All Things 2019 QB Talk

countoff

8 hours ago, DAG said:

Exactly . I could’ve sworn Chip was the main reason he left CB at V. Tech to get here

It wasn’t. Check my revised timeline that includes one important new detail..

Lashlee went 0 after and got Willis for Auburn.  Now  any interviews Willis gave as a recruit after Chip was hired was going to be about Chip much more than Lashlee so the positive comments about his recruitment are going to be about chip even though Lashlee did the work. That may give perception that chip helped land Willis  when reality is he didn’t. 

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It wasn’t. Check my revised timeline that includes one important new detail..

Lashlee win after and got Willis for Auburn.  Now  any interviews Willis gave as a recruit after Chip was hired was going to be about Chip much more than Lashlee so the positive comments about his recruitment are going to be about chip even though Lashlee did the work. That may give perception that chip help land Willis  when reality is he didn’t. 

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the clarification.

I think every die in the wool orange blue fan is wondering who is going to win the starting job. Both are excellent choices and bring a lot to the table. I like both of these QBs and think we could win and possibly win big with either one.

Gatewood: big by an SEC school's standards and can run over DBs if needed. Has deceptive speed. (ran on HS track team). Passing skills improved significantly over spring training. Most importantly, could run the zone read offense very well with making good reads.

Bo: Has the potential to be a prolific passer. Has good enough speed to run the zone read offense. Smart QB who will likely make fewer mistakes than most freshmen starting QBs.

I know there is more info for each QB and I have limited knowledge about them. So let me know what you think of the matchup with these 2 talented QBs. Let the best young man win!

WDE!!

Doc

another one of these? I am in. I think Bo will have more upside. Just my opinion but I think Gatewood would be more impactful with Gus. So I am hoping Gatewood now.

28 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Gus has a comfort zone. Gatewood is in it.

That's a great way to put it.

Reports out of the locker room suggest that he's also in his teammates' collective comfort zone. 

36 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Reports out of the locker room suggest that he's also in his teammates' collective comfort zone. 

This alone would be a huge improvement from 2018!

Just now, BigWhiskey91 said:

I know I'm being "that guy", but I voiced concerns about leadership from the QB position before the 2018 season and it seems the issues went deeper than I realized. Not a shot at JS necessarily. 

What I was wrong about- very very wrong- was writing Joey off. I'm putting salt, pepper and hot sauce on my crow as we speak. I'm prepared to love hating it. 

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I know I'm being "that guy", but I voiced concerns about leadership from the QB position before the 2018 season and it seems the issues went deeper than I realized. Not a shot at JS necessarily. 

What I was wrong about- very very wrong- was writing Joey off. I'm putting salt, pepper and hot sauce on my crow as we speak. I'm prepared to love hating it. 

I don’t think you’re being that guy for bringing that up. I think it was very much one of those things where if we were winning, nothing comes of it, but once the losses started piling up, it added to the problems. 

It blew my mind how Stidham and Slayton could never get in sync. It was like each game was the first time they were playing with each other. It was awesome to see them in sync in the bowl game but damn. Could’ve used a lot more of that before game 13 😂

1 hour ago, johnnyAU said:

Gatewood definitely showed some flashes in the bowl game. I'd like to see him using the full complement of tools and playbook. 

It depends if he can execute the passing plays in that playbook that will keep him the starter, or if we are ultra successful moving the ball on the ground w/ our RBs and option QB.

If Gatewood struggles in the passing game, and our offense sputters in the RZ, then Nix will get the chance fairly quickly, bc the playbook, in regards to passing plays, HAS to be thicker w/ more options w Nix, due to his passing experience in HS and being tutored by a QB HC...

5 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

It depends if he can execute the passing plays in that playbook that will keep him the starter, or if we are ultra successful moving the ball on the ground w/ our RBs and option QB.

If Gatewood struggles in the passing game, and our offense sputters in the RZ, then Nix will get the chance fairly quickly, bc the playbook, in regards to passing plays, HAS to be thicker w/ more options w Nix, due to his passing experience in HS and being tutored by a QB HC...

You would've thought the same about Stidham.

Dilly might be the X factor, though. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I know I'm being "that guy"...

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

What I was wrong about- very very wrong- was writing Joey off. I'm putting salt, pepper and hot sauce on my crow as we speak. I'm prepared to love hating it

👋 I see you.  I respect that.

2 hours ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Don’t know what it was about Stidham but he had something about him that was reminiscent of a checked-out professional free-agent.

Some players and coaches check out based on either being coached too hard or not seeing the reward in trying anymore, but with Stidham...he just felt like Hollywood to me. 

28 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Don’t know what it was about Stidham but he had something about him that was reminiscent of a checked-out professional free-agent.

Some players and coaches check out based on either being coached too hard or not seeing the reward in trying anymore, but with Stidham...he just felt like Hollywood to me. 

Well in the 2018 offseason, all the talks were on the changes to the offense and the freedoms that Stidham would have to check and make audibles. We saw several checks against Washington, but I honestly don’t remember anything in the second half or any game after. It’s like Gus/OC didn’t like the checks Stidham was making and killed it right there. I don’t remember his checks backfiring but maybe we missed out on a big play because he checked into a run? 

There is also comments about how some players weren’t impressed with his lack of commitment to the 2018 season during summer camp. Like not working with the WRs. That explain tha lack of being on the same page as the WRs. I’m sure the NFL hesitation after 2017 didn’t help either.

I liked Stidham and thought he had some big moments at Auburn. But man his career at Auburn peaked at UGA 1.0 and ironbowl in 2017. Didn’t really have any defining games after. Made some big throws against A&M to Seth but I feel like everything else was forgettable. 

Well, in reality, we don't know which QB will start the season. But here is my take.

CGM to QB2 -- You are gonna play. Be ready.

CGM to QB1 -- You are gonna play. Be ready.

Play them both until one proves himself ready.

As I stated earlier (and appears to be the general consensus) we have two really good QBs on this team.  It's too bad Joey isn't a RS Junior.

I just hope the offensive line has vastly improved from last year.  Otherwise, neither one of them will get to show their talents and quite possibly they will get hurt. 

People talk about JS "checking out" last year and I think there is a certain amount of truth to that.  But when you're a QB with NFL aspirations and your front line is simply not doing their job....well .... I think a bad attitude is likely to develop.  He probably just wanted the season to end and he was probably kicking himself for sticking around an extra year.

46 minutes ago, countoff said:

It's too bad Joey isn't a RS Junior.

It is? 

We've gotten worked up about backlogs at QB before and it's never actually been a problem. We have yet to have a single viable QB transfer out of this program. Bo knew the deal coming in. I love the idea, personally, of two full years of Joey and two (or even three! hah) full years of Bo. That's how it should be. 

6 hours ago, countoff said:

As I stated earlier (and appears to be the general consensus) we have two really good QBs on this team.  It's too bad Joey isn't a RS Junior.

I just hope the offensive line has vastly improved from last year.  Otherwise, neither one of them will get to show their talents and quite possibly they will get hurt. 

People talk about JS "checking out" last year and I think there is a certain amount of truth to that.  But when you're a QB with NFL aspirations and your front line is simply not doing their job....well .... I think a bad attitude is likely to develop.  He probably just wanted the season to end and he was probably kicking himself for sticking around an extra year.

Unfortunately, both of these scenarios played off of each other.   Chicken vs Egg...

The O-line may have not looked SO bad with a QB who helped them out.  ...and vice verse.

On 7/25/2019 at 3:25 PM, BigWhiskey91 said:

Well in the 2018 offseason, all the talks were on the changes to the offense and the freedoms that Stidham would have to check and make audibles. We saw several checks against Washington, but I honestly don’t remember anything in the second half or any game after. It’s like Gus/OC didn’t like the checks Stidham was making and killed it right there. I don’t remember his checks backfiring but maybe we missed out on a big play because he checked into a run? 

There is also comments about how some players weren’t impressed with his lack of commitment to the 2018 season during summer camp. Like not working with the WRs. That explain tha lack of being on the same page as the WRs. I’m sure the NFL hesitation after 2017 didn’t help either.

I liked Stidham and thought he had some big moments at Auburn. But man his career at Auburn peaked at UGA 1.0 and ironbowl in 2017. Didn’t really have any defining games after. Made some big throws against A&M to Seth but I feel like everything else was forgettable. 

Injuries to KJ and Pettway hurt Stidham's game. He is a great "piece" but can't put a team on his shoulders. Gus was forced to "open" him up against A&M and it paid off, mostly due to mixing up the route tree. That same game plan would've defeated LSU two years ago. I like Stidham but he's not the MAN but a very good piece.

I know this comparison is lightyears off at this point in terms of talent, but it seems like we have two options at QB: a Cam Newton comparison and someone who to me is more of a Baker Mayfield mold. Both would be a great option its just who fits better in the offense. Baker Mayfield would not put up stats like he did if he was in our offensive style. I think Bo is a special QB just don't know if he is in the right system. Hope I'm right though that we have two special players and Bo stays around long enough to start after Joey moves on. 

On 7/25/2019 at 2:05 PM, steeleagle said:

Not picking on you but I’m not sure why folks worry about JG’s passing game. He has done well with it. I think he has shown he is a good passer as well as runner. He is truely a dual threat QB no doubt in my mind. As I said before him and Bo both have the talent. What they lack is experience and the only way to get it is to play. They will both get better as this year goes forward. If they can get by the Ducks then they will have two games to work on getting up to speed.

Does anyone know if Jubinor has left the program or not? I thought he was entering the transfer portal, but was hoping he changed his mind and decided to stay with us.

WDE!

Doc

Archived