Would you commit to Auburn right now?

AUght2win

No, I would not commit to a single school the summer before the season. I always promote that the kids should wait close to NSD or during NSD to commit. Take all your visits and see what is out there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

No not right at the moment, if i had offers I would look first at school/coach pedigree and second at roster. Harsin has a great pedigree but he hasnt done it in the SEC that would give me pause. Depending on my position I would likely commit somewhere else if I had to TODAY. That said, I would keep an eye on Auburn to see how they were playing this year

If I’m an OT, in a heartbeat.  If I’m a running back or QB, not until the coaches bring in players to protect me.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DAG said:

No, I would not commit to a single school the summer before the season. I always promote that the kids should wait close to NSD or during NSD to commit. Take all your visits and see what is out there.

Yeah but these kids commit early because a good portion of them have already seen what these schools have offered because they probably started taking these visits by sophomore year.

They know where they want to go. Especially if it’s Bama, OSU, or Clemson. Those schools want you to commit early because they know they’re going to have limited spots 

if I was a Qb recruit, yes.  Getting your spot early in a signing class is significant for your well being.

if I was a life long Auburn fan and it is my dream school yes.

if the NFL is my destination I would wait to see the product on the field to verify my signing.

if after visiting this summer and I knew it was where I wanted to spend the next four years, yes.  

15 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Tubbs got lucky. He wasn’t going against the Alabama of today. You’ve got to get big time recruits. There’s no other way around it. It’s only so far you can take this developing thing

He didn't get lucky. He beat Saban's ass when he had LSU at full strength, beating multiple top 10 teams. He beat #1 Florida TWICE in Auburn. Then beat a top 5 Florida in the swamp (never lost to Urban Meyer). He dominated Phil Fulmer when Tennessee was a perennial competitor. He beat UGA when Richt was in his prime.

Luck? What a lie.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Depends on what position I play and what other offers I've got.

Assume you've got the SEC variety pack of offers - UGA, LSU, Florida, Alabama. Those are the type of kids everyone is cringing that we aren't reeling in right now. 

On 7/3/2021 at 1:22 PM, AUght2win said:

would you commit to Auburn right now?

In a heartbeat!!!

On 7/4/2021 at 6:11 PM, AUght2win said:

You really must be new to the Auburn fanbase. Our uniforms are iconic and the vast majority doesn't want them to change. It's rare these days to see a brand maintain itself without giving into gimmicks. Auburn has been able to do that. 

If you want an alternate, do it during the spring game. I'm all for that. But during the season, unless it's an orange throwback, no thanks. 

Mmmmm.   Sorta,  I didn't watch Barfield coach, but remember the Barfield era.   I lived in Mag dorm in 84-86.

We see things differently:  I see the uniforms and helmets as you do.  But, I also see the uniforms and helmets as the players and if that helps build a little excitement, I am for it.  There is not a player waking up and dreaming of playing for Auburn because it is the same helmet that Pat Sullivan wore in '69.   I think they could let the players wear a new helmet once or twice a year to make it special or unique.  Or maybe a uni....

Again, I see this as something for the program, not just for older fans.

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Beaker said:

Mmmmm.   Sorta,  I didn't watch Barfield coach, but remember the Barfield era.   I lived in Mag dorm in 84-86.

We see things differently:  I see the uniforms and helmets as you do.  But, I also see the uniforms and helmets as the players and if that helps build a little excitement, I am for it.  There is not a player waking up and dreaming of playing for Auburn because it is the same helmet that Pat Sullivan wore in '69.   I think they could let the players wear a new helmet once or twice a year to make it special or unique.  Or maybe a uni....

Not that I think it would help with recruiting very much, but I'm one of the fairly old fans who sees no problem with alternate helmets, uniforms. GA wears several variations, so does Ole Miss, Florida, and LSU to name just a few.

Contrary to a previous post, our uniforms, while very nice, are not iconic. No one outside of Alabama, who did not attend Auburn gives a damn what our uniforms look like. Most people in the country don't even know what state Auburn is in, much less care what color our helmets are. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eagle-1 said:

Contrary to a previous post, our uniforms, while very nice, are not iconic. No one outside of Alabama, who did not attend Auburn gives a damn what our uniforms look like. Most people in the country don't even know what state Auburn is in, much less care what color our helmets are. 

It hasn't been that long ago that the AU uniform was voted the best looking and one of the three most recognizable in the nation. I think it was an SI poll.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2021 at 1:36 AM, DAG said:

I disagree...not so much in spirit, but with the particulars. Recruits can visit officially long before their high school season starts. If they decide to get it over early so they can focus on their senior year of football, but they do their research to ensure that they aren't making a bad decision (as much as they can, anyway), then why couldn't they commit in July or August?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

It hasn't been that long ago that the AU uniform was voted the best looking and one of the three most recognizable in the nation. I think it was an SI poll.

I'm pretty sure I remember this happening at least once recently in a major publication (and SI sounds right).

That having been said, since I did a little research and realized we don't have an atrocious record with orange jerseys, like I thought we did, I'd be all for doing an orange jersey with a blue stripe on the shoulders. Getting into Boise territory with uniform changes makes me queasy, but I'd be good with having an orange jersey that is an inverse of the classic navy one.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I disagree...not so much in spirit, but with the particulars. Recruits can visit officially long before their high school season starts. If they decide to get it over early so they can focus on their senior year of football, but they do their research to ensure that they aren't making a bad decision (as much as they can, anyway), then why couldn't they commit in July or August?

That’s fair my point was being that a lot tend to commit way before they see what is out there only to decomitt mid season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

That’s fair my point was being that a lot tend to commit way before they see what is out there only to decomitt mid season. 

That's what I meant by not disagreeing in spirit, because I knew what you meant, and I agree. I'm just anal about things sometimes. You know this, D. [Cue Bird, Golf, and whoever else saying, "Don't we ever!!!"]

• Like 1

One more thing here on recruiting. Trend has been that kids really haven't been pulling the trigger in June. Some of it was they wanted to see multiple schools before but some has been to see how schools are handling the new NIL. I do think AU has been out front on the NIL and that won't be a problem moving forward. Lots of things going on with recruiting that the casual fans don't really know. 

If this trend is still going on in October, then lets start to panic. I think we will have maybe 9 new kids commit before the first snap. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 1

As in previous years when discussing why a player commits (grew up loving the school, early PT, Like the coaches, girl friend going to the school, to stay close to home, to get away from home, major available at the school, a whim), there are a myriad number of reasons a player commits early (love the school, want to assure slot, has done their homework previously, don't want to deal with recruiting during senior year, to get attention), just like there are legitimate reasons for committing late (enjoy the visits to multiple schools, getting to know the coaches better, want to see the product on the field, hoping for an offer from a different school, can't make up their mind).

Each player has to decide on the school of choice and when is the right time to choose. Ideally a player commits once but even here there are legitimate reasons a player will change their mind.      

19 hours ago, Beaker said:

Oh my. I didn't know Mag dorm was still around in the mid 80s? I lived there in the mid 70's but i was able to escape it pretty quickly. :)

I agree that it would be nice to show the players and recruits we like a little change. As you said, not permanently, but on occasion a new helmet or uniform to go with the new styles and times. 

They could do it like the Steelers do. They never have deviated from their traditional style and look but every now and then they do a throw back or a new look like the Nike RUSH colors where the blacks are stronger and bolder. It's a great look.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Oh my. I didn't know Mag dorm was still around in the mid 80s? I lived there in the mid 70's but i was able to escape it pretty quickly. :)

I lived in Mag Hall in 1955-1956 and it was nothing to brag about even then. But heck we weren't spoiled in those days and were just lucky to be there. I moved into Noble Hall next door when it first opened. Even it is gone now.

Edited by Proud Tiger
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I lived in Mag Hall in 1955-1956 and it was nothing to brag about even then. But heck we weren't spoiled in those days and were just lucky to be there. I moved into Noble Hall next door when it first opened. Even it is gone now.

I lived in Mag 1969-1970. For the kids of today we has a very small room with two twin beds two desks and small bureau each and a small close each. We shared a common bathroom on each Floor wing There was no room for modesty in the shower as it was not separate shower stalls. We had a common area for the whole dorm that had some seating around a single TV on a stand and as I remember some ping pong tables.  Plus a cafeteria. We were happy we were not next door in Bullard Hall which was same setup but without air conditioning.

I was glad to move out next year but I actually met a lot of people and had a good time there. I also learned a few things about race relations in Alabama as I had never been in Alabama until I showed up at Auburn.  We had a bulletin board where people put up notes, books for sale, need players for intramural teams, etc. I answered one where they we looking for WIST players I decided to go to meeting room. When I walked in I was the only white person in the room apparently in Alabama the Black community played WIST whereas the White community played Bridge, or Hearts or Rook with a few exceptions. I joined the group and one day as I was leaving I mentioned I was going over to the Pool to go swimming and I found out that only a couple of my friends could swim as in the towns they grew up in the pools were white only. I had been a Lifeguard in HS and taught swimming classes. I ended up teaching a number of my friends how to swim.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I lived in Mag 1969-1970. For the kids of today we has a very small room with two twin beds two desks and small bureau each and a small close each. We shared a common bathroom on each Floor wing There was no room for modesty in the shower as it was not separate shower stalls. We had a common area for the whole dorm that had some seating around a single TV on a stand and as I remember some ping pong tables.  Plus a cafeteria. We were happy we were not next door in Bullard Hall which was same setup but without air conditioning.

I was glad to move out next year but I actually met a lot of people and had a good time there. I also learned a few things about race relations in Alabama as I had never been in Alabama until I showed up at Auburn.  We had a bulletin board where people put up notes, books for sale, need players for intramural teams, etc. I answered one where they we looking for WIST players I decided to go to meeting room. When I walked in I was the only white person in the room apparently in Alabama the Black community played WIST whereas the White community played Bridge, or Hearts or Rook with a few exceptions. I joined the group and one day as I was leaving I mentioned I was going over to the Pool to go swimming and I found out that only a couple of my friends could swim as in the towns they grew up in the pools were white only. I had been a Lifeguard in HS and taught swimming classes. I ended up teaching a number of my friends how to swim.

I played a lot of pool downtown.