Greene interviewed for Mich. St job

Tigerpro2a

Well good.  So the things people said would happen is happening.  I’m sure Auburn already has someone chosen if he gets job.

• Like 1

I think most people know… not his first interview, and he hasn’t been picked up by anyone else.

Wonder why he hasn’t been hired?

The 50-year-old Lansing native is expected to get the job over Auburn athletic director Allen Greene. 

Edited by AU-24
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, woodford said:

If an AD leaves Auburn for MSU (idc where he’s from) it’s time to reevaluate some things   

I don’t think this is a case of him choosing MSU over Auburn as much as Auburn putting him on notice that it would fully support him finding another home.  This has been the rumor at least since all that mess back in July.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I don’t think this is a case of him choosing MSU over Auburn as much as Auburn putting him on notice that it would fully support him finding another home.  This has been the rumor at least since all that mess back in July.

Yeah I’m sure it sucks for him because Auburn’s boosters are a nightmare but still. If he leaves I hope they carry out a very thorough search for a new one. We need stability, a fixer of messes, and someone who wants to elevate all sports. 

• Love 2

This has been an optically a huge mess 

Also, even if you don’t like the job he did, him “failing” this quickly likely means they return to the status quo with the next hire…which isn’t great either 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is looking kind of silly. 

Does it not hurt Auburn Athletics to have an AD who appears to be a lame duck? whether due to his own desire to get out or for Auburn's desire for him to leave, it doesn't really matter IMO. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger

We look so bad in this. I commend all parties for trying to be professional and have Allen quietly take a new job. This has to stop. He keeps whiffing, has a foot out the door, and we have to have Burgess in there. A bad look publicly. Time for all of them to sit down and find a solution. Gogue, Greene, and Burgess are level headed and professional men so I believe they will find a fair solution for both parties 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, AU-24 said:

I think most people know… not his first interview, and he hasn’t been picked up by anyone else.

Wonder why he hasn’t been hired?

The 50-year-old Lansing native is expected to get the job over Auburn athletic director Allen Greene. 

What are his other interview stops since you follow the guy so closely for reasons we can't know? I'm sure the guy hired already being in the system and being an alum; and just being a better fit at that particular school had nothing to do with his hire. I'm sure it was things Greene did wrong, am I right?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, woodford said:

If an AD leaves Auburn for MSU (idc where he’s from) it’s time to reevaluate some things   

In some ways, MSU has a more robust athletic department than we do.

Top Tier hockey arena

80k football stadium like us

14k hoops arena

Plus, East Lansing is a cool college town

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cole256 said:

What are his other interview stops since you follow the guy so closely for reasons we can't know? I'm sure the guy hired already being in the system and being an alum; and just being a better fit at that particular school had nothing to do with his hire. I'm sure it was things Greene did wrong, am I right?

I believe he was rumored as an interviewee for USCw job.

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

This has been an optically a huge mess 

Also, even if you don’t like the job he did, him “failing” this quickly likely means they return to the status quo with the next hire…which isn’t great either 

There's some truth there.....

• Love 1

36 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Top Tier hockey arena

14k hoops arena

Money is a huge problem for them at the moment but East Lansing is a great college town I did a lot of work in Williamston which is just outside of East Lansing. Some nice bars and girls

"MSU’s athletic department is projected to operate at a $30 million deficit this fall, despite cutting $50 million during the 2020-21 school year. Beekman eliminated the school’s men’s and women’s swimming and diving programs after last season."

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Top Tier hockey arena

14k hoops arena

To me, he seems like someone that would do well at a decent sports program without having to do much with booster politics. Seems like quite a few B10 programs operate like that 

57 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Top Tier hockey arena

14k hoops arena

Fair enough. I take back part of my arrogant statement. I still think Auburn carries a little more weight though. 

MSU is a great dormant CFB program imo we know how successful they can be with average talent. 

Greene came into a toxic environment because of the way certain key boosters have run roughshod over the program he also had a President who wanted him to cut the budget. He stood up to the boosters and we got Harsin who many think will be a homerun hire. The budget things he did have hurt the program  so Burgess is brought in after Gogue becomes interim President again.  If Greene doesn't follow through on the Budget cleanup prior to Gogue he is in trouble because he did what Leach wanted. I am not saying he was totally ready for this job and that there isn't more to it then the two things but standing up to Boosters while good for Auburn means when something goes wrong they won't back you and then the budget put him in a bad position. Ideally I would like this to simmer down and have him grow into the job with help from Burgess but I doubt that will happen.

• Like 3

• WarTiger changed the title to Greene interviewed for Mich. St job

I still support Greene. I think he's done a good job outside of the stuff that came to light with the budget cuts. I really don't think the good ol boys are going to hire new blood or someone with a diverse background... And I dread them running the athletic department.. Maybe it's the General but who knows what will happen with this bunch. The last few years have been a mess. I'm glad AG hired Harsin. I hope this budget stuff gets sorted out. We'll see what happens. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

I don't frequent the board like I used to but I, like everyone else, knows why he believes Greene didn't get the job (and why he wants him out)....it has nothing to do with Greene's performance or decisions.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Greene came into a toxic environment because of the way certain key boosters have run roughshod over the program he also had a President who wanted him to cut the budget. He stood up to the boosters and we got Harsin who many think will be a homerun hire. The budget things he did have hurt the program  so Burgess is brought in after Gogue becomes interim President again.  If Greene doesn't follow through on the Budget cleanup prior to Gogue he is in trouble because he did what Leach wanted. I am not saying he was totally ready for this job and that there isn't more to it then the two things but standing up to Boosters while good for Auburn means when something goes wrong they won't back you and then the budget put him in a bad position. Ideally I would like this to simmer down and have him grow into the job with help from Burgess but I doubt that will happen.

Unfortunately, and I said it about Gus - Auburn is not a program where coaches OR AD's need to be on-the-job-training.  Experience matters, knowledge of how to run a big time athletic program matters. The SEC's expanding to add even more elite level athletic programs Auburn better be finding people with knowledge and experience if they want to be able to stand side by side with our SEC rivals, the OU/UT additions & whoever else may be joining the conference.

On the budget cut, Greene was praised to high heaven for showing fiscal responsibility when he trimmed the AD staff and cut every program by 10% across the board.  I fail to see why the same people that praised him then would turn around and admonish him for his frugality now?

Auburn is likely to be in the market for a new President AND a new AD very soon.  Gogue came out of retirement, he's likely got one foot out the door to his second retirement. 

• Like 3

Gogue is competent. I don’t think he’ll hire another AD or promote Tim Jackson to AD. Gogue stood up to the good ole boys for the coaching search. Why would he cower to them now when he’s on the way out with nothing to lose? I believe he’s smart enough to allow new Pres to hire the next AD.

Even if Greene was in better standing, new Pres will still probably want his own guy. Just how it goes. Ideally, Greene is aware of the timeline. He’ll eventually have to take what he can get, even if it’s a step down in title and salary. The big question is how long does this continue and who will be the interim once the bad aid is finally ripped off 

• Like 1