DB coach

auburn4ever

14 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Yes our DBs were so bad that one of them even made All SEC. 😂 Folks our DBs do a good job. In today’s RPO type offenses playing DB is a tough business. The PI calls by refs as Mr. Bird has commented on many times are almost ridiculous. The DB has to play with his hands tied behind his back. So much illegal picks and things of that nature that offenses get away with. I would truely rank our DBs this year in the top twenty in the country maybe even the top ten. They went against some great QBs and great receivers .  Try and remember we did play against 5 of the top 13 teams in the country. SMH

They've also removed about a foot of receiver that you're allowed to hit when you tackle. And I fully support that, but it does make *all* defenders' jobs harder. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Carnell said:

You look at one point in time and determine we played good defensively but I look to the future and determine if that performance is conducive to winning in the future.  For instance you stated that we held LSU to 23 and defense scored 14 against Bama.  We gave up over 500 yards to both teams.  This is not conducive to holding LSU to 23 in the future.  When they keep driving deep into your territory they are eventually going to score instead of turning the ball over 3 times without a score.  In addition, are you implying that you are expecting our defense to score 14 on Alabama every time we play them if not then for us to have a chance is going to require another strategy.  Since these strategies of hoping and praying that we score 14 on Bama to win and letting LSU run up and down the field on us and we will hold them to 23 every time is asinine.  The strategy I suggested of eliminating the YACs is precisely what is needed.  By that you make them go the long way hopefully making a mistake a turnover a penalty or something.  And by going the long way we have a a greater chance to force third down and get off the field.

I dont know where you got the thinking that I believe we are going to shut them all down because I said we have to eliminate the YACs which would indicate our opponent is catching the ball and moving the ball so how that translates to shutting them down I dont know.  

And you may call me mentally ill but I have enough sense to look at our defensive performance and determine if it will be adequate in the future instead of looking at it at point in time.

Actually, Steele's defense has kept many teams off the scoreboard while giving up a lot of yardage. The MSU game last year is a good example. 

16 hours ago, Carnell said:

I agree that some YACs are unavoidable for instance if the receiver gets behind the db the the db will not catch the receiver.  However, the majority of YACs by Alabama could have been stopped.  Most of Alabamas came by the short passing game.  For instance, the TD that Waddle scored right before half was due to safety not leveraging the middle of the field not Waddle making some move.  An error on our part.  The majority of Bamas short passing game the YACs can be significantly minimized if defense leverages properly, take proper angles to the receiver and tackles properly.

My math is probably fuzzy but please explain how when you have 3 super fast WRs you expect to double team each of them, because that is what you would need to do. You either back off and give them the underneath and then try and tackle them or you play them close and risk getting the top took off. Actually Kevin makes the call not the DB coach. Kevin likes to keep thing in front of the DBs . And as long as Kevin is calling the D I’m quite happy to accept his unquestionable successful ability to coach defenses. The guy is probably the best in the business. Just saying. 

19 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

After watching them the past 2 to 3 years, we need someone who can coach the DB's from getting burned on every pass play.

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Agree.

LSU had a Heisman to win. 

Kinda like bama had a playoff spot to nail down I guess...

But LSU still had / has not back-up if needed.   BUT I'm pretty sure they will have no trouble finding another transfer who can play immediately.  For example, I saw yesterday that Boston College's QB is in the portal....has some good passing stats on a poor team....bet he has already let LSU know he's available....

2 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Kevin likes to keep thing in front of the DBs .

Been doing that at AU for a number of years and mostly it works......he figures he can stop the opponents when the field gets smaller and he has a pretty good record in the red zone.  Unfortunately,  he could not prevent bama receivers from shaking off our DBs for some breakaways.....but those receivers are/were special.   As noted....hope we don't see them again....or at least not all of them at the same time. 

On 12/8/2019 at 4:56 PM, auburn4ever said:

For the past few years, our defensive backfield has been very leaky. Who's been coaching our DB's?

Get out of here with that weak sauce...

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611ed49e8315af2bf2a4a

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

After watching them the past 2 to 3 years, we need someone who can coach the DB's from getting burned on every pass play.

Then you clearly haven't watched the past 2 or 3 years. Bama is just about the only team that has really torched us, especially this year. Sure we give up yards in some games but most teams do, especially in today's wide open offensive world. Bottom line though is we don't often give up many points even through the passing game.

37 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Then you clearly haven't watched the past 2 or 3 years. Bama is just about the only team that has really torched us, especially this year. Sure we give up yards in some games but most teams do, especially in today's wide open offensive world. Bottom line though is we don't often give up many points even through the passing game.

Bama also is probably going to put 3 of the 4 WR's in the 1st round. And Waddle would be to if he was eligible.

We’ve been no worse than #19 in the country in scoring defense the last four years. The defense hasn’t been the problem in just about any loss we’ve had. Offensive ineptitude has been the culprit despite this seeming perception that our DBs are mediocre 

8 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Yes our DBs were so bad that one of them even made All SEC. 😂 Folks our DBs do a good job. In today’s RPO type offenses playing DB is a tough business. The PI calls by refs as Mr. Bird has commented on many times are almost ridiculous. The DB has to play with his hands tied behind his back. So much illegal picks and things of that nature that offenses get away with. I would truely rank our DBs this year in the top twenty in the country maybe even the top ten. They went against some great QBs and great receivers .  Try and remember we did play against 5 of the top 13 teams in the country. SMH

Let me fix it for u bradtx! All good teams we play dbs had no problem running with seth & flash cause they didn’t get behind any dbs also who is faster waddle or flash?

19 minutes ago, Lambo J said:

They had to play us to and they dbs jus stop us we didn’t score long td on any good team. & who faster flash or waddle?

It's hard to tell because this isn't even close to English or any known language, but did you really just ask if Waddle was faster than the dude who broke a world record held by Usain Bolt?

7 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Show me a shutdown defense this year in the SEC please. There were none . Uga was probably the best statistical but they played a weaker SEC east this year.  Most all pundits out there raved that Auburn was probably the best defense in the country. 4 made first or second team all SEC. 

Again I never said anything about a shutdown defense.  I am saying to make offenses drive it the long way by reducing YACs.  By going the long way you have a chance to get off the field by forcing 3rd downs, turnovers and penalties.  Thank goodness bama got penalties in the game anyway.  

I know those receivers are talented but if our dbs are as good as people say they should  certainly minimize YACs.  I am not asking for perfection I know there will be mixed tackles and not properly leveraging but a good defense will minimize errors reducing YACs.

7 minutes ago, Carnell said:

Again I never said anything about a shutdown defense.  I am saying to make offenses drive it the long way by reducing YACs.  By going the long way you have a chance to get off the field by forcing 3rd downs, turnovers and penalties.  Thank goodness bama got penalties in the game anyway.  

I know those receivers are talented but if our dbs are as good as people say they should  certainly minimize YACs.  I am not asking for perfection I know there will be mixed tackles and not properly leveraging but a good defense will minimize errors reducing YACs.

You didn't watch much AU football this year, did you?  Best tackling team we've fielded in a long time, especially in the open field.

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

It's hard to tell because this isn't even close to English or any known language, but did you really just ask if Waddle was faster than the dude who broke a world record held by Usain Bolt?

I don’t give a f***k about the English lesson but what good team or player he ran away from & waddle did it ever time he touched the ball against us. Is ever opponent dbs Usain bolt or jus our dbs slow like the fl slant for td or ga over the top on the 1st drive or the waddle game but y is his affect different on the game vs flash

7 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

My math is probably fuzzy but please explain how when you have 3 super fast WRs you expect to double team each of them, because that is what you would need to do. You either back off and give them the underneath and then try and tackle them or you play them close and risk getting the top took off. Actually Kevin makes the call not the DB coach. Kevin likes to keep thing in front of the DBs . And as long as Kevin is calling the D I’m quite happy to accept his unquestionable successful ability to coach defenses. The guy is probably the best in the business. Just saying. 

Exactly what I am talking about.  Let them catch the ball in front and make the tackle but bama shot that strategy to hell with the YACs they were getting.   So if you are going to run that strategy you better make sure the dbs limit the YACs.   You dont have to double cover but when the ball is in the air peel off your reciever and properly leverage the lanes not allowing the receiver an escape.  For instance the TD pass to Waddle before half is a prime example.  The safety peel off of his man to blanket Waddle.  The corner had the outside and the safety had the inside.  His mistake was he went to far to the outside and allowed Waddle to escape back to the middle but if it had been played correctly YAC would be minimal.

5 minutes ago, Lambo J said:

I don’t give a f***k about the English lesson but what good team or player he ran away from & waddle did it ever time he touched the ball against us. Is ever opponent dbs Usain bolt or jus our dbs slow like the fl slant for td or ga over the top on the 1st drive or the waddle game but y is his affect different on the game vs flash

tenor.gif

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

tenor.gif

I would like to answer him, but I literally have no idea what he's talking about.  I've read it three times and it makes no sense.

25 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Bolt and Flash were running in a straight line....JMO but if I had one really good DB between either of them and the goal line I'd rather have the ball in Waddle's hands.  But I would not trade our guy for him as far as overall play. 

PS...I would not want to be the DB in either case...:)

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

I would like to answer him, but I literally have no idea what he's talking about.  I've read it three times and it makes no sense.

Take three shots of you choice, spin 7 times, take if your left shoe, close your left eye, and squint your right. I'm not saying it'll help but that's how I have found it best to read A4E's.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

tenor.gif

Lol it’s not like that he was right but I’m jus at work kinda talking to the board in txt mode wasn’t in the mood too to be corrected by the smartest person in the room when he could’ve jus address the point I was trying to make instead keyboard whip me🤦🏾‍♂️

6 minutes ago, Lambo J said:

Lol it’s not like that he was right but I’m jus at work kinda talking to the board in txt mode wasn’t in the mood too to be corrected by the smartest person in the room when he could’ve jus address the point I was trying to make instead keyboard whip me🤦🏾‍♂️

Dude, I WANT to address the point.  I literally can't understand the point you are trying to make because it reads like pure mountain jibberish.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Dude, I WANT to address the point.  I literally can't understand the point you are trying to make because it reads like pure mountain jibberish.

I edited for you 

10 minutes ago, Lambo J said:

I edited for you 

Sweet.  Here's your answer.  The defensive schemes are different.  Bama for example has 4 guys who can beat you deep.  We don't.  Comparing just Waddle to Flash isn't taking into account how the defenses are trying to stop them.

For example, in the Florida game UF bracketed Flash.  They played the CB off by 10 yards and then rolled a safety over the top of him 20 yards deep.  So essentially the guy had to beat double coverage where the defenders had pretty solid head starts on him.  Not gonna beat a guy deep that way.  Also hard to catch and run for long distances when guys are playing so far back.  

Meanwhile, because Bama has four legit threats at WR, you play pick your poison.  Doubling up on Waddle doesn't make sense because then you are leaving any one of the other three options in an advantageous situation of 1:1 coverage.

But if you're looking at straight speed, it's undeniably Flash.  He's legitimately one of the fastest humans on the planet.

Archived