All Things 2019 QB Talk

countoff

2 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

This idea of keeping it secret for gamesmanship reasons is retarded. It will not in any way affect the outcome of this game 

If Gus does name a starter then it will be clear he agrees with you & the case will be closed. Also try not to use the R word in the future. Thanks!

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, JJB74 said:

there is no link......this came from a former player that was there when they timed it.

Okay, in that case, you need to know the drill here.

Without a link, we need your name, rank & serial number.

Also, as a back-up, your blood-type, passport & birth certificate. 

Until then.....

giphy (2).gif

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Trust me bro, I have always said a Baker Mayfield type would do wonders with Gus.

I wouldn’t mind it if our starting QB was like baker both on the field and in charisma. Dude rises to the occasion and is a play maker. Could only imagine having that at Auburn, esp with Gus. Cam was our version and Marshall was close with his performance. Marshall was unique in that you could never tell what was going on during a game by his expression. Ice in his veins!

47 minutes ago, JJB74 said:

You don't have to believe me, it came from a former player that was there when they timed it. 

He won't

Just now, BigWhiskey91 said:

I wouldn’t mind it if our starting QB was like baker both on the field and in charisma. Dude rises to the occasion and is a play maker. Could only imagine having that at Auburn, esp with Gus. Cam was our version and Marshall was close with his performance. Marshall was unique in that you could never tell what was going on during a game by his expression. Ice in his veins!

Baker Mayfield is one of my favorite players so I have no issue with his antics but I do see how it rubs people wrong. Remember, CN personality rubs a lot of people wrong too.

1 minute ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I miss Nick Marshall. He was so underrated in coolness. He used to give me fits when he overthrew receivers, but his poise during that 13 Bama game, when he his Coates for the td was legendary. 

Naming or not naming a starter in the next few days will have no bearing on the game. Great execution will. Be it Bo or JG, Gustavo has a lot of weapons and needs to open up a can of nasty on the Ducks. I still have nightmares of Jeremy Pruitt running up and down our sideline last year calling out our next play to his defense. If you see Cristobal doing that, it wont matter who the QB is. 

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

Naming or not naming a starter in the next few days will have no bearing on the game. Great execution will. Be it Bo or JG, Gustavo has a lot of weapons and needs to open up a can of nasty on the Ducks. I still have nightmares of Jeremy Pruitt running up and down our sideline last year calling out our next play to his defense. If you see Cristobal doing that, it wont matter who the QB is. 

And the fact that TN went up and down the field on our defense. Terrible game. 

But I agree with your premise - it is all about good play calling, blocking, and execution. 

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

If we get the don’t give a **** attitude from Gus that we got in the Purdue game and Bo/Joey can stay cool headed, we are going to hurt some teams bad, with this defense. I fully want to embarrass ole miss and Arky, and I want to see us show up ready to embarrass the other guys. 

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

If we get the don’t give a **** attitude from Gus that we got in the Purdue game and Bo/Joey can stay cool headed, we are going to hurt some teams bad, with this defense. I fully want to embarrass ole miss and Arky, and I want to see us show up ready to embarrass the other guys. 

It would be a great Oh crap opening for the rest of the teams, if we come out guns-a-blazing

1 minute ago, DAG said:

It would be a great Oh crap opening for the rest of the teams, if we come out guns-a-blazing

Like Louisville in 2015 only this time we finish the game and keep it rolling straight through to November.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yea that’s what I want to see. Sportsmanship be damned. Too many teams have run the score up on us. Most notably our two main rivals. I’m really not a fan of Tubs anymore, since he became a politician, but what pisses me off most is that he blew a bunch of opportunities to run Alabama off the field.

43 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That hasn't been Bo so far this Fall. The one reoccuring drawback I've seen reported on him is at times he tries to fit passes in tight windows when there is another guy open. Kid has gunslinger in him.

I've heard Baker Mayfield comparisons.  Live by the three, die by the three....lol. That's the reason I think JG will get the start then lose the start before the season is done. Once Bo only takes what the defense gives him.

2 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Like Louisville in 2015 only this time we finish the game and keep it rolling straight through to November.

As long as we don't do what Louisville did on their first offensive play.  "Who's going to start?  Nobody knows...moving parts...prepare for anything.  Surprise!!! We start both!  Interception...".

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Seems to me the biggest difference would be in short yardage situations. And I won't be surprised if Joey does come in a lot on those.  

Moreso the 3rd and 3 situations.  Don't see us switch QBs for that, but being able to basically fall forward for a first down is huge.

Just now, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Man, that game was so legit at the start. That whole preseason was lit. PRE-2015 was the last time in a while where SEC opponents feared us. I bought way too much into the hype. All I can remember is analyst predicting us to play tOSU in the NC game and JJ being a Heisman hopeful. Ugh, good times. Also, when Alabama fans hated facing our "gimmick" offense.

25 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yes. And there is a respected high school coach who writes the Know The Enemy articles each week for AU rivals who believes it & feels "you take any advantage you can get no matter how small it may be".

If it's another Offense then I might feel there's a bigger difference in prep depending on the QB but as of the 6th season of this Gus offense, it's not as big a deal.  Until he proves different it's going to be the same Offense regardless of who's QB.  

Like others have said....Bo might pass more & Joey might run more, however, all the pre-snap jimmy-joe and the 2-3 second ZR handoff fakes and WR bubble-screens and the 2 branch route trees.... until Gus shows different I just believe it's the same Offense with either QB, it's just a matter of how much the opposing defense will respect or attack the run game.

That being said, I agree with taking every perceived advantage possible.  As Jack Nicklaus said always tee-up the ball when you have a chance.

15 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Moreso the 3rd and 3 situations.  Don't see us switch QBs for that, but being able to basically fall forward for a first down is huge.

I also don’t want Joey to come in and defenses immediately know that it’s going to be a Qb run.  I’d like the defense to have to guess some.

15 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

As long as we don't do what Louisville did on their first offensive play.  "Who's going to start?  Nobody knows...moving parts...prepare for anything.  Surprise!!! We start both!  Interception...".

If it results in winning the Heisman his Sophomore year, I’ll take it. 

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

Man, that game was so legit at the start. That whole preseason was lit. PRE-2015 was the last time in a while where SEC opponents feared us. I bought way too much into the hype. All I can remember is analyst predicting us to play tOSU in the NC game and JJ being a Heisman hopeful. Ugh, good times. Also, when Alabama fans hated facing our "gimmick" offense.

When Muschamp made the comment that JJ could throw the ball through a car wash without it getting wet, I fully bought in. Everyone was deceived there. What made it worse was he had two or three starts prior to 2015 and we didn’t see many signs or red flags for what we got in 2015. RIP

27 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

It was crazy how those 2010 and 2013-14 offenses were money in short yardage. 2017, too, to a lesser extent, with KJ running the Wildcat in so many of those situations. 

But yeah, I'm totally cool with Joey being our Cam/KJ/Tebow. I said a lot in the offseason that we could be looking at an awesome '06 UF time share, mitigated only by our Chris Leak being a true freshman. Well, maybe a less experienced but more talented Chris Leak will work. And Joey's probably a better all-around QB than Tebow. 

On 7/22/2019 at 10:38 AM, abw0004 said:

Everyone knows how much I love Bo Nix.  Been following him for a long time now and I would love to see him as starter.  I will mention one thing that many on here may have forgotten about Gatewood:  Joey Gatewood played Trevor Lawrence in high school and Gatewood showed out that game.  His team lost to Lawrence in a close game, but Gatewood graded out pretty close to Lawrence.  Either way, I think we are on good legs with either QB starting for us.

It's kind of a shame what the NCAA did with the transfer rules. We finally get 2 QB's with very good potential, which we have not had for a long time. Yet, here we are now having to worry that QB2 may immediately start thinking about playing somewhere else if he doesn't start against Oregon. In the "old" days, if say for instance JG got the nod for starter over BN, BN would have generally accepted his position as QB2 being the True Freshman versus the RS Freshman. I am hoping that regardless of the "starter"  designation both players genuinely get their time early in the season to become integral to the team's success. If the coaches (at all schools) cannot find ways to help make that happen, most all teams are going to be running around each week with a "starter" and everyone else ready to transfer. I am being Auburn Blind and hoping that they both find a way to be productive at Auburn.

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

That’s probably the worst I’ve felt after a win.  The game started good enough but after that second pick I started feeling nervous.  Louisville fans are gross too.

2 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I also don’t want Joey to come in and defenses immediately know that it’s going to be a Qb run.  I’d like the defense to have to guess some.

Dilly already said they plan to run even more Wildcat, so look for plenty of Whitlow & Gatewood keepers. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Andy Fuller

we used to put TEs in the NFL

Archived