QB Race is Set

AUght2win

20220119_002610.jpg

Where's Auburn Twitter when you need them? Can somebody deep fry this and throw our QB room in there?

Yes, the priority is still OL and WR, but I actually feel better now going into the spring at QB with the addition of Ashford. Not because I think Ashford will necessarily be the guy. But because it's one more insurance policy against a striking out at the position.

We've now got five guys who were on scholarship at Power 5 powerhouses to play football. They can't all be busts.

There has to be enough talent in at least one of them to be a really solid player. And even if there isn't an NFL caliber guy in the room, having five legitimate candidates will bring an intense competition that will hopefully accelerate development and reveal who does, and doesn't, have "it". There's also a wide variety of skillsets, strengths, and weaknesses. The agility of DD, the deep ball of Calzada, the physical tools of Finley, the athleticism of RA, and the raw-clay of HG.

My money is on Calzada to be the starter, but I'm looking forward to a wide open competition. 

TLDR: Confident that out of a highly versatile room of five P5 quarterbacks, Austin Davis and CBH can turn one into a solid player.

• Like 2

I'd rank them in this order:

Calzada, Finley, DD and Ashford, Geriner

I think Calzada's performance last year and his experience getting thrown in unexpectedly and responding the way he did gives the edge over Finley.

I'd give DD the edge on knowing the system, but Ashford on size. From what I've heard their skills are similar. 

Heard lots of good on Geriner so I'm guessing our final roster ends with Calzada, Ashford, and Geriner.

DD and TJ look for opportunities elsewhere. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I'd rank them in this order:

Calzada, Finley, DD and Ashford, Geriner

I think Calzada's performance last year and his experience getting thrown in unexpectedly and responding the way he did gives the edge over Finley.

I'd give DD the edge on knowing the system, but Ashford on size. From what I've heard their skills are similar. 

Heard lots of good on Geriner so I'm guessing our final roster ends with Calzada, Ashford, and Geriner.

DD and TJ look for opportunities elsewhere. 

I think that's how it ends up going into the Fall.  Interested to see how we get there, especially with Calzada's injury this spring.

• Like 1

Not the QB room i was hoping to go into the season with. But may the best man win and i hope the coaches have them all ready to go when fall gets here. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

Not the QB room i was hoping to go into the season with. But may the best man win and i hope the coaches have them all ready to go when fall gets here. 

Sometimes a legitimate competition amongst a group of guys that are on a somewhat level playing field, that competition will bring about a good starter and probably good backups too. 

I think TJ coming in plus Bobo/Harsin made Bo the best Bo we had seen. I'm expecting similar results this season.

14 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I think that's how it ends up going into the Fall.  Interested to see how we get there, especially with Calzada's injury this spring.

I must've missed the injury?

I believe that Calzada/Ashford battle for QB1 with Greiner pushing. Finley and Davis will be the odd men out. 

• Like 1

And we just thought this place got a little crazy every now and then. This is going to be Epic !!!!!.  

• Like 1

My prediction:

Ashford 

Calzada

Finley

Geriner 

DD

I’m mostly going with this order because I haven’t been impressed with what I’ve seen from Calzada or Finley. So I’m hoping Ashford ends up being better than both of them.

1 hour ago, aubearcat said:

I believe that Calzada/Ashford battle for QB1 with Greiner pushing. Finley and Davis will be the odd men out. 

I just don't see Ashford competing at all for #1. He is a project, similar to Gatewood but with more passing ability.

If DD or Finley stays, they will be #2 I think. Geriner on the outside of that.

If both leave, then I see Harsin going after a more experienced QB going through spring somewhere else and ends up out of the running there.

I don't see Harsin relying on Ashford for the next guy to go in if Calzada is out for any reason. 

• Like 1

May the best man win. My prediction at the end of spring is Calzada/Finley/Ashford/Geriner/Davis. The wildcard is if BOTH TJ and DD leave, does Harsin bring in yet another QB. Ideally a UGA castoff (Vandagriff) if Stetson does indeed come back for another year.

If so, my order for fall would be Calzada/transfer/Ashford/Geriner. Ashford in the Grant Loy clipboard role with HG possibly jumping him if the first two go down.

• Like 1

I haven't seen any stats for Ashford when I look him up. Did he see the field any while he was at Oregon or was his time there similar to how Dee Davis was for us this past season? I know Ashford is raw but he has alot of eligibility left and could really turn out to be special down the road for us.

1 hour ago, TeamZero77 said:

I haven't seen any stats for Ashford when I look him up. Did he see the field any while he was at Oregon or was his time there similar to how Dee Davis was for us this past season? I know Ashford is raw but he has alot of eligibility left and could really turn out to be special down the road for us.

Don't think he played a snap. He was qb 3/4

1 hour ago, TeamZero77 said:

Ashford got spring game practice at Oregon just like DD got in our spring game...

He's a better athlete probably that DD jus tbc of size too, but he probably is not as polished in his passing techniques as DD threw the ball a ton in HS...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

My prediction:

Ashford 

Calzada

Finley

Geriner 

DD

I’m mostly going with this order because I haven’t been impressed with what I’ve seen from Calzada or Finley. So I’m hoping Ashford ends up being better than both of them.

I agree with this. I think our best hope is that Ashford or DD shows out and turns into that guy. 

2 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

He redshirted

Edited by Didba
  • Thanks 1

I'm rooting for DD as he seems like the biggest growth stock. HG won't be ready yet.

But my actual prediction is 1. Calzada, 2. Finley (who doesn't transfer), 3. Ashford (who will have wildcat packages), 4. HG (redshirt) and DD leaving.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I'm rooting for DD as he seems like the biggest growth stock. HG won't be ready yet.

But my actual prediction is 1. Calzada, 2. Finley (who doesn't transfer), 3. Ashford (who will have wildcat packages), 4. HG (redshirt) and DD leaving.

This is exactly what I expect. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Yep.  I think the same.  Davis and Harsin seemed excited about Calzada.  So we’ll see….

We have got to get help on the OL and a couple of good WRs!  ZC might become a good game manager with good coaching and good pieces around him.   But he’s not a game changer.   If we don’t get him a lot of help, we’re looking at another pedestrian offense.  🤞🤞🤞

1 hour ago, AUinMS9528 said:

Yep.  I think the same.  Davis and Harsin seemed excited about Calzada.  So we’ll see….

We have got to get help on the OL and a couple of good WRs!  ZC might become a good game manager with good coaching and good pieces around him.   But he’s not a game changer.   If we don’t get him a lot of help, we’re looking at another pedestrian offense.  🤞🤞🤞

I’m not saying that Calzada is the next Burrow, but who would have said that Joe Burrow would have had the season he had his senior year after seeing him play as a junior?   

• Like 1