Should there be a quarterback change?

shabby

If you put a different QB behind the same O line and with the same coaching staff you will not accomplish anything.  Chad/Gus have made a mess of this offense and the defense is not helping.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I think that he'd be coached to do whatever Gus wants, which has more than been proven to be ineffective

So just no hope til Gus is gone, right?

59 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

If you put a different QB behind the same O line and with the same coaching staff you will not accomplish anything.  Chad/Gus have made a mess of this offense and the defense is not helping.

You are potentially correct, but another QB may not make bad decisions when he has to avoid the pass rush. If I recall correctly, two of Bo's picks today came while scrambling out of the pocket. A sack would've been beneficial for us in those circumstances.

Would the other QB still be hamstring due to coaching and OL inconsistencies? Of course, but if he had good decision making abilities, he would have given us the edge today. 

A sack also would've helped us on the intentional grounding at the end. All of those decisions were on Bo, not Gus or the OL. 

Bo showed a side of himself today that I didn’t expect from him.  I don’t know that it’s true but it seemed as if he wasn’t owning his mistakes and was quick to point the blame elsewhere.  Am I the only one who got that vibe?  I thought he was more of a humble person.  

3 hours ago, WarDamnDoc said:

We've done this song and dance too many times under Gus, going back to Jeremy Johnson.  We know how it ends.  At best, the backup does roughly the same as the starter.  At best. 

Bo isn't perfect, but the offensive system is the bigger problem.

Normally I agree about offensive system. But today I saw slants and passes over the middle. I also saw decent but not great protection from O-Line where if QB had stayed in pocket and stepped up he had open receivers. Still minimal use of TE's. I saw one TE make a catch on bad throw I think it was Deal.

But to the question asked should we start a different QB. The answer is yes as I put this loss squarely on NIx. If he just game managed we win this game. 21 of SC points came after turn overs.

1 hour ago, weagl1 said:

The Oline played great tonight. play calling gave Nix lots of easy throws to make. Nix was the problem tonight. 

Nix should have been benched after the 3rd INT! Gus made a major mistake by not pulling him for at least one series or more. The body language from the players on the sidelines told where the team is now, after the 3rd INT. 

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Normally I agree about offensive system. But today I saw slants and passes over the middle. I also saw decent but not great protection from O-Line where if QB had stayed in pocket and stepped up he had open receivers. Still minimal use of TE's. I saw one TE make a catch on bad throw I think it was Deal.

But to the question asked should we start a different QB. The answer is yes as I put this loss squarely on NIx. If he just game managed we win this game. 21 of SC points came after turn overs.

We should go back to ground and pound read option.  Nix isn’t handling our borderline air raid system well at all.  We got a stud in tank so we should feed him often and play action off of it.... Nix has performed well below the expectations that I had.  

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Spencer rattler got bench so absolutely. Nobody should be above it. And if WRs can’t start making catches and giving 100 percent effort they should be benched too.

This . Gus is too damn stubborn to try it . Loy was a solid runner if anything . It’s worth a try for sure 

If you look at this team objectively, it's not that hard to beat our offense. We barely run the ball, so in turn there is really only 2 options for the defense to contend with. All you have to do is bracket Seth Williams because Bo doesn't look at anyone else. Also the offense seems very Cam Newton esc with all the one read and go's. So with no running threat and only one receiver targeted past the LOS, the questions flips from a Nix problem to whether or not the offense is even salvageable. While QB may seem like the problem, the offense is stuck in 2012. Whose fault it lies with remains to be seen because it seems a combo of scheme and QB limitations.

13 hours ago, TNCANEMAN said:

If you look at this team objectively, it's not that hard to beat our offense. We barely run the ball, so in turn there is really only 2 options for the defense to contend with. All you have to do is bracket Seth Williams because Bo doesn't look at anyone else. Also the offense seems very Cam Newton esc with all the one read and go's. So with no running threat and only one receiver targeted past the LOS, the questions flips from a Nix problem to whether or not the offense is even salvageable. While QB may seem like the problem, the offense is stuck in 2012. Whose fault it lies with remains to be seen because it seems a combo of scheme and QB limitations.

Our QB threw to 7 different receivers in the first quarter vs South Carolina. 

On 10/17/2020 at 4:40 PM, AuburnEagle79 said:

Take away last year's Iron Bowl. If Jeremy Johnson had played like Bo Nix has this season, would he get benched? The answer is obvious, but there are a few factors that Bo has going on his favor that Jeremy didn't, and none of them have to do with what goes on inside the lines. 

Dude JJ was much much much worse with a smaller sample size.  I’m referring to inside the lines.  

11 minutes ago, Amwest20 said:

Dude JJ was much much much worse with a smaller sample size.  I’m referring to inside the lines.  

That's not true at all. Just look at the stats. JJ just got the unfortunate auburn myth of being horrible like Thorpe and a few others did. JJ really has just one bad game and it was over

15 minutes ago, Amwest20 said:

Whatever you do, do not talk bad about JJ. This thread will crash. 

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

Whatever you do, do not talk bad about JJ. This thread will crash. 

Nah it survived Bo it will survive anything

23 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That's not true at all. Just look at the stats. JJ just got the unfortunate auburn myth of being horrible like Thorpe and a few others did. JJ really has just one bad game and it was over

Oh ok stats are the metric.  So Costello is the best qb in the SEC this year.  I gotcha sorry I was using a totally different metric. 

6 minutes ago, Amwest20 said:

Oh ok stats are the metric.  So Costello is the best qb in the SEC this year.  I gotcha sorry I was using a totally different metric. 

Lol what? 👌🏿

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Lol what? 👌🏿

I mean should I copy and paste my response?  Not sure how else to answer your accusation of me not being truthful.  JJ much be a touch subject as somebody already noted... waste of topic anyway.  

1 minute ago, Amwest20 said:

I mean should I copy and paste my response?  Not sure how else to answer your accusation of me not being truthful.  JJ much be a touch subject as somebody already noted... waste of topic anyway.  

Nah you shouldn't do anything but keep posting those great responses you do. Most people on here just post about qb play and don't know what they are saying anyway, what's one more person, whatever metric you'd like to make up is good here I'm sure

Archived