Greene interviewed for Mich. St job

Tigerpro2a

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

That Asst HC(Person) was forced on Pearl to put on his staff. Pearl had no leverage coming off of a show cause suspension, so he probably didn't have much say so in hiring him. After that, it was all Person that started this, not Pearl.

And all the lawyers involved including those helping Pearl, were deep into it bc Leath wanted him fired. 

If Greene went to bat for him Pearl has paid him back in 10 fold with his winning the SEC/ SECT, and making the Final Four. 

All that looks good for Greene, in keeping PEarl, so Pearl wanting something else for his program should have been been more agreeable to Greene, as opposed to treating Pearl's program no different that all the others when it came to cuts or restrictions...

Some can't comprehend this. It's a few of the same clowns that muddy most every thread. They don't want to see anything but what fits their agenda.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, keesler said:

I don't blame Bruce for Persons & the other 2 asst's actions, but it did happen under Bruce even though he was clueless about what was going on.  Bottom line, the basketball program ran up an enormous tab for legal fees, etc due to Persons actions.  Basketball drained hundreds of thousands and could still be draining funds for all we know.  Yet we are lead to believe the Bruce is/was pissed at Greene because of budget cuts?  Even after Greene saved BP's job and backed him at a very crucial time while the NCAA was breathing down AU's throat?

and helped give him a contract extension . Don’t forget that 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DAG said:

Oh don't you worry, you are going to get what you are asking for as @cole256 has once said. I guess that contract extension making him a top ten coach meant nothing either, huh? Do you think Green can make cuts without the permission of his bosses? Some of you guys just don't think.

Does that reply make any sense to you? Because it doesn't make a lick of sense to me. Maybe you can translate...

Just now, cole256 said:

Does that reply make any sense to you? Because it doesn't make a lick of sense to me. Maybe you can translate...

Basically it means that Bruce Pearl can kick and scream at AG all he wants because he got us to the final four. I don’t believe half of the stuff being said. BP is probably upset because of the cuts but AG can’t sign off to cuts by himself. He was hired to get us financial stable and to help raise money, particularly to get this performance only football gem in place. This idea that AG has done minimal for BP needs to die or are we taking that away from him too?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Basically it means that Bruce Pearl can kick and scream at AG all he wants because he got us to the final four. I don’t believe half of the stuff being said. BP is probably upset because of the cuts but AG can’t sign off to cuts by himself. He was hired to get us financial stable and to help raise money, particularly to get this performance only football gem in place. This idea that AG has done minimal for BP needs to die or are we taking that away from him too?

The problem is Leath was a terrible president. Hired a guy to do a job, then got fired, now his leftovers are taking the heat.

Unfortunately, no matter what happens there is going drama. Just the Auburn. We'll hire someone else new and in 2 years ppl will complain and cry bc apparently all of our boosters are spoiled children who prefer access and control over winning 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

The athletic department was financially stable before AG was hired.    I am not anti AG, but he wasn't hired for any one purpose alone.  His biggest attribute was that he was thought to be a bright up and coming athletic director. He worked with fund raising at Ole Miss, but that wasn't the overriding impetus to his being hired.  The committee liked him, recommended him & Leath hired him.  He was relatively inexperienced, having only been an AD for 2 years at Buffalo.  Nonetheless, his hiring produced some very good PR for Auburn and everyone seemed to be on board with his taking the reigns.  The problem is that he was hired by a bumbling idiot parading as AU President. That isn't AG's fault, but that was his cache of support and it no longer exists.  Jay Gogue is a professional, as such he supported AG's decisions and stood up for him during the coaching drama at the end of the 2020 season.  Even so, standing your ground and pushing back against people that have well earned influence is bound to leave scars.  Nobody can survive long term in that position without a core of support to lean back on.  AG needs the unyielding support of someone like Bruce Pearl.  If there is any light between the two, that will be exploited by others to chip away at AG's authority.  That is just how it works.

38 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

The problem is Leath was a terrible president. Hired a guy to do a job, then got fired, now his leftovers are taking the heat.

Unfortunately, no matter what happens there is going drama. Just the Auburn. We'll hire someone else new and in 2 years ppl will complain and cry bc apparently all of our boosters are spoiled children who prefer access and control over winning 

Unfortunately, you are correct . He is a casualty . What pisses me off is how his reputation is going through the ringer now , which is a joke. Just a few months ago , everyone was on board with him. Now all of a sudden “the family” out to get him. That is why I laugh at that slogan lol. We just as grimy as everyone else, which is why you got to move correctly.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DAG said:

That's one thing I can't get. I know how irrational our fan base can be and I know how it's natural for people to be followers

But I literally have seen like 5 of us at most use logic as far as if he made cuts why not be mad at the people wanting cuts in the first place. We finally being successful why are they cutting stuff anyway? 

And then all the people that were arguing about athletes not getting paid they are students, and the athletic department getting too much money and takes away from the school are the same people going at AG the most......this is some ridiculous stuff man.

• Like 3

Who knows anymore? Auburn is a #@!$show and it's making me want to turn it off. 

• Facepalm 1

15 hours ago, DAG said:

Unfortunately, you are correct . He is a casualty . What pisses me off is how his reputation is going through the ringer now , which is a joke. Just a few months ago , everyone was on board with him. Now all of a sudden “the family” out to get him. That is why I laugh at that slogan lol. We just as grimy as everyone else, which is why you got to move correctly.

It's wild ppl completely overlook the FOF, saving Bruce, hiring Harsin and a few other things to push whatever agenda they might have.

18 hours ago, cole256 said:

That's one thing I can't get. I know how irrational our fan base can be and I know how it's natural for people to be followers

But I literally have seen like 5 of us at most use logic as far as if he made cuts why not be mad at the people wanting cuts in the first place. We finally being successful why are they cutting stuff anyway? 

And then all the people that were arguing about athletes not getting paid they are students, and the athletic department getting too much money and takes away from the school are the same people going at AG the most......this is some ridiculous stuff man.

First, we don't know if others above AG wanted the cuts. Is it not possible that AG wanted the cuts, and that his new boss, giving him some room to grow, allowed them too, and then the backlash from the coaches including one of our best, Pearl.

All that being said, maybe its the way AG made the cuts that are the problem?

And more than likely, this scenario happened....coaches complained, AG stood his ground, coaches went above AG or around him, and now pressure is on the President, who then realizes he agreed to a problematic issue, then assigns Burgess to the AD to review AGs changes, and recommend solutions to better satisfy influencial coaches. 

And here we are...

I didn't have a problem with AG, but if the job is too big for his style of administering, then there is nothing wrong with moving on from him. They are not telling him he's fired, but just saying they want to go in a different direction after his contract is up. 

8 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

First, we don't know if others above AG wanted the cuts. Is it not possible that AG wanted the cuts, and that his new boss, giving him some room to grow, allowed them too, and then the backlash from the coaches including one of our best, Pearl.

And more than likely, this scenario happened....coaches complained, AG stood his ground, coaches went above AG or around him, and now pressure is on the President, who then realizes he agreed to a problematic issue, then assigns Burgess to the AD to review AGs changes, and recommend solutions to better satisfy influencial coaches. 

And here we are...

I didn't have a problem with AG, but if the job is too big for his style of administering, then there is nothing wrong with moving on from him. They are not telling him he's fired, but just saying they want to go in a different direction after his contract is up. 

Why would ADAG piss off all the coaches in his 1st move as AD?

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Why would ADAG piss off all the coaches in his 1st move as AD?

You never heard of a boss who thought it was important to let the established coaches know who was boss so the first thing they do is piss in their corner to let them know he means business?

Happens a lot in hierarchy of administrations...

And those who brought him in or were his best supporters told him to do what he needed to do, especially after a GOB AD JJ had been running the show.

And remember none of these HCs were any of his hires...

Just speculating ofc. That's all of us doing in some way...

Edited by steeleagle
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

And here we are...

I pretty much know he wouldn't make cuts without somebody ok ing it. No one person just make budget cuts. And your most likely scenario doesn't make sense. They complained to the people who actually ok'd making the cuts so you don't have a problem letting AG go.....whatever float your boat, it's pretty clear it's not really about him though to me

10 hours ago, cole256 said:

it's pretty clear it's not really about him though to me

I'm curious as to your take on what it's really about. I can think of many different things it could be, but I don't have a frickin' clue. Seriously, I'd like to hear your real take on why he may be leaving (forced or by choice).

14 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I'm curious as to your take on what it's really about. I can think of many different things it could be, but I don't have a frickin' clue. Seriously, I'd like to hear your real take on why he may be leaving (forced or by choice).

It's about people in power letting everybody know who's exactly in power. And as gullible as our fan base are there won't be any real change anytime soon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am a Greene fan for multiple reasons:

1. Standing up to the big boys during football coach search and Getting Harsin

2. Hiring Brent Crouch from USC as a volleyball coach - I expect we will be competitive in another year or so and looking better now.

3. Hiring Ryan Wochomurka as swimming coach - I expect him to start the trend to an improved swimming program.

4. Hiring Johnnie Harris as womans basketball coach - Again I expect to see Auburn moving back to the top in the SEC in a few years.

4. All the hires were done in a well thought out and planned manner.

5. The budget cuts he is getting heat for. He did what the President at the time wanted him to do.

6. Football complex finally started under his watch.

7. Comes across great in tv Interviews.'

8. Some new Assistant coaches in track and field - not sure of their long term impact yet. 

Basically he pissed off some big money guys to handle the Harsin hire like it should have been and he cut the budget at direction of the President, and he was not an Auburn guy but an outsider that is the real reason we are seeing people talking about letting him go.  I think it would be a huge mistake.  

The Akron game showed that Harsin has installed a hungry, physical Dye like intensity at Auburn (Yes I know it was Akron). The new hires are all coaches that I think will get Auburn back where we belong in swimming, football, and basketball and where we have never been in Volleyball.  

I believe that because of these hires and some established coaches in gymnastics, soccer, men's basketball that Auburn will soon be competing for the best all round program in the SEC.  

What would be really sad is letting him go or forcing him out just as our all around performance across multiple sports goes up because of his hires.

• Like 6

• 11 months later...
On 8/31/2021 at 9:59 PM, RunInRed said:

I don't know why any one is surprised.  One way or the other, Greene is not going to be Auburn's AD in a year.  It would be better if he left on his own …

To that end, he’s doing what any one would be doing who has been told their contract will not be renewed - looking for his next gig.

Almost one year ago to the date …

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

On 9/3/2021 at 3:47 PM, DAG said:

Basically. When it's going good...we're all "FAMILY". It's sad that some made his job so hard. If you feel unwanted at your job and people are trying to get rid of you, I'm not going to wait around for people to get rid of me. I never faulted him for interviewing at other places. I 100% believe he wanted to be at Auburn. But he would've been crazy not to prepare himself for another job how everything went down. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Basically. When it's going good...we're all "FAMILY". It's sad that some made his job so hard. If you feel unwanted at your job and people are trying to get rid of you, I'm not going to wait around for people to get rid of me. I never faulted him for interviewing at other places. I 100% believe he wanted to be at Auburn. But he would've been crazy not to prepare himself for another job how everything went down. 

Correct . But this isn’t no family . It’s no different than most places . I respect the hell out of AG. He has kept a low profile and he has not said one bad word about Auburn. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

On 9/3/2021 at 12:52 PM, DAG said:

Thank you!! People want to blame AG when it's convenient and take away credit when it suited. The bottom line is he was here when alot of good happened including extending Pearl, going to bat fire Pearl, seeing our bball program, softball, baseball and football program to through rough times and triumph as well. I do think Harsin will be justified in the long run if he doesn't leave on his own. The optics are justified. Allen Greene maybe interviewed for other jobs because he didn't feel supported, realized that folks wanted to much power behind the scenes and wanted him to be a yes man... Him leaving isn't a good thing and I hope we can rectify it. 

5 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Thank you!! People want to blame AG when it's convenient and take away credit when it suited. The bottom line is he was here when alot of good happened including extending Pearl, going to bat fire Pearl, seeing our bball program, softball, baseball and football program to through rough times and triumph as well. I do think Harsin will be justified in the long run if he doesn't leave on his own. The optics are justified. Allen Greene maybe interviewed for other jobs because he didn't feel supported, realized that folks wanted to much power behind the scenes and wanted him to be a yes man... Him leaving isn't a good thing and I hope we can rectify it. 

People can sit here and play victim all they want but all I am going to say is optics matter. It might not matter to Auburn folks but it matters.

• Like 2

Some of these comments did not age very well.

Also, it’s hard to believe this thread was a year ago already.