Greene interviewed for Mich. St job

Tigerpro2a

7 hours ago, keesler said:

Thanks for posting this abw.

The summer rumor that Gogue had to place Burgess in the AD because coaches went over Greene's head to Gogue was troubling.  I don't care for insubordination or dissention in the ranks.  IF coaches had grievances with their boss (Greene) then they should've exhausted all efforts to deal directly with him and not take it Gogue. Of course IF Greene wasn't physically present and accessible to his coaches, then who were they supposed to report to? 

Another summer rumor was that Burgess was in charge of basically auditing the AD finances, because some coaches were pissed about budget cuts.....

IF Greene stopped coming to the office (hard to believe) and delegated his duties to others, that's weird.  You have old guys like Gogue & Burgess making to the office with no problem why can't a young/fit AD do the same?

Gogue is a stickler for chain of command.  He always has been.  He does not micro-manage, which is why I can see him placing Burgess in the department.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2021 at 4:35 PM, TigerHorn said:

Everybody wants to blame every little thing that goes wrong or even appears to go wrong on the "good ol' boys". Not one of you has the wallet to keep any of the programs afloat if your complaints magically made them all go away. I don't either. So if you like having some sports to watch, maybe you should tone down the criticism just a touch. They don't get a pass, but they are not all th' Debbil Hisself as some want to portray them. You're talking about people who give more to AU in one year than you will in a lifetime. 

Some of you are determined to make this about race and diversity. It's, in all likelihood, not. AG can be a good man, and competent, and simultaneously be awful at "company" politics. I know this all too well from personal experience. Right or wrong, company politics exists at every level in every organization bigger than 2 people, regardless of how "diverse" it is or isn't. In a booster-facing position like this, being good at company politics is a mandatory job requirement. That just might be a reason he's not getting the jobs he's interviewed for. 

For the record, I think AG has done a pretty solid job navigating some challenging waters during his time here. For whatever reason, it's becoming evident he's not a fit, and just maybe he's the guy who wanted to be somewhere else. Sooner or later, that shows through in your personal interactions, and it will poison the well that feeds company politics. 

Good post.  People should not underestimate the feathers that got singed during the last coaching change.  We aren't just talking about one or two of the big boys, but a collection of them.  If they sour on you, you had best change their opinion or find a way out of town.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GAAubie said:

Some don't want to believe the truth. Conspiracy theory works better for them. I trust what WDEWDE says. Greene needs to go! I was stoked when he was hired, but it seems that he has checked out.

In your dreams..

8 hours ago, cole256 said:

Lol. I mean if I was hired and told to do a job but people don't like it so they bring somebody else in to make decisions....why am I here? But he's still supposed to come every day and be humiliated?

That in itself is part of the problem. People wanting to show no matter who's hired they are showing they are in control. 

And we'll forever be stuck with people who don't know a lick about what's in or how to relate to players and we'll keep making dumb ass decisions like the under armour deal and we'll be behind...  while guys here completely out of touch argue how it's not a problem or how they hate Nike for saying black lives matter or whatever. 

Agree!! nobody said nothing about Gus failing and falling all over himself, and, it's not even close IMOP that he was the worst coach to ever walk the sideline at Auburn. It's ok for Sexton and goober to swindle the brain trust into the 2017 renew, and now Gus takes his 21 million $ lucky charm down the road and it's okay, but, Greene now that's different, if he sneeze to loud he needs to go, sort of reminds me of a guy who spent 8yr in Washington.

• Dislike 1

So, if I understand: Greene is told to make budget cuts. He makes budget cuts and some want him fired for making budget cuts?  I don’t blame him for taking interviews. I never blame anyone for taking interviews. I don’t pretend to know the inter workings of our AD or Administration. I just think AG is an interesting, cool dude. I wish him good luck wherever it be. 

Edited by alexava
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, alexava said:

So, if I understand: Greene is told to make budget cuts. He makes budget cuts and some want him fired for making budget cuts?  I don’t blame him for taking interviews. I never blame anyone for taking interviews. I don’t pretend to know the inter workings of our AD or Administration. I just think AG is an interesting, cool dude. I wish him good luck wherever it be. 

Well, when the PTB, and/or the President tell you they will not be extending your contract, how you handled the budget cuts is the least of the reasons they told Greene that.

Budget cut mistakes didn't force him to interview, their wish to go a different direction at AD is causing him to interview.

• Like 1

AU is a tough place to be in a leadership position. As long as I can remember there has been a cultural dynamic with boosters and athletic/academic leadership that has both helped and plagued Auburn. I am not knocking boosters or leadership but I think most can agree, it's a noticeable and chronic characteristic of Auburn.

IMHO, a person can get to a certain age and in reflection start to notice patterns and cycles of behavior as they arch and come full circle. This culture has been on the rinse and repeat cycle for decades at AU. I love Auburn and I come from a long line of AU grads and one thing we have always agreed on is that it takes a strong and dynamic leader in both academic and athletics to navigate AU. I am all for bringing in new blood and perspectives but it does require a professional who understands this particular environment at the micro and macro level. It's not for the faint of heart. 

To start, I hope we are smarter about our next AU President because I doubt Gogue will come out of retirement a third time. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, eaglenest said:

In your dreams..

What?

11 hours ago, eaglenest said:

Agree!! nobody said nothing about Gus failing and falling all over himself, and, it's not even close IMOP that he was the worst coach to ever walk the sideline at Auburn. It's ok for Sexton and goober to swindle the brain trust into the 2017 renew, and now Gus takes his 21 million $ lucky charm down the road and it's okay, but, Greene now that's different, if he sneeze to loud he needs to go, sort of reminds me of a guy who spent 8yr in Washington.

I take it that you are/were an english major? Greene is the one interviewing and lying about it. I know that you can't see that thru your dark colored vision. Put down the pipe!

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

On 12/13/2020 at 3:34 PM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

As far as Greene. He’s made his own bed. Now he has to sleep in it. He is his worst own enemy. Hopefully at this time next year we will have a real legit AD in place. 

On 7/15/2021 at 10:30 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Greene went down and pisses off his guys in the department. Why? It's really just mind numbing. Alienate the most popular coach since Pat Dye, one you went to bat for and help keep his job. It's beyond comprehension. Myself, I caulk this up to ego. Greene has a big one. 

On 7/15/2021 at 10:43 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Why? No idea. How, just all the constraints and lack of attention to the basketball program. Promises not followed thru. I don't know much about the inner workings here, I'm not a basketball guy. Just the talk I've heard. 

On 7/19/2021 at 10:16 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Lot of truth here with Greene and the cuts and being held accountable. Lot of breakdowns on all levels here. But making promises and then backing off them, not returning phone calls or having meetings about this, is where Greene has gone wrong. That is why Greene is going to be gone. Why he did that, the way he did? Only Greene knows. 

Not trying to drag you into this WDE.  I just wanted to find quotes of yours to reiterate this is not a "Good Ole Boys" situation.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GAAubie said:

What?

I take it that you are/were an english major? Greene is the one interviewing and lying about it. I know that you can't see that thru your dark colored vision. Put down the pipe!

Will you make up your mind, which is it? Greene being shown the door? or is it a contract renew issue? or you don't want him here?!? because he is more than qualified for this job. Either way, if he is not here say next year, it is Auburn loss not Greene.

2 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

Will you make up your mind, which is it? Greene being shown the door? or is it a contract renew issue? or you don't want him here?!? because he is more than qualified for this job. Either way, if he is not here say next year, it is Auburn loss not Greene.

Greene is the one looking to leave. I thought that it was a great hire. I would have fired his ass after the first interview with USC 2019. If he's not committed and doesn't want to be the AD at Auburn, then get the HELL ON!  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Not trying to drag you into this WDE.  I just wanted to find quotes of yours to reiterate this is not a "Good Ole Boys" situation.

The only way this will proof to not be a “good ole boy” Situation will be based on the next hire. Nothing you quoted has proven such. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, aub4life said:

Heaven forbid we wind up with Tim Jackson.  He’s well liked by some boosters because he bends to them.

I hope he never rises to the level of his incompetence.

He already has.

• Like 3

What is clear from reading the comments and from talking to people in and around Auburn and/or the program, is that there isn't just one reason or one set of circumstances that has brought us to this point.  Anyone that is AD will make decisions from time to time that rub some the wrong way.  That is unavoidable.  In order to make those tough decisions, you have to have the firm support of your boss and at least one of the many groups of people that either support, lead or work in and around the university.  In other words, you have to choose your battles and you can't piss everybody off.  In more than one situation, ADAG has split the baby so to speak.  When you do that, you give someone or some group some of what they want in hopes of satisfying them, but not so much that they appear to have been given everything they wanted.  You have to possess a certain cache of prior leadership experience for that to garner you respect in a place like Auburn.  ADAG has clearly done nothing to warrant his dismissal.  If that was the case, the decision would have been made.  The best outcome would be for him to take another position running a respected athletic department.  I think it is safe to assume that is why he is interviewing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I think everybody understands your OPINION, you can't use an opinion to trump other guys opinion.

Even the posts that you quoted says there's a bunch that he or anybody else knows

• Dislike 1

I just feel like people aren't even using common sense as far as even trying to deduce the situation. Simple things like cutting the budget, does it even make sense to think that Greene out of the blue decided to cut cost for no reason?

Common sense would tell you that he was told to do so and he had to come up with ways how. What ways do any of you have? Do you think there's a bunch of options to do so? And if it's a problem to make cuts why not be mad at the people demanding that cuts be made?

As far as trying to point out anything done after being humiliated and shown that they want him replaced.....that's hilarious to me  How are you mad at somebody for interviewing when they can see it's a messed up situation to be in?

Edited by cole256
  • Like 4
  • Dislike 1

40 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I think everybody understands your OPINION, you can't use an opinion to trump other guys opinion.

Even the posts that you quoted says there's a bunch that he or anybody else knows

How is that an opinion though if WDE is telling us what happened and what is happening?  We also have an Auburn baseball coach on the donor side saying all of this is true.  I mean, what else do you want for it to be true?  Look at it even now, people like Red were saying Greene will be replaced by the next President and that they will help Greene find another job.  Now that the presidency search is happening, you see Greene interviewing at other schools.

It just seems to me of what was similarly happening with Malzahn.  You have a select few that would not believe the insiders saying Gus was not right for the job anymore no matter what was presented to them.

Do you not trust what WDE is saying?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAG said:

The only way this will proof to not be a “good ole boy” Situation will be based on the next hire. Nothing you quoted has proven such. 

I would agree with this.  I did some digging to find another quote.  I don't know if this helps or not but thought I would share.

On 7/19/2021 at 9:20 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This isn't some high conspiracy deal going on at AU with some huge power struggle. Folks need to calm down. This is about an AD who has pissed off some high profile, maybe the 2nd and one could argue he is the #1 most popular all time,  coaches at AU. One of his own doing. This isn't some power grab by the "old guard". Come to grips here people. 

Jimmy, the boggy man, Rane got to Bruce and turned him on Greene? Come on people. People are like a lot of hungry fish in a small pond here and are being caught at a record rate with some of this. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

How is that an opinion though if WDE is telling us what happened and what is happening?  We also have an Auburn baseball coach on the donor side saying all of this is true.  I mean, what else do you want for it to be true?  Look at it even now, people like Red were saying Greene will be replaced by the next President and that they will help Greene find another job.  Now that the presidency search is happening, you see Greene interviewing at other schools.

It just seems to me of what was similarly happening with Malzahn.  You have a select few that would not believe the insiders saying Gus was not right for the job anymore no matter what was presented to them.

No, I know how employment law works and I know you wouldn't hear anything but bad about Greene right now. I also know that there hasn't ever been a situation that has happened here where anybody knew the complete story and I know situations such as these the slightest missed detail can completely flip a situation.

It's funny that you use the Gus situation because I remember a very long time ago when some people pointed out things about Gus and it was explained away but come to find out years later that some things were true and others weren't but the people that were all well this person said it were completely wrong 

And I know a person should ALWAYS be wary on trying to tell other people they are wrong because this person is right. Like I said even in the posts you highlighted he's even saying there are some unknowns to the situation.

And no me and wde have a great relationship so there's no need to even do that. I trust that wde relays info that's relayed to him. Nothing more and nothing less

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I would agree with this.  I did some digging to find another quote.  I don't know if this helps or not but thought I would share.

Yeah but this seems to be about money more than anything else. If it was what people were accusing him for I figured he would be fired for cause by now 

12 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

He never said he didn’t trust WDE. However , WDE is getting his info form one side. I like to think there are three sides to every story . It’s actually very funny you say this because in other instances WDE has said the exact opposite of someone like RIR who runs the donor forum on this board. I am specifically talking about the allegations regarding CKS. So who should we trust more? I always rely On common sense for these things .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2