW MUCH POTENTIAL AU HAS. It is the thing you can point to most when it comes to what our future would be like if we finally get lucky and get this coaching thing right in football. We would get on a tremendous roll and win a lot of games.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I think it's a good thing that your profession isn't archery. You miss the target so often....

Says the guy that just blamed the fans for AU's lack of success.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Mediocre coaches having ENORMOUS success (albeit just 1 year in most cases) shows HOW MUCH POTENTIAL AU HAS. It is the thing you can point to most when it comes to what our future would be like if we finally get lucky and get this coaching thing right in football.

The expectations at AU should be to win 10 games a year. Settle for nothing less. It's very unreasonable to think AU will compete year in and year out for a natty. But damn sure isn't unreasonable to expect to win 10. Fall short for time to time, so be it. To settle for 8 wins and say that with this schedule its a "good" year is just being a sissy. I wasn't thinking sissy.

I literally just repeated your talking points back to you, you silly goose!

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Only way to get better is to not ask for it or really try at all! #winners #winning #success

We could hire a bad coach so don't try to hire a good coach.....can't make this up

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

After his OL comments it's hard to take anything he says anymore seriously.

Don't forget, we lost the LSU game in 2017 because the players didn't execute. 

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The expectations at AU should be to win 10 games a year. Settle for nothing less. It's very unreasonable to think AU will compete year in and year out for a natty. But damn sure isn't unreasonable to expect to win 10. Fall short for time to time, so be it. To settle for 8 wins and say that with this schedule its a "good" year is just being a sissy. I wasn't thinking sissy.

Absolutely. Our "down" years should be no less than 9 wins with a chance at 10 in the bowl game each year. 

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

What kind of thinking is it that we should fire a guy for only being status quo? For only taking us to the conference championship a mere third of his tenure. For only coming one game short of the CFP despite having the hardest schedule in the nation?

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

We could hire a bad coach so don't try to hire a good coach.....can't make this up

That is literally what Mikey is saying. 

Eh. Dignity and sanity are overrated. 

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I didn't blame the fans entirely, but the negativism is a factor. Who puts a coach on the hot seat and makes recruiting more difficult? Partially the coach through a less than desirable record, and the fans who bellyache incessantly. Coaches on the hot seat have a tough sell when recruiting.

29 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Because of the (somewhat unrealistic) expectations of the fan base. Our people act like AU has some fabulous history of dominance and all we need is to hire Coach Right and everything will be back in the magical place where it used to be. There is no such place. Where we used to be is where we are right now.

Do we want better? Sure. 1993, 2010 and 2013 were great years but sadly, they are outliers, not Auburn's norm. We have never consistently out-recruited UAT, UGA, Florida or Tennessee. We beat them more than we should when looking at recruiting results but we don't beat them because we recruited better.

I think if we, as a fan base, would get behind our coaches and support them instead of bitchin' because they aren't Saban we'd recruit better and win more games.

Mikey is on to something... let's just adopt this new attitude about things

tried.gif

That being said, I understand we might not have the history but why should that prevent us from expecting better from the present? 2004, 2010, 2013, 2017 were all extremely solid years we'd just like to see some consistency. Yes, 2017 didn't end the way we would have liked but I think we should aim for that season to become close to our "floor" and 2010/04 to be our ceiling.

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I literally just repeated your talking points back to you, you silly goose!

No, you didn't. You mentioned my comments, with such an angle thrown in that you missed the target entirely. Thus the archery comment.

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

What kind of thinking is it that we should fire a guy for only being status quo? For only taking us to the conference championship a mere third of his tenure. For only coming one game short of the CFP despite having the hardest schedule in the nation?

Not the hardest schedule in the nation. It's hard. Not the hardest. Status quo? That has been the problem. 

I didn't blame the fans entirely, but the negativism is a factor. Who puts a coach on the hot seat and makes recruiting more difficult? Partially the coach through a less than desirable record, and the fans who bellyache incessantly. Coaches on the hot seat have a tough sell when recruiting.

The coach.

Just now, Zeek said:

Mikey is on to something... let's just adopt this new attitude about things

tried.gif

That being said, I understand we might not have the history but why should that prevent us from expecting better from the present? 2004, 2010, 2013, 2017 were all extremely solid years we'd just like to see some consistency. Yes, 2017 didn't end the way we would have liked but I think we should aim for that season to become close to our "floor" and 2010/04 to be our ceiling.

First, you should feel honored because I seldom respond to a post that contains a gif. :) Secondly, I didn't say or imply that we all don't want better. What I did respond to was those claiming that our place in history is above where we are now. Sadly, it isn't.

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The coach.

Yes, I said that already. In the very post you quoted.

Just now, Mikey said:

First, you should feel honored because I seldom respond to a post that contains a gif. :) Secondly, I didn't say or imply that we all don't want better. What I did respond to was those claiming that our place in history is above where we are now. Sadly, it isn't.

We'll always be trailer trash...guess we should settle for a GED and get those silly notions of going to college out of heads.

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

His average record at Auburn is (8.83-4.5) with an atrocious (2-6) bowl record. Take out his best and worst season he averages out to (8.5-4.75). He has had 6 years to prove himself and he's proved that he is a consistent 8-9 win coach. That's not what the people want. I don't know about you but I don't need a 6 year trial period to know whether or not I want something. He's an "okay" coach that has thrived thanks to three transfer quarterbacks. Without Nick Marshall and Jarrett Stidham he's never won more than 8 games.

It's time to move on people. 

Archived