Chances of a classic Darkhorse year?

AUght2win

1 minute ago, DAG said:

We are ahead of  USCe on talent. They have always ranked lower than us in the composite 247  rankings, and the 2021 rankings are putrid. The other two recruit dang well and I am sure they both are ahead . 

Absolutely. We should win every game except bammer, uga, and LSU off of talent alone. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm not one of the Bo is the best qb ever guys but there would be a drop off in experience if nothing else. So if there was an in game switch I just would have to imagine that Bo would be the best option as opposed to throwing in a guy without any experience

would have to disagree with that assumption, what was Bo when he started, that line of thinking doesn't make sense to me. why is that any other power 5 school can have multiple QB's on the roster and contribute, bama true freshman played last year LSU true freshman played last year come on man, and I could go on and on, but only at Auburn that the starter play whether he is good or not, because we tell ourselves we have no other option WOW!!

8 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

would have to disagree with that assumption, what was Bo when he started, that line of thinking doesn't make sense to me. why is that any other power 5 school can have multiple QB's on the roster and contribute, bama true freshman played last year LSU true freshman played last year come on man, and I could go on and on, but only at Auburn that the starter play whether he is good or not, because we tell ourselves we have no other option WOW!!

Yeah LSU guy came and played and he couldn't do anything against us. It's really common sense that a guy who has played will be a little better at least until the freshman get the system down. Of course there are always anomalies but you are  setting yourself up to fail if you are trying to base your normal on somebody else special case. 

4 hours ago, eaglenest said:

Auburn problem is never talent, we had a clown as head coach and a fan base that help the clown in making sure sir Bo was the QB. UF was not consistenly winning SEC championship nor division, just because we are not man enough to beat UGA doesn't mean they have more talent then us, but, see Authur for that. Get back to me when UGA and UF win something notable, coaching is everything see west vance!!!

We are lacking talent in many areas.  Has nothing to do with "man' enough. 

I'm not really sure what your argument is now.  You used UF as an example, now want to claim "Get back to me when UF win something notable".  Not really sure where you are going with this.

It's ok to be honest about Auburn's current state.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

We are ahead of  USCe on talent. They have always ranked lower than us in the composite 247  rankings, and the 2021 rankings are putrid. The other two recruit dang well and I am sure they both are ahead . 

We all know rankings in the end don't really mean s***, especially when they are lopsided b/c you've recruited 0 tackles, had top DTs leave, etc.  They've got 1st round DBs, really good RBs and some other talent.  If we're better than them, it's really not by much.  They 

On that 1st round DB...I'm nearly positive Gus in his infinite wisdom decided to attack their best defender.  Gus was a massive liability and dumbed down our talent.

1 hour ago, eaglenest said:

bama true freshman played last year

Dude threw 22 passes. 

I'm not really sure that is notable as "contributing"

26 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Dude threw 22 passes. 

I'm not really sure that is notable as "contributing"

he played..... who on our team PLAYED???

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Yeah LSU guy came and played and he couldn't do anything against us. It's really common sense that a guy who has played will be a little better at least until the freshman get the system down. Of course there are always anomalies but you are  setting yourself up to fail if you are trying to base your normal on somebody else special case. 

did the guy that played and beat Florida in the swamp play against us?

13 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

he played..... who on our team PLAYED???

Loy played some.  

A QB going 13/22 isn't contributing.

35 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

We are lacking talent in many areas.  Has nothing to do with "man' enough. 

I'm not really sure what your argument is now.  You used UF as an example, now want to claim "Get back to me when UF win something notable".  Not really sure where you are going with this.

It's ok to be honest about Auburn's current state.

where I'm going is this, every year we have 1-3 players get drafted in the NFL that none of us would expect to be drafted due to our lack of success and player underwhelming performance due to poor coaching and development and scheme. Lets go deeper, look at how many players exited this program due to coach clown playing favorites, tired of the poor excuses. Auburn has recruited well, once they get on campus the head man fail them and this fan base due to being in over his head and paranoid.

10 hours ago, W.E.D said:

We all know rankings in the end don't really mean s***, especially when they are lopsided b/c you've recruited 0 tackles, had top DTs leave, etc.  They've got 1st round DBs, really good RBs and some other talent.  If we're better than them, it's really not by much.  They 

On that 1st round DB...I'm nearly positive Gus in his infinite wisdom decided to attack their best defender.  Gus was a massive liability and dumbed down our talent.

They had one guy who is projected to be drafted in the first round . Does that mean top to bottom they are more talented than us? If rankings don’t mean crap, then why do the ( get ready) highest ranked teams make the playoffs the majority of the time and win majority of the national champions? I don’t like Gus like the next person but saying we are on par with USCe on talent is downright not accurate. Nobody but you believes that. We just had a coach who had no idea what the hell he was doing. We’re we on par with Arkansas talent last year too?

11 hours ago, eaglenest said:

where I'm going is this, every year we have 1-3 players get drafted in the NFL that none of us would expect to be drafted due to our lack of success and player underwhelming performance due to poor coaching and development and scheme. Lets go deeper, look at how many players exited this program due to coach clown playing favorites, tired of the poor excuses. Auburn has recruited well, once they get on campus the head man fail them and this fan base due to being in over his head and paranoid.

I don't know about you, but the players that get drafted are pretty obvious the best players we have and we know they should get drafted.  It's not really a surprise. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

They had one guy who is projected to be drafted in the first round . Does that mean top to bottom they are more talented than us? If rankings don’t mean crap, then why do the ( get ready) highest ranked teams make the playoffs the majority of the time and win majority of the national champions? I don’t like Gus like the next person but saying we are on par with USCe on talent is downright not accurate. Nobody but you believes that. We just had a coach who had no idea what the hell he was doing. We’re we on par with Arkansas talent last year too?

USC has some talented players, we aren't head and shoulders above them.  We're in a group with them.  There are 3-4 at the top, then we're clearly in that second group where there is a ton of ambiguity.

Rankings are important, and what I meant was once they get on campus you have to utilize that talent.  I don't think Gus did that and actually dumbed down our talent and made players worse.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

USC has some talented players, we aren't head and shoulders above them.  We're in a group with them.  There are 3-4 at the top, then we're clearly in that second group where there is a ton of ambiguity.

Rankings are important, and what I meant was once they get on campus you have to utilize that talent.  I don't think Gus did that and actually dumbed down our talent and made players worse.

I do not believe they are in the same tier as us. I would agree we are in the 2nd group, but I think USCe would fall in a 3rd tier. 

• Like 2

• Like 3

On 4/5/2021 at 10:37 AM, Tigerpro2a said:

I do not believe they are in the same tier as us. I would agree we are in the 2nd group, but I think USCe would fall in a 3rd tier. 

Agreed. Year in year out, they're in there with the Kentuckys and Mississippi schools and such. Maybe Missouri.

Tennessee might have fallen down to Vandy level.

I feel like we'll know more about Arkansas after this season. Right now I'd still have them in that 2nd-to-bottom group.

I'm not sure who else is in that 2nd group with us besides TAMU. Honestly, bama is the only true blue blood in the conference. uga hasn't actually won anything. LSU is even more roller coastery than us. Florida... shrug. I might have to make those 3 the 2nd group. I dunno. 

But yeah, in terms of what kind of program we are overall, we're comfortably above USC. They're a school that needs a Spurrier to win big and we're a school that can go undefeated and/or play for national championship no matter who coaches us. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Agreed. Year in year out, they're in there with the Kentuckys and Mississippi schools and such. Maybe Missouri.

Tennessee might have fallen down to Vandy level.

I feel like we'll know more about Arkansas after this season. Right now I'd still have them in that 2nd-to-bottom group.

I'm not sure who else is in that 2nd group with us besides TAMU. Honestly, bama is the only true blue blood in the conference. uga hasn't actually won anything. LSU is even more roller coastery than us. Florida... shrug. I might have to make those 3 the 2nd group. I dunno. 

But yeah, in terms of what kind of program we are overall, we're comfortably above USC. They're a school that needs a Spurrier to win big and we're a school that can go undefeated and/or play for national championship no matter who coaches us. 

I think if we are looking at from this moment moving forward...Alabama UGA are at the top just based off roster and program, then LSU, Tex AM, AU and UF probably all in the second tier, then everybody else.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I think if we are looking at from this moment moving forward...Alabama UGA are at the top just based off roster and program, then LSU, Tex AM, AU and UF probably all in the second tier, then everybody else.

That makes good sense. 

Will be interesting to see what happens with LSU. Even more dramatic and weird than usual down there these days.

• Like 1

Rankings would not matter so darn much if we had 12-16 teams in the playoffs.  

I will likely die before we have a legit  playoff system.  

11 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Rankings would not matter so darn much if we had 12-16 teams in the playoffs.  

I will likely die before we have a legit  playoff system.  

Don't need that much, IMO. 8 teams are more than enough and even then, rankings would still matter.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Don't need that much, IMO. 8 teams are more than enough and even then, rankings would still matter.

I think 8 is he magic number. There are many years that I think a #5-#8 team could make a run. I ay cut back to 11 games in a season, and then take power 5 champions, top G5 and 2 highest ranked teams and go to work. 

That keeps the regular season important because if you don't win your conference there isn't a high chance of you making it. Also, do away with the "eye-test" or "human element".  Go back to BCS for rankings system. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Will be interesting to see what happens with LSU. Even more dramatic and weird than usual down there these days.

Literally a team that could go 6-6 or 10+ wins next year. Reminds me of us in a way except we don't have all the extra bad baggage they currently have.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 5:19 PM, cole256 said:

Absolutely. We should win every game except bammer, uga, and LSU off of talent alone. 

Do you know anything about Penn St?

How do we compare to them?

23 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Do you know anything about Penn St?

How do we compare to them?

As of last year's signing class, we ranked 4 spots higher them then on average the last 5 years. If I'm reading this right. I have not vetted this info but I'm comfortable saying that we are slightly more talented than them.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-recruiting-rankings-schools-with-the-best-classes-on-average-over-the-past-five-years/

We do have a 3rd-year starter at QB and a lot of experience elsewhere around the roster. Despite that experience not always looking pretty, it's been against better competition than PSU faces and I don't know if they can claim a similar level of experience at key positions on their team.

So much goes into the conversation about "talent". 

• Like 2

I have tuned out NCAA FB the last couple of years, but I think I remember Penn St being on the struggle bus, too.  I believe they have the same staff.  I get the feeling they are on the edge of complacency like we had been.  Is that accurate?

• Like 1