Coaching Candidates

AUght2win

This is not a flame-Gus thread. Take that elsewhere.

This discussion is predicated on a worst-case scenario coming true - we lose to LSU, UGA, and Bama, and Gus being let go. I want to discuss who's out there. Again, this is not about keeping or firing Gus. Not about his pros or cons. It's assuming it DOES happen, and this is about looking to the available coaches.

The argument I've heard for a while is that we don't want to be coach shopping this year, as there aren't any good candidates. I don't know if there's ever a GOOD time to be looking for a coach, but I assume people mean there aren't a ton of proven commodities. I'm not so sure this is true. Here are some current head coaching prospects:

• Bob Stoops, HC - Dallas Renegades (190-48) - the obvious leadoff batter in this discussion. All the rumors last year. He isn't done coaching. The guy is heading up an XFL team for Pete's sake. Also, the first words out of his mouth when explicitly asked if he would ever return to college football were, "Well, we'll see." 
  • PJ Fleck, HC - Minnesota (48-35) - this guy is a superstar in the making. He has Minnesota 6-0 in his third year at the school. If you're unfamiliar with Fleck's history, he is only 38 years old. He took his first head coaching job at Western Michigan when he was just 32. His first year he went 1-11. The next three years were all winning seasons, culminating in a 13-0 run to the Cotton Bowl and MAC title in 2016. It was the school's first CONFERENCE title since 1988! He's since gone to the perennially mediocre Minnesota and built them into a winner. He's got a ton of energy and confidence. Should be one of the first guys looked at.
  • Matt Campbell, HC - Iowa State (58-36) - Many will shudder at the prospects of a visit from the ghost of Christmas/Iowa State Past, but this guy is another young talent worth considering. Just 39, he's brought actual consistency to Iowa State. He's won two games against top 5 opponents, and developed guys into legit pro talent.
  • Bronco Mendenhall, HC - Virginia (119-67) - Really underrated coached. Has been a head coach for 15 seasons. Led BYU to a bowl each of his 11 seasons there. He beat teams like Oklahoma (ranked #3 at the time), Texas, Utah, Oregon, UCLA, Arizona, TCU, Boise State, Ole Miss, Washington, and other Power 5 teams. He's now building Virginia up after several years of being a doormat. Might be the safest bet in terms of getting an experienced winner. Would love to see what he'd do with real talent. 
  • Mark Stoops, HC - Kentucky (39-42) - if we don't get one Stoops, we might get Diet Stoops instead. I actually think Mark is a great head coach. He won SEC Coach of the Year last year with a 10 win season (only the third in Kentucky's history). He also has taken the cats to three straight bowls, which has only been done at UK by Rich Brooks and Bear Bryant. His teams always seem to be a tough out. He also has a Tuberville-like knack to find real talent. Josh Allen was a 2 star, and Benny Snell was a 3 star. This is another guy I'd like to see with real talent around him.
  • Bill Clark, HC - UAB (41-19 in college, 106-11 in high school) - I love this guy. He is a winner. Point blank. He is also the state of Alabama incarnate. Born and raised here. Coached high school ball across the state. Coached at Jacksonville State, South Alabama, and UAB. What he's done at UAB is truly remarkable. They went 11-3 last year, and are 5-1 this year. AT UAB! AFTER THE PROGRAM WAS SHUT DOWN FOR A YEAR! Probably my personal #1 candidate. 

Feel free to add or discuss more candidates. I stayed away from coordinators as candidates (as they are endless) and I also stayed away from guys who just don't seem keen on coming to the SEC (Leach, Gundy, Petersen, etc.). But you guys don't have to. List anyone you want!

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Way too early. Delete.

Does the topic upset you? Why does it have to be deleted? Everything I said was respectful and it's not supposed to be incendiary. If you don't like it, don't read it. Certainly don't respond to it. 

I don’t see any of those other than Big Game Bob I would consider a proven upgrade over our current HC. I do like Bill Clark a lot and think he would do well here. Not sure how much $$ we would want to spend to get him though. Could probably wait a couple years barring a complete disaster and still get him while saving a ton of dough. Homerun hire or nothing. 

I’ll also add that barring a complete nose dive, we aren’t changing coaches after this season. These things are still fun to discuss though and there a always an abundance of similar threads to rummage through. 

wqeweq.jpg

2 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

What about Dan Quinn? Take a chance on Urban or Sark?

Again if Bob was so good he’d still be at Oklahoma 

Brother. I love ya. You know that. We have had some good times here. You are the fam AND brodie. BUT THIS IS one of the most egregious takes I have ever seen on here. You are better than this. Stoops had 12 ten win seasons in 16 seasons at Boomer. He went 11-2 and won the sugar his final season there. He was not forced out at all. 

A) Losing to LSU/UGA/UA is not "worst case scenario". Losing to those plus Arky and Ole Miss is worse case. You can't say "worst case" when two of the teams are literally 1/2 in the polls. I hate losing, and I hate losing to those teams even more than normal, but let's have some perspective here.

B ) Lolol "Diet Stoops"

C) I'm not overwhelmed by the choices. I like Matt Campbell the most, but I don't know if anyone is going to pry him away from Iowa State. I just get a weird feeling he's going to be Bill Snyder there or something. No evidence for it, but if he's smart, he will stay. Give him a few more years and he's going to be challenging for the Big 12 title year in and year out, and doing it at a place where there's not a lot of pressure or history.

22 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

A) Losing to LSU/UGA/UA is not "worst case scenario". Losing to those plus Arky and Ole Miss is worse case. You can't say "worst case" when two of the teams are literally 1/2 in the polls. I hate losing, and I hate losing to those teams even more than normal, but let's have some perspective here.

B ) Lolol "Diet Stoops"

C) I'm not overwhelmed by the choices. I like Matt Campbell the most, but I don't know if anyone is going to pry him away from Iowa State. I just get a weird feeling he's going to be Bill Snyder there or something. No evidence for it, but if he's smart, he will stay. Give him a few more years and he's going to be challenging for the Big 12 title year in and year out, and doing it at a place where there's not a lot of pressure or history.

Regardless it isn't worth discussing the how/why we would be looking for a coach. This thread is just assuming we are. I don't think losing to OM and Ark are possible for us, but if we do, we will most certainly be hiring.

13 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Brother. I love ya. You know that. We have had some good times here. You are the fam AND brodie. BUT THIS IS one of the most egregious takes I have ever seen on here. You are better than this. Stoops had 12 ten win seasons in 16 seasons at Boomer. He went 11-2 and won the sugar his final season there. He was not forced out at all. 

Then why isn’t he coaching at Oklahoma? As soon as he left it was obvious he was wanting to get back into coaching, so much so that he is coaching in the XFL. Big Game coached against average at best competition and usually lost the big game. He would not be successful going against an SEC schedule and weekly “big games”. Auburn is the toughest job in the country, I believe. To our left and right is our biggest rivals and two power house programs. Big Game Bob would be lucky to get 7 or 8 wins at Auburn. We play great competition on a regular basis. I don’t hate Bob, surely we could do worse but do I believe we are overvaluing him? Certainly. Do I think he could be our Saban? Hell no.

While I think the thread may be premature, I appreciate the civility presented. 

None of the options excite me outside of maybe Fleck. I still like the idea of Hugh Freeze. Keep him on a tight leash. Tell him he's not allowed to cheat or use a burner ohone. He can whip Tricky Nicky. 

I'm a big Bill Clark fan, but not sure how he would do in the SEC West, but that's true for like 99.9% of coaches. 

2 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Then why isn’t he coaching at Oklahoma? As soon as he left it was obvious he was wanting to get back into coaching, so much so that he is coaching in the XFL. Big Game coached against average at best competition and usually lost the big game. He would not be successful going against an SEC schedule and weekly “big games”. Auburn is the toughest job in the country, I believe. To our left and right is our biggest rivals and two power house programs. Big Game Bob would be lucky to get 7 or 8 wins at Auburn. We play great competition on a regular basis. I don’t hate Bob, surely we could do worse but do I believe we are overvaluing him? Certainly. Do I think he could be our Saban? Hell no.

I don't disagree.  IMO, "Big Game" Bob earned his nickname.  Frankly he's just as much of a gamble as anybody.  Honestly, I'm much more impressed with what his brother has done at Kentucky than what he did at Oklahoma.  ...and I'm not saying I want him either, but it would be an intriguing hire.  

It's been said before, but I'll say it again: losing to #1, #2, and a top 10 Georgia is not worst case scenario.

Now losing in ways that we've lost before with Gus, while frustrating, does not mean he should lose his job. I'm being 10000% serious here when I say there is no upgrade/home run hire compared to Gus that's currently available or currently coaching at a lower tier school. I think we have to let this play out with Gus. Another ridiculous coaching decision makes us look terrible in the eyes of the coaching ranks and it would be hard to hire.

But I've said all of that before and it has been poorly received here.

8 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

As soon as he left!? Lol this is Lincoln Riley third season at Oklahoma. Isn't he just the gm of a XFL team? Ok wow. Lucky to win 7 or 8 games at Auburn? Lol you are clearly biased against him. so out at that. Dude would easily be the best coach we have ever hired. I would wish you a good evening but it would be a lie......

1. Urban Meyer

2. Bob stoops 

3. Mario Cristobal

4. Brent Venables 

5. Matt Campbell 

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

As soon as he left!? Lol this is Lincoln Riley third season at Oklahoma. Isn't he just the gm of a XFL team? Ok wow. Lucky to win 7 or 8 games at Auburn? Lol you are clearly biased against him. so out at that. Dude would easily be the best coach we have ever hired. I would wish you a good evening but it would be a lie......

Ha, that’s pretty funny 

This topic is kinda like "respectfully" discussing the details of how to  handle your parents future death with your siblings. The timing sucks, it's creepy and your siblings will give you the are you stupid look.

1 minute ago, creed said:

This topic is kinda like "respectfully" discussing the details of how to  handle your parents future death with your siblings. The timing sucks, it's creepy and your siblings will give you the are you stupid look.

Yeah, totally as serious as discussing your parents' death. Great comparison!

Lose to all three and Gus will still be HC in 2020. 

Matt Rhule has something cooking if you look at the rebuilding angle:

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs
Temple Owls (American Athletic Conference) (2013–2016)
2013 Temple 2–10 1–7 T–9th  
2014 Temple 6–6 4–4 6th  
2015 Temple 10–4 7–1 1st (East) L Boca Raton
2016 Temple 10–3 7–1 1st (East) Military*
Temple: 28–23 19–13 * Departed Temple for Baylor before bowl game
Baylor Bears (Big 12 Conference) (2017–present)
2017 Baylor 1–11 1–8 9th  
2018 Baylor 7–6 4–5 T–5th W Texas
2019 Baylor 6–0 3–0    
Baylor: 14–17 8–13  
Total: 42–40

Any school looking for a new coach should have Bill Clark on the list. Wins at UAB, program shuts down, rebuilds program from ground up, and goes bowling first year back. Follows with 11 wins, then loses 30 seniors, and is 5-1 again. Also ignited significant faculty upgrades. He doesn’t rely on a particular scheme, or franchise players. Just knows how to build and run a top notch program. Impressive guy. 

Archived