What's going on in the Athletic Dept and Lt. Gen Burgess?

steeleagle

24 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Everyone is human of course, and people are wrong sometimes.  But if you have multiple people coming to you saying it isn’t a good situation, why wouldn’t you believe them?  We have Bird, Golf, Red, PTB, and Emt all saying the same thing.  Emt is actually on the baseball staff as well.  And they are giving an explanation.  It literally only takes an annual donation of $5 so this site can keep running.  As much as you both enjoy and post on this forum, isn’t it worth $5 to help keep it running and to get answers that you need?

I haven't had multiple tell me anything. You are the only person who has said a single thing. Nobody else has confirmed a dang thing. Also, I am not paying money to a person, I don't even like. Why would I do that? This is leisure activity for me. I don't lose a single ounce of sleep to gain more rumors. I guess it is not enough I give money to the university huh? Or pay into nursing scholarships.

• Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

I haven't had multiple tell me anything. You are the only person who has said a single thing. Nobody else has confirmed a dang thing. Also, I am not paying money to a person, I don't even like. Why would I do that? This is leisure activity for me. I don't lose a single ounce of sleep to gain more rumors. I guess it is not enough I give money to the university huh? Or pay into nursing scholarships.

Do you ever go to sleep?  😂  Major props.

Bird has addressed you as well.  And my reply was to both you and Cole too so some of that was to him.  What person would you be paying money to?  It goes to the forum as a whole, not a person.  As much as you and I post on here, using the forum’s resources, to me it would be worth helping the forum like it has helped me.  It’s up to you though of course.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Bird has addressed you as well.  And my reply was to both you and Cole too so some of that was to him.  What person would you be paying money to?  It goes to the forum as a whole, not a person.  As much as you and I post on here, using the forum’s resources, to me it would be worth helping the forum like it has helped me.  It’s up to you though of course.

And the person who runs this ? I don’t particularly care for. If this forum has made an impact on your life than by all means pay them. But please don’t tell me what to do with my money . That is a pet peeve of mine. The day this forum tells me I have to pay just to post here, is the day I will go on with life. This is leisure activity for me. No more, no less. And I am definitely not paying for information, which may not be true 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

And the person who runs this ? I don’t particularly care for. If this forum has made an impact on your life than by all means pay them. But please don’t tell me what to do with my money . That is a pet peeve of mine. The day this forum tells me I have to pay just to post here, is the day I will go on with life. This is leisure activity for me. No more, no less. And I am definitely not paying for information, which may not be true 

No worries.  And please don’t think I was trying to tell you what to do with your money.  If I came across that way I apologize.  I was simply just trying to help clear things up.

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

No worries.  And please don’t think I was trying to tell you what to do with your money.  If I came across that way I apologize.  I was simply just trying to help clear things up.

That’s fair . Like I said there is just a lot of ambiguity going on. And then you got people doing complete 180s on the guy and painting different narratives . It’s really Odd .

people have been asked to donate to help the board. the eaglesnest forum is just a thank you. and it is fair to say it might peek some interest in some enough to donate. i was here before the two boards merged and in fifteen or more years this is one time they asked for anything. this place is set up to meet friends and make friends and discuss all things auburn and beyond. the only way i could see anything wrong was if they demanded folks contribute or leave. i just do not get it.

On 7/9/2021 at 5:23 PM, 80Tiger said:

I don’t see it that way. Our athletic programs are a mess. Supposedly coaches complaints about their budgets have triggered this and that the only program we outspend in football is Vandy. Don’t no if that is true or not.

The budget cuts were +2 yrs ago after baseball made the CWS, basketball made the F4 & if I'm not mistaken equestrian won a NC.  Staff cuts in the AD + a 10% cut for all sports was issued by Greene and folks on here loved that he was being so responsible.  Travel/food/lodging were going the discount route during those cuts as well.  Personally, I felt like it was a mistake and stated so on this board.  I felt  Greene needed to realize Auburn is an SEC school not a Buffalo level program.  Auburn should be spending in tandem with our main rivals if we wanted to be able to consistently compete with them.  

Something has changed if coaches are voicing complaints to the point where the Prez has inserted a watch dog to evaluate the AD. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, keesler said:

The budget cuts were +2 yrs ago after baseball made the CWS, basketball made the F4 & if I'm not mistaken equestrian won a NC.  Staff cuts in the AD + a 10% cut for all sports was issued by Greene and folks on here loved that he was being so responsible.  Travel/food/lodging were going the discount route during those cuts as well.  Personally, I felt like it was a mistake and stated so on this board.  I felt  Greene needed to realize Auburn is an SEC school not a Buffalo level program.  Auburn should be spending in tandem with our main rivals if we wanted to be able to consistently compete with them.  

Something has changed if coaches are voicing complaints to the point where the Prez has inserted a watch dog to evaluate the AD. 

At a minimum, every department needs a conservative 3% increase every year to keep with inflation alone.  Without this, every department is working with less and less money every year.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, eaglenest said:

this is nit-picking, now Allen is responsible for decades of Auburn failures to upgrade. Greene could pull a aTm and redo everything and some in this fan base will find something else to **** about, I'm out.. oh wait Sonny Galloway say's hello!?!?

Tell me you don’t know what’s going on without telling me you don’t know what’s going on …

• Haha 1

The fact that teams were taking busses on some if these trips is alone enough to go after the guy. 

I'll be damned if I'm a major recruit spending 8 hours in a bus wheb every other real team is flying. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

At a minimum, every department needs a conservative 3% increase every year to keep with inflation alone.  Without this, every department is working with less and less money every year.

Agree 100%!

IMHO, programs that were at the top of their game shouldn't have a 10% cut in their budget.  As I stated in my previous post - Basketball coming off a F4, Baseball making the CWS, Equestrian winning a NC at the time the cuts were made.  Those programs were tops and to come home and immediately have to cut expenses by 10% was asinine IMO and a slap in the face of coaches that were fielding excellent programs.  

Now here we are a couple of years later and IF no increases have been made after that 10% cut, then every program is behind in their operating budget.  I'm not throwing blame one way or the other, I just never liked the optics of the football or basketball teams going the discount route for travel/lodging/meals.  It looked cheap and I never want Auburn to appear discounted to cheap in comparison to the top programs in this conference.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

The fact that teams were taking busses on some if these trips is alone enough to go after the guy. 

I'll be damned if I'm a major recruit spending 8 hours in a bus wheb every other real team is flying. 

AD Greene was praised on here for his fiscal awareness and folks saw no problem back then with the measures he took to cut spending.  Someone directed him to make those cuts but that doesn't change the fact that it looked cheap from an optics standpoint. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I completely agree when people say that major college athletic budgets are getting out of control in their spending and building new facilities, perks, etc. 

BUT At the same time, that's just the way the 'game' is played right now and Auburn needs to play the game if it wants to ever win anything. 

IF the constrained budget issue is true then, I'm sure it feels great for Greene to underspend other programs and be able to show a large budget surplus, but if that surplus comes at the expense of Auburn Athletics underperforming, especially the major 3 sports, then seats will start to increasingly go unsold and donations will dry up and we might not have the financial capability to keep up with our 'Superpower' rivals at that point. 

College Athletics at this level is big business and in Big Business, if you aren't constantly expanding to keep up with your rivals you'll eventually be swallowed up.   

6 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Tell me you don’t know what’s going on without telling me you don’t know what’s going on …

Tell me you aren't TIRED of the constant DRAMA coming out of AUBURN year after year! and then all of the I can  FIX auburn crowd comes onto every board with there solutions and now all of Auburn unnecessary gossip is now on the front porch in stead of the back porch and then some of you can't understand why we are not thriving. 

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

Tell me you aren't TIRED of the constant DRAMA coming out of AUBURN year after year! and then all of the I can  FIX auburn crowd comes onto every board with there solutions and now all of Auburn unnecessary gossip is now on the front porch in stead of the back porch and then some of you can't understand why we are not thriving. 

I'm tired of constant Auburn Drama, but you don't make things better by sweeping all the problems into a closet and pretending they don't exist. Maybe things getting more out into the open is the push that the powers that be at Auburn need to finally decide to clean up and get rid of all the 'reasons' Auburn has so much drama continually.  

6 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I completely agree when people say that major college athletic budgets are getting out of control in their spending and building new facilities, perks, etc. 

BUT At the same time, that's just the way the 'game' is played right now and Auburn needs to play the game if it wants to ever win anything. 

IF the constrained budget issue is true then, I'm sure it feels great for Greene to underspend other programs and be able to show a large budget surplus, but if that surplus comes at the expense of Auburn Athletics underperforming, especially the major 3 sports, then seats will start to increasingly go unsold and donations will dry up and we might not have the financial capability to keep up with our 'Superpower' rivals at that point. 

College Athletics at this level is big business and in Big Business, if you aren't constantly expanding to keep up with your rivals you'll eventually be swallowed up.   

So, 10 years ago were we not at this point then as well? FOF has broken ground we did get Auburn Arena but 3 years in everything should be GUCCI.. we want to give a coach 4 years to get his or her recruits in in order for him or her to have their foot print on there program, but he get's what year 1? year 2? year 3? which is it.

I think everyone needs to step back from the cliff. As bad as some of y'all are making this sound, it comes across to me like the guy either has legal issues or some sort of personal scandal we don't know about. If either of those were the case, he would have been terminated with cause by now. 

Also we need to remember that Gogue stood firmly by AG during the hiring process, and Burgess was one that helped AG navigate the waters and was on the subcommittee that broke off during the drama, took control of the search, and helped AG interview and hire coach Harsin. I'm not saying things haven't changed, but I am skeptical that the good ole boys are sending Gogue and Burgess to get Greene as revenge. For all we know, Rane and the other good ole boys may have come to like Harsin over the last 6 months. Both Gogue and Burgess are first class, competent administrators that don't act on impulse. They proved during the search that they too are not afraid to stand firm to the good ole boys by having AG's back and hiring Harsin. 

Seems like several coaches who are not earning their paychecks with their pitiful results this year are using the budget cuts as an excuse to justify their unacceptable results. Burgess will work to mediate the issues and find a compromise. My guess is that some of the smaller programs get an increase in budget, and Baseball may get the tires rolling on more facilities improvements. Until proven otherwise, I just don't see the need to look at this as some catastrophic event. 

• Like 3

I just need something tangible to point to as to why we have all the sudden turned on the AD. So far reasons I’ve seen posted for think the AD sucks is budget reasons. And I’ve also seen it posted that Greene just stopped doing his job and that is why oversight is being given. 

I straight up don’t believe Greene just stopped showing up to work. A man does not make it to where he is if that is his work ethic. 

So it has to be the budget cuts right? Well how do I as a fan see the budget issues? In  football we are breaking ground on a new complex. We have a much larger  recruiting support staff and a larger strength and conditioning staff. 

We just got a new football coach and a women’s basketball coach. Both are considered good hires in most circles. And regardless if they actually turn out to be good or not neither I would consider a cheap hire. 

We have a pretty well respected baseball staff and so far none have been jumping for better situations so I wonder how big of a deal that bus ride was??

To me this feels like people behind the scenes stirring up stuff cause they don’t like Greene for whatever reason. Maybe they wanted Steele as head coach and got blocked? Maybe they just liked the good ol boy network better?? I’m not sure why the blowback now but it looks like sour grapes to me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am glad we are having real conversation and there is some logic being implemented in this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

38 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

LOSING CAUSES THIS MUCH MORE. I agree we shouldn't be extreme in our measures, but the bottomline is ALL THREE SPORTS UNDERPERFORMED LAST YEAR. I am expecting big things from all three coaches this year. Bruce Pearl pass was last year. CBH gets a subtle pass this year but there is expectations. Apparently the baseball coach is the maddest of the bunch per other boards. Surely this can be worked out, but we better see some increased performance too. 

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

LOSING CAUSES THIS MUCH MORE. I agree we shouldn't be extreme in our measures, but the bottomline is ALL THREE SPORTS UNDERPERFORMED LAST YEAR. I am expecting big things from all three coaches this year. Bruce Pearl pass was last year. CBH gets a subtle pass this year but there is expectations. Apparently the baseball coach is the maddest of the bunch per other boards. Surely this can be worked out, but we better see some increased performance too. 

I'm curious what other boards you view?  I'm rarely online with any consistency (life's hectic), but when I am I always come here and that's about it for my viewing all things AU. 

3 minutes ago, keesler said:

I'm curious what other boards you view?  I'm rarely online with any consistency (life's hectic), but when I am I always come here and that's about it for my viewing all things AU. 

the rant

247 board

The bunker (Rarely).

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

What exactly was for me? I haven't had multiple people tell me anything either. And come on let's be real why would I pay when I just randomly get my posts deleted when I don't break a rule, and I don't even get an explanation as to why. 

And a board where a hammer is dropped or you are reprimanded when social justice is discussed but the mods are cool when people say the opposite they'll like the posts and what not.

Like the fan base itself this board is skewed a certain way towards certain politics....and now that money is involved from a business standpoint they are going to placate towards the demographics they need to. They might not even agree personally, I understand that, and it's cool as I have many on here that I like. But it's only 2-3 that I feel that would really stand with me. I'm more likely to get chastised by a mod before one comes out and speak out. But I do get many people that hit me up in pm's about but it's much more impactful in public, but I imagine that would effect stuff because of the demographic and hence the conundrum. 

And I don't know this part to be true but it looks as you already have a situation of trolling passive aggressively the you don't know what we know stuff. But I just know football....

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, DAG said:

So that makes me ask myself as far as basketball and football what could the AD do to improve the season? I don't see much.

• Like 1