Owen Pappoe: Thoughts on him shutting it down and declaring for the NFL??

W.E.D

Never gonna blame a kid or be mad at then for doing what's in their best interest financially, like sitting out the bowl game.

He entered the season with a lot of hype, but does he really have enough tape from the first 3 games to back that hype up? He'll probably test really well at the combine, but I can't help but think he's a fringe day 2 pick at beat right now.

Maybe another injury riddled year is worrying him, but figured he could improve his stock

13 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Never gonna blame a kid or be mad at then for doing what's in their best interest financially, like sitting out the bowl game.

He entered the season with a lot of hype, but does he really have enough tape from the first 3 games to back that hype up? He'll probably test really well at the combine, but I can't help but think he's a fringe day 2 pick at beat right now.

Maybe another injury riddled year is worrying him, but figured he could improve his stock

Hope he doesn’t go but if he has decided to go probably better to skip any bowl game (better for him).

6 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Hope he doesn’t go but if he has decided to go probably better to skip any bowl game (better for him).

If he can't get healthy in time, it makes sense. Hope he gets drafted high. 

There's really nothing on field that will raise his stock. He is what he is, now to get his final boost is how he tests and interviews.

36 minutes ago, cole256 said:

There's really nothing on field that will raise his stock. He is what he is, now to get his final boost is how he tests and interviews.

I'd say this about Zakoby, but I feel like OP hasn't come close to maxed out himself at the college level.  Not sure he'd be a day one pick, but maybe a difference between 5/6th and 3rd.  Lots of money difference.  Maybe I'm wrong.

• Like 1

Even if he doesn't bolt for the NFL, I'm not sure there is any reason for him to come back this year and risk aggravating his ankle or whatever is bothering him.  If TJ comes out against USCe and balls out I may have to change my stance for the Iron Bowl.  

He missed too many games this year. He’ll lose money declaring. If he was somebody like Jadeveon Clowney who already had enough tape to show he’d be done by his junior year then he could leave but Pappoe isn’t a Clowney type

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Even if he doesn't bolt for the NFL, I'm not sure there is any reason for him to come back this year and risk aggravating his ankle or whatever is bothering him.  If TJ comes out against USCe and balls out I may have to change my stance for the Iron Bowl.  

Completely agree on shutting it down for the year. Bowl game at best if he wanted to return

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I'd say this about Zakoby, but I feel like OP hasn't come close to maxed out himself at the college level.  Not sure he'd be a day one pick, but maybe a difference between 5/6th and 3rd.  Lots of money difference.  Maybe I'm wrong.

Agreed. With his smaller size and lack of PT this season, he’d be a 4th-6th round pick. 

Come back next season and with Ricochet gone, he’d rack up the tackle total and get as high as 2nd round.

16 minutes ago, Viper said:

Agreed. With his smaller size and lack of PT this season, he’d be a 4th-6th round pick. 

Come back next season and with Ricochet gone, he’d rack up the tackle total and get as high as 2nd round.

I don’t think it will change. He may get a little stronger but size won’t change and he has been starting since freshman year.

Each case is different and I wish OP well either way. KJ Britt had a similar situation last year and ended up going in the 5th round, after being projected higher in pre-season. There’s risk either way. 

I think there's situations where that makes sense, but even if he just wanted to preserve him and transfer to a better LB developing program, that'd make more sense than outright declaring. Dude had too much raw talent to just become a scrub 6th round pick fighting for a shot at the NFL

12 hours ago, AUreo said:

did you post that? i have no problem giving anyone props. other wise i do not understand your post.

20 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Those who quit on their teams should be glad I'm not an NFL GM. I'd red line them for being lousy team members. If they quit on their college team, they will probably lay down on their NFL team at some point. I never have had any use for a quitter.

54 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Is this thread a premature ePappoelation?

Hopefully it is. I want to be wrong 

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Is this thread a premature ePappoelation?

:no: :poke:

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

Those who quit on their teams should be glad I'm not an NFL GM. I'd red line them for being lousy team members. If they quit on their college team, they will probably lay down on their NFL team at some point. I never have had any use for a quitter.

I don’t think they would have to worry about it long, cuz you would be fired in short order.