It might be the most Auburn Basketball thing ever

tigerbrotha12

... that just when we seem to be getting in on these highly elite players, a random travel league academy is just "created" that can pay them more money to go pro than before.

Bruce has changed the culture, and I am so happy about that, but this is so frustrating that just when we get to the top, the top gets a swift kick in the rear. 

Small rant over.

17 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

... that just when we seem to be getting in on these highly elite players, a random travel league academy is just "created" that can pay them more money to go pro than before.

Bruce has changed the culture, and I am so happy about that, but this is so frustrating that just when we get to the top, the top gets a swift kick in the rear. 

Small rant over.

But doesn't this affect all teams equally? At least all teams that recruit at a high level? 

Side thought: I wonder if they can implement a stipulation that recruits have to go G league earlier so that schools don't have to waste time recruiting them. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

But doesn't this affect all teams equally? At least all teams that recruit at a high level? 

Side thought: I wonder if they can implement a stipulation that recruits have to go G league earlier so that schools don't have to waste time recruiting them. 

Its hard to tie it to an earlier date. The G league starts in late fall and the season runs I think Nov - January? So how can you make a kid decide in the fall when he hasn't even really finished his HS playing time. 

The NCAA has no clout here. ANd this is just another way to skirt the requirement to play at least 1 year of college. The NBA would love to get rid of it. 

I can see it getting even worse. This is just 1 team, an elite team picked, and will only play so many G league teams. COlleges are now competing w/ this new developmental G league AND the NBL. 

Looks like NCAA is in danger of reaping what it sowed if they don't think of something.....I love it. I'm with you though it does sucks that it was one of our big time recruits, and Lord knows we need a huge talent upgrade with guards

45 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Looks like NCAA is in danger of reaping what it sowed if they don't think of something.....I love it. I'm with you though it does sucks that it was one of our big time recruits, and Lord knows we need a huge talent upgrade with guards

Glad to see you posting. Hope you're doing well.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I’ve been looking forward to you chiming in. Good to hear from you. 

College will have to find a way to get the nba to want to Have these kids go to college.  Whether that is use ESPN as an arbitrator or let these kids get drafted and then play some college ball ... or some other crazy off the wall idea.

regardless, kids can always bail on college at any time in favor of the pro paycheck.

5 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

College will have to find a way to get the nba to want to Have these kids go to college.  Whether that is use ESPN as an arbitrator or let these kids get drafted and then play some college ball ... or some other crazy off the wall idea.

No they don't. Just let them go to the NBA if they want. The college game will then be better because the kids who go to college will stay longer & thus the play will be better.

On 4/16/2020 at 6:09 PM, ellitor said:

Glad to see you posting. Hope you're doing well.

Thanks E. Hope everything is well with you bro!

On 4/16/2020 at 6:48 PM, AUBwins said:

I’ve been looking forward to you chiming in. Good to hear from you. 

Thanks boss, good to see you're still adding to the board bro

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Thanks boss, good to see you're still adding to the board bro

And sticking around a little longer to follow up this time lol

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Thanks E. Hope everything is well with you bro!

Yes things are going well. Don’t know if you saw it while you weren’t posting but my mom picked up the virus. She recovered though so that’s great!

I just hope that these future announcements to the NBADL are represented as such.  Announce a time that you are gonna go pro and have a press conference with your family, friends and local reporters.  

If you are going to college have a traditional or whatever type of announcement about your decision.

There really is no value in stringing along a fanbase, coaching staff and beat writers when you are announcing that you are going professional.

17 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yes things are going well. Don’t know if you saw it while you weren’t posting but my mom picked up the virus. She recovered though so that’s great!

No I didn't see that but I'm super happy she's recovered and is ok. I know that has to be a bunch of stress off your mind. I definitely will celebrate that win with you bro, that's a big one!

15 minutes ago, cole256 said:

No I didn't see that but I'm super happy she's recovered and is ok. I know that has to be a bunch of stress off your mind. I definitely will celebrate that win with you bro, that's a big one!

Thanks bro! How are things going your way?

15 hours ago, auburnphan said:

I just hope that these future announcements to the NBADL are represented as such.  Announce a time that you are gonna go pro and have a press conference with your family, friends and local reporters.  

If you are going to college have a traditional or whatever type of announcement about your decision.

There really is no value in stringing along a fanbase, coaching staff and beat writers when you are announcing that you are going professional.

It appears to me the g-league/nba was changing/evolving as the weeks moved along ... also I would assume the possibility of college was a negotiation tactic.  
colleges are in the weak position here with zero leverage.  Kid can sign a scholly and still go pro weeks or months later.

the NCAA/colleges really have 3 options that I can see ... conform to the new reality, somehow negotiate with someone who can convince the pros they would benefit if these kids went to college a couple years and my third crazy idea ...

Force the kids to decide their future earlier - at least the elite kids.  The NCAA could, if they wanted, make kids who play AAU ball ineligible for college scholarships.  That would force kids to make a decision between AAU and high school.  The majority of kids opting not to play AAU will see their game stunted a couple years so that their biggest improvement happens in college.  Just a crazy thought. 

fwiw ... I’m a college sports fan.  I like amateur athletics far far more than pros.  I wouldn’t blink if all pro sports disappeared.  That is where I’m coming from.  I don’t begrudge anyone making money from their abilities based on the existing situation. 

6 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

I wouldn’t blink if all pro sports disappeared.

As long as you don't mind a truly massive drop in the level of athleticism in college sports. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

As long as you don't mind a truly massive drop in the level of athleticism in college sports. 

I’m actually ok with that.  I know I may be on an island with that thought, but the imperfections of amateurs is one of the reasons I like it so much.  There are more opportunities for the “try-hard” types to have their moments.  Some of the stories become more interesting to me.  I think that is part of the reason I like the olympics.  People who are doing something for the love of it as much or more than a payday.  (i know there are pros, money and exceptions in the olympics) ...

but Athletics to become educated or personally fulfilled ... I’d rather have less quality and more of this.

2 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I’m actually ok with that.  I know I may be on an island with that thought, but the imperfections of amateurs is one of the reasons I like it so much.  There are more opportunities for the “try-hard” types to have their moments.  Some of the stories become more interesting to me.  I think that is part of the reason I like the olympics.  People who are doing something for the love of it as much or more than a payday.  (i know there are pros, money and exceptions in the olympics) ...

but Athletics to become educated or personally fulfilled ... I’d rather have less quality and more of this.

As long as you're good with that- and the possibility that TV and internet coverage drops significantly- then I have no argument. :thumbsup:

• WarTiger changed the title to It might be the most Auburn Basketball thing ever
On 4/20/2020 at 1:48 PM, ellitor said:

Thanks bro! How are things going your way?

Can't complain man, made a big move to Texas for work and just getting acclimated to that and the new job

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Can't complain man, made a big move to Texas for work and just getting acclimated to that and the new job

Congrats on the job and the move! I hear there’s a big 8 foot yellow bird in Texas to be Leary of. LOL

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

Congrats on the job and the move! I hear there’s a big 8 foot yellow bird in Texas to be Leary of. LOL

Texas ain't big enough for bird and cole....one has gone to go......................................

12 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Texas ain't big enough for bird and cole....one has gone to go......................................

Got a pretty good guess on which one would leave more room.

Big bird sesame street the west wing GIF - Find on GIFER

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Got a pretty good guess on which one would leave more room.

Big bird sesame street the west wing GIF - Find on GIFER

Is that a fat joke...

Archived