Worst Hands for a team I've ever seen

AUght2win

It is perfectly valid for a person who played football at almost any level to tell someone who has never played football at all that certain parts of playing football are harder than they think. 

This is so silly.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Bad QB, bad receivers, maybe okay maybe not offensive line but definitely not good enough to hide the other two... just not a very talented offense outside of RB and maybe TE. (Although I'm hearing more and more that the TEs haven't been playing well overall. Would make sense with Landen King suddenly getting real reps against uga of all teams.)

That's one thing that firing the wr coach fiasco did.....it opened my eyes. Actually now that you bring it up you were actually part of that discussion. Someone tried to make a case that the o line didn't have talent but the wr's did. And when I broke it down....we don't have weapons that makes anyway think look out at wr. At least not that play.

If I was a corner playing against us I'd think don't let 0 get behind me and if anybody catches hit them and they probably drop it. I'm not worried about getting physically bullied or out jumped. I'm not worried about covering the deep quarter of the field too much. I'm not worried about giving toomuch cushion because I'm not thinking the qb can throw in a tight window. If anything I'm telling myself to make sure I'm in tune because I won't feel any threats so don't get too confident.

Now you bring Seth and flash back......I have an ENTIRE different game plan which will make it easier for the o line, qb, and hb's just because I have to honor that wr so much

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

No it doesn't count to you because you want to make dumb arguments. But actually playing in high school and trying to catch bad throws do count. Because you remember how hard it was and you couldn't do it as opposed to a person that never tried but says it's catching a ball how hard can it be?

Right, and the baseless argument that no one else here has played HS football b/c they disagree with you is kinda weak.

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

But ok. Your feelings were hurt.

Bless you heart...I comment on some asinine passive aggressive comment.  Don't make that comment then the next sentence say this....

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Now you have to exaggerate

You're always the one quoting consistency...yet the most frequent abuser

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Would make sense with Landen King suddenly getting real reps against uga of all teams.)

That dude looked long and lean. I might just keep him in the slot and create some nice mismatches. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Right, and the baseless argument that no one else here has played HS football b/c they disagree with you is kinda weak.

Bless you heart...I comment on some asinine passive aggressive comment.  Don't make that comment then the next sentence say this....

You're always the one quoting consistency...yet the most frequent abuser

Ok. Keep lying. Do your thing. I'm trying to talk to people who want to talk football

Edited by cole256
  • Haha 1

We need a better OL, a better QB, and better playmakers at the WR, TE positions. Bottom line in this game for the offense.. The Wrs/Rbs/TEs dropped balls that should have been caught and our QB was not throwing the ones he should have. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That's one thing that firing the wr coach fiasco did.....it opened my eyes. Actually now that you bring it up you were actually part of that discussion. Someone tried to make a case that the o line didn't have talent but the wr's did. And when I broke it down....we don't have weapons that makes anyway think look out at wr. At least not that play.

If I was a corner playing against us I'd think don't let 0 get behind me and if anybody catches hit them and they probably drop it. I'm not worried about getting physically bullied or out jumped. I'm not worried about covering the deep quarter of the field too much. I'm not worried about giving toomuch cushion because I'm not thinking the qb can throw in a tight window. If anything I'm telling myself to make sure I'm in tune because I won't feel any threats so don't get too confident.

Now you bring Seth and flash back......I have an ENTIRE different game plan which will make it easier for the o line, qb, and hb's just because I have to honor that wr so much

Yeah. When guys like Canion and Javy Johnson and Jet Johnson aren't even getting serious looks... yikes. 

Hudson seems capable of making the hard catches from time to time. Otherwise, it's just not a good group and that wasn't Corn Williams's fault. Not saying that he was the right guy for the job but hopefully folks understand now that- like you've said for a long time- WR coaches don't magically make guys have great hands. 

I can't believe we're still paying Gus Malzahn for Auburn football to be so much less talented than our main rivals. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Ok. Keep lying. Do your thing. I'm trying to talk to people who want to talk football

🤡

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah. When guys like Canion and Javy Johnson and Jet Johnson aren't even getting serious looks... yikes. 

Hudson seems capable of making the hard catches from time to time. Otherwise, it's just not a good group and that wasn't Corn Williams's fault. Not saying that he was the right guy for the job but hopefully folks understand now that- like you've said for a long time- WR coaches don't magically make guys have great hands. 

I can't believe we're still paying Gus Malzahn for Auburn football to be so much less talented than our main rivals. 

We need some play makers. It hurt us losing that wr from Texas. He was exactly what we need as far as type of talent to bring in

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

It was a strange crew overall, but apparently CBS knew what they were doing. That Bama game was nuts. 

And, same here. Anyway, I'm one of the few who is in the "I'm encouraged by what I'm seeing" camp, despite the poor execution by players. 

On a side note, both crews are awful.    Danielson and his side kick are really bad.   Danielson raved about A&M’s qb are strength and he overthrew a guy ten yards.   Murray tried to hide his love of UGA but couldn’t.   

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yes it was. It was still catchable, but unnecessarily difficult to catch. Even Aaron Murray- a quarterback- said it was a bad throw.

To the people who say "if it hits you in the hands you're supposed to catch it", it's fine for you- as a fan- to say that. Because that is a thing that fans say. Nobody in football says that, because it's not true. But feel free to wave your hands around and scream that you're a fan who doesn't actually know much about the sport. That's your right, as a fan. 

Played receiver and tight end my entire HS career. That's as much a resume as most on this board. Of course people say you should catch the ball if it hits your hands.

Are you guys really, honestly, doubling down on this idea? That's fine. I just wouldn't be too vocal about it.

5 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

On a side note, both crews are awful.    Danielson and his side kick are really bad.   Danielson raved about A&M’s qb are strength and he overthrew a guy ten yards.   Murray tried to hide his love of UGA but couldn’t.   

I've never been much of a Gary Danielson fan. However, I think Brad Nessler is one of the best in the business. He and Blackledge were my favorite crew when they were still calling games together.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Has anyone else noticed that the complaint is about WR drops but the most discussed drops in the game on this thread revolve around a rb and a te?!!!!!     😀😀😀😀😀😀

I will show myself out…..

Not really. Title of the thread is intentionally worse hands for a "team". 

8 minutes ago, MaxP said:

What's worse? The back and forth on this thread or the hands on our team? 

🤷‍♂️ twomaytoh - twomahtoe…

Edited by CCTAU
  • Haha 1

Ok so let's look at this from a big picture perspective recognizing this "drops" problem permeates through the entire WR group, TEs and RBs at time. 

The options are basically deciding if the "drops" are primarily on the person catching or the person throwing. My personal view is that in this case, the issue is mostly on Bo Nix. Hear me out before you go all "but ball touched their hands!" on me. 

I never played football at a high level but played other sports a pretty high level and I can tell you for a FACT that when your teammates are unpredictable it makes everyone's job harder. To me, that is the biggest issue with Bo. I was at the game this week and had a great view of the full field and he consistently  throws slightly behind, slightly out in front, short balls with too much heat,  etc from an accuracy standpoint. But he has much bigger issues. He also consistently throws to the wrong guy. He consistently missed open receivers and attempted harder throws that what were needed. Look at the missed TD to the TE on the first drive. The HB is more open in the flat and completely uncovered. He also leaves the pocket when he shouldn't, flees into pressure to his right when he needs to slide left, and simple refuses to throw the ball deep down field. We had sever plays early in the game where there were go routes down the sideline that our WR had a step on the DB and Bo just wouldn't throw it. All of these things make him unpredictable. What that does it make it hard for every other guy on the passing play to know what is about to happen. PERIOD. He rarely gets the ball out on time, this sporadic play makes it impossible for the offense to get in a rhythm, and I would speculate that it makes it hard to call plays as well. To me that is the biggest reason I would like to see what TJ can do with extended time. He is on time with most of this throws, and I think the entire O would respond well. 

I think Bo is a good player, a great competitor and he clearly works hard and does all the things off the field and at practice the coaches ask. But you have to ask yourself if the problem is with every single pass catcher we have or with the primary guy delivering them. 

And for everyone that keeps saying that due to the drops this one isn't on Bo, he bears plenty of blame or we didn't watch the same game. From the dropped snap on the first drive in the redzone for no reason, to the fastball (slightly behind) that hits Shivers in the helmet, he was far from flawless. His 46 sacks yards (due largely to running backwards under pressure) were a killer. That's basically points, a 46 yard drive usually equals a score. 

There is a reason, beyond "drops" that Bo has a career 58% completion rate. Unless every receiver we've had in the last three years are all bad (a couple of the guys he threw to are on NFL rosters). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Not really. Title of the thread is intentionally worse hands for a "team". 

Crazy thought someone actually quoting what you post and not making it up isn't it?

40 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Ok so let's look at this from a big picture perspective recognizing this "drops" problem permeates through the entire WR group, TEs and RBs at time. 

The options are basically deciding if the "drops" are primarily on the person catching or the person throwing. My personal view is that in this case, the issue is mostly on Bo Nix. Hear me out before you go all "but ball touched their hands!" on me. 

I never played football at a high level but played other sports a pretty high level and I can tell you for a FACT that when your teammates are unpredictable it makes everyone's job harder. To me, that is the biggest issue with Bo. I was at the game this week and had a great view of the full field and he consistently  throws slightly behind, slightly out in front, short balls with too much heat,  etc from an accuracy standpoint. But he has much bigger issues. He also consistently throws to the wrong guy. He consistently missed open receivers and attempted harder throws that what were needed. Look at the missed TD to the TE on the first drive. The HB is more open in the flat and completely uncovered. He also leaves the pocket when he shouldn't, flees into pressure to his right when he needs to slide left, and simple refuses to throw the ball deep down field. We had sever plays early in the game where there were go routes down the sideline that our WR had a step on the DB and Bo just wouldn't throw it. All of these things make him unpredictable. What that does it make it hard for every other guy on the passing play to know what is about to happen. PERIOD. He rarely gets the ball out on time, this sporadic play makes it impossible for the offense to get in a rhythm, and I would speculate that it makes it hard to call plays as well. To me that is the biggest reason I would like to see what TJ can do with extended time. He is on time with most of this throws, and I think the entire O would respond well. 

I think Bo is a good player, a great competitor and he clearly works hard and does all the things off the field and at practice the coaches ask. But you have to ask yourself if the problem is with every single pass catcher we have or with the primary guy delivering them. 

And for everyone that keeps saying that due to the drops this one isn't on Bo, he bears plenty of blame or we didn't watch the same game. From the dropped snap on the first drive in the redzone for no reason, to the fastball (slightly behind) that hits Shivers in the helmet, he was far from flawless. His 46 sacks yards (due largely to running backwards under pressure) were a killer. That's basically points, a 46 yard drive usually equals a score. 

There is a reason, beyond "drops" that Bo has a career 58% completion rate. Unless every receiver we've had in the last three years are all bad (a couple of the guys he threw to are on NFL rosters). 

Thank you for this analysis. While the receivers have looked really bad at times (Jackson’s repeated egregious drops come to mind) I have a hard time believing that the entire WR group, the TEs, and now the RBs just are poor catchers of the ball. The passes to Shenker and Shivers were both poorly placed without touch and were a big part of the bad result; really no excuse on either of those passes to not put them in a place where the receiver can make the play on the ball without crazy effort. Look back at Mac Jones last year. Yes, he had multiple elite receivers but also threw an incredibly catchable ball in places where his guys could easily make the catch and then really do something after the catch. That is a big part of an effective passing game vs. what we are seeing from AU right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

I've never been much of a Gary Danielson fan. However, I think Brad Nessler is one of the best in the business. He and Blackledge were my favorite crew when they were still calling games together.

Is very good imo

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

He might be better at making a certain throw but he wouldn’t have the ability to get out of certain situations that Bo can.      I’ve seen a couple of throws from him that make me scratch my head.    
I think the biggest question would be for me is can he see the field and make the right decision with the football.  For instance, the play were its two receivers going out, max protection and Bo has already given up on the correct read before it was even allowed to present itself with no reason.   I think Finley can make all the throws that Bo can, but I’m not sure he can make the plays Bo makes.  
Except for a couple of plays that he didn’t even attempt , I thought Bo played a winnable performance against perhaps the best team in the country.   

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

So. In other words, he should just hang out in the pocket and get sacked 6-10 times a game then you’ll believe the OL really can’t block?

When a QB can’t trust his line, everything else becomes hectic. 
It all starts at one place, the OL. Three stud RBs and we can’t run the ball. And we struggle pass blocking. 

Mybe TJ can see better over a line that is on skates standing straight up. I agree, He definitely needs a series or two just to find out.

Edited by CCTAU

2 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

So. In other words, he should just hang out in the pocket and get sacked 6-10 times a game then you’ll believe the OL really can’t block?

When a QB can’t trust his line, everything else becomes hectic. 
It all starts at one place, the OL. Three stud RBs and we can’t run the ball. And we struggle pass blocking. 

Mybe TJ can see better over a line that is on skates standing straight up. He definitely needs a series or two just to find out.

Bo took 4 sacks for a loss of 46 yards! Yes, I'd rather a qb stand in and try to throw the ball. You're going to take some sacks, that is part of playing good teams. Bo's scrambles have hurt as much as they have helped. If we left him in there to lose the GA state game would you feel the same? Take away Bo's rushing and our RB's averaged a pretty solid 3.3 yards per carry. I'm not buying that our line is trash and ALL the receivers just can't catch. 

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 1.34.00 PM.png

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Bo took 4 sacks for a loss of 46 yards! Yes, I'd rather a qb stand in and try to throw the ball. You're going to take some sacks, that is part of playing good teams. Bo's scrambles have hurt as much as they have helped. If we left him in there to lose the GA state game would you feel the same? Take away Bo's rushing and our RB's averaged a pretty solid 3.3 yards per carry. I'm not buying that our line is trash and ALL the receivers just can't catch. 

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 1.34.00 PM.png

You're blind or delusional. One or the other.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

He could throw it away, he could throw an accurate pass to someone, he could try to run forward instead of backwards... lots of alternatives to what you're proposing. 

Not that the OL is quite as bad as you're suggesting. 

Don't remember exactly where it was in the game but there was a play where Bo clearly had nowhere to go but did have plenty of time and personal space to lob one to the sidelines. Nope. Runs backwards and takes a 10+ yard sack. He's still very prone to bad decision making. (And inaccuracy.)

• Like 1