Fall Camp: Practice 1 Observations

leglessdan

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

Thanks for posting👍.............Look I gotta be honest QB race is too close........I'll make a decision based on who looks better with 5 o'clock shadow😂

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

👍I'll make a decision based on who looks better with 5 o'clock shadow😂

Thanks, Gene. 

:-X

32 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Wait, wait, wait.  Did I see our QBs take a snap from under center and practice a straight handoff?

Yeah it’s a muddle huddle play 

40 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

You know there are still downloadable current rosters, right? About this time every year I download the new rosters onto NCAA 14 and play a dynasty as Auburn. Google it. The amateur guys that create the rosters are even more detailed than the original EA games.

I don’t have the game anymore unfortunately. Still holding out hope. 

2 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Thought about @bigbird when I saw McClain on the first team.

Should have been at tight end ... 😁

4 hours ago, CR said:

Same here. This guy so looks the part, he is unbelievably huge and i think he could really help up front. Achilles problems on a big guy are not good though. Here's hoping.

Word is he would undoubtedly be the starter at DT opposite Derrick if he wasn't hurt. He's impressed from the little he's done.

Rewinding Gus Malzahn’s first fall camp press conference

Gus Malzahn recaps Auburn's first day of Fall Camp

0 shares

Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn spoke with the media following Auburn’s first practice of training camp. The quarterback battle was discussed, along with other position battles. The Tigers will practice 14 times over the next 17 days before the start of the semester, and have 30 days before the first game against Oregon.

Here’s what Malzahn had to say about his initial thoughts on Auburn’s practice. And you can follow along below for live updates.

Live Updates:

-- Malzahn said he liked the energy, but the players got tired at the end.

-- He said he had the focus on older guys early, and younger guys at the end.

-- Daquan Newkirk was out, Sammons and was out, Coynis Miller Jr. was out. Newkirk will be out for a while, Sammons out around the start of the season, same for Miller Jr.

-- Bo and Joey got all the reps with the 1s and 2s. Cord got reps with the No. 3s.

-- Malzahn said in the past, they took a while to install the offense. Today they did a lot, which is out of the norm.

-- “They’re desperate to win the job.” -- Malzahn on QBs.

-- DJ Williams is limited, he had a shoulder procedure. So was Jordyn Peters, James Owens Moss and Luke Deal.

-- Installing the offense early was a result of experience on the offense.

-- He said Zach Farrar looks like a veteran guy. He has been at four colleges now.

-- Malzahn said he liked the way Schwartz and Shivers looked coming off the track season in spring.

-- He said Bo and Joey seemed like they came out of the summer more mature.

-- With two DTs out, Malzahn said it’s allowed younger players an opportunity to play there.

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Malzahn said in the past, they took a while to install the offense. Today they did a lot, which is out of the norm.

Please tell me that this means the team will be ready day one instead of 4 games into the season.  Has Gus changed his tune and attitude going in?  Time will tell.

15 hours ago, bigbird said:

Nah...we have depth!

I am curious to see how Hamm develops at Tackle.  Seems to clearly be our 6th lineman at the moment.

6 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I am curious to see how Hamm develops at Tackle.  Seems to clearly be our 6th lineman at the moment.

We need him to. 

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Shivers is too good of a player to be relegated to 4th in the rotation. I hope we get to see him more this year. 

I don’t see him getting 20 carries in any major games this year. Agreed he should touch the ball 5-10 times a game he’s electric.

14 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Shivers is too good of a player to be relegated to 4th in the rotation. I hope we get to see him more this year. 

We will

8 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I don’t see him getting 20 carries in any major games this year. Agreed he should touch the ball 5-10 times a game he’s electric.

IMO 12+ true runs & ~3 passes

20 hours ago, Zeek said:

I absolutely love our running back group. If the NCAA video game was still around I would make sure all of them had 1,000 yards.

ACTUALLY, the folks at Operation Sports are currently working on the 2019 rosters.  Most teams are complete.  Free download because the NCAA 14 servers are still up.  Been going strong since 2013.  Never disappoint.

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

The rotation right now is meaningless. Not saying Worm is the man- okay, he totally is- but they do a LOT of mixing and matching at this stage. And if you see a real head scratcher with a big time player as far back as 4th in the rotation, it's either because the coaches feel like they know what he can do or he's in trouble.

Worm isn't in trouble.

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I see the RB group in the OP as an entity for the first time, as I admit this forum has become my only source. We got some hitters in there, but our recent history of selecting of 1's and 2's each fall gives me pause. I sure hope we get it right. I'm all in for worm.

17 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Wait, wait, wait.  Did I see our QBs take a snap from under center and practice a straight handoff?

17 hours ago, bigbird said:

Saw that too.

We all know if that happens in the game it's going to be a quick pitch to the outside. I must have called that play 10 times from my couch last season.

7 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

We all know if that happens in the game it's going to be a quick pitch to the outside. I must have called that play 10 times from my couch last season.

Love that sugar huddle as much as me, huh?

Archived