Would you commit to Auburn right now?

AUght2win

2 minutes ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

This is the key. During the first year of a new coaching staff the best recruiting pitch you have is on field production. Everyone that asks for a prediction of this season gets the same answer from me. I think 8 wins has to be our floor, but more important than that, we WONT LOOK INCOMPETENT in any games. As a former offensive lineman it's pretty uplifting to know if you do your job the offense will move because your gameplan will work and the men around you are capable and well coached. That same can be applied to recruiting. When I see a product on the field that shows improvement through coaching and success in the long run, that's something I can commit 3 or 4 years to. 

Long story short, if we win our first 3 (Penn State is a big game due to exposure) and dont look bumbling and like we tripped in to a win, the recruiting will follow.

What's going to be refreshing is having a big time OOC game and not having to worry about the Friday night game plan change or rotating 5 QBs in the first 10 plays

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Lol, a guy that has never coached a game at AU, and you’re concerned. Don’t ever remember you being concerned in the last 8 years when recruiting was solid and the results on the field weren’t. The previous staff left us in this position. I really cannot mentally understand your take. Because it absolutely makes no sense to be concerned at this point, unless you’re a habitual ledge stepper or you really don’t care for the new staff to succeed, out of spite.

did you ever coach a game at AU? what the hell does that have to do with anything? we are all fans here and i am pretty sure the board is for differing opinions. and you assume a lot. thinking mikey wants the new staff to fail because he was a gus  fan is a reach. i understand differing opinions but lets not act like we know what anyone is thinking. mikey is a huge auburn fan and i would bet the farm he will be with his last breath. you guys just pile on mikey and pile on mikey and it is bad look. and then you get pissed when he dares disagree with the click." you" being many of you. many of you act like you want mikey to leave and i am pretty sure this site is trying to recruit members and not run them off. and mikey is a loyal member of the fam. so come at me all you want but i am not trying to start a fight but damn it gets old.

Edited by aubiefifty
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

17 hours ago, bigbird said:

It wasn't Gus. I believe it was Horton and EJ

someone said it on here bird and no one called them on it. this is why i said what i said.

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

What's going to be refreshing is having a big time OOC game and not having to worry about the Friday night game plan change or rotating 5 QBs in the first 10 plays

Yes. While losing any game sucks, as a fan I can tolerate losing a game by 10 when both coaches drew up great game plans and the other team was just flat out more talented. What I cant tolerate is losing very winnable games because the coach pulls some crap like that or the 2017 LSU game. Both were clinics in poor coaching and both were inexcusable. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Just now, AUFightingSoldiers said:

Yes. While losing any game sucks, as a fan I can tolerate losing a game by 10 when both coaches drew up great game plans and the other team was just flat out more talented. What I cant tolerate is losing very winnable games because the coach pulls some crap like that or the 2017 LSU game. Both were clinics in poor coaching and both were inexcusable. 

Throw in the UGA SECCG too, because trying to use the same game plan two weeks removed thinking the opponent wouldn't adjust is just...well, inexplicable

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

i gave gus much love but i am glad he is gone and have been for a year and a half. i just want to make sure that is straight.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

2021 class is going to be a top 15 to 20 type class. Is what it is. 2022 will be different and should be in the top 10. We have some good recruiters, just new. Give it a year.  

I assume you mean 2022 and 23 respectively?

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Throw in the UGA SECCG too, because trying to use the same game plan two weeks removed thinking the opponent wouldn't adjust is just...well, inexplicable

the man had a lot of faults. i am happy for harsin and i believe we will stomp some major butt down the road.i think boise was in the same league as utah and utah state?those cats had some pretty tough teams and did one of those teams not push saban and company all over the field?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I assume you mean 2022 and 23 respectively?

On 7/6/2021 at 10:59 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I would be willing to bet on that, and since I don't gamble...;)

20 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

did you ever coach a game at AU? what the hell does that have to do with anything? we are all fans here and i am pretty sure the board is for differing opinions. and you assume a lot. thinking mikey wants the new staff to fail because he was a gus  fan is a reach. i understand differing opinions but lets not act like we know what anyone is thinking. mikey is a huge auburn fan and i would bet the farm he will be with his last breath. you guys just pile on mikey and pile on mikey and it is bad look. and then you get pissed when he dares disagree with the click." you" being many of you. many of you act like you want mikey to leave and i am pretty sure this site is trying to recruit members and not run them off. and mikey is a loyal member of the fam. so come at me all you want but i am not trying to start a fight but damn it gets old.

You misinterpreted that entirely. He is “concerned” already when a guy (Harsin) hasn’t even coached his first game yet, but he showed no concern over the past 8 years 

Edited by Maverick.AU
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

People pile on Mikey because he is consistently one of the dumbest posters on this forum. He spent years backing Gus because "he was Auburn's coach" and thought that everyone else should as well. Now that Gus is gone and we have a new coach he wants to constantly be negative despite the coach not having the opportunity to actually coach a game. The only time people need to lay off of him is when he stops posting.

We've heard from a reliable poster that knows his stuff that we shouldn't be worried about recruiting in July. I will follow his advice because he doesn't spout nonsense. If I was a kid right now, I would wait to see what happens on the field in the first few games before I pull the trigger.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So much mud being slung here it looks like a mudslide of near biblical proportions!  

I do want to share what I heard on a podcast this morning and it makes a lot of sense:

Harsin is having to overcome a lot of residual negative recruiting on the recruiting trail.   And the audience are kids that have been hearing it for 1-2 yrs (2021-2022 class).  Can't bystep that.  These kids are pretty tainted and easily influenced initially.  He has a lot to overcome.   But it is his job to overcome this....

Gus left us in  a really, really bad spot from a roster management position and there is no way he could have fixed it in 1-2 yrs (WR experience/depth, player development (negative recruiting tool), OL of course and no offensive evolution despite having a new OC each year).    I do not believe Gus could have fixed the very problems he created.

Just my thoughts:

I do appreciate Gus for 2013 and as a person and he represented Auburn well.  He absolutely caught lightning in a bottle in 2013 and put together a great team by 2017, but caused his own undoing (at the end of the season) with a lot of poor coaching decisions during  the season.   I believe Harsin will recruit fine this year because he has surrounded himself with what appears an excellent coaching staff.  I don't think anyone would say this is the kind of recruiters Chizik hired.  

I see a lot of Terry Bowden in Gus M.   Too many parallels - they could be related. 

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

You misinterpreted that entirely. He is “concerned” already when a guy (Harsin) hasn’t even coached his first game yet, but he showed no concern over over the past 8 years 

and? it is his opinion and he has that right to state his beliefs without being attacked almost constantly. i have talked to mikey and he loves auburn as much as anyone. look i have always liked you but people have been on him a couple of years now. all he is guilty of is being loyal to auburn and also to gus as long as gus was employed by auburn. some of you never get that.

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

and? it is his opinion and he has that right to state his beliefs without being attacked almost constantly. i have talked to mikey and he loves auburn as much as anyone. look i have always liked you but people have been on him a couple of years now. all he is guilty of is being loyal to auburn and also to gus as long as gus was employed by auburn. some of you never get that.

Then why continue to take pot shots at the new staff and the fanbase in multiple threads, and bring up gus ( ala last week) even when nobody is talking about him? After saying everybody else was obsessed with him, yet brings him up in ways  that are perceived to slight the new staff and the fan base?  He would’ve have defended gus to the teeth in this situation, but now he is concerned? I mean, I’m not calling him dumb as a person. I just think his sports related takes aren’t very good.

9 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

People pile on Mikey because he is consistently one of the dumbest posters on this forum. He spent years backing Gus because "he was Auburn's coach" and thought that everyone else should as well. Now that Gus is gone and we have a new coach he wants to constantly be negative despite the coach not having the opportunity to actually coach a game. The only time people need to lay off of him is when he stops posting.

We've heard from a reliable poster that knows his stuff that we shouldn't be worried about recruiting in July. I will follow his advice because he doesn't spout nonsense. If I was a kid right now, I would wait to see what happens on the field in the first few games before I pull the trigger.

people pile on mikey because he  thinks differently. and your first sentence was a shot at mikey. you seem like a real special guy. and you think he should be attacked every single time he gives a response. i am pretty sure that is not how this board is supposed to work.badgering someone over and over used to not fly on this board. some of you think your candle will burn brighter if you blow someone else's out but  after a couple of years of people badgering mikey you come off looking like an a**hole. you remember i just stated that knowing i will probably get a time out or maybe banned. you can disagree with someone without slandering someone. you can ignore them. you can tell them i disagree with them and move on. instead some seem to take great delight in trying to ridicule folks on here.

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

people pile on mikey because he  thinks differently. and your first sentence was a shot at mikey. you seem like a real special guy. and you think he should be attacked every single time he gives a response. i am pretty sure that is not how this board is supposed to work.badgering someone over and over used to not fly on this board. some of you think your candle will burn brighter if you blow someone else's out but  after a couple of years of people badgering mikey you come off looking like an a**hole. you remember i just stated that knowing i will probably get a time out or maybe banned. you can disagree with someone without slandering someone. you can ignore them. you can tell them i disagree with them and move on. instead some seem to take great delight in trying to ridicule folks on here.

So, multiple people including some of the most respected posters on this board pile on Mikey and call him out on his BS but it's them that's the problem? If I had 10-15 people every day stating that what I was saying was dumb or incorrect I would have a look internally about me as a person and me as a poster. Obviously, Mikey just wants to rile people up and have a differing opinion just to be different.

I have the guy on ignore and have had him ignore for awhile. I wish that when people quoted him I wouldn't see his messages.

You can call me an a**hole all you want but in the 12+ years I've been on this I've never had a problem with anyone on this board. I don't have people "piling" on me every day because of my hot takes. Mikey is loyal to himself and Gus. He proved that when he has refused to give the new staff time and at least ONE game to prove themselves but he has constantly stated in the past that we should get behind our coaches because they coach for Auburn! I'm not gonna go back and forth with you on this because I don't want to muddy up this thread even more. But don't start saying we should just back off of Mikey because you think it might hurt his feelings. He posts on a public forum with stupid ideas and stupid takes. The more people that pile on him, the more it should prove to you that Mikey's opinions are s***.

• Like 1

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

Then why continue to take pot shots at the new staff and the fanbase in multiple threads, and bring up gus ( ala last week) even when nobody is talking about him? After saying everybody else was obsessed with him, yet brings him up in ways  that are perceived to slight the new staff and the fan base?  He would’ve have defended gus to the teeth in this situation, but now he is concerned? I mean, I’m not calling him dumb as a person. I just think his sports related takes aren’t very good.

so now he cannot talk about what is on his mind? jesus listen to yourself. and for the record there any many auburn fans worried about harsin other than mikey but they will not say a word because they do not want to get treated like mikey.

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Gus didn't make that call on the Kick Six. It was Ellis Johnson. Fact. 

I'll also never forget that we ran Ryan Smith out there as the deep man before we called the timeout to ice. Maybe Ryan runs it back, maybe he doesn't. But I remember thinking it was asinine to ever put him out there as a return man. 

Gus did so much stuff that was either extremely overthought or extremely underthought. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

the man had a lot of faults. i am happy for harsin and i believe we will stomp some major butt down the road.i think boise was in the same league as utah and utah state?those cats had some pretty tough teams and did one of those teams not push saban and company all over the field?

Utah state, yes. Utah, no. Utah is Pac 12 now.

• Thanks 1

Just now, aubiefifty said:

so now he cannot talk about what is on his mind? jesus listen to yourself. and for the record there any many auburn fans worried about harsin other than mikey but they will not say a word because they do not want to get treated like mikey.

You do realize that a majority of this board finds most of his posts almost trollish right? So yes, he gets called out for those posts and the double standards he holds. It is as simple as that. Plenty of people here have different opinions and there are arguments, decent debates, agreeing to disagree, etc. 

Just like it is his right to post what is on his mind, it is anybody else’s right to post that they strongly disagree with it 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, tgrogan21 said:

So, multiple people including some of the most respected posters on this board pile on Mikey and call him out on his BS but it's them that's the problem? If I had 10-15 people every day stating that what I was saying was dumb or incorrect I would have a look internally about me as a person and me as a poster. Obviously, Mikey just wants to rile people up and have a differing opinion just to be different.

I have the guy on ignore and have had him ignore for awhile. I wish that when people quoted him I wouldn't see his messages.

You can call me an a**hole all you want but in the 12+ years I've been on this I've never had a problem with anyone on this board. I don't have people "piling" on me every day because of my hot takes. Mikey is loyal to himself and Gus. He proved that when he has refused to give the new staff time and at least ONE game to prove themselves but he has constantly stated in the past that we should get behind our coaches because they coach for Auburn! I'm not gonna go back and forth with you on this because I don't want to muddy up this thread even more. But don't start saying we should just back off of Mikey because you think it might hurt his feelings. He posts on a public forum with stupid ideas and stupid takes. The more people that pile on him, the more it should prove to you that Mikey's opinions are s***.

there is a huge difference in piling on with someone or just disagreeing with someone. people like to pile on mikey because he sticks by what he said. and i am pretty sure mikey has stated he is behind harsin. you can be behind someone and still have doubts. but that same click has run a lot of people off. i can think of two ladies in particular. and this includes the off season. as for hurting mikeys feelings i doubt that.. and it is rare when it is just mikey and one person arguing. it is usually several versus mikey.as for the a**hole part  i never pointed the finger at any one person.

24 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

First of all, this isn't a new issue. Mikey has been stubbornly obstinate about things for as long as he's been on the board. I don't know if you were around to see the amount he harped on the lack of linebacker depth when we weren't in that bad a position, or when he suggested we had a wealth of O-line depth because we had enough offensive linemen for "3.6 per position," completely overlooking the need for different types of players at guard vs tackle.

The problem is that he went from supporting the employed head football coach more than he deserved to undercutting the employed head football coach, just like many of us did while he was supporting the old coach, without the time to have legitimate supporting evidence one way or the other about the new coach. 

Also, expressing worry about Harsin is one thing. Pointing out every negative thing to be found, and never pointing out positive things that are happening, suggests the butthurt we have all ascribed to him. I suppose I can infer from your comments that you are one of those who question whether Harsin is the right choice, and that's both perfectly understandable and a completely acceptable position to take. But try to have a little faith, and listen to the positivity coming out of guys like WarDamnEagleWDE. This staff is for real.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

You do realize that a majority of this board finds most of his posts almost trollish right? So yes, he gets called out for those posts and the double standards he holds. It is as simple as that. Plenty of people here have different opinions and there are arguments, decent debates, agreeing to disagree, etc. 

Just like it is his right to post what is on his mind, it is anybody else’s right to post that they strongly disagree with it 

so that gives you and others the right to trash and belittle others you disagree with on a daily basis?got it.  i am still waiting to see where harsin was bashed by mikey. i admit i do not read every single thread on here but with mikeys love for auburn i doubt he has trashed harsin. i know stuff mikey said about gus was twisted. i saw that. i saw several people attacked. tis a bad look.

12 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I'll also never forget that we ran Ryan Smith out there as the deep man before we called the timeout to ice. Maybe Ryan runs it back, maybe he doesn't. But I remember thinking it was asinine to ever put him out there as a return man. 

Gus did so much stuff that was either extremely overthought or extremely underthought. 

Yep, Coach Harbison  suggested putting Davis back there because he is the punt return guy.    It never crossed Gus’ mind and it was something that was never practiced or planned.  They didn’t even set up a blocking plan the guys just made blocks.  Davis knew they had big guys so he set them up.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rednilla said:

First of all, this isn't a new issue. Mikey has been stubbornly obstinate about things for as long as he's been on the board. I don't know if you were around to see the amount he harped on the lack linebacker depth when we weren't in that bad a position, or when he suggested we had a wealth of O-line depth because we had enough offensive linemen for "3.6 per position," completely overlooking the need for different types of players at guard vs tackle.

The problem is that he went from supporting the employed head football coach more than he deserved to undercutting the employed head football coach, just like many of us did while he was supporting the old coach, without the time to have legitimate supporting evidence one way or the other about the new coach. 

Also, expressing worry about Harsin is one thing. Pointing out every negative thing to be found, and never pointing out positive things that are happening, suggests the butthurt we have all ascribed to him. I suppose I can infer from your comments that you are one of those who question whether Harsin is the right choice, and that's both perfectly understandable and a completely acceptable position to take. But try to have a little faith, and listen to the positivity coming out of guys like WarDamnEagleWDE. This staff is for real.

i back harsin a thousand percent. i have stated this. i think harsin will do well. so what do you guys want rednilla? someone that comes to the site and never says a word? you do understand people left because of the crap they were given on here right? i cannot give names as my memory is bad but i remember people saying they were done because they took a lot of crap. did they come back? i have no idea. but what if mikey had some kind of alz? the board clearly states if you have issue with someone you have the ignore function. it does not say shame and make fun of them until they might not want to come back. you might disagree with mikey but he is a loyal supporter of the fam. but after a while the shots get old. the click moves in when you say something they do not like and then they give you the silent treatment. my point is when you have an ignore function and you disregard it to embarrass someone you are worse than the poster getting piled on. let him have his fun.