Greene interviewed for Mich. St job

Tigerpro2a

41 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

I still support Greene. I think he's done a good job outside of the stuff that came to light with the budget cuts.

feel like those really came down form Leath

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Money is a huge problem for them at the moment but East Lansing is a great college town I did a lot of work in Williamston which is just outside of East Lansing. Some nice bars and girls

"MSU’s athletic department is projected to operate at a $30 million deficit this fall, despite cutting $50 million during the 2020-21 school year. Beekman eliminated the school’s men’s and women’s swimming and diving programs after last season."

I married a girl from Williamston.  Lived in Lansing for 4 years.

• Like 1

Everybody wants to blame every little thing that goes wrong or even appears to go wrong on the "good ol' boys". Not one of you has the wallet to keep any of the programs afloat if your complaints magically made them all go away. I don't either. So if you like having some sports to watch, maybe you should tone down the criticism just a touch. They don't get a pass, but they are not all th' Debbil Hisself as some want to portray them. You're talking about people who give more to AU in one year than you will in a lifetime. 

Some of you are determined to make this about race and diversity. It's, in all likelihood, not. AG can be a good man, and competent, and simultaneously be awful at "company" politics. I know this all too well from personal experience. Right or wrong, company politics exists at every level in every organization bigger than 2 people, regardless of how "diverse" it is or isn't. In a booster-facing position like this, being good at company politics is a mandatory job requirement. That just might be a reason he's not getting the jobs he's interviewed for. 

For the record, I think AG has done a pretty solid job navigating some challenging waters during his time here. For whatever reason, it's becoming evident he's not a fit, and just maybe he's the guy who wanted to be somewhere else. Sooner or later, that shows through in your personal interactions, and it will poison the well that feeds company politics. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

What's driving this opinion? 

Interviewing for multiple jobs + comments from insiders on this board and others. As I said above, I think he's been solid and I lean toward keeping him, if you mean my personal opinion. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

Interviewing for multiple jobs + comments from insiders on this board and others. As I said above, I think he's been solid and I lean toward keeping him, if you mean my personal opinion. 

Yeah that's what I was curious about. Read several people mention fit, but wondering what people are referring to.

• Like 1

Early on in AG’s tenure at AU, he interviewed for the SoCal AD job.  For him to have one foot out the door at that point suggested to me that he didn’t want to be at AU.  I was hoping he would be with us for a long time.  I wish him well. 

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Yeah that's what I was curious about. Read several people mention fit, but wondering what people are referring to.

I read fit to mean that this isn't his destination job. You can tell when a job is s stepping stone. Ultimately Auburn should be a destination job.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, keesler said:

Unfortunately, and I said it about Gus - Auburn is not a program where coaches OR AD's need to be on-the-job-training.  Experience matters, knowledge of how to run a big time athletic program matters. The SEC's expanding to add even more elite level athletic programs Auburn better be finding people with knowledge and experience if they want to be able to stand side by side with our SEC rivals, the OU/UT additions & whoever else may be joining the conference.

On the budget cut, Greene was praised to high heaven for showing fiscal responsibility when he trimmed the AD staff and cut every program by 10% across the board.  I fail to see why the same people that praised him then would turn around and admonish him for his frugality now?

Auburn is likely to be in the market for a new President AND a new AD very soon.  Gogue came out of retirement, he's likely got one foot out the door to his second retirement. 

When I say grow into the job I didn't mean he was not qualified but that Auburn is unique because of past influence of the boosters and anybody coming in from the outside had to grow into the job. The budget cutting he did 10% across the board he was told to do by the President at the time. An AD is beholden to the vision of the President so it did what the President requested, we don't know if privately he objected.  As for a new President wanting to replace the AD, I would hope a new President would take some time to learn about Auburn and not just the athletic department and come up with his plan for the future.  Then after coming up with the plan including the parts around athletics he would determine if Greene is the man for the job or not.  I don't want a new President who just brings in new people I want one who takes his time studies the environment then decides who to keep and who not to keep.

Under Green we brought in Harsin and we finally started the Football complex those are two huge achievements. The football complex helps all athletics as the old complex can be used by other sports. Now I hope to hear that Greene has a plan to bring other facilities for smaller sports up to SEC standards especially things like Softball and Baseball complexes. We have an up and coming Volleyball coach and just hired a new swimming coach all under Greene.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

Ironically, he just sent us an email, right? He must have been watching the board :pc:. Just the obligatory "football season is starting and welcome back to Jordan Hare" message. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOn7k4OHmBU

Championship mentality. Invest in our student athletes. In the video he didn't look or sound like some embarrassing gudolboa (a la Housel). I don't have firsthand knowledge about rumors. Guy has not checked out, though that may be in his plans. AU could have done a lot worse in recent years. I wish him the best whether at AU or elsewhere.

Edited by AUx
clarity
  • Like 2

I don't know why any one is surprised.  One way or the other, Greene is not going to be Auburn's AD in a year.  It would be better if he left on his own …

To that end, he’s doing what any one would be doing who has been told their contract will not be renewed - looking for his next gig.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I don’t think this is a case of him choosing MSU over Auburn as much as Auburn putting him on notice that it would fully support him finding another home.  This has been the rumor at least since all that mess back in July.

Clue me in. I must have missed something. All what mess back in July?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, keesler said:

Auburn is not a program where coaches OR AD's need to be on-the-job-training.  Experience matters, knowledge of how to run a big time athletic program matters.

Some would argue that the two previous AU ADs had significantly less on their resume than Green had when they took the job. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You can just see what's about to happen to us as far as karma. We're going to get what we ask for

Good ole boy from Alabama that knows Rane really well.  Will be ranked last on list from selection committee.  BOD will select him anyways.

Edited by W.E.D

11 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Some would argue that the two previous AU ADs had significantly less on their resume than Green had when they took the job. 

Oh most definitely.  Greene took the job in the midst of some embarrassingly troubled times, multiple legal issues he inherited from Jacobs.  We had lawsuits and Title IX complaints from the Meyers softball s#it, basketball was going through hell with the Persons fiasco, baseball was recouping from Sunny Galloway lawsuit, there was another lawsuit where a HC of one program physically confronted an assistant (i forget which team) and Auburn was beat to a pulp in the media non-stop in the worst ways possible.

Greene accepted the job knowing what he was getting into and I commend him for it.  He brought authority and a professional business demeanor to the department that was lacking under JJ, and I appreciate that.  I wish him the best as he continues to interview at other programs and hope he finds what he's looking for as an AD.  Auburn will move on when the time comes for better or worse. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

You can just see what's about to happen to us as far as karma. We're going to get what we ask for

What karma? lol the guy doesn’t want to be here. 

14 minutes ago, woodford said:

What karma? lol the guy doesn’t want to be here. 

It's pretty clear he's not really wanted here and knows he'll be replaced with the new Pres. 

Edited by W.E.D

18 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

Did you see him get on a plane, drive his car to anyone of these interviews? when you are good at your job people come after YOU!!! it is no different when a school hires a SEARCH FIRM to find it's next head coach, there are all sort of innuendo and speculations, some leave, some have no interest, some get raise to stay at their current location. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see through this junk, Greene is well Qualify to be Auburn AD especially compared to what was there prior to his arrival. If you read that article MSU has serious financial problems and has gotten rid of several programs and people want to B**** about 10% give me a freaking break......... I see you fan base I know what this is all about.

21 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

Did you see him get on a plane, drive his car to anyone of these interviews? when you are good at your job people come after YOU!!! it is no different when a school hires a SEARCH FIRM to find it's next head coach, there are all sort of innuendo and speculations, some leave, some have no interest, some get raise to stay at their current location. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see through this junk, Greene is well Qualify to be Auburn AD especially compared to what was there prior to his arrival. If you read that article MSU has serious financial problems and has gotten rid of several programs and people want to B**** about 10% give me a freaking break......... I see you fan base I know what this is all about.

Not sure why you're replying to me on this. I said I wanted to keep the guy.