Auburn closing in on Bryan Harsin

Tony4AU

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Chizik was a dynamite recruiter and DC that coached on two national championship teams, had ties to Auburn, and knew the dynamic here well. 

Malzahn was an OC for 2 SEC schools, and was at the time considered one of the better offensive minds in football.

This guy has pretty much no Power 5 experience and no SEC experience. He’s been a head coach in a really bad conference, and has led Boise  to the worst win percentage by a head coach they’ve seen since the 90’s.

LOL. 64-17. You're right they should have higher standards. Give me a break. AG stuck it to everyone and went and got another outsider. 

13 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I just talked to a neighbor who works in the President's office. Harsin is our new  coach. Press Conf. tomorrow. Freeze was offered again but turned it down at 3pm today, Harsin became 8th choice.

Fixed that for ya.

1 minute ago, e808 said:

Not a good hire. He wont be able to recruit. Boise State is the cream of the crop in the mountain west and will always be hard to beat. However, Boise State just got waxed by San Jose State. I give will give him 3 to 5 years. Boise State beating Florida State means nothing. They are horrendous right now. I am on the west coast and have watched a lot of Boise football. Mountain West and SEC is like night and day. He was good at Boise but not Chris Peterson good. 

Hey troll. These are for you 

image.gif

Some of y'all are crapping on this guy without knowing a damn thing.

Harsin has a winning record vs Power 5 opponents while at Boise (7-6).  Dude is taking a bunch of 2 and 3 star recruits and beating Power 5 teams across the country.  Yet some of y'all think he's not good enough?  GTFOH

2 minutes ago, Taco said:

And this has been said already. He’s the most accomplished HC Auburn has hired. 

Understand y'all keep trying to say this to spin some sort of positive here, but no. He's been slaughtering lambs at a long successful mid-major built by Chris Petersen.

This may work out and I'm fully behind him come hell or high water, but there's little to he excited about here. This is an underwhelming hire. 

Sec west head coaches. 

Alabama- nick Saban 

Arkansas- Sam Pittman 

Texas am- jimbo fisher 

Lsu- ed orgeron [has a national title]

Auburn-... Bryan Harsin 

Mississippi state- Mike leach 

Ole miss- lane kiffin 

If I was a recruit, no way would I choose auburn over any of those schools. Maybe Arkansas, we are the laughing stock of the SEC. Pathetic 

Just now, Taco said:

He’s no different than Napier or Clark or whatever. He’s won at Boise after they moved to a tougher conference. 

for everyone’s fascination with Napier and his recruiting. CBH has recruited around the mid 50s-mid 60s every year. And has never not led the MWC in classes. 

Plus it looks like his time in Texas wasn’t fruitless as he looks like he has a solid pipeline there. 

If you also watch his interviews he’s doesn’t seem like the most approachable but he’s a no non-sense type which I personally welcome

And this has been said already. He’s the most accomplished HC Auburn has hired. 

You are using the wrong info to convince me. I thought Napier and Clark were risky, unimpressive hires. The difference between them though...

1. Napier and Clark built programs that were historically bad, while Harsin has actually had the worst record at Boise of any of their recent coaches. It isn’t hard to win to the level he has at Boise. 

2. Recruiting... Clark knows a lot of the high school head coaches in Alabama, and is well connected. His ability to recruit is believed to be a contributor to the Alabama board of trustees’ decision to end the football program. Napier spent time on Saban’s staff, and is also believed to be a good recruiter. Both of these have also recruited in Alabama and Georgia before. 

Looks to be a solid coach and good recruiter. I don't think he's coming in to rest on his laurels which I appreciate. Dog-eat-dog in the SEC West so as long as he puts his big boy pants on we will be fine.

2 minutes ago, e808 said:

Not a good hire. He wont be able to recruit. Boise State is the cream of the crop in the mountain west and will always be hard to beat. However, Boise State just got waxed by San Jose State. I give will give him 3 to 5 years. Boise State beating Florida State means nothing. They are horrendous right now. I am on the west coast and have watched a lot of Boise football. Mountain West and SEC is like night and day. He was good at Boise but not Chris Peterson good. 

I suppose we’ll see, guy who joined 10 minutes ago

Look at it this way.

- The people who were in charge clearly wanted Steele and lost. Steele would have probably made a decent coach, but he is older.

- Many of you said you wanted a fresh start. One way or another, you got one.

- Perhaps Harsin plans on bringing in a cracker-jack at defensive coordinator -- Will Muschamp on rehab assignment, perhaps? -- and not agreeing to retain Steele, et al

- New blood and energy to recruit against Saban, Kirby Smart, Fisher and Orgeron couldn't hurt. He can offer what many of them can't: a chance to compete IMMEDIATELY except at maybe quarterback and running back.

- Harsin was on NOBODY'S radar screen. Take my word for that. Media (including me) were all focused on Napier stepping back in, or maybe Freeze getting in. Again, an exciting start. I remember when many of you were high on P.J. Fleck. This guy is Fleck without the program-hopping. I think you got your guy.

7 minutes ago, Mitchie said:

Here in Texas, Harsin is known as energetic, should invigorate your program and bring some new offensive recruits to Auburn that might not have previously been looking at AU. Might allow you to build on your recruiting class in February. Is well-liked by Mack Brown and a lot of the movers and shakers in college football. He doesn't have a proven track record of a big, big name guy, or even Freeze. But a good hire.

He and Phil Longo had a lot of offensive conversations.

He is very well connected in the "longhorn" network. He should open up a few more  doors out here.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

Harsin has a winning record vs Power 5 opponents while at Boise (7-6).  Dude is taking a bunch of 2 and 3 star recruits and beating Power 5 teams across the country.  Yet some of y'all think he's not good enough?  GTFOH

It's because of people like you that we get blown out by Georgia and Alabama. Tell me why he's a better option than Gus? You can't 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

People wanted the splash hire so of course they are going to be mad. I love these hires because this is the type of guy who seems like he can flat out coach. He isn’t just a recruiter. 

People think AU deserves a splash hire. The reality is, in my lifetime, Malzahn actually probably was the biggest splash. Dye was hired 3 years before I was born, Tater Tot was not a splash, Tuberville made more of a splash getting into politics than getting hired to AU, and Chiz.....nah. 

As hard as it is, I'm trying to remain optimistic, but was hoping for something better. 

59 minutes ago, Zeek said:

This guy ******* blows. 

He wins at Boise where you don't have to recruit against anyone.

His interviews come off like a boring hard a**

No real experience or pedigree outside of Boise.

No evidence he can recruit at all

He's literally diet-Napier.

Bruhhhh boise state is the premiere mid major program but he's still in bum **** idaho!!! Lol. He still has to recruit to a wasteland and he got the number 1 classes most years he was at boise!!! I am hyped af bro!!!! Only 44. Was the architect OC and play caller for those Kellen moore teams. LFG!!!! 

22 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

It’s a solid to very good hire. It’s not what we could have had with Cristobal or Napier. But it’s not the disaster I feared was coming after the last two days. We didn’t settle for Neal Brown or Rhett Lashlee or Chip Lindsey. And we didn’t just promote Steele which was the dumb plan that cost us Cristobal. 

Right now I’d say I’m a mixture of relieved and cautiously optimistic. We’ll see. 

Yes, let’s stay positive. Could definitely see him out recruiting Vanderbilt and maybe even Arkansas.

Here is the question. Will he have autonomy to hire and fire. At this point if Steele stays on as our defensive coordinator then I think we know the answer. 

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Okay. What’s his record against SEC teams? How many elite prospects has he recruited? This guy is so in over his head.

Just now, drewzums343 said:

Sec west head coaches. 

Alabama- nick Saban 

Arkansas- Sam Pittman 

Texas am- jimbo fisher 

Lsu- ed orgeron [has a national title]

Auburn-... Bryan Harsin 

Mississippi state- Mike leach 

Ole miss- lane kiffin 

If I was a recruit, no way would I choose auburn over any of those schools. Maybe Arkansas, we are the laughing stock of the SEC. Pathetic 

Slow down and take a breath guy. This is way better than AUburn could’ve expected as of yesterday. It ain’t Mario or Sark but he sure as hell ain’t Clark. I’m getting hopeful about AUburn football again. 

1 minute ago, AU-24 said:

Yes, let’s stay positive. Could definitely see him out recruiting Vanderbilt and maybe even Arkansas.

You are an a**hole but that made me laugh 

I like it the more i think about it and listen to him. He doesnt have any coach speak about him- i think he will bring a different attitude than what weve seen. 

Last thing Ill say: Some of yall have never left the Southeast much less lived outside of the Southeast. This train of thought that “We’re doing it right, OUR way is best” is stupid. You need outside thoughts, you need to try new things, you need to hear different perspectives. Other people do things differently for a reason. And No that doesnt mean they morally inept. 

War Eagle

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Bruhhhh boise state is the premiere mid major program but he's still in bum **** idaho!!! Lol. He still has to recruit to a wasteland and he got the number 1 classes most years he was at boise!!! I am hyped af bro!!!! Only 44. Was the architect OC and play caller for those Kellen moore teams. LFG!!!! 

I'm coming around lol the more I look into him 

Archived