Texas & OU to join SEC

KnightTiger

1 hour ago, TigerHorn said:

Nope, it's not. Texas had the wisdom way back when to make their legislature part-time. Less time for them to meddle in the citizens' affairs that way. The current session will be extended until the COVID carriers come back from DC and vote on the voting bill, then it will end very quickly and the legislature will not be in session again until well after this is a done deal. 

Yes.... cannot breathe without addressing that critical voting law... whatever the heck it does.

55 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@TigerHorn does any of that stuff even matter with governor Abbet being a Texas alarm and now reportedly supposedly knowing about Texas and OU going to the SEC About joining our conference most of the time in the process and being on board with it?

If the full legislature was in session, they might have enough votes to make it interesting, but even then without the Speaker, Lt Gov or Gov, nothing will happen. At least one of those three has to be onboard. Speaker is a Texas Ex, Lt Gov is a Maryland alum and former sportscaster of all things. Of course the full legislature is not there, and special sessions will be called until they are forced back, with Abbott facing a tough reelection campaign against two guys solidly to the right of him. When they do finally come back, it will probably be just long enough to admit defeat on the voting integrity bill, then they will all bolt. 

7 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Yes.... cannot breathe without addressing that critical voting law... whatever the heck it does.

Shines a light where the cockroaches like to hide. For example, it permits election watchers from either party to actually observe the count. Almost every blue county blocked poll watchers in some way or other last election. It also permits online streaming of the count process so citizens can watch it. Openness. What a concept. Go read the bill. Or remain ignorant. Your choice. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, AlaskanFAN said:

You know it’s not just football to look at:

UT Men’s sports:

Track and Field got 1st at B12 indoor & Outdoor and 6th at NCAA outdoor Championship

Baseball 50-17 went to semifinals in Omaha

Basketball 19-8 won the B12 basketball tournament but lost 1st round of NCAA tournament 

Golf 3rd in B12 & 25th at NCAA

Swimming and diving 1st in B12 and 1st at NCAA Championships 

Tennis 24-6 had a few make it NCAA tournament 

UT Women’s Sports:

Volleyball 27-2 record lost in National Championship to Kentucky.

Track & Field got 1st at B12 indoor & Outdoor and tied for 6th at NCAA outdoor championship

Tennis team record of 31-1 winning B12 title and having players advance to NCAA title match in singles and doubles.

Swimming & Diving won the B12 and finished 3rd at NCAA National Championships

Softball 43-14 and went to a Super regional

Basketball 21-10 and won 3 games in March Madness before getting mud stomped by S. Carolina in game 4 of the elite 8.

OU Mens Sports: 

Baseball 27-28 (Beat us 4-3)

Basketball 16-11 made it to 2nd round of NCAA tournament and ran into Gonzaga

Golf 2nd in B12 and 2nd at NCAA tournament 

Tennis 11-15

OU Women’s Sports:

Softball 56-4 B12 champion and schools 5th National Championship 

Gymnastics 2nd in B12 and 2nd at NCAA tournament 

Basketball 12-12

Golf 4th in B12 and 7Th at NCAA National Championships

Tennis 15-7 made it to NCAA tournament but exit in the first day

Volleyball 4-14

Soccer 1-12-1

I am not trying to be a prick, but only two sports generate real revenue or a profit.   I would imagine those are the only two that really matter except at the end of the year when some trophy is handed out.    This whole thing is about money.

Face it - nobody in their right mind would want TX and all their baggage.  At the end of the day, Sanky is ahead of the curve and will have first dibs on the first superconference and the most money.   

I have been on the record that I don't like it.   In the long run, I think it is bad for college FB, as a whole.  I suspect many FB programs will fold up shop in the next 10 yrs.    Not the biggies but those barely holding on.  I wonder if  Sanky is thinking CFB should take on the NFL down the road.   Lots of people won't turn on the NFL anymore (myself included). 

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I am not trying to be a prick, but only two sports generate real revenue or a profit.   I would imagine those are the only two that really matter except at the end of the year when some trophy is handed out.    This whole thing is about money.

Face it - nobody in their right mind would want TX and all their baggage.  At the end of the day, Sanky is ahead of the curve and will have first dibs on the first superconference and the most money.   

I have been on the record that I don't like it.   In the long run, I think it is bad for college FB, as a whole.  I suspect many FB programs will fold up shop in the next 10 yrs.    Not the biggies but those barely holding on.  I wonder if the Sanky is thinking CFB should take on the NFL down the road.   Lots of people won't turn on the NFL anymore (myself included). 

Before we had all these things that would’ve supposedly killed CFB implemented, let’s say 2013, I think we were at a good point…but I don’t think it was sustainable. Too many people disliked the NCAA, the SEC simply grew too powerful, sports media became too interested in focusing on its money makers/viewership, sports personalities in CFB became too large to not make money, and the idea of two teams being even close to clear national champion contenders just became too idealistic 

I don’t know what the end result is, or if it’ll even be worth all this change, but I know that what we had was built on a house of cards that was going to fall at some point. Again, I liked the product out there back in the day. But too many actors that cultivate the product simply didn’t 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 1

This is going to be unpopular I imagine.

I have read and now heard about the advantages of the 4x4 pods and the 9 game SEC schedule.   Great, each team will see each others stadium every4 yrs..(sarcasm).

I doubt those games like Auburn vs Oregon or Penn State or Washington are going to show up in the future.  Say what you will and argue, but the name of the game is win 7 - 8 SEC games and beat the cupcakes so you make the playoffs (12).  It won't be about getting to Atlanta as much.   (Side note:  ND will avoid a conference as long as possible because they have the easiest path to the playoffs.  That mess needs to be fixed!   ND would never last playing a tough schedule, week in and week out.)  

I would rather play 8 SEC games in some kind of rotation and every SEC school have to play another team from the other superconference.  This guarantees some outside conf marquee matchup.  Let's build some bragging rights as the season unfolds, not just at bowl time.   Basketball does something similar and this could work for FB.  It's another way exercising dominance during the season.    Cannibalism within the SEC could become more pronounced and possibly hurt our chances of getting 4 or more teams in the playoffs.   There will be some national voters start to really let their bias effect rankings  after this goes down.    This should be a real concern.  

But, since Sanky didn't care what I had to say about Texas, I doubt he takes my call on this great idea either.   That guy is starting to get under my skin!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Before we had all these things that would’ve supposedly killed CFB implemented, let’s say 2013, I think we were at a good point…but I don’t think it was sustainable. Too many people disliked the NCAA, the SEC simply grew too powerful, sports media became too interested in focusing on its money makers/viewership, sports personalities in CFB became too large to not make money, and the idea of two teams being even close to clear national champion contenders just became too idealistic 

I don’t know what the end result is, or if it’ll even be worth all this change, but I know that what we had was built on a house of cards that was going to fall at some point. Again, I liked the product out there back in the day. But too many actors that cultivate the product simply didn’t 

Are you saying you liked things before the 4 team playoff?

The 2004 Auburn Tigers are calling your phone as we speak I am pretty sure.    The playoffs had to evolve and  the  playoff committee allows favoritism (al la bama not winning their division but get placed into the playoffs).  I am ok with expanded playoffs, but I think superconferences are bad for CFB.  

3 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

Shines a light where the cockroaches like to hide. For example, it permits election watchers from either party to actually observe the count. Almost every blue county blocked poll watchers in some way or other last election. It also permits online streaming of the count process so citizens can watch it. Openness. What a concept. Go read the bill. Or remain ignorant. Your choice. 

LMAO - As though any of that warrants a special session.  Fact

6 hours ago, Beaker said:

Are you saying you liked things before the 4 team playoff?

The 2004 Auburn Tigers are calling your phone as we speak I am pretty sure.    The playoffs had to evolve and  the  playoff committee allows favoritism (al la bama not winning their division but get placed into the playoffs).  I am ok with expanded playoffs, but I think superconferences are bad for CFB.  

Can we stop using 2004 as an argument for OOC games? The SEC is NEVER going to be that weak again.

• Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, AU9377 said:

LMAO - As though any of that warrants a special session.  Fact

The fact is you are ignorant of what happened here. I'm not, I have direct knowledge of what transpired. The majority of the voters, as represented by the members of the legislative and executive branches, want this. That's democracy. Your heroes attempted to subvert democracy by grandstanding and created a super spreader event in the process. Fact. Now, let's drop this and let the thread get back to football. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

10 hours ago, Beaker said:

This is going to be unpopular I imagine.

I have read and now heard about the advantages of the 4x4 pods and the 9 game SEC schedule.   Great, each team will see each others stadium every4 yrs..(sarcasm).

I doubt those games like Auburn vs Oregon or Penn State or Washington are going to show up in the future.  Say what you will and argue, but the name of the game is win 7 - 8 SEC games and beat the cupcakes so you make the playoffs (12).  It won't be about getting to Atlanta as much.   (Side note:  ND will avoid a conference as long as possible because they have the easiest path to the playoffs.  That mess needs to be fixed!   ND would never last playing a tough schedule, week in and week out.)  

I would rather play 8 SEC games in some kind of rotation and every SEC school have to play another team from the other superconference.  This guarantees some outside conf marquee matchup.  Let's build some bragging rights as the season unfolds, not just at bowl time.   Basketball does something similar and this could work for FB.  It's another way exercising dominance during the season.    Cannibalism within the SEC could become more pronounced and possibly hurt our chances of getting 4 or more teams in the playoffs.   There will be some national voters start to really let their bias effect rankings  after this goes down.    This should be a real concern.  

But, since Sanky didn't care what I had to say about Texas, I doubt he takes my call on this great idea either.   That guy is starting to get under my skin!

1) We'll still play a big non-conference game every year.  With a 12 team playoff, there's not much to lose.

2) We almost made a 4 team playoff in 2017 with two losses and the conference had two representatives that year in the playoff.  Stop worrying about SEC cannibalism.

3) ND plays a harder schedule than you think.  Half of it is against the ACC.  This year they also play Wisconsin, Cincinnati, USC, and Stanford.  The only true "cupcake" game they have is Toledo.  I'd worry about the softness of a Pac 12 schedule long before concerning myself with ND.

• Like 1

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

The fact is you are ignorant of what happened here. I'm not, I have direct knowledge of what transpired. The majority of the voters, as represented by the members of the legislative and executive branches, want this. That's democracy. Your heroes attempted to subvert democracy by grandstanding and created a super spreader event in the process. Fact. Now, let's drop this and let the thread get back to football. 

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah................

10 hours ago, Beaker said:

I doubt those games like Auburn vs Oregon or Penn State or Washington are going to show up in the future.  Say what you will and argue, but the name of the game is win 7 - 8 SEC games and beat the cupcakes so you make the playoffs (12). 

Cannibalism within the SEC could become more pronounced and possibly hurt our chances of getting 4 or more teams in the playoffs.   There will be some national voters start to really let their bias effect rankings  after this goes down.    This should be a real concern.  

When you have OU and Texas added to the mix to play, why do you need Penn State or Washington? With those two added, CBS now has enough games to choose from each week to consider having two marquee games, rather than just one. Mo TV dollahs

WRT to cannibalism, if we replace LSU with a rotating game that might be Texas, OU, or one of the lesser teams, that helps or is a net zero in SOS. Right now, we get every major power but UF, and we occasionally get them too. In a pod, if we have bammer in-pod, plus UGA as a permanent external, that's four of our games. That leaves five games that aren't necessarily a team at the level of LSU recently (last year excepted), which is no tougher than our usual schedule unless we pull UF/OU/Utexas on a strong year. Even then, as long as we don't pull two of those three + LSU, then we're about even with where we are today.  

6 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah................

Good, you've got nothing, so let's get back to football. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

When you have OU and Texas added to the mix to play, why do you need Penn State or Washington? With those two added, CBS now has enough games to choose from each week to consider having two marquee games, rather than just one. Mo TV dollahs

CBS no longer has the rights to SEC football starting in 2024 as an FYI

Edited by Brad_ATX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Somebody may have already mentioned this but as long as Notre Dame has the NBC contract and doesn’t have to split it with anyone why would they join any conference?  Unless their split would be bigger than anyone else’s they aren’t going anywhere.  The real winner of this deal is ESPN.  If Ohio State and Michigan somehow make it to the SEC, Fox will have lost its 4 largest fan bases for College Football.  

• Like 1

This whole Texas and OK to SEC is just blowing my mind for some reason. NIL.....playoff expansion and now conferences being blown up is one heck of an offseason!

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

E7T2VdBX0AoWGmZ?format=jpg&name=900x900

I'm trying to figure out where the 'greater academic achievement' comes from bc we are adding two juggernaut sports universities?

And I really haven't seen where the SEC feels it gives them, in the end more money. It's all about the money, right? 

Didn't we just enter into a new tv agreement for 2025? So how does brining in 2 new teams allow even more money to flow to the conference?

19 pages is too much reading. So I’ll just skip to the end and give my 2 cents. The only groups that benefit from this decision are Texas and Oklahoma. The SEC as a whole gains very little from it since we already have Texas viewership from A&M, and it isn’t like we need them to add prestige. The only major rivalry that would be gained is Texas/TAMU, and TAMU is strongly against it, probably because it will crush their recruiting. The schools are also poor fits culturally for the SEC. I’m betting this ends up being like the Aaron Rodgers story when all is said and done. The talking heads will make it out to be a big deal, but it is never really going to happen.