2021 5* QB Brock Vandagriff (UGA)

GwillMac6

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Regarding uga, it will be interesting to see if/where Fromm gets drafted. If he goes high-ish, then it doesn't really matter so much what uga's offense is all about. Also, kirby can still 100% sell the "We aren't good because we need you" thing. And didn't they fire the OC?

Was surprised Fromm declared at all.  But yeah, they just hired the OC from the Cleveland Browns, Todd? Monken. 

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Was surprised Fromm declared at all.  But yeah, they just hired the OC from the Cleveland Browns, Todd? Monken. 

I was, too. I know he was a big time recruit and has the prototype build and all that, but I'm really not impressed with him. Could just be my anti-leghumper bias. 

27 minutes ago, ellitor said:

OK does. UGA not so much, as @GwillMac6 has told us countless times over.

Hard to answer that question given Gus has been here since BVG was in elementary school.

I think that changed when Smart hired Monken. He is known for his air-raid attack on offense, and had a successful stint at Tampa Bay in the NFL where they had a great offense throwing the ball. They have said now they want an explosive offense (sounds like LSU doesn't it?). And now that is what good teams are looking for again...GA included. 

It seems to me that the changes Smart made in his offensive staff, may have helped sway Vandagriff. 

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I think that changed when Smart hired Monken. He is known for his air-raid attack on offense, and had a successful stint at Tampa Bay in the NFL where they had a great offense throwing the ball. They have said now they want an explosive offense (sounds like LSU doesn't it?). And now that is what good teams are looking for again...GA included. 

It seems to me that the changes Smart made in his offensive staff, may have helped sway Vandagriff. 

Kirby asked himself what Gus would do to improve the offense and then did the opposite.  Resulted in a 5* recruit.

All my UGA friends are saying that Monken met with Vandagriff and explained his vision of UGAs offense going forward and thats what sold him.

1 hour ago, atl-tiger said:

Kirby asked himself what Gus would do to improve the offense and then did the opposite.  Resulted in a 5* recruit.

All my UGA friends are saying that Monken met with Vandagriff and explained his vision of UGAs offense going forward and thats what sold him.

The timing certainly supports that version of events. 

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Not to mention that Kirby has also hired Buster Faulkner to help with the Offense as well.  Monken  knows how to use elite talent and Buster knows how to get more offense with less talent.  It is a great combo and it is precisely why UGA stays a step ahead of us.  Kirby made an all in effort to change what they are doing.  Gus hires another buddy to work with a staff of buddies.  

I am so got damn sick of us losing 5 star legacies lately to our rivals. You can't tell me there is another big time program who struggles this much with high profile legacy recruits. Alan Evans son, Jonah Williams and now Brock. And not only are they not going to AU. They are going to our 2 main rivals and competition. SMH. Ish hurts bro.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Not necessarily. UGA was already heavy on him and probably solidly in the lead before the hire.

2 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Gus hires another buddy to work with a staff of buddies

I am all for fair Gus criticisms but How so? Bicknell has no prior relationship with Gus. Just thought that you might actually be referring to Chad Morris. If so he’s at least proven himself countless times over as an OC.

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not necessarily. UGA was already heavy on him and probably solidly in the lead before the hire.

Not *necessarily*, Sheldon. You're correct. But I didn't say necessarily. Just saying they went from in the lead to on the podium pretty quickly after the hire. Perhaps it would have been less controversial if I'd said "doesn't dispute that version".

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Just saying they went from in the lead to on the podium

I didn't interpret your post that way. My bad.

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Perhaps it would have been less controversial if I'd said "doesn't dispute that version".

Relax. Didn't say or imply your post was controversial. I just didn't read your post as you attended. That's on me as I posted above. Even if we were on the same wave length, it's perfectly ok to post an alternative to a post. I honestly wasn't trying to annoy you.

On 1/21/2020 at 5:46 PM, ellitor said:

I am all for fair Gus criticisms but How so? Bicknell has no prior relationship with Gus. Just thought that you might actually be referring to Chad Morris. If so he’s at least proven himself countless times over as an OC.

To be fair you must admit the top requirements to be hired on this staff are A) Former Player, B ) Coached with Gus Previously, C) Played for Gus Previously

The offensive side of the ball has been a who's who of Gustav Comfort.  Herb Hand, Grimes Twice Baked, Kodi, Caddy, Rhett 

10 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

To be fair you must admit the top requirements to be hired on this staff are A) Former Player, B ) Coached with Gus Previously, C) Played for Gus Previously

The offensive side of the ball has been a who's who of Gustav Comfort.  Herb Hand, Grimes Twice Baked, Kodi, Caddy, Rhett 

I know but Chad's OC work at Clemson has proved himself worthy regardless.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

I know but Chad's OC work at Clemson has proved himself worthy regardless.

Great point.  I am hoping that he can channel the type of offense he had when he was an OC and not the type of offense when he was a head coach.

Damn I know I'm a little late here but to me it looks like we are better off not recruiting QBs that are/were AU fans because they are hyper-familiar with Gus and how he handles QBs. Bo is a little different because his dad was in the program but all the other guys @GwillMac6 mentioned...yikes

6 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Damn I know I'm a little late here but to me it looks like we are better off not recruiting QBs that are/were AU fans because they are hyper-familiar with Gus and how he handles QBs. Bo is a little different because his dad was in the program but all the other guys @GwillMac6 mentioned...yikes

That will change if he can do something with Bo, but if Bo turns average then no decent QB’s will come at all. 

2 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

That will change if he can do something with Bo, but if Bo turns average then no decent QB’s will come at all. 

He being Chad Morris FTR.

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

To be fair Alan Evans son wasn't really ever going to come here he was just messing with us. That was on Dad not us.

11 minutes ago, bg5 said:

Alan Evans son wasn't really ever going to come here he was just messing with us.

Disagree. We had him at one point. Kid went ballistic when we won the Kick 6. Most people can't fake that emotional response.

13 minutes ago, bg5 said:

That was on Dad not us.

It was actually on his mom for wanting him to be patient in not committing after the IB. She thought he would still choose AU but wanted him to take his time. Her idea backfired.

18 hours ago, ellitor said:

Disagree. We had him at one point. Kid went ballistic when we won the Kick 6. Most people can't fake that emotional response.

It was actually on his mom for wanting him to be patient in not committing after the IB. She thought he would still choose AU but wanted him to take his time. Her idea backfired.

You may be right but I find it hard to believe that you can turn that hard that fast. When that all ended it looked like the whole family hated Auburn. I just don't think you can turn like that.

2 minutes ago, bg5 said:

You may be right but I find it hard to believe that you can turn that hard that fast. When that all ended it looked like the whole family hated Auburn. I just don't think you can turn like that.

Mom looked disappointed to me at his announcement.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Mom looked disappointed to me at his announcement.

Because mother knows best. 

I always said if my kids played anywhere besides AU that I would support them, but wear my AU face sticker at all their games. My kids are 1 and 6. 😂

Archived