Next Play-by-Play Broadcaster (Update 8/12: Andy Burcham)

tigeraddikt

Gonna be a hard, emotional first game for all of that crew. I imagine we might hear a few choked up calls and extended pauses. However long his tenure, whether interim or 30 more years, I don't think there could have been another choice. IMO,  He will carve his niche and style into all of our hearts, all the while honoring the man he called, friend.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Gonna be a hard, emotional first game for all of that crew. I imagine we might hear a few choked up calls and extended pauses. However long his tenure, whether interim or 30 more years, I don't think there could have been another choice. IMO,  He will carve his niche and style into all of our hearts, all the while honoring the man he called, friend.

Wonder if Andy will retain Jim and Rod's "Touchdown Auburn". 

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Then you wouldn't have liked Jim Fyffe when he was hired.

I’m not saying you I won’t like the person or be willing to give them a chance. I’m just not going to b**** about Auburn hiring an Auburn person, when it comes to the radio announcer. I probably would have thought Jim wasn’t The best choice, but he would have won me over.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I’m looking forward to his “touchdown Auburn “ call being done a lot!

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

That's an interesting question. 

I think that I read before Rod took over, after Fyffe passed, that he only really planned to do it once in Jim's honor but instead it even became ingrained in Rods' calls too.

I suspect Andy might do it once in honor of Rod (& Jim), but I don't picture it really being his style.

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I can't speak to any outside announcers except I used to really like Wes Durham of Ga. Tech but I'm not sure he's even there anymore. 

I'm happy with the hire.  I think Andy has a chance to do really well and be beloved.  I remember it took me a season or two to warm up to Rod but I loved him before long.  I suspect Andy will be the same.  

War Eagle Mr. Burcham!

Exactly.......I remeber these same conversatoins when Jim Fyffe passed.........Rod turned out just fine and so will Andy.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Extremely well said bird. People said Fyffe couldn’t be replaced. From a young age all I can remember is Rod Bramblett’s Touchdown Auburn. The man that made me pursue sports broadcasting.  I think some of the AU writers said it perfectly, Andy is the right guy, at the right time, for Auburn. I think he will do well. Side note, came across Rod Bramblett’s card today looking through my save it all drawer, that he gave to me when I was in college. Got choked up, told me that if I ever had any broadcasting questions, or just wanted to talk, to give him a call. Andy fits this same mold and I am happy that He is getting this opportunity!

2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

That's a very good question..........I actually hope it continues.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:26 AM, Scotty2Hotty said:

It’s Andy Burcham. Congrats Andy!

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:36 AM, ellitor said:

Not sure about that. Bill Cameron said on his radio show yesterday an announcement will not be made til mid August. Also someone on the show said it's trending right now for Paul Ellen to do football & Andy to do basketball.

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

That's a very good question..........I actually hope it continues.

Yeah it will be weird if it doesn't continue, but if that isn't the case, I hope people grant him the patience needed to develop his own style.

6 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Andy is also now the legal guardian of Shelby and Joshua Bramblett, Rod and Paula’s children. Pretty neat how Andy is kind of taking on the mantle of many different aspects of Rod’s life. A lot of people struggle with finding their purpose in life. I think Andy has found his purpose and I am so excited for him. 

Okay, between this post and 72's post, I'm an emotional mess.

Sick Blowing Nose GIF - Sick BlowingNose GIFs

It was hard to listen when Jim passed, but in time I grew to love listening to Rod. I suspect It will be hard in the beginning, but will learn to do the same with Andy. Just finished watching his press conference. I came away very impressed and happy for him. He seems genuinely excited to have this opportunity. War Eagle Andy.

Congrats to Andy! I think he's the natural choice, and the best choice. He will have a tough job this first season, because people will compare him to Rod..... but after time passes I hope the Auburn fans will become used to him and he can inject his own style into his broadcasts. Good Luck to him!

2 hours ago, doverstutts said:

after finding out that he took in the bramlett children, i'm sold!....it matters not one bit whether AB is a great pxp guy in the eyes of others, he already is in mine

Yep. Andy will always bring a little piece of Rod with him into the booth. I think he'll be phenomenal.

On 8/11/2019 at 2:06 PM, Scotty2Hotty said:

Andy has called Auburn sports well over 20 years. As mentioned earlier, he has called Auburn PPV football games, Spring games and baseball. He'll be just fine.

TV broadcasters get swapped every season, sometimes from game to game, so their timing is learned by which part they play.

My belief is Brad would have gotten it had he had experience, which is why he'll call basketball. When Andy is ready to step away, Brad will take over football.

Except we now know that he won't be calling basketball?

I would have preferred Brad of the trio of him, Andy and Paul, but I'm in with Andy, he's a good dude. I wish him the best.

On 8/12/2019 at 2:14 PM, AuCivilEng1 said:

Voice of the Auburn Tigers is one of the only jobs I want to have someone in the family. I think that the person who sits in that booth should love auburn and be familiar with the culture in Auburn.

Gary Sanders, my #2 behind Jim Fyffe...neither of whom were AU 'family' before their hires. 

Andy is an Indiana St. grad.

I'm not stuck on a 'family' person and it has worked out great in the past.

On 8/12/2019 at 5:12 PM, Barnacle said:

I hope so...that phrase is more about the program than it is about the person saying it.  Ranks up there with War Eagle in my book!

1 hour ago, Warbird82 said:

I hope so...that phrase is more about the program than it is about the person saying it.  Ranks up there with War Eagle in my book!

I kind of got the sense that he was leaning on sticking with it from his interview. We will see!

2 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Gary Sanders, my #2 behind Jim Fyffe...neither of whom were AU 'family' before their hires. 

Andy is an Indiana St. grad.

I'm not stuck on a 'family' person and it has worked out great in the past.

Maybe so, but that’s one of the few jobs at Auburn I’d say it makes sense to have an “Auburn person”

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Maybe so, but that’s one of the few jobs at Auburn I’d say it makes sense to have an “Auburn person”

Even if you hired outside the family they would have become all AU after a few weeks. It’s just that atmosphere in Auburn! 

Okay, finally got around to watching Andy's announcement/interview.

I'm all in.  He's going to be fantastic, I feel sure.

Archived