Texas & OU to join SEC

KnightTiger

2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

?

The SEC network posted a pod system which I am pretty sure will resemble what it will look like.

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

It is really crazy how much these schools hate each other. Consensus seems the Aggies don't want to be in a pod with tu. TU thinks the Aggies are wimps if they don't face them in the pod, but wouldn't care either way. Texas really wants to renew their rivalry with Arkansas, even though Arkansas hates them. I don't think the SEC will put them in the same pods. I saw one aggy fan say we will be like Auburn now lol. 

Much conflict as a casual Texas fan.

Bigbird's proposal was pretty nice in that regard (different pod from UAT). But I still can't with how weak the north would be.

Edited by AUwent

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

The SEC network posted a pod system which I am pretty sure will resemble what it will look like.

Ok; thanks man.

I literally don't use (pay) for TV service until late Aug and then turn it off after the bowls.  I don't find much good on TV anymore and my hobbies are more important to me. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Beaker said:

Ok; thanks man.

I literally don't use (pay) for TV service until late Aug and then turn it off after the bowls.  I don't find much good on TV anymore and my hobbies are more important to me. 

Makes perfect sense. I saw it online though.

• Like 1

Texas state lawmakers have voiced concerns to Gov. Greg Abbott about the Texas Longhorns leaving the Big 12, and drafted a bill requiring legislative approval of conference realignment.

Now they’ve gone and gotten the government involved, oh boy!

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

4 minutes ago, toddc said:

Texas state lawmakers have voiced concerns to Gov. Greg Abbott about the Texas Longhorns leaving the Big 12, and drafted a bill requiring legislative approval of conference realignment.

time to adjust on the fly, just like a collapsing pocket:

Grab Oklahoma and bring OSU with them.  Or Baylor.   Let Texas join the Pac12 and keep their horn network. 

33 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Much conflict as a casual Texas fan.

Bigbird's proposal was pretty nice in that regard (different pod from UAT). But I still can't with how weak the north would be.

But the northern pod would be competitive with each other, making the pod competitive. Their champion might not be in comparison to the other champions, but there would at least be competition to be the northern champion

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, toddc said:

Republicans are about to find out the limits of their power...FOOTBALL!!

2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

time to adjust on the fly, just like a collapsing pocket:

Grab Oklahoma and bring OSU with them.  Or Baylor.   Let Texas join the Pac12 and keep their horn network. 

Austin would fit in with the Big 12

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 1716AU said:

There’s a lot at stake for Texas and the other schools there and I understand why they’re getting involved. Don’t make it a right/left thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, toddc said:

There’s a lot at stake for Texas and the other schools there and I understand why they’re getting involved. Don’t make it a right/left thing.

Get the tree trunk from your own eye first.

I would say the same if it were California.

13 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

Get the tree trunk from your own eye first.

I would say the same if it were California.

I’m sure you would! 😆 Don’t know what the misquoted Bible verse has to do with anything though.

1 minute ago, toddc said:

I’m sure you would! 😆 Don’t know what the misquoted Bible verse has to do with anything though.

Didn't misquote.  

47 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

You mean like the time that Gov Ann Richards blocked Texas from going to the B12 without Baylor and TTU? Oh wait, she was a Democrat......not to mention Texas' worst & most unpopular governor of modern times. 

It happened before, and there is a real chance it will happen again this time. What are the chances?

This time, the Speaker of the House is a Texas Ex. Lt Gov Dan Patrick, the most powerful member of the state gov, is a U of Maryland alum and also a sports aficionado (owned sports bars and was a sportscaster at one point). He will understand the business side of it I suspect. Governor Abbot is a Texas Ex and Vandy law school alum, so I suspect he favors this regardless of what he might say in public with reelection looming.

So, in summary, I don't see the will at the state level to stop this, unlike the previous realignment, where Ann Richards (Baylor) and the Speaker of the House (TTU) were both grads of schools that would have been left out. 

Edited by TigerHorn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Oklahoma State would be a great addition and I think they would leap at the opportunity to be in the SEC.

A little surprised they haven't tried to make Oklahoma drag them along

Both are tied together thru legislature just like ole miss and state, Virginia tech and Virginia.  Us and bammer. And I think unc and nc state are tied together thru legislature as well......

• Like 1

Just one conference, no divisions or pods. Use the NFL model to schedule conference games every year, where the more successful teams get a more difficult schedule based on the previous year's record. Just play a set # of conference games and let the schools schedule their out of conference games. That would even competitive balance and adjust on the fly for cyclical surges in team success. Never happen I know.

Following up to my last post, a bill has been drafted by Baylor, TTU and ATM alums in the Texas House and Senate. Here's the link: https://www.foxnews.com/sports/texas-lawmakers-draft-bill-to-require-approval-of-conference-realignment

Know what's funny about this? The bills can't budge until the Texas Democrats return from their disingenuous grandstanding party in DC, where they went to avoid voting on a bill that absolutely no one with a moral mind should object to. Don't even bother responding if you don't know exactly what is in the bill. No doubt some of them are alums of the affected schools as well. It will be ironic if this is the straw that breaks the camel's back and some of them lose their seats over it. 

Edited by TigerHorn
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Beaker said:

Ok; thanks man.

A fellow traveler…..welcome

My guess is if they keep east and west divisions they’ll insert Texas and Oklahoma in the West, and move Missouri over to the West and move AU and uat over to the East.  At least geographically that would make sense and the divisions are fairly equal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

Dudes, just stream games. Why pay?

I will sit and watch another game here or there.    I should probably look into that. 

1 minute ago, Beaker said:

I will sit and watch another game here or there.    I should probably look into that. 

Yea, so stream them all. I've "borrowed" every game played for the last like 7 years. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TigerHorn said:

You mean like the time that Gov Ann Richards blocked Texas from going to the B12 without Baylor and TTU? Oh wait, she was a Democrat......not to mention Texas' worst & most unpopular governor of modern times. 

It happened before, and there is a real chance it will happen again this time. What are the chances?

This time, the Speaker of the House is a Texas Ex. Lt Gov Dan Patrick, the most powerful member of the state gov, is a U of Maryland alum and also a sports aficionado (owned sports bars and was a sportscaster at one point). He will understand the business side of it I suspect. Governor Abbot is a Texas Ex and Vandy law school alum, so I suspect he favors this regardless of what he might say in public with reelection looming.

So, in summary, I don't see the will at the state level to stop this, unlike the previous realignment, where Ann Richards (Baylor) and the Speaker of the House (TTU) were both grads of schools that would have been left out. 

Now don’t go bringing facts into this...some people on here will accuse you of misinformation and try to get you banned.   

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1